Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A floran prison on a magma planet is pretty hardcore. Seems ridiculous at first, but actually makes a lot of sense-where would the prisoners have to go if they escaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I just found this sweet legendary 2-handed sword. It shoots out three clouds each time it swings which each do I think around half its base damage, but it doesn't have any sort of symbol for that effect like fire/poison/whatever do. Is this something that's in progress, or are there just supposed to be really special items with undisplayed effects?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I beat the dragon with only a 24 dps shotgun. :shepface:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Anyone know coordinates of a planet with an avian settlement near the beam-down spot?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just finished taking apart an entire large sewer dungeon dungeon, foreground and background, and putting it into my pack because I wanted the blocks. Especially the pipes.

Took over 6 hours. :shepface: Gonna have to find a use for these, now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I already mined all the poop and threw it away, there were only 248 blocks. :colbert:

I kinda wanna make some sort of underground chamber with pipes snaking all around a central hub, but I don't know which planet to 100% commit to making my home on. This one with an avian village is cute, but it's also T1 so I won't get any good ores mining this out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So what exactly is up with

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So, hold on a minute. Is there really currently no way to drop/place just one of the items in a stack? I can't find out how but that doesn't seem possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That just splits a stack in two.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Exodee posted:

If I remember correctly, holding the stack on your cursor and right clicking on an empty inventory slot should do the trick.
Whenever I do this, it just places half the stack. :shrug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CapnBry posted:

Thank goodness someone else had the same luck I did. I was up past 190 when one finally dropped. 7% my rear end!
All your luck was taken by people like me who dropped one with the first kill we got. :smug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just saw on the Starbound reddit:

And this happened, so this might very well be a thing!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I remember someone mentioned it, but I'm having trouble finding it now, but there is a way to take your world files, save them, then shove them back in the right folder to get back to your world, right? Because that sounds like exactly what I want to do even if it means no new stuff on my home planet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The human mech should, instead of the guns it has now, use whatever guns you have in L+R. That way it would be worth using(use 2 two-handers at once!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best part of this stream is the drunk guy having a giggle fit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, basically. Would make plenty of sense with the robotic crafting table.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not when the AI is set to "constantly ram into player".
Shotguns and explosives knock enemies backwards.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You also have a delay before being able to fire ranged weapons after switching to them, and it's equal to (1/rate of fire) * 2 seconds, so it can take up to over 6 seconds after switching your weapon before you can fire a shot. If the delay wasn't there, ranged weapons would be somewhat useful. As they are in the base game, they're plainly poo poo.
In some situations versus powerful NPCs that'll wreck your poo poo even with t10 armor if you bumrush them, you can deal with them by picking them off from a distance, or by using explosive shots to hurt them through walls/floors, or bouncing shots around corners, etc. And it'll always take time to approach and use melee, even with butterfly boost/energy dash, so not having a gun equipped first to shoot them while you close in is a wasted opportunity.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

And with energy dash/bubble boost, the time to close in melee / dodge attacks is far, far less than over 6 seconds with an ideal ranged weapon, unless you are not adept at controlling your character.
The idea is to have your gun out first, not have a melee out, then switch.

And I know I've ran across NPCs that have wrecked me in basically a few seconds while wearing t10 armor, so I dunno what to tell you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's called the refinery and yeah it basically rules.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

When does this stop being a waste of time, by the way? I've never been past tier three.

I mean waste of time like, sure you can refine a copper bar for double the amount, but it took you two ore to make the bar, so...
I'm pretty sure it's so that if you realize you want to get a bunch more pixels, but only have bars because you smelted all your ore, you can still refine them and make just as much money.
e: except with diamonds of course but I'm sure that'll be fixed.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 22, 2013

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

XboxPants posted:

And if we're also including things you can find, there are laser guns and giant robots and plasma grenades and poo poo.
Unfortunately, them not being craftable means you don't have guaranteed okay guns, just random chance of dropping guns that are usually lovely. I really don't get why we can't craft guns, hoping it's planned at some point.

Also I think the bow is lovely to incentivize you to move away from cooked meat to better sources of food, ie farms.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Literally Kermit posted:

I think it should be clearer that the more involved recipes bestow benefits beyond health regeneration (and better health regeneration than bandages). It also blew my mind that I could cook cooked meat again to make meat chunks.

That doesn't necessarily encourage farming, because as soon as I find a food merchant that sells wheat, I make bread and then burg the gently caress up with all my accumulated raw alien meat.
I'll freely admit I didn't farm or cook anything besides meat before I had already reached t10 armor since I had no idea it'd be actually helpful.

Also oh my lord building in this game feels so much better than any other minecraft-like. You have soooo much reach, can break multiple things at once or just one, and most importantly compared to terraria putting/removing poo poo in the background is sososo much easier. It just handles so nicely, normally I'm put off building big things in these games but I know I'm gonna do stupid-big megabuilds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So if this update wasn't a character wipe, when will it come? :ohdear:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So, who wants infinite instant carrots?

:dance:

e: version 2-

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 23, 2013

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That sounds more like dungeons/villages on previously generated planets have been removed. I know I've run across one dungeon already.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Freakbox posted:

You know- a bit late...but...why/how do Avians have boobs, now that I think about it...? Birds don't produce milk- they just chunder into their kids' mouths. :crossarms:
Let's not get all DnD dragonborn debate up in here.

At this point I'm really starting to wish building blocks could be made via pixel printer. I don't understand how it'd unbalance anything to let me make soft brick blocks en masse. Makes big builds a huge hassle right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cowabanga posted:

I've always wondered what you guys would do for fun after level 10. I hit it and I feel like I'm lost. From what I'm seeing people just use that mod that lets you customize your ship but that's about it.
Build stuff? There's really not all that much yet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, it's completely worthless. Unless you specifically build tunnels for it on your home, I guess, but why not build normal tunnels?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The worst thing about vines isn't what tool you use, it's that if you don't cut them from exactly the top, there'll be a bit left and you won't be able to break the blocks it's attached to. With trees, you don't need to cut the exact bottom segment for it all to fall-it should work the same with vines, cutting them anywhere making the whole vine fall so you don't have to pillar up to the just-barely out of reach start of the vine to cut it all down and get at that ore in the blocks it's growing from.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

J.A.B.C. posted:

Just got the game, started my way through it, and so far I have to say one of the most glaring things I've noticed is a lack of progress.

Sure, you have the starter quests, exploring other planets and such, but nothing really catches interest in progression. It's fun to wander around the planets, but that's all I seem to be doing at this point after I beat the UFO boss.

Also, there seems to be no progression for weapons and armor after the iron tier. I've gotten a gold pickaxe, but once I get to my scavenger set and regular sword, no more options come up to upgrade or improve them. I've checked the wikis, but all they tell me is that there are better tiers, not how to progress to them.

I know it's early access, but hopefully the game can get itself onto a better sort of track as development continues.

Also, where do I get a gun or a gun recipe? Because plinking the UFO boss to death with a hunting bow while hiding in a cave was a horrible boss fight.
You use the molten core you got from the UFO to make a metalworking station, then with that, combine iron and coal to make steel. That's the second tier(for the armor you will need to make silver armor first). Then you'll need to make a brain extractor, get a superior brain with it, use that+steel to make a robot, kill it, use what you get from it to make a robotic crafting table, use that to get to sector three(with threat level 3 planets) which has titanium, use titanium to make another tier of armor/weapons, etc. etc. etc.

There are ten tiers of gear, and you're on the first one. I'd suggest crafting every interesting looking tool and gadget you haven't made yet, and probably googling for more detailed info on progression since it's not very clear right now, but be assured, there's more stuff for you to get. And be sure to make and use starmaps.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The flashlight is already obsolete once you get what, 20 wood, 5 iron, and a few hundred pixels? That's all it takes to craft the lantern stick now, right?

e:nevermind, it requires robotic. Still, I think I've only actually used the flashlight maybe 3 times.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The flashlight is cool, but ultimately bad since torches are cheap and if you put them everywhere, you'll
a.) be able to easily see where you've been and thus not get lost once you're trying to find your way back up which is not really worth giving up for atmosphere, and
b.) have an easier time finding ores as they illuminate them through rock, so you don't need to scan over everything with your mouse.

Plus 2-handers are basically just the best!
Torches! :supaburn:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ablative posted:

This raises the question of why would you not be a floran, repeatedly noted to be the Best Race?
Because avians are hella cuties. :3:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've seen basically the same guys more than once. With that head, they seem to generate pretty much the same visually each time right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Don't jump up and smack him, dodge from left to right and plink away at him with a lovely bow or gun. Melee's a bad time against him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They don't give pixels, just useless short-lived buffs sometimes. Hope you enjoy your 30 seconds of glowing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you've played Terraria, the amount of stuff currently in Starbound is pretty underwhelming. What makes it interesting right now is its potential+design goals.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

xzzy posted:

No the real problem with a fresh character is the unbalanced boss fights that every single one of us cheeses to win. :colbert:
I did all of them legit first try, y'all need to step it up. :colbert:

Pilchenstein posted:

I really don't understand why you'd play either game if you weren't bringing at least some motivation to build with you. It'd be like playing Minecraft for the rpg elements.
Terraria is more about the rpg elements, though. For most anyways. It's a game about exploring and beating up all the different 2D bosses with your gear you got exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Or, alternatively, get all your pixels from using the refinery and don't take them out unless you absolutely need to, thereby storing tens of thousands of pixels in the refinery with absolutely no cost or drawback of any form.

• Locked thread