Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I really liked Rick pointing out that love potions are basically roofies and are immoral :colbert:.

Agreed. Really glad they addressed that head on.

The ending felt good enough to be season finale, and yet it's only episode five. No idea how they're going to top Morty burying his own corpse after being forced to abandon his family in a post apocalyptic hellscape, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PostNouveau posted:

I can see why that episode was originally scheduled as the 2nd. It seems like a thesis statement for Rick's character. The universe is arbitrary and cruel, and he just tries not to think about it too much.

Of course by "Not thinking about it" it he causes the universe to become an even worse place. His refusal to consider the consequences of his actions is the cause of almost every awful thing that happens on the show, but I guess that's kind of the point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm pretty sure the next episode is going to be Summer-centric:

It's titled "Raising Gazorpazorp". Raising implies helping something grow up, and Gazorpazorp sounds like the name of some sort of other worldly monster.In the opening credits we see random clips from various episodes, some of which have yet to air. One of the clips (the last one, just before the title pops up) shows Summer holding a baby cthulhu like monster in a spaceship with Rick and Morty.

So, yeah, if my prediction is correct (and I hope it is) we're about to get an episode with Summer taking care of a lovecraftion horror for some reason and it'll be equal parts :3: and :cthulhu:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 4, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I think Summer is smarter than she lets on. She often seems to be the one doing the practical thing.

Summer already seems smart, or at least very confident. She handles Rick much smoother than the rest of her family. She’s not trying to be nice to him like her mother, she doesn’t let him get under her skin like her father, and she’s not afraid or intimidated by him like Morty.

When she calls him a dick it’s not because she’s upset or trying to be mean, she’s just stating a fact. Rick goes on to say that her opinion means very little to him, but it’s pretty obvious she doesn’t care much about his opinion either.

e:

Alan Smithee posted:

Wtf no Archer either, is this like a seasonal thing

Kind of. They're putting off airing new episodes of Archer because of the winter Olympics.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RaspberryCommie posted:

This has probably already been posted in here but:

I don't think this scene will ever not be funny to me. Just staring at the gif made me laugh out loud.

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/not-real-life.html

I just found this old promo. Watching it made me fall in love with the show all over again so I thought I'd share it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I’ve been thinking about the psychological make-up of a meseek and this is what I’ve come up with:

Meseeks are born (so to speak) with a large amount of inherent knowledge.

From the moment it comes into existence a Meseek knows how to talk, how to walk, how it was made, how to open pickle jars, and so on. It is also incapable of feeling of happiness, yet is still aware of what happiness is and that it will never experience it.

Instead of being driven by a desire to grow, learn, and reproduce the way humans are a Meseek is instead motivated by two overwhelming compulsions:

A) Fulfill an assigned task (any task)
B) Die.

Compulsion A overrides compulsion B which explains why Meseeks don’t simply stop breathing or walk in front of a car once they’re summoned and fight back when attacked. Meseeks are unable to stop thinking about compulsion B even as they fulfill compulsion A.

When compulsion A is satisfied a Meseek instantly moves on to compulsion B and blows himself up.

An inability to fulfill these compulsions will rapidly drive a Meseek to madness.

Sidenote: I’ve decided that creating a Meseek is an inherently evil act. No matter what you have a Meseek do for you or how much good it causes you’re still intentionally causing pain to a sentient creature for personal gain since meseeks cannot exist without suffering.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 15, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The same argument could be made for bringing a child into the world but unlike a Meseeks we have no directives to focus on. It's all chaos and suffering.

I’m trying and failing to come up with an argument against this. You’re right, suffering is an inevitable part of human existence and propagation of the species prolongs that suffering indefinitely.

Rick’s “Don’t think about it” advice makes more and more sense the longer you think about something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Maybe Morty is going to just straight up murder Rick. There's only so many adventure a kid can take, you know?

The second season will be a slice of life comedy where Morty tries to navigate high school while finding new places to hide his grandfathers rotting corpse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

skyrim modding will forever be a well of mystery and wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdbZdNDzTGY

Jesus Christ how horrifying.

Seriously though, this sounds like an awesome/terrifying mod. I don't play skyrim, but I'd love to watch a video of it in action and hear some of the lines that get recorded for it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MrAristocrates posted:

Why would anyone make this

I think the better question is "why would anyone make so MANY of these?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqPt-a1lb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74IpnfRhG7U

(best one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_943191347&feature=iv&src_vid=XsG-riwU7P4&v=_e0wR6ka4Qw

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

From the AMA from last night.

Dan Harmon

This stuff about Beth is fascinating. I hope there's an episode in the future that focuses on Rick's ex-wife and what his relationship with her was like.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What's the name of the song that plays near the end when Beth and Jerry hug after seeing their alternate selves reunite?

This was probably the happiest and sweetest episode of the series so far, I can only assume that means the next episode will be the most horrific and depressing.

Oh well at least the family will always have fond memories of their vacation to "hamster in butt world" :unsmith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Argue posted:

Seal My Fate by Belly.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure the reason we didn't see many alternate versions of Summer is because they only looked at about 3 universes (the one where Beth go an abortion, one where they're playing shoots and ladders, and one where they're playing yahtzee). I'm sure there's a universe out there where she doing something cool and different like moving to the southwest and, I dunno, doing something with turquoise.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gumby posted:

Did anybody else notice the version of Game of Thrones where Tyrion is normal-size, everyone else is a dwarf, and they all still hate him?

I like the randomness of this show so much.

I did! I also noticed the game of no-pants baseball that comes right after it. I love it when shows throw in split second jokes like that, shows dedication to the craft.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Summers has such strange, almost whimsical, sense of morality. She’s willing to help The Devil himself as long as he’s nice to her and treats her with respect. She refused to deprive Snuffles of sentience even though he was clearly dangerous because that would be “Indian giving”. She’s clearly has a strong desire to do the right thing, but her idea of what’s right doesn't quite match what’s socially acceptable.

She’s also not above using steroids to get super buff with her grandpa so they can punch Satan in the face when he tries to Zuckleberg her, which is pretty awesome in and of itself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WickedHate posted:

If he did though, they'd be dead. It balances out.

Morty would only be dead if he had stood right next to Rick while he was screwing. If he had handed Rick the screw driver and left the room (which he probably would have done since he was late for the dance) only Rick would have died in the explosion.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

zoux posted:

Also, since we're gonna overanalyze the continuity and worldbuilding in this show any way, it's super hosed up that all the horrible Morty torturing was actually done by a Morty! Also "if there's any truth in this reality it's that Ricks don't care about Mortys". Really hope evil Morty is a recurring character.

This was the ending song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Js-XbNj6Tk&feature=kp

This show has great ending songs!

I have a feeling Evil Morty is being set up to do something cool later. I hope he pairs up with Doofus Rick.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PostNouveau posted:

So Rick gets Morty killed and has to cash in that free Morty voucher, but he ends up with Evil Morty as the replacement.

But it turns out Morty hadn't really died; and after seeing how easily Rick replaced him he becomes disillusioned (even more so then he already is) and turns to a life of villainy and time travel eventually becoming...Evil Morty.

BAM! full circle!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WickedHate posted:

That Rick was a great friend. What he told Jerry about his coin collection was positively heartwarming.

Yeah, that Rick was easily the nicest Rick in the entire multiverse (which isn't saying much but still), I wouldn't mind having a friend like that. :unsmith:

I do hope one of the up coming episodes focuses on Beth, every other character has gotten way more screen time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JT Jag posted:

Holy poo poo. Doofy Rick said he was given a Morty because he never had kids. What if he was lying? What if him and Evil Morty are an original pair?

This makes perfect sense. When Doofy Rick is with Evil Morty it hides Evil Morty's genius brainwave pattern the in the same way a regular Morty and Rick pairing works.

Also: Evil Morty uses Doofy Rick as his man on the inside to spy on the council of Rick's. NO ONE EVER SUSPECTS THE poo poo EATER!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm sure his wife does that, too. Let's be honest, Beth and the kids take after grandpa. :v:

Nah, from what we've seen his kids treat him with respect. Not because he necessarily does anything to earn their respect (so far he's been a pretty crappy dad) they're just decent people and I doubt they'd take any pleasure in kicking a man when he's down. Summer and Morty are both more mature and considerate than their parents/grandfather; which isn't really a hard bar to clear, but still.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Even though Rick makes everything exciting, I think Morty is my favorite character. I'm kind of disappointed that Morty is often the uncool guy, because he isn't as risky (ricksky) as Rick. Morty already has the fact that he's dumb as Rick is smart, but he also seems to be the only one with responsibility, which definitely balances out Summer and Rick, but I wish he wasn't depicted as so lame because of that. I WANT MORTY DEVELOPMENT.Do we have to wait a whole year for season 2?

It's always weird hearing Morty described as dumb because he usually makes responsible decisions and is occasionally pretty insightful. I mean, sure, he doesn't do well in school, but when it comes to choices in the real world he's pretty on the ball for a 14 year old. He doesn't really seem all that stupid, just passive and a little naive.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I like morty and I like his character, but I have a hard time believing he's the least intelligent guy in the entire universe. I mean, there seemed to be a lot of way dumber people at that party, I'm just saying.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I loved Rixty Minutes.

Is it too early to start talking about what we'd like to see in season two? Because here's what's on my list:

* Beth centric b-plots, or even an a-plot. She seems like an interesting character and I'd like to see that explored.
* Lovecraftian inspired horror (Jerry develops 'the innsmouth look'! Hilarity ensues!)
* We find out what happened to Rick's ex-wife and what his relationship with her was like.
* The return of Evil Morty.
* The return of Doofus Rick.
* Something involving a giant crab. Giant crabs are comedy gold.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

a shameful boehner posted:

Hey, I'll take it over Mumford and Sons.

This guy is ON it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cross-posting from the Danny DeVito thread in GBS:

:swoon:

Holy poo poo that is perfect. They even have the same speech patterns (kind of)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just found out that the woman who voices Summer (Spencer Grammer) is the daughter of Kelsey Grammer.

Not sure why that blew my mind but it did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvIvNBu-Y

Summer/Spencer is a loving babe... dayyyymmm

I just watched this, I'm really excited that Summer is going to be featured a lot in season two. She's a cool character and plays off both Rick and Morty well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is a pretty cool remix, and it makes me miss the show even more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocTijYhFP-Y

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Panfilo posted:

"She had a puffy vagina"
"SO? Whats so bad about that?!"

I love this joke because I honestly can't figure out what would be so bad about a puffy vagina. Like, what does that even mean?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Here's my recomendation: Watch Major Lazor.

It's funny, beautifully animated, and has great music. Start with the most recent episode "Throwback Thursday" because even though I like the first episode I feel it's a little weaker than some of the others they've done.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

Seems like there were a few animated shows related to the White House that would make such a statement a very bad idea. What were they... I think one was called That's My Bush or something, and there was one for Clinton's cat, I think? Just... just awful.

I think that's my bush was live action, but there was also one called lil bush or something that was animated. I never saw a full episode, but I swear it's real.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Don't watch Allen Gregory no matter what happens.

I kind of want to an Allen Gregory retrospective just so others can know how awful it is without having to watch it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's always fun to read withering takedowns of poo poo as bad as Allen Gregory.

But don't do it.

We'll see.

Babe Magnet posted:

Major Lazer is actually like 3 people, those were just dudes in the video. But yes.

They have a cartoon and it rules. J.K. Simmons loving kills every time his character pops up.

Agreed, he reminds me a lot of the James Woods version of Hades.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Nothing from that show was funny even on paper. And it was ugly as hell. And it completely failed in execution. Really there was not a single moment that made it seem like it could be okay.

The theme song was good: https://vimeo.com/32712389

I feel kind of sad that these genuinely good 23 seconds of music are forever tied to an unwatchable show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

... and I bet you $2 that the producers absolutely hated that song, but they used it because the song Jonah Hill recorded for it was still in post production. Which is just as well, because it was probably just a bunch of auto-tuned samples of him snorting lines of cocaine.

I'm not taking that bet, I'd be better off just setting those two dollars on fire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BambooEarpick posted:

So wait, I'm unclear. Is Rick and Morty back? or? What?

Rick and Morty returns July 26th.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mr. Fowl posted:

In the deepest of the darkwebz apparently.

Yeah, I can usually find this stuff pretty easily but none of the sites I use have them :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm really sad they killed off Krombopulos Michael, this show is killing off more likable characters in 2 episodes than a season of Game of Thrones

He still exists in other timelines, like the one where Rick and Morty just hung out and played Roy all day and also probably ate delicious space pizza.

I really like Summer, I hope she gets to go on more adventures.

"What kind of a monster are you?!"

"A competent one" :smug:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there ever another point in the series where Picard says "Thanks to my 50 years of experience living on an alien farm I have some sort of useful knowledge or skill for this situation!"

Cause it seems like you could get Roy a PHD in a different discipline every time you play and get decades of learning done in a few seconds.

Usually in these kinds of "living an entire lifetime in a few moments" situations you only retain vague dreamlike memories of what transpired, if you even remember anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megaspel posted:

Same, exactly.

It pains me to see there's no China Il thread.

Maybe we could start one when season 3 starts up.

• Locked thread