Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

We call it the "gently caress you I'm a bus" factor

madeintaipei posted:

Always heard it as the, "lug nut law". If it has more lug nuts than you, you lose. Win instead by staying alive.

*ahem*

Right of Weigh

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
My grandad used to say Right of Might, not sure which is better.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Always heard it as the, "lug nut law". If it has more lug nuts than you, you lose. Win instead by staying alive.

My motorcycle has zero lug nuts. Checks out

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cactus Ghost posted:

Dashcam Thread: Yes I ran the red light pretty badly, but

Thanks for making this a reality, mods! Perfection :D
(Also, that video definitely needed some Looney Tunes sound effects, like the classic 'skidding to a stop' one, IMO)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cactus Ghost posted:

everyone on the road, including you, is putting everyone else around them in literal mortal peril all the time and we mustnt forget that

well, everyone driving. hence the moral heirarchy of pedestrian > cyclist > motorcyclist > driver > forklift driver

That's better.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Man does bad crimes, forgets he has a dashcam. No injuries, but the video is harrowing.
Also make sure you've got an ad-blocker on if you click the link, the site is a disaster:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/in...ff-6f164b0c5969

quote:

Newly obtained dashcam footage shows a Portland man plowing past blockades and nearly hitting several people including small children along the Rose Festival’s Grand Floral parade route in June.

Sidney Mecham, 42, of Portland pleaded not guilty to 38 counts, including felony unlawful use of a weapon and attempting to elude an officer.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

dashcam faithfully captures uninterrupted HD video of my crime spree and my face reacting to my own crime spree.

Me: "That could have been anybody, and since when is it a crime to try and run over pedestrians with a TRUKK? Not Guilty!"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so I bought an VIOFO A129 Plus Duo, the reviews don't give me the warm and fuzzies, but honestly none of these that aren't in the hundreds of dollars range give me the warm fuzzies:

1. dying in a year
2. capacitors blowing
3. setup not working half the time
4. not being able to read license plates

etc

I'll see if I can set it up myself, I wonder if I can just do the regular install without the parking setup since I can't quite figure out how I would connect such a thing to my Electric Vehicle anyways, and then maybe do the always on setup later?

I'm not keen on buying electronic products that die a year or two later, allegedly should be in tomorrow, and I bought a samsung 256g endurance card to go with it. I just kind of need SOMETHING before i go on my roadtrip next month

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 20, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Failson posted:

Man does bad crimes, forgets he has a dashcam. No injuries, but the video is harrowing.
Also make sure you've got an ad-blocker on if you click the link, the site is a disaster:

drat.. that dude has some anger management issues.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

He’s also a child molester :hellyeah:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Having an always on camera is really rough since you'll be running it 24/7 and basically run through memory cards quickly by the constant writing and deleting, so if you do go for that mode prepare yourself to already consider the SD cards as consumables that need to be replaced every year or so.

I've had a street guardian for 4 years, and when I got my new car, I switched to the viofo a119 duo, which I've now had for 4+ years.

Had to get 1 new SD card since then, but it still is kicking around.

Mentioned before but unless you drop serious cash nearly all dashcams use the same camera sensor so quality on all of them are pretty terrible for reading license plates except in perfect conditions.

The viofo can't really record license plates but really the use case is to show its not your fault if someone tries to insurance scam you, get funny car driving videos, and post horrifying clips of people trying to murder you driving cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I forget which Youtube channel I saw it on, but one of the people who covers dashcams a lot went in depth on license plate visibility and basically demonstrated that a standard wide angle dashcam view is just never going to be amazing. Some are a bit better than others but if you really want to reliably capture plates you want a different lens that shoots a much narrower angle focused purely on where license plates are.

There's a reason police cars with ALPR systems have a half dozen cameras mounted everywhere, all with big lenses aimed low.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Failson posted:

Page is blocked in the UK and I assume the rest of Europe. Direct link to the video on YouTube here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Strangely enough the page wasn't blocked in Australia. What a horrible piece of poo poo that Sidney Mecham is

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just read the license plate out loud, because your eyes are going to see it better than any lens. Problem solved.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You Am I posted:

Strangely enough the page wasn't blocked in Australia. What a horrible piece of poo poo that Sidney Mecham is

It's an EU thing. Some American websites vastly misunderstand GDPR and just refuse requests coming from the EU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

dashcam faithfully captures uninterrupted HD video of my crime spree and my face reacting to my own crime spree.

Me: "That could have been anybody, and since when is it a crime to try and run over pedestrians with a TRUKK? Not Guilty!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acAk1VM-p-A

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Page is blocked in the UK and I assume the rest of Europe. Direct link to the video on YouTube here.

crazy how many comments are people saying the roads shouldnt be closed for a parade :wtf:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

crazy how many comments are people saying the roads shouldnt be closed for a parade :wtf:

Because far too many people these days are stupid and don't care about anyone except themselves and their own convenience.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Closing a bunch of exits in a row and trapping people in a crowded lovely freeway that goes past the city you are trying to get to, the way Portland likes to do it, is significantly more disruptive than whatever normal parade closure and detour one might imagine a city run by reasonable adults would do

So yeah, every single downtown exit should not be shut down for a friggin parade. Keep it to surface streets people can possibly avoid, poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: eh not really.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

freeway exits should always be closed

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Jeeesus Christ :catstare:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Closing a bunch of exits in a row and trapping people in a crowded lovely freeway that goes past the city you are trying to get to, the way Portland likes to do it, is significantly more disruptive than whatever normal parade closure and detour one might imagine a city run by reasonable adults would do

So yeah, every single downtown exit should not be shut down for a friggin parade. Keep it to surface streets people can possibly avoid, poo poo

That video kinda demonstrates why the exits need to be closed. And it's one Saturday morning a year.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Failson posted:

That video kinda demonstrates why the exits need to be closed. And it's one Saturday morning a year.

Every year for almost 100 years too. Everyone here knows about that parade.

The hilarious part of the video to me is when he goes back into the barricaded area because it obviously has less traffic.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Failson posted:

LloydDobler posted:

Every year for almost 100 years too. Everyone here knows about that parade.

The hilarious part of the video to me is when he goes back into the barricaded area because it obviously has less traffic.

Oh wow, so it's a Saturday morning, too?! Crazy how aggro some people get. Love how he just keeps casually going around the cops
(Also, I wonder if he ever disconnected his phone call? Looked like he just let it slip from his hand mid-call, so maybe his wife/whoever got to hear his swearing and the sirens the whole time? :D )

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
edit: not worth it.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Normal Person posted:

Normal Person posted:

what were you planning on defending the road raging convicted pedophile in the video?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah I must admit, I'm kinda curious to know what was almost worth two consecutive posts, on this topic! :D

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Nah, quite the opposite. And then I fat-fingered the edit.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

:justpost:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

said the Cactus Ghost

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just replaced a DOD LS473W+ that started having problems staying turned on (which corrupting every microSD card I put into it) with a Viofo A119 Mini 2 that keeps tripping the gently caress out and shutting off all of the time and getting stuck in a loop of shouting "Recording Mode Enabled" at me as I'm driving. It seems to start happening when I really put my foot into the gas pedal, leading me to suspect that an electrical surge is causing it to flip the gently caress out. I have a hunch this might be what eventually caused my DOD to start malfunctioning as well, but the DOD eats SD cards even when plugged into a regular 5W USB power adaptor indoors, so I can't quite say it's the electrical circuit in the car that's causing that camera's issues. Has anyone had anything similar happen before?

I'm hardwired into the power mirror always-on switch in the car's dashboard fuse box, going from 12V fuse-tap-to-cigarette-lighter-to-USB. I've tried two different cigarette lighter USB adaptors that had different wattage and amp outputs, they both still do this. I had had problems with the power mirror control switches a while back, so in attempting to troubleshoot the dashcam electrical issues, I replaced the mirror switches, but that didn't change anything. The last thing I've yet to change out is the fusebox-to-12V-cigarette lighter adaptor that came with the DOD camera, but I'm torn between ordering one of those and just returning the Viofo, as it seems to be a commonly reported issue that these cameras can just trip the gently caress out and go nuts, ostensibly as it concerns the GPS module's questionable connection to the camera, according to some of the other forums I've read up on this problem.

Fuckin' dash cams, man.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Have you tried disabling features to see if something is wrong with the auto detection? Like the g-sensor or something is failing, so turn off automatic recording of events?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nocheez posted:

Have you tried disabling features to see if something is wrong with the auto detection? Like the g-sensor or something is failing, so turn off automatic recording of events?

I've been toying around with a few of the settings but there are still a handful of things I need to try, and after work I'll be trying another cigarette lighter on a different circuit entirely. I'm not enthusiastic about how it goes into timelapse mode every time I stop at a red light (aka parking mode), only to shout "Record Mode On" every time the light turns green and I start moving again. It makes me question whether it's even been recording at all since I got in the car. Very confusing feature tbh. I can disable it entirely but then it'll just be chewing through memory while the car is parked, so I would prefer to be able to use it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not actual dashcams, but the schad thread is rich with driving content this weekend:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have a 20 year old Ford Escape and it wouldn't even blink going up a slope like that. That pathetic thing is a loving embarrassment.

Video for those without Twitter.

(sound is an absolute must)

https://i.imgur.com/M4q39aO.mp4

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jesus christ that second one
driver is obviously having some kind of mental crisis or breakdown but every single bystander getting anywhere near that poo poo near the end is being stupid as hell. It's very lucky nobody got run over.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

so I bought an VIOFO A129 Plus Duo, the reviews don't give me the warm and fuzzies, but honestly none of these that aren't in the hundreds of dollars range give me the warm fuzzies:

1. dying in a year
2. capacitors blowing
3. setup not working half the time
4. not being able to read license plates

etc

I'll see if I can set it up myself, I wonder if I can just do the regular install without the parking setup since I can't quite figure out how I would connect such a thing to my Electric Vehicle anyways, and then maybe do the always on setup later?

I'm not keen on buying electronic products that die a year or two later, allegedly should be in tomorrow, and I bought a samsung 256g endurance card to go with it. I just kind of need SOMETHING before i go on my roadtrip next month

I have the same model and it's been great, but it took me awhile to get it there. I got it installed and it worked great for two weeks then started erroring out. I contacted viofo, and they had me run through replacing the SD card 3 times (they kept changing their mind about which were approved) and eventually determined it was the cable between the front and rear cameras, which they sent for free. Of course I had to pay again to get it installed but it's been working great since. The WiFi feature is temperamental but it's easy enough to just pull the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
VIOFO A129 Plus Duo has been in my car for 3 years now no issues. I just ran the cable myself tucking into the trim, down the door panels and up the A pillar. I'd buy it again. The rear camera is less useful than the front camera. Not sure I'd go dual cam next time.