Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm not very :tinfoil:, but I've put electrical tape over my laptop's camera because it creeps me out to have it always looking at me. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to neuter their cameras if they don't want 'em. I bet the production version runs through OnStar and carries something like a >$20 monthly subscription fee to use. Not to say that it wouldn't collect/transmit data without the subscription... yeah maybe I am a little paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

spog posted:

I like the Roadrunner 'meep meep'

It sounds like he's acquiring missile lock on the BMW

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Almost rear-ended a guy on the way home today, even though I was doing >30mph and 5-6 car lengths back. My eyes were on him the whole time, but panicked for a split second when I noticed I was gaining on him very quickly. I didn't even notice he'd come to a stop.

His brake lights are full-on when I pull up to him, and they blink off at about :19. The next little while is stop and go as I watch his back end like a hawk. From the looks of his tail gate, I'm not the first person with whom he's almost caused a wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5iVwzeahA8

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 21, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

lmao zebong posted:

What is the best dashcam that captures GPS coordinates/estimated speed and still has decent camera footage during day and night? Discreet would be nice since my neighborhood isn't exactly the best area but that's not a huge necessity. Are there any decently priced ones or am I looking to be dropping a couple hundred bucks?

I've been using the KD links X1 for a few months now, has been working great through the heat of the summer. It was ~150 off amazon back in the spring, not sure what it's running now.

Visibility wise, I used black electrical tape to mask the lens bezel and the screen printed logo on the face. I can't get it any higher on the windshield due to the supplied mount, and since the GPS receiver is embedded in the mount I haven't tried to fab anything up. I don't think you'd see it unless you're specifically looking for it, but I usually take it down if I'm parking at a stadium or something.

I uploaded a video from tonight to show you what you get at night, you can't really make out license plates but I've also got the cam zoomed out as far as it can go. The software gives you a map of where the video covered, but there's no way to export the GPS data or link it to any other videos as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SmWqd7UMI

`Nemesis posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is gps info important? It seems superfluous to me.

I got creative and overlaid GPS data onto the video I shot while going around the 'ring earlier this summer, it took a lot of fiddling and still isn't 100% perfect but was fun just the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWlSKFAotjI

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Still have no idea why people post incriminating videos of themselves (or of their buddies) let alone record in the first place.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

nm posted:

Honda Insight :colbert:

The jokes just write themselves...

That poor man is someone's father, someone's grandfather, someone's husband, he didn't deserve to die that way, but likely would have if the reporters weren't there to step in.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Well, extreme for the area. Just as roads down in Florida are probably designed for a sustained +120F but not -20F. Each state's DOT will design with a different 'neutral temperature' in mind, and if pavement keeps buckling summer after summer, Minnesota's will have to get ratcheted up.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This stuff is pretty nice, 3M's Dual Lock. Adhesive behind the strip sticks incredibly solid to glass as well as the dot strip sections of windshields, not sure about molded plastic though. I pop my EZ pass from car to car all the time and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. The barbs are big enough that I doubt they'd clog up too readily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DZJQ0A

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
1st clip: My favorite neighborhood 5-stop intersection. Pickup truck juuuust out of the camera's sight line to the right arrives at the same time I do. The two cars there before us take their turn, and since he's to my right he gets the right of way. Car on my left either can't see me, isn't looking, or doesn't give a gently caress. Idiots like these are why I've got a camera.

2nd clip: Pedestrian crossing a 4-lane road does everything in his power to try and get hit. Crosses one lane then stops, straddling the dashed line between. Then crosses into the median and stops at the very edge of it. The way he walks and acts reminds me of a replicant's first attempts at mimicking human behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLu4mgu_yXQ

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Being liveleak, I kept waiting for the idiot who forced the situation to get clipped by traffic passing in the travel lane. More concerned with getting a 'gotcha' for the internet than for his own life.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

Insane truck crash and a lesson in poor highway construction.

No one died, http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...0919-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irE5z6X2pL0

That link is horrific. Video is pretty terrifying, too.

94 in that area is the main vein to Wisconsin from Chicago. Pretty dense suburbs & retail along that area with high traffic volumes, but the exits are pretty spread out, so the speeds between get higher than if there was a ton of traffic merging on and off. Few exits mean tons of people will use the ones they can, and exiting traffic backs up to a standstill past the offramps and onto the main lanes of the highway. 70mph avg to 5-10mph, and when people are crawling along off their brakes, you don't necessarily see a lot of brake lights. Truck driver's eyes were probably buried in his GPS or behind his eyelids, didn't even brake or swerve.

When I come up on traffic stopped for construction and nobody is close behind me, I stare into the rearview looking out for the people too preoccupied to look for me. Sometimes I'll even pop my hazards on. It's scary watching someone just barreling towards you and you have no idea if they'll stop or not. If you've been stopped a whole 30 seconds and the guy behind you has to panic brake & swerve to miss you, I think you should be allowed to go back and damage their car as if they'd hit you in the first place.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 22, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

buttcrackmenace posted:

down the road we went. off in the distance - headlights coming toward us. Closer. Closer. Waitaminute is he oh poo poo THAT MANIAC IS IN OUR LANE WERE GOING TO DIE

This is another reason for drivers to keep to the right lane when they're not passing anyone. If there's a wrong-way driver coming at you on a divided multi-lane highway, but you're both keeping the right as trained, it's really no more dangerous than being on a regular 2-lane road.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Came up on some Comcast guys doing work this morning, and holy poo poo their traffic protection sucks.

"Let's shove traffic into the oncoming lane right before a blind crest on a 55mph road, no sign man lol that's what the cones are for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrnoIJhrMk

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
MGS reported having some problems with these, but I've been running mine for 6 months. Video is crap quality compared to a camera 3x the price, you can grab a plate number from 15 feet away but not much further.

$36.99 + free shipping + free 32gb card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CSOD7VO/

Only hangups I've had is where they haven't kicked on at startup below 10°F

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

PuTTY riot posted:

e: y'all are all using fuse taps, right? Looks like this guy has the cigarette lighter permanently attached. Can I just hack that off and get one of those 12v-->5v converters

The cigarette lighter plug will likely have a 12v->5v circuit board in it already, you can use those guts and wire to the fuse tap. Crack the plug case open with an x-acto knife, find the wires heading from the circuit board to the contacts on the male end of the plug, then solder some new wires onto those to extend them. Solder the + wire to the fuse tap and the negative to a ring terminal to ground to a screw or bolt on the chassis. Shrink wrap or tape the bare solder points, snap the plug case back together to hold the circuit board, and wrap with electrical tape to keep it shut. Bing bang boom.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I hate it when coins rattle around in a cupholder. It's a distraction to driving. Put your coins in your pocket or something.

OR

Useful for paying tolls and whatnot.

...just make sure it doesn't rattle.

Useful for paying like, one toll. Northern Illinois, you'll need the bills drawer from a cash register if you wanna drive around without an EZ pass.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
80kph limit in that area seems crazy high, too. I know it's a UK thing to have vegetation right up to the edge of pavement, but it really cuts down on your sight distance around curves like that and the overall clausterphobia would make me crawl. That road would be 30mph/50kph around my neck of the planet.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

quote:

dashcams w/wifi upload

The tech was definitely out there even 8 years ago, but the only cams I know that do it were designed for fleet applications and likely cost $500/unit. However, chump change compared to defending/paying out on a lawsuit as a commercial operator.

The cam would record events triggered either by a G-sensor or a big red button on the side, and the saved clips would automatically upload and wipe from the cam when it connected to wifi in the garage. Might be overkill for the home user, but worked well for a company with 120 vehicles spread over 5 bases and one safety officer to review the event clips. Would have been impossible for the safety officer to jump in and swap out SD cards every night, and half the point of the cam is that the driver doesn't have access to the recorded media.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
You may not realize how litigious our society is in the US. It's all about limiting the tools the opposing party can attack you with.

Let's say you're running a cam and proceed through a yellow light, but you T-bone somebody from the oncoming lane who had turned directly in front of you. You produce the dashcam video to prove that you had a yellow light and the other party was in the wrong.

The person you'd T-boned had 2 small children in the car unbelted, one sitting in the front seat. One of them died at the scene and the other is in the hospital racking up a 6-figure bill. Not likely but not impossible.

The family of the person you'd T-boned decides to sue you for all you're worth, claiming reckless driving, regardless that their driver was responsible. Their key piece of evidence? The dashcam video you'd submitted showing that you'd been going 4mph over the limit before braking to avoid the collision.. you'd goosed the throttle a bit to duck under the yellow light before it turned red. Again not likely, but not impossible.

Disabling the GPS readout is a small thing you can do to avoid this nightmare. Will it happen? Probably not. But you're ostensibly running a camera to protect yourself legally after being involved in an accident, you may as well go one step further if you're able.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
In a completely different set of circumstances* the red car is a dead car. Keep your eyes open and stay safe out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeb7FQwZRjU

*where the left lane is full and blocking right lane's view to the left, and right lane is empty with the red car approaching the intersection doing the speed limit

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Have GPS, "why'd you speed earlier? Your fault, you wouldn't have been there. Why were you slower than traffic? Your fault, you wouldn't have been there."

Have GPS but disabled, "why'd you disable your GPS?"

In no way does it help, and in every potential way does it hurt. Nobody needs GPS to determine where you were during the accident. IIRC an actual traffic lawyer, in this thread, explained the folly of dashcam GPS and how people grt screwed with it on.

The KD-Links unit I used to use had a clever way to get around disabling GPS without opening a legal can of worms. The camera ships with two mounts, one with GPS receiver that you physically connect from the camera, and another without the GPS guts. Strikes a good balance if you really want GPS for track days or something, then use a different mount (and different SD card, if you're going that far to cover your rear end) for the road.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr60eLzJ4TU

"Share the road" doesn't mean you get to take the oncoming lane, blind, whenever you feel like you gotta be in front of a bike. I saw the bike, then the car, and was more afraid he'd sideswipe the bike jumping back in his lane than hit me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This is my dad. :ohdear: Really glad he doesn't ride anymore.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I wonder if something set up for a motorcycle would be more up your alley - was curious myself, and this is what popped up on my 1st search

http://a.co/d/b27bMkw

Not sure how long the cables would be, but you might pop one camera on the dashboard and another on the back bumper since you won't have any rear glass for a suction mount.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Do you need two cameras spitting to the same video file simultaneusly? If not, and you don't need high quality, you can probably go with two cheaper units.

I picked up a pair of cheap cameras (look up AUUBC dash cams, there's some for $36/ea) and I've been running them front and back the last 2 years.

Video quality looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1Zcx-IQBU

I did have a different camera before, had a better lense and shot clearer video, but these have lasted longer and were half the price.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Like any other stupid decision made by the police that results in property damage and/or injury to bystanders they'll blame it on the suspect.

Crosspost from the OSHA thread:

Malek posted:

Here's the police statement

Lieutenant David Hall of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office posted:
“Usually, when spike mats are deployed, it is rapidly unfolding. We try to make it as safe as possible. If the suspect just drives over the strips, it is not a problem; if he tries to go around it or take other action, it becomes a problem. The spike strips [do not] cause someone to lose control of their vehicle; they deflate the tires very gradually so they can keep control over the vehicle. Him crashing was not caused by the spike strips, but was caused by him overcorrecting.”

Source : http://www.thedrive.com/news/25519/watch-a-high-speed-pursuit-end-with-a-crash-into-innocent-bystanders

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

davebo posted:

At 43 seconds is that some manufacturer camouflage on that car? Or just some weird wrap?

And the moment it showed up, the camera digitized/scrambled a bit. :tinfoil:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you can't drive in snow, stay the gently caress home.
If you can drive in snow, slow the gently caress down.
Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TrQzm4nEk

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Shaman Linavi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmbQt4pWyM

Not shown: dude hitting 70+ and disappearing off into the distance.

I bet both drivers learned an important lesson after putting some poo poo in their pants. Just kidding, they both thought "christ, what an rear end in a top hat" and will do zero introspection, ever.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smIkA0Y60zE

I've gone through this frame by frame, and still have to assume the yellow truck didn't render until I'd gotten to the corner.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

In case I missed anything when searching around, is there anything out there commercially that will automatically connect to my home WiFi and offload flagged recordings to my NAS without requiring my cell phone or a cloud service to be involved?

The fleet of tour buses I drove 2010-2013 had this exact system; I know something exists but you might have to look commercial-grade.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd already had my hairy eyeball on this guy in front of me... and at :18 he runs the red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkkerTkAGw&t=11s

I always give someone driving a beat-to-poo poo beater a wide berth; they've got nothing to lose.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

STR posted:

I have a dashcam video I want to post, but it has (a) a coworker's car visible (and he asked that if I upload the video, to block out the license plate) and (b) another coworker's face visible (road rage passenger screaming at him and pounding his window :stare:).

Anyone have suggestions on easy ways to blur out a face and license plate? Let's pretend I have no experience with video editing except for trimming clips and joining clips...

Absolute quickest & dirtiest is uploading the clip to play on a big screen, then recording it with another camera while floating a piece of cardboard attached to a chopstick over whatever private data you want to obscure.

It'll have the "filmed off the CCTV video monitor in the back room of a Burger King" type of vibe and everybody is gonna make fun of you for how awful it is, but honestly at that point nobody is gonna be able to make out a plate number or face regardless if you try to cover them up or not

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

No points for that driver's poor timing but suicide lanes are definitely allowed for turning left into, at least in AZ - but you have to stop as soon as you get into it and wait until you can merge.

If I'm driving toward you and you're turning left to join my lane, how in the hell am I supposed to understand that you're turning into the center lane, and not directly into mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZGS826yhg

Also, that's not a harmonica toot, but the stock horn on a '09 VW

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Laws regarding using the center turn lane for merging varies from state to state.

Big part of why I was so confused/alarmed when I saw people doing it here in Illinois, I'd never seen it before and had to assume they were gonna sideswipe right into me.

I get it, you're never gonna find an appropriate gap in both the eastbound & westbound lanes at the same time, so you've gotta barge into the center when eastbound clears and wait for a gap westbound. This is a perfect situation for roundabouts though, even if every intersection doesn't have them. Right-turns only at all 2-way intersections, then cruise to the next roundabout and do your U-turn to get going the direction you need.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

The thing about having to code the car specifically for a battery though, that's the part I'd like to hear someone actually justify.

Supposedly it's an emissions thing.

The car has to know how old the battery is, so it can figure out how many amps to throw at it to keep it charged. More amps thrown means more torque used turning the alternator. More torque means more gas used, etc, so a company trying to reduce emissions as much as possible is going to try getting away with charging it the least it can.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I don't think this is the AI consensus, but a lot of people around here like to poo poo on roundabouts because they think they cause accidents. Compared to a 2-way or 4-way stop, yeah a bad driver is going to mess it up. However, the accidents that happen in a roundabout, whether caused by the thing or not, are FAR less severe than a similar accident at a 2-way or 4-way stop.

CornHolio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eOHlz0VKeI

I hate having to assume nobody around here knows how to use a roundabout, but it's saved me from several accidents.

Even if the grey Forester (or whatever that was) kept going and hit you, they're going almost the same direction as you and the impact would be far less severe. It would be a sideswipe instead of a T-bone. Since head-on accidents are all but impossible, the worst accident you'll have is rear-ending someone. Even then, it'll be far less severe since you have to slow down to use the thing in the first place. Compare that with a 2-way and 4-way intersection, you can blast straight through at full speed if you want. Signals and signs can't stop you, but islands and obstructions very much will.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
And if the wire is too thin to wedge into the crevice & stay, wrap some electrical tape around it in a few key spots til it's thick enough.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This happened a little bit ago, nevermind the time stamp on the video.

Blue Subaru to the right of a semi, sideswiped in a merge lane that disappears 500 feet from a red light they'd both just taken off from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fRp1AgkLMY

Action is at :47, aftermath is at 1:33

I feel like the Subaru was trying to get hit on purpose - he was on his brakes over and over, but apparently not enough to avoid getting chewed on by some wheel lugs. Driver of the semi might not have even seen him. I circled back around with a printout of this video's URL, semi driver said he's got a cam running as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
JESUS. :stonk:

Holy poo poo. Glad you're still with us.