Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Behold Mothman.

But if you really want to see ugly basses you can just GIS 'custom bass' because bass players are the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Actually I think out of those three, tortoise would be best... not that it would look good relative to most other good looking guitars.

Actually I think the biggest problem is the maple fretboard. Put a rosewood fretboard on there and I think a white pickguard would be best:

Actually that's mint green (trap sprung I guess?).

But seriously 3ply black on black with maple is a great colour combination on Fender guitars and basses and is basically the only option that makes Music Man basses look tolerable. Pity it doesn't make them sound any better.

It's gotta be three ply black/white/black though. Without the white pinstripe it just looks weird.

Also, speaking of Music Man basses...

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed on the cream/gold sentiment. I replaced the cream pickup rings/pickguard/knobs on my goldtop with black ones and it looks much better.

Black Strats with white pickguards always looked boring as hell to me - it's the most generic color combo on what a lot of people consider the most generic guitar. Ironically my Strat is black despite holding that opinion, but it has a maple neck and a 3 play black pickguard like this guy's basses:

Don't know what the deal with that combo is but it left an impression on me and I knew I was going to buy it the moment I saw it on the sales floor.

They're not mine, though I do have a jazz bass very much like the one in the picture, only with black inlays.

The Ovations made me think of Maton's old electrics.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Thread Challenge 3: Least relevant materials for the job at hand.

Jeri Ellsworth's C64 Bass. Actually uses C64 electronics to process the output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDhpFaf4EY

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

A Good Username posted:

I see you and raise

Ahhh, the good old Swop Shop. The fact that I immediately recognised the carpet in this photo tells me I spend way too much time (and money) looking at second hand gear.

Some other gems from their current stock:

Signed by Paul Stanley!

Ugh, okay Ibanez you can go back to making pointy guitars again...

No idea what this is supposed to be.

:stare:

:argh: Bassists!

Actually I kind of like this one...

Fat guitar.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I don't really give a poo poo one way or the other about the whole relicing thing but whatever they do to the Fender Roadworn necks makes them really nice and comfy to play.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

You guys are all dumb. A nice relic job can really improve a guitar's look. But it's gotta be subtle.

http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=bassen&BassenID=18

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

why is it goons hate the actually cool and creative guitars but love tacky poo poo like fake aging?

oh sorry *sucks a big dick* relicing

I think at least one of us can't tell if the other is being ironic...

I actually like the busted up bass, particularly as it looks like it might actually be playable (there is some terrible poo poo at that same website though).

OTOH I could not give two shits if people wanna fake age their guitar. It's fun to make fun of the real bad ones but I would unironically love to have a Fender Road Worn Precision. Those basses fucken own.

Declan MacManus posted:

people get so fuckin mad at relicing and it owns because you'd think people were carving swastikas on their poo poo

Also, this.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

bitchtard posted:

Please do not disparage Lemmy.

:allears:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Paulownia maybe?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

I guarantee you the Squier CV series is high enough quality to bear the Fender logo, but it won't because they'd have to jack the price up to avoid losing "prestige" despite the fact that MIM Fenders are only marginally better. Can't have bargain priced Fenders that are made in China/Indonesia running around, after all.

I'm pretty sure that either the Pawn Shop or Modern Player series are made in the same factory as the CV line and are accordingly marked up based on the headstock logo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

While trying to decide if I really wanted to order one of those green sparkle chickenbackers I happened across this:

Now I just don't know at all...

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

This just turned up at the local consignment store.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

This hurts me more than it hurts you:

lol

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

The best thing about this one are the angry commenters who would have preferred they interview his guitar tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5UuMJrxcg

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Pitchfork posted:

Patient Sounds, the label issuing No Stairway on cassette,

This is the stupidest music poo poo. Releasing your music on cassette in TYOOL 2015. I see this on Bandcamp waaaaay too often.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

It's serious hipster bullshit.

Vinyl should be nostalgic enough for anyone, with the added benefit of having decent sound quality and new equipment to play it on.

Cassette was a lovely format when it came out. Now it's just loving pointless.

Ha ha, I am way too worked up about this...

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Tapes are okay. Cassettes are poo poo.

I grew up right around the cusp between Vinyl and CDs. As a result I ended up with a massive cassette collection; like two shopping bags full. When I got rid of my last car without a CD player I tossed them in the garbage and never looked back.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

for real though, that accordion player looks like he's often on the giving end of a glory hole.

LOL. That's Ian "Molly" Meldrum so it's not out of the question.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Youtube keeps recommending videos by this dipshit and I don't know how to make it stop.

LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmFlzksMCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTakSbI-Yk

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Ha ha, what the gently caress is even happening in that video??

With regards to that guys Line 6 "review"; He's doing it because the most attention he's got so far is a similarly scathing (and accurate tbf) review of the Mesa Cab Clone. So now I guess he want's to do a whole series of videos making GBS threads on gear. If dumping on Line 6 modelling amps is the best he can come up with though then he's obviously grasping at straws.

I mean he's not wrong about a lot of things, particularly regarding the retarded behaviour of some musicians. However he takes the Heavy Metal Comic Book Guy persona way too far

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

comes along bort posted:

they made a new video saying it wasn't so bad

That video is possibly the most awkward thing those two have ever done. And just to be clear how awkward that is, I am talking about these guys:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

Extended range bass face.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I kind of like the idea. I personally use:

1. Standard E
2. Standard Eb
3. Drop D
4. Standard C
5. Drop A

and it would be cool to be able to kind of effortlessly swap between those tunings whenever.

Sure, as long as you don't care about intonation, consistent action or string tension.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

The facial expressions around 7.00 to 7.30 are peak jazz

That is not a giant bass, that is a small keyless piano.

A really lovely one.

This is a really great source of bass face videos by the way.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

shiksa posted:

why are guitar weights so hard to source, seems like something that should be accounted for when buying something.

Because they're made of wood and no two pieces of wood are the same. The density (and weight) can vary by a surprising amount. Even between two pieces from the same source.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

When I say a surprising amount I mean it. Two random strats from that one product line might vary by a couple of pounds.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly, nothing is as gloriously stupid looking as a keytar, with the exception of surfboard guitar.

What about this?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

As long as you don't do this, you're fine...

Alternatively... never not do this.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

That's because Kim Salmon (probably said old guy in tight leather pants) actually owns really hard.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

This is just truly amazing. As has been said, I can't help but just sit and watch in awe.

My favourite parts are where he has to actually pause his monologue for a moment because he is concentrating so hard on completely failing to play the guitar.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Without Steve Vai there would be no Korn...

I need a time machine and a gun.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

It sounded like mud because of resistance leakage and the poor guy was happier than a pig in poo poo.

TONE

"warmth"

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

That's because for distorted guitar sounds, solid state has always been terrible compared to good tube amps. If solid state tech sounded as good as tubes, guitar players would have thrown tubes out years ago along with everybody else.

Tech 21 seem to get some nice distorted sounds out of solid state circuits.

Like was said before, the key difference is that they aren't just the same types of circuit with the tubes replaced by transistors. They need to be used differently.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Relevant to both solid state amps and aluminium guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmn647WzLlY

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

The sort of stupid music poo poo that pisses off tone snobs is the best stupid music poo poo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

fyodor posted:

So 1 to 10 how stupid music poo poo is it if I have zero electrical engineering experience and I want to build a Klon Centaur clone kit/diy project like this one: https://aionelectronics.com/project/refractor-centaur-overdrive/

??

That is,

I know V=IR :D

Already answered but I think this is worth posting anyway.

If you want a Klon, get a Soul Food (or J Rockett Archer, etc).
If you want a cheap pedal, you'll rarely be able to build one for much cheaper than you could buy a mass produced clone.
If you want to build a kit, get one that includes everything you need, including a drilled enclosure. At least for your first project.

But assuming you don't overreach it's pretty simple once you get the basics of soldering down.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

fyodor posted:

I'm more interested in taking my time and learning along the way. I realize that an investment in learning may mean I spend more than just buying a pedal and that's ok because it's not the point. I'm not dying to have a Klone but it's a pretty cool thing to have and have built on one's own. And yeah, I'm looking at kits. That said, the projects I've been looking at come with drilling templates, so it doesn't look hard as far as that goes. I live near a really great electronics supply store so running down the parts shouldn't be hard (plus online resources, of course). The PCB route looks crowded so perhaps a more rudimentary means.

I only suggested pre-drilled enclosures since unless you already have the tools it's a fairly big and unnecessary expense to buy them.

Another thing to watch out for if you're getting a bare PCB is to make sure beforehand that you can actually source all the parts you're going to need. A lot of older pedals used weird components or pots with non-standard values that aren't going to be available at you're local electronics store.

Snowy posted:

Are there any other especially good all-in-one diy pedal kit dealers?

I have a simple od kit to practice on now, but I have a lot of soldering experience so I'm feeling good about it and already looking to the next one. The more hosed up noisy doomy dark the better.

A few from my bookmarks. I can't vouch for their quality etc.

http://buildyourownclone.com/
https://www.mammothelectronics.com/collections/effects-pedal-kits
https://www.modkitsdiy.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Shugojin posted:

why the gently caress would you do tapes in tyool 2017

is there some sort of idiotic irony using tapes right now

Yes. This has been going on for a few years now.

Pokey, you should record nothing to the tapes and see if anyone even notices.

• Locked thread