Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I bought a stupid music poo poo a few months ago and I love it. It's a Roli Seaboard, like this but smaller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-hzbG5FzI

It's like a bunch of fake tits in a row that make music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

I can't think of a counter-example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I do appreciate that all of the little thingies work and spin, but other than that why would you ever want any of those?

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND JESUS DAD YOU'RE SO UNCOOL

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

when did steampunk become shorthand for dressing like les claypool fell into a hardware store bin

Literally day one, wtf else did it ever mean?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
these loss edits are getting super abstract now

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would say sax 100%. I mean harmonica usually sucks too but the thing about harmonica is that it rarely appears in songs that would have been good anyway. Sax pops up in songs where you're like "OH GOD DAMMIT IT WAS FINE UNTIL YOU GOT HERE", whereas with harmonica you're usually just like "oh and of course there was going to be a harmonica in this piece of crap".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

kinda neat, isn't that basically how a sitar works? i mean, they have a neck but the strings don't touch them, so finger pressure can do some weird bendy stuff

Gonna go up to the next hippy sitar player I see and say "You know what else has strings like that? That's right, GITTLER".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

ashbory basses own

They are a ton of fun to gently caress around on, but I'd never want to be seen doing it in public. They're the your girlfriend of guitars.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There are also fretless uke basses now, basically an a/e ashbory.

Fun fact: Ashbories are colloquially known as "snotstring basses".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yep! Feel weird to play, but they actually do a passable impression of an upright bass if you EQ them right.

See 3:40 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jwm4ogli1k

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 18, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, but IIRC that's tuned EADG just like a bass. The only "uke" bit really is the size.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

:catstare:

So... while this is overall the shittiest of lovely wank, there are actually a few moments of truly amazing musicianship (i.e. unironically brilliant music-making) in it.

That is great musicianship on the same level that being a fast typist is being a great writer.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

Did you listen to the whole thing? Hard, I know. But these sections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=106s

...are both pretty cool riffs that with a bit of tweaking could be parts of a genuinely good song. Which was my point.

I listened to the whole thing. Those might be the best bits, but they aren't anything extraordinary. If they have anything to recommend them, it's that they are the least wanky bits of the entire song (if you can call an obstacle course for the fingers a "song"), and as such are the bits that are the most recognizable as some sort of music. Taken in isolation, they aren't particularly distinguishable from any random metal riff. But in context I can see how you might see them as exceptional based solely on the relief you feel due to the other bits of the song having stopped.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I wasn't already up to my rear end in drum samples (BFD, all the NI stuff, and some others), I'd be interested in RealiDrums. Seems like the path of least possible resistance for getting good drum tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rToF-fZZes

Plus the Realitone dude's voice just immediately makes me happy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

strangemusic posted:

That is cool as heck but all those guitars look like shop class cheese boards.

Apt, given that they will largely be used for shredding cheese.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Guys. Guys help.

I've never in my life actually wanted a guitar with a floyd rose trem but I think watching that Making of the JEM Woody video has just made me decide it might be goofy fun to some day get that ridiculous over the top wank-rear end Ibanez Jem Woody with the retarded floyd and vine inlay and monkey grip.

What's happening to me. I'm not even a dad.

That you know of. Maybe this is how you learn that you have a secret lovechild.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

i think the only thing i'd enjoy listening to less than this would be my only child's dying words

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

Fb is a fake idea

ooooh maybe that was actually meant to be read as "play a D flat minor add 9 over Facebook"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

The true stupid music poo poo there is the Korn x Monster Energy sweat bands.

Well it's made with high fructose Korn syrup.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I prefer XXEADG where the Xs are the strings I took off.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you do good work, thanks

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I spent like a decade in bands trying to nail down the sound I really wanted and then I tried strat + tubescreamer and strat + rat and it's like "oh yeah that's why everyone has these".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Adam Neely is a bassist and not a bozo but I would go pretty drat far out of my way to hang out with him.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Stop playing so god damned fast what's the rush?

Fun fact: a lot of the style of modern rock guitar solos is actually a side effect of the way musicians' contracts were negotiated in the 80s and 90s. In an effort to create a more "equitable" distribution of royalties for mechanical song rights that rewarded musicians for their actual contribution instead of just for showing up, several record labels adopted a strategy of paying instrumentalists by the note. This resulted in a situation where guitarists and keyboard players were paid far more per song than bass players, a phenomenon which guitarists began to exploit heavily by adopting a solo style that involved picking as fast as humanly possible. Because rights were proportional, a good shredding guitar solo could basically drive a bass player's share in the mechanical rights down to almost zero, which bass players typically didn't fight back against because they're bass players and therefore constantly high and bad with money. Early speed metal was actually intended to be a humorous ironic commentary on the labor issues created by these absurd contracts, but it quickly morphed into its own thing when oblivious fans began treating it seriously as music. Record labels eventually took the hint and stopped allocating royalties based on number of notes, but by that time the shredding guitar solo had become entrenched and fans had actually grown to like it. The damage was done, and guitar solos have never been the same since. The really stupid thing about the whole affair is that a cursory knowledge of music history would have told the labels that this was a bad idea; the exact same thing had already happened in bluegrass many decades earlier.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thing is, my family was super supportive of my playing early on, still is. My girlfriend always mentions how nice me playing for her would be. I don't. Because I'm an anxious confidence pit. I'm starting a YouTube channel within the next month though to practice getting over that. It's a pretty huge block for someone who wants to share art and music and I know it's worth pushing through.

e/ning the stupid music poo poo thread, hell yeah

A really good way to get over stage fright is to get used to masturbating in front of people first, then work your way up to playing an instrument and finally singing. How supportive is your family?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

(drummer decided to start a jazz band, that rear end in a top hat)

That rear end in a top hat is a great name for a jazz band, though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's like she's playing some sort of vr game where she's a whale shark filter feeding. But I guess when you're Haim you gotta do whatever you can to distract the audience so they don't pay attention to the music l

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I listened to Haim once because I kept seeing them mentioned and thought hey I'm always down to hear all female groups. I hosed up it was bad.

Yeah they've got this crazy level of buzz in some circles and it's just constantly baffling to me. They're just so staggeringly boring.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

but it's a girl group! you have to like them

Semi-related: over the last ten years, my regular rotation has become more and more female-heavy, to the extent that my current regular rotation has maybe one male-fronted band in it. Not through any intentional engineering on my part; it just seems like more and more female-fronted bands are doing weird experimental stuff that I'm drawn to. I mean there's always been female acts doing cool weirdness, but it just seems like there are SO MANY right now and the dudes are just not doing much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Brownstein and Armisen are both great based on some tv appearances and Portlandia. I don't like Sleater Kinney though, they're boring. Other than that I don't have any reason to dislike her. What makes her so lovely?

She organized and financed the WTC attacks, unless I have her confused with someone else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah same

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's called the string "butler" because it's completely unnecessary and if you have one I hate you.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Well, drowning your output in effects certainly helps cover up the fact that your guitar is made from cardboard.

Anywho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i7FzxFfsEU

what the gently caress

why

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean I thought for a second that that was a joke but I googled them and they actually exist. On the one hand they look retarded, but on the other hand they sound like a bag of assholes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay but that longhorn piano is loving awesome.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

I like that if you play it sitting down your leg mashes into the knobs and toggle switch

I think most guys are used to that anyway though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had never realized until now that "the Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to gently caress with" was actually about their lives as incels. Those poor fellows, you'd think they'd be pulling rear end like crazy. Maybe they're just too shy?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, this is some extremely stupid music poo poo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rsl/mpiano-open-up-a-new-dimension-of-music

Jordan Rudess-backed Kickstarter for a controller that is essentially a Seaboard minus some features, and uglier, at three times the price. Only $9456!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

drat Metallica are now old enough that it's not funny when one of them falls over :/

actually it just keeps getting funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

How else am I supposed to spin it around like ZZ Top?

I spin mine using an articulated buttplug, but that's more of a ZZ Bottom thing.

• Locked thread