Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Flying Vs seem a bit awkward to play, I guess it's fine if you're standing but sitting would be a nightmare, do people think they look cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

lookit dat headstock

Hope you don't like clip-on tuners!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This isn't one of those custom shop guitars designed to look like it's been worn, is it?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

No no no, if you put weight on the bottom it sucks away all your tone.

Tone is all about feng shui

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Have you got a company name, like White Dog Eggs, for example?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That's some ego

sout
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

That would be absurd and perverse; a sacrilege against the higher power, who gave me the ability to create these guitars. Selling any moron a Zachary guitar would be gross disrespect towards God.

sout posted:

That's some ego

Some day someone will make a hybrid car/guitar/gaming PC and world's most elitist person will be found

sout
Apr 24, 2014

His business model is weird, he's the Cartmanland of guitar salesmen, he won't let just anyone in.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I like when guitars try to have as little pickguard as possible, like "gently caress yeah, I don't even need to guard my guitar from these picks, my aim is insane."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

My dream guitar has strings on it, but i guess that's a bit gimmicky

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Couldn't really say much myself about guitar parts and stuff since I'm not too experienced, I've got a Mexican Tele that seems to make sounds when I touch the strings and that seems about right. Might have to try and see about reducing the buzzing noise I get when I turn up the gain.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've heard you're not supposed to remove all the strings at once for some reason, which you would obviously need to do when modding a guitar. How much truth is there to that statement? Presumably they must go some time during production without strings.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

lmao at the vai hate

Well, it's good we're all laughing now I guess

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

My preciousssss

Hey reddit, anyone remember this old gem?
EDIT: JEM

sout
Apr 24, 2014

iostream.h posted:

WDE, I know I said no rush on the GBScaster, but if we could make say, the last week in Dec a wish, that'd be awesome. ;)

What body shape is the GBScaster? Because I've been wanting to call it a Les Paul Goonior for ages now.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

should I have bought it ?? :ohdear:

It's even streamlined! Pickup switches are for indecisive people, and that's just not metal.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

You're shredding me apart, Lisa!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hahaha what the gently caress. I really need to get one of those.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

My brother's a lefty but has always played right handed for whatever reason and he seems to have no trouble with it (though I suppose if you start one way it's very hard to change, I don't think I could ever play lefty.)
That being said he doesn't think his left hand is particularly dominant, I imagine it's gotta suck when some companies don't release certain models for left-handers.
Just at a local music store you're already very limited in what you can get.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Huh, these kits are drat cheap actually, I know you get silly pimped out guitars with lasers and handles or whatever but guitars are really relatively cheap instruments from what I heard, a friend of mine plays Bassoon and that has an entry level price of like at least £1000.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That's a sad irony, if it is irony, that the people who care the most about music or play it the most cause themselves hearing damage.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

I have been fairly good about bringing earplugs to most shows I see nowadays----though I did cheat a bit and listen to one song from My Bloody Valentine with no plugs, just for the experience.

I wonder if it would be disheartening for a band to see everyone in the audience wearing earplugs. Well, I guess it'd be fine unless everyone covered their ears and sang "la la la I can't hear you."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HollisBrown posted:

John Cippolina from The Quicksilver Messenger Service had the best SG, or worst, I can't tell anymore.

Man, those inlays would probably confuse me. Now I want a neck which just has all the dots in the wrong places but arrows that point to where they should be.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

You rolled a three, go down 10 frets!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I saw this thing the other day:

I sort of like the triangular hole, but hate literally everything else

What kind of music would you play on this?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The bee gets hurt: the bass snaps in half. That's so metal.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

That is easy to do so I see no reason to not do it.

Also, if anyone has anything they want on the GOONtar, let me know, this is what I've written on the walls of my workshop so I don't forget (tried to take a picture, but my camera-phone won't focus)

1) Surfboard
2) Seafoam Green
3) Monkey grip
4) Dickhole (I think the dick shaped grip ticks both those boxes)
5) Ron Paul
6) Bitcoin
7) Metal Bits
8) Lots of pickups
9) [indecipherable] pick-guard headstock

There was more but I covered it with spraypaint.

We joked about putting inlay dots in the wrong place at some point. Also, the GBSCaster is a beauty.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Stroker Ace posted:

I have a crazy good memory but until this thread I completely blacked out that I impulsively owned one of these for a few months when I was a teen:

I understand where the designer's coming from, it's tricky to draw a perfect circle without compasses.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I want to become a millionaire, buy the original Les Paul/Telecaster/Whatever prototype and record a video of me playing Wonderwall really poorly on it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

That wardrobe is stacked with wood, half finished guitars and various power tools, the clothes that were in there are hanging on a string I put up in the main bedroom.

When the Mrs gets back from work, I will be stabbed.
you're up to your neck with necks

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Someone just sent this to me with the caption "Namm 2015". You now know as much as I do.

Someone made the point that a lot of the function of the guitar's body is to distribute the weight so it isn't neck-heavy. How heavy is that freaking headstocK?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How much stuff made using that ridiculous range on a bass sounds good?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

My PG-fan buddies and I watched Intense Rock a million times back in the day. There's one lick (out of many) that we love during the opening credits. It coincides with "Edited By Don Mock" coming up on the bottom of the screen, so we call it "The Don Mock Lick."

I love PG, from old Racer X to some of his crazier new stuff like "Will My Screen Door Save Me From Poseidon" and "Hurry Up."
I got interested in Paul when I saw the video for Addicted To That Rush and saw a guitarist tapping in unison with Billy Sheehan and knew I was in. That lead to Racer X (which I hated due to the singer but still fell in love with it because it was so goofy and yet terrifying). Problem for me is, the first Mr. Big album is the only one I really like. How Can You Do What You Do is one of my favorite straight rock tunes ever, but there are so many fun songs on that album, and the outro solo to Rock And Roll Over is just tear-your-face-off awesome.

My favorite quotation from that era is when they played it "In The Listening Room" for EVH and he said (paraphrasing): "It's so fast as to be incomprehensible." Then he went on to poo poo on bass players and guitar players playing in unison. Go figure.

"Don Mock" lick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjUHaGUBPI&t=78s

I guess the only thing that bothers me about Paul is that he is so flawless and articulate that he comes off as mechanical and not always so musical, but he's been working on that, successfully I think, ever since he realized that the kids who were studying his videos all sounded terrible.

But yeah, of course I love Paul and I like the PGM model Ibanez a lot. Love those F Holes. I put them in Forza Horizon 4:

these are speed holes they make the car go faster
EDIT: tone

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Can someone briefly explain what a tone dial actually does, besides changing the tone ofc. Like does it affect the magnets in some way, and how come some guitars have more than one? The way my tele is wired I don't think the tone pot is directly wired to the pups, but maybe it's different in say, a strat?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

comes along bort posted:

it's a variable resistor with a capacitor that passes higher frequencies above a certain value dependent on the pot and cap values to ground. capacitors resist lower frequencies more than higher ones- so more treble passes through to ground instead of bass if the signal is going through the cap alone. resistors as the name implies resist all frequencies the same. what turning the knob does is adjust the ratio of resistance from higher and lower frequencies so when it's all the way down, the low frequency resistance is high while the high frequency resistance is low, meaning more treble goes to ground and you get less treble coming from your guitar, and when it's all the way up, the resistance amount is very close for both higher and lower frequencies so more treble gets through

Ah cheers, that makes sense.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This thread is a pretty good example of the uncanny valley.
Everything's just slightly too weird to be normal but not crazy enough to just be so stupid that it's funny.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

sporklift posted:

Here is how they get the signatures. Christ. Just stopping people on the street with a handful of pickguards?

Poor Wille. No wonder a lot of people are wary of signing poo poo or charge for it.

Wait, if they just found him on the street somewhere, are we to assume they just carry pickguards wherever they go just in case?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

IronLawnmower posted:

3 pegs and 4 strings. Can't explain that. Also the strings bending at a 45º angle.

You've never heard of Tone-Bending?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

The only thing that comes to mind when I see that is:

Gibson's "Authentic Hendrix" Stratocaster, which rightfully got cancelled shortly after it was announced.

Haha, does that actually have a picture of a Fender Strat on the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

I named her Ibanez.

Just kidding, I adopted her when she was 18 months old from my sister's daughters. They named her "Missy," so that's what I call her, too. They couldn't control her (they knew jack poo poo about dogs) so they were stunned when I taught her to sit on command in about five minutes. She's been with me ever since. She'll be 14 years old this October. She's got an amazing amount of energy for a lady who's basically 95+ years old.

She's a gem alright.
EDIT: JEM

• Locked thread