Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Declan MacManus posted:

If I buy one from you I want the ungodly glowing blue LED light of destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

as a firearms enthusiast i know how important it is to have a backup gun in an ankle rig in case you need to put down a swarm of rapists - whats your backup guitar plan and what kind of gear do you use and pack away because you might have some other dude in the band that you're traveling with and you take showers in gas station bathrooms and they have lousy habits like, they don't have a backup guitar or they steal your cables and you have to photograph your amp because you get so high that you forget where your settings are when it's showtime?

my backup guitar is an epi sg-pro. i've been told that it's a bad choice, but i almost never break strings live. the other night i wheeled it out because i was bored of my main ax, and was doing some windmills on this song and i caught the bridge across my knuckles and started bleeding profusely but that's just rock and roll ok

booyah that sweet AXL badwater sro is all mine - bought it for 50 bucks and i regret all of it. i would have rather have spent my money on a souless handjob from an indifferent fatty. i thought i could flip it at that price - nope.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

i dunno man on my jazz box where i play jazz chords i use pretty heavy strings and i'm not crippled (yet) but when can i expect the effects to start because i am close to getting social security checks ok

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

This is a guitar pick. Apparently.

i used a risha for a while (on guitar) when i was loving around with ouds. i actually like the feel of it but since a guitar pick is like 1000% better the only reason muslims don't use them is because they can't ever change anything, ever.

not my rishas, but just an fyi if you didn't know what a risha is ok

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

jesus christ univox made some ugly rear end amps (i have this rig, but with two of the 1205 cabs)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgCMNMVSmo

frank gambale

the thunder
from
down
under

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Chrpno posted:

no way is that video from 1999.

i think it's from 1989

is he wearing a clear acrylic plastic bag over his pants?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I sort of lucked into a trade that included a PRS SE Custom 24. I've never liked their looks. The same trade brought in a pair of Zakk Wylde EMG pups.

After a restring and setup, I still hate the way it looks. But damnit, this guitar plays and sounds killer. So I'm keeping it.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Haha, I loving hate the blues. I'm using this abortion to bend time and space.

Question, does one have to be a dad to be a blues dad?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Pondex posted:

It's not true bluesdad if you can't embarrass any offspring with your lovely pentatonic noodling. And enrage a spouse with the amount of money you spent, for no real gain in the quality of music produced.

man I'm fuckin relieved let me tell you how bluesy that makes me feel, I'm going to talk like a 70 year old alcoholic black man from Mississippi

do I look dapper in my bluesdad hat?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

1268 videos of this dude "playing" bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThcOh6bTZY8

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Pondex posted:

Jesus, why? Why keep going when almost none of them have more than 200 views? How do you get like that?
I can't fathom the psychology behind it, and it's freaking me out a little.

he's clearly nuts.

what's really going to gently caress with your head is that in a lot of the videos there's a person holding the camera. someone willingly put themselves through that.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Grolsch washers.

they work, or you can buy the ones with fender logos on it and not drink for about the same price

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Clitch posted:

I hope you see what's wrong here.

it's my thread and i'll be ironic if i want to be, son

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

darkwasthenight posted:

Slightly OT but gently caress it. A local promoter in my town has just put on a fantastic demonstration of loving your career in the rear end within 24 hours.

He was running a stage as part of a festival called Tramlines, which is basically a bunch of independent venues putting on a lineup over a weekend. It's usually really busy, you pay about £10 for a wristband that gets you into any of the main venues and all the fringe stuff is free anyway. Wu Tang and Martha Reeves are headlining this year and there's a ton of other good poo poo too.

Anyway, he took offence at having to pay a fee to use the branding and be included in official promo so threw a hissy fit. He declared that in order to stick it to the man not only would he no longer be a Tramlines venue but he would actively turn away punters wearing official wristbands, instantly writing off a good 75% of his potential audience. Some of the bands and techs involved had other gigs with Tramlines so immediately pulled out of the show in order to keep them, and I suspect his star turn are next.

Once he saw all the poo poo he was getting on Facebook he went into total meltdown and then doubled down, threatening anyone who criticised him via PM. To cap off the smoking crater that was his reputation he finally marched into the record store owned by two respected local DJs and threatened dire consequences if they didn't step off.

It's been a beautiful day in this neighbourhood let me tell you.

a local vineyard sort of did the same thing - they were sick of the drunks piling into a bus, going from vineyard tasting room to tasting room, basically getting wasted and not buying anything. but then they went out and hired musicians, started charging a cover to get into their drat tasting room and pissing off the tourists who didn't understand why they were forking over 5 bucks to drink a 15 dollar glass of wine and hear dad rock.

and as a result i have the puke of a nova scotian on my pedal board and it's time to kiss that thing good bye forever re: curb alert vintage plywood

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dunlop straplocks on the SG style strap layout, Shallers on everything else. This is law.

oh man missed this, some dumbass nearly tore his ballsack using a pointy loving straplock on his sg

that was me, age 13

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 2, 2015

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

shiksa posted:

im getting a panic attack thinking about that guy and a guitarist with an even bigger pedalboard turning up their amps to drown each other out until the entire room is a quivering feedbacky mess.

i'm more like, what size shoes does this dude have that he can maneuver in and actually hit the smaller stompboxes without knocking poo poo everywhere? also, doesn't anyone drink when they play live anymore? man, i'd be tripping all over that thing.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

dick dale is a cool guy and I've seen him perform twice but I never noticed any tort.

dude needs to step up his tort game.

dick dale is not cool, he has like a mild form of autism. he's probably the gooniest of guitar players.

so i see his guitar tech stringing his guitar backstage. i'd never seen dick's guitar up close before. i ask about the stickers, dick was in the next room and barged in with a plate of food from the buffet. he starts telling me about some kung fu or judo poo poo, that the only person who had the same sticker was elvis loving presley. he warns me not to touch his guitar. like 5 times. i'm not within arms reach of it.

so i'm just sitting there staring off into space for a bit and dick comes back into the room. he sits down and says "i'm sorry about earlier. i'm a vegetarian and i'm getting fat from cheese" he then asks if the crowd out there did any stupid poo poo like slam danced because he would stop his show if he saw any bullying going on. i'm like, dunno. the flat duo jets were on stage and i didn't notice any shenanigans. he then tells the bass player from my band that he had a stupid haircut and left the room again, only to return about 30 seconds later to inquire about what color cigarettes we smoked, and didn't wait for an answer.

lol look at this poo poo

http://www.dickdale.com/

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

ZombieParts posted:

That guy on the left totally doesn't know this song and he's watching the bass player to follow along

bob weir was kicked out of the dead early in their career because he sucked. he had to take lessons and then they let him back in. i only know this because i was laid up with surgery and had pretty much exhausted everything on netflix involving nazis

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I just played a Teye La Pirata. Looks like someone went crazy on a Gibson Nighthawk, but with just one pickup. The owner is asking 2500. It plays nice. Sounds great. Not a fan of dragons, the tuners, the "mood" knob or the whole "Day of the Dead" Mexican motif going on.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

crashdome posted:

Is it my eyes or is that body really tiny? The headstock and the body shape look like it was a les paul jr that shrunk in the wash.

It has a narrow body at the bout, but it's exaggerated by the inlay. It reminded me of the Gibson Nighthawk in terms of shape. Only, way loving more expensive with only that one bucker.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Megadeth/Dystopia/536834

Considering Mustaine's past endorsement of Rick Santorum and general conservatism, those lyrics could just as well have read OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA MOSLEM DICTATOR without losing anything of value.

I've never liked Megadeth or Mustaine.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dirt posted:

1982 Guild X-79

It's 1500 bucks from Elderly Instrument's in Lansing, MI aka the best guitar store in America.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy it.

it looks refreshing, like a frozen treat

• Locked thread