Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I remember seeing some youtube video of it a while ago. He and his friend had set up in and around an abandoned church. They primarily used barbed wire to defend, several layers and had looted guns to pick off anything that spawned within the area or managed to get through. They eventually built a wooden wall around it with rebar on the inside of the supports that were everywhere. Building strong supports seems to be key in above ground structures or inside of existing ones. (At some point they mentioned one of them falling through the church roof just from standing on the wrong place and having it collapse on him from his own weight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm really too busy panicking and fleeing blindly in the dark while firing my last few rounds of all my empty guns to notice the state of a corpse's bust.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Dear Diary

I've got so much useless paper, I've got nothing else to do while I cower in the attic of a small home that is now teeming with furious undead and half the walls are ripped out. Noisy but apparently crying in a dark corner works.

Some random barbed wire is all that's left of the 'defenses' and whoever was with me earlier is now gone. There's a zombie standing in the broken wall of the attic doing nothing, like he's reliving Titanic.

Might as well eat some cat food.

(Sorry for the doublepost, but holy poo poo surviving is harrrrd)

So quick tips for anyone just trying it out!

-Stamina means more than how long you sprint. You can punch a zombie in the face all day but if you don't have any stamina it's not going down. More stamina is more damage.

-Where you hit in melee counts too! Strike the head for optimal results. This sounds like a no-brainer, but most games don't care to make the distinction where you hit.

-Zombies will hone in on you like hornets at night. Or, more precisely, they'll hone in to your general location. This means that you can actually hide from them till morning when they slow down. As long as you're not blasting off guns, you should be able to find an elevated area in a building to hide in, assuming they don't see or hear you.

-Sleeping bags are spawn points. Get 6 cloth from about anything. (Smash some couches or tents you find) and you have a portable spawn point. Even if it means dying on top of it, at least you won't have to go all the way from the irradiated starting area.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 26, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Archonex posted:

Fairly well from what i've seen so far. Though I don't know your specs.

Also, apparently my server is somewhat popular. Only been up for 12 hours and it's half-way to full already. :stare:

I've seen some pubs and a guy already killing people. Although it's just for assholery's sake as there's literally no shortage at all of basic food, water, or weapons, and probably won't be till the server's been around for a while.

I might hop on in a while, steal what I can from the big town's "safehouse", and see if we can't find a good place to build our own safe area that doesn't have zombie spawns on the inside of the walls. I suppose the mumble is the only way we have of finding other goons at the moment?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Winding down, I felt I got my entertainment's worth, even if my laptop tried to rebel every step of the way.

Everybody had fun, trying to lead people on scavenging hunts only for everyone to scatter once we actually reached town was a bit humorous. Especially when night fell and my attempts to get them out of there was drowned out by "OH GOD HELP ME" and "HOW DO I HEAL" and general panic.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

So are we going through with a server reset? If so, I do have a few ideas on Goonbase. Perhaps it'd be better with a PGS thread to talk about it though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

We DO have a secret hideout on the map, I won't divulge the location here, and any of the old bases are essentially honeypots. I'll get on mumble in a few and if the server is up yet I'll guide folks to it.

Also YellerBill, I was the one that suggested we make you follow us at gunpoint. We all thought you were a pubby and we briefly considered murdering you, but decided that you didn't have anything and weren't worth the shotgun shell. :v:

And yeah zombies will dig through the ground to get at you, they are absolutely relentless, though they can only get so far before day breaks and everyone moves outside to finish them off. Trick is to line your base with hard materials like wood covered rebar and concrete, and line the outsides with several layers of two block deep pit spikes and barbed wire fences. Lot of work, but even then you'll still take potshots.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 27, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You're not supposed to easily find goonhole, ya dolts. That's the point.

I'm pretty much the expedition leader at this point, rallying the new goons to go hunting and scavenging and directing them where to hole up for the nights for some zombie shootin action.

Also, GET IN MUMBLE don't have a Mic? Get in it anyway and respond to what we're saying in normal chat (t) to prove it. You'll live longer and not be shot on suspicion of pubbieism.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also, do yourselves a favor and before you join, go into options and change your player skin to anything but the default brown jacket man. Most pubbies wear that and they're the first ones we point our guns at to check, goon or no.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I've made a PGS thread. Go here if you want to learn how to not be shot by goons in case you can't read the rest of the thread and other useful tips!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598167

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

We relived a bit of goonswarm when we started hopping across servers. We found a hastily fortified and overrun house in huxton with the pubbies upstairs. I threw down a sleeping bag for a spawn point right outside the door and we basically rushed them like a bunch of hapless zerglings, dying in droves but slowly driving the two pubbies with guns back to the roof where we finally cornered and killed them to take their guns. They tried to use the same spawn point and tactics, but we were too many.

Playing with goons is a blast.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Mistle posted:

Sounds fun. If I'm in the server, expect to see me sporting a name similar to my forums name, unless it's friday. Probably not, but you forget things when you drink. :v:

Is corn as magical as blueberries? Food plus hydration?

CornBREAD is. And you can combine it with blueberries to make the ultimate food, blueberry pie.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'm only slightly disappointed the server isn't called 7 dumb ways to die.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

bad boys for life posted:

Everyone is playing nicely with eachother and no ones killing anyone else.
This will not stand.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Easiest way to keep your personal poo poo hidden is to dig a few blocks down and place a chest, then cover it back up. Either have a good memory or mark it with something not obvious, and make sure no one sees you go there, and it'll be pretty safe.

As much as I like goonserver, it's a bit clusterfucky. I'd like to survive with a couple other goons more normally.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

I'm setting up a stream. I'm pretty new to streaming, so we'll see how it turns out.
http://www.twitch.tv/evilreaver

Nevermind, there's some hacker on the server so there's no goon activity, kinda boring to watch I guess.

Could always find some other server, maybe a low population server so that people curious about the game can see what its like?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Besides, cant they spawn in only on a placed bed? I've been able to set up a respawn point for myself by dropping a bed, selecting that point from the map, then picking up the bed, letting me respawn without having a bed placed.

The other solution though is to build a room with a bed on a tall pillar with treespikes at the bottom, then sealing it off so it's pitch black.

You misunderstand, when you join the server, it places you on top of the most populated area. This usually happens to be goonbase. Where you spawn is where you'll stay spawning till you select another

Goons can be dumb, but we're not so dumb to place a spawn point in our own base and then complain about spawning on it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

So there's a ton of holes in the eastern wall and most buildings minus the farm and mine entrance are leveled. Is this normal?

Poked around, found a couple of pubbies spooking around too.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Load bearing torches, probably.

No really, that's a thing that can happen.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

TROOPS! Today we face the enemy. They are stupid. They are whiny. But THEY. ARE. TENACIOUS. I am of course talking about the hated Pubbies.

The requisition officer will give you your weapons. Yes. Those are raw eggs. You will find the enemy, eat those raw eggs like a REAL man (Or woman. Or whatever you're supposed to be), AND FART YOUR WAY INTO THEIR COMPOUND by ANY MEANS NECESSARY! No need to clench, boys and girls. Give it all you got!

Once accomplished, do whatever you can, for death is coming. But fear not! Should you fall to a pubby's lucky shot or the horde you bring, you'll be brought right back for another batch of eggs and a prepared anus! GODSPEED, SOLDIERS!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Eonwe posted:

So I played this with you guys really early on, and I was wanting to see how it had improved. At the time it was pretty much only goons, and a few pubbies who would get spawned right at our base and steal poo poo with no real way to stop them. Has this improved much? Hows the average server pop?

Yes. If the server has pvp mode enabled it will automatically spawn players a fair distance away from all other players. They can find your base again, if they paid attention to their map, but you'll see em coming and goons should still operate under 'shoot approaching survivors on sight unless they tell you they're coming... or maybe shoot em anyway. gently caress em.'

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Shame people aren't on as much these days. I still like the game for being a bit different. I still recall doing a 2 man game with my buddy where we made a hovel out of reinforced scrap iron walls next to a lake. We were able to hold that indefinitely.

I do see the server in question, do we have anything else set up since the OP is out of date? Mumble? Steam group?

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Yeah it's hard that servers are so sporadically populated. If the game could easily support more people on one server you'd probably see larger, centralized servers with higher populations.

The Seattle Local server seems pretty consistently active fwiw.

I noticed, but I'm going to dick around the goon server for a while if you or any others feel like roughing it in the woods.

Though goodness the new weather engine is nice. I'm in a dense fog at night. It's creepy as poo poo to be crawling through the brush and seeing shapes run in the fog.

I do notice that melee is a bit more dangerous. But stealth seems to work a lot more in your favor. I actually got snuck pretty far into town, filling my backpack before a dog finally found me.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also notice the burn victims are now smoldering and have creepy glowing eyes that scared me into thinking it was something worse when I turned around and saw two sets of them in the thick fog lurching towards me. The new look is a really nice improvement.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Gosh, I wish I knew how to use mumble. I assume you guys use one, but I need help getting there. :(

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Thanks for mumble help.

Also Goons. (tm) :rolleyes:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Molothecat posted:

Please stop shooting shotguns and spawning hordes. This is goon-shaming and I won't stand for it.

This is about ethics in goon camaraderie.
molo is a cool and helpful person and you all should tell him where your homes are so he can bring baked goods like a friendly neighbor should

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Minorkos posted:

This sounds really interesting but apparently the Goonfort Deluxe server is in Alaska, which is pretty much on the other side of the globe from where I live. Which is a shame, because 272 ping kinda makes it hard to play.

Anyway I decided to play around with some building concepts. The new lighting effects work really well with indoorsy spaces.

Here's sunlight filtering through barred windows:

Here's some sunlight reflecting off an iron wall (looks cool but I had to turn reflections off since they tank my framerate)

Oh, and you can make traversible airducts now that you can crouch into 1-block spaces.

I kinda want to build stuff but I can't really commit to bigger projects since the patches seem to break prefabs and save files, so I could probably make some prefabs for that server. I'd prefer to build dungeonesque areas. Or maybe like a sky castle. Or an underwater base, if there's an ocean somewhere on the map (maybe the map could be a huge city on an island???)

This looks really cool actually. Almost like secret labratory ambience Or maybe crashed spaceship. You're decent at building that I'd probably just sign on to help you make something cool now that the game looks significantly less lovely. (Anyone still around from the days where it was blocky terrain? I remember that poo poo. :( )

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The old steam group is kind of defunct. People still play this? I'd love to build up and survive with some goons.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, I'd have to ask for an exception. I live in the middle of iowa so my internet is spotty at best.

Stable enough to run games, but it's not unheard of to hit 300 ping for a second or so.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

What is the group anyway? I know I used to be a part of it before the fun factor dropped off. I vaguely remember playing with Molothecat way back then, but that or the discord would be nice. (OP is so out of date and I didn't see anything in the pgs forum)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Speaking of, how do land claim blocks work? I was under the impression you couldn't deactivate people's blocks unless you wailed away at it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

redreader posted:

Can you maybe make the claim size larger or make the multiplier higher? This still requires people to lock their doors etc.

There are server settings to that effect. Claim strength multiplier can be set from 1 to 32 times. A seperate setting entirely for claim blocks when the owner(s) are offline.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Is there a discord server for us now? Found the old server, old password still works. But everyone's cagey (understandably))

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Noticed the in game voice chat sucks! Looks like teamspeak is the preferred usage though.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 20, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Honestly, powderkeg's server is pretty chill and cool. I jumped in, got my poo poo pushed in a few times raiding a store while I tried to figure out the ridiculous melee range of things. Yakked at a couple folks and got let in to their fairly well built up base by offering to give them anything I looted. Eventually discovered teamspeak is the chat thing of choice and am happily holding back the hordes every 7 days with them.

Server name is Goons, Goons, Goons. Passworded, but I don't know if its really my place to share it. (I imagine they don't care, but I do. :shrug:)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Don't really be that scared of the day number. Just join up with other goons and you'll have no problem keeping up with them as we're generous with our spare gear.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Guess I'll jump on to wind my way up the levels.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Sure, a new world? I could go for that after the day I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The Locator posted:

I like them for their feathers, but yeah they are annoying as hell. I always put bars over me because of them, but they are truly annoying when I'm riding along outside, they dive bomb me, get me bleeding and infected so I jump off the bike with a shotgun (or even a spear or whatever) ready and then they are like "I think I'll just circle the sun up here for a while and cackle at that dude on the ground bleeding, no need to go back down there now"... until of course I get back on the bike... *zoom* comes the bird...

Pretty sure it was earlier in this thread, but their 'attack wounded players' AI considers the vehicle's HP as your HP when you're on it. It's weird.