Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Dumb new player here, how do you guys solve your early game food problem? I swear my guys eat like 40 tons of meat a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

A fairly extensive rice field will see you through the early game. Rice grows very quickly and in decent quantity, which you can churn into simple meals to keep everyone going indefinitely. You'll want to switch to corn(if you have rich soil) or potatos(if you don't) later on once you feel you have stable food stores because the quick grow cycle and poor-ish nutritional value of rice means it sucks up a ton of farm labor time, but for the early game rice can't be beat, especially if you supplement it with hunting.

One of the very first things I do whenever I land is plan out a decent rice field(i try to shoot for at least 9 tiles of rice per colonist, so at least 9x9 for a normal crashlanded start), a cotton field, and a smaller healroot field(if I have a grower capable of growing it off the bat).

Thanks for the advice! I usually set down a few 5x15 plots of rice, healroot, and corn when I first land. I find that my cook can't prepare meals faster than my fatties can scarf em down, usually having like one at the end of a full day of nothing but cooking.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

Put a shelf next to your stove for vegetables, and another nearby for meals. That should help your cook spend less time walking in and out of the freezer, and colonists will eat meals faster than they deteriorate.

Once you've researched it, add another shelf for meat and a task to make pemmican forever and drop it on the ground; nutritionally it's just as efficient as simple meals, but keeps longer and colonists will only eat what they need. Whereas a simple meal provides .8 nutrition, and is completely consumed by a colonist even if they only need .6, each unit of pemmican is .05, and they'll take however much they need to fill themselves, which means you'll end up saving the excess over time.

Nice nice, thanks. I'll try this out when the crops grow, we got hit by a fuckin cold snap.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pretty much annihilated my food problem with that sun lamp, even more so when I got to hydroponics. It was touch and go there for a while when we got to the dead of winter, id like to give a quick shoutout to the 3 lynxes that spawned that kept us well fed until the Rice Boom could really kick in.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Please ignore my roving blackouts, also since I took this picture a raid came and stole like 4 of my pawns and one died of an infection

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

I just douse everything in foam and water

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

Archipelagos is one of the best mods, it leads to a totally different game. Try Cold Bog Archipelago, that's about the most interesting map of all for me.

Archipelagos are absolutely gorgeous, I always get a comfy feeling playing on them especially when its raining.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

The giant pile that is Medieval Times also includes ballistae

But it also comes with the rest of Medieval Times, Arrow Please is the better crossbows and friends mod

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

moot the hopple posted:

One of my colonists got her brain scrambled by a stray machine gun round in a raid, leaving her with permanently lowered consciousness. She also stopped being able to do normal recreational activities like chess, poker, etc. The only way to boost her recreation/mood seems to be drugs, but I have to watch out because like one smokeleaf reefer renders her completely unconscious.

Now she walks around buzzed on a daily regime of psychite tea but it doesn't stop her from being the best miner in the colony.

If I ate a bullet i'd wanna be baked 24/7 too.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Tried a one-man game in a forest and got malaria AND the flu and the flu killed me I am livid

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Azhais posted:

meanwhile mine get whatever random sized room based on whatever constraints I was working with at the time

That terrain looks amazing! Which mods do you use for it?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Azhais posted:

To re-reply to this, I was just fiddling with mod settings and in addition to Vanilla Expanded which I mentioned the first time, I've also got:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2260097569

and all it's friends, so that also would affect the terrain

Oh im for sure downloading this one

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Let's see if I post it in the right thread this time, I make dumb little cannon boxes

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

Killing guinea pigs should trigger capybara raids

Because what are capybara but guinea pig heavy units

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kris xK posted:

I want you to know that I've been thinking about this a lot.

Glad i've infected you with my brainrot

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Reddit is the only source of information on the planet anymore so I'll ask here, is there a mod to hide or tweak the notifs that show up at the top left? Not sure if anyone has asked before

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

silentsnack posted:

You mean like Block Unwanted Minutiae? Haven't run it recently but at least the modpage says it's updated for 1.4

oh yeye this works, thank you!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Is there any way to call your allies to a tile that isn't your home tile (mod or otherwise)? Like, when you're assaulting an enemy base? Would love to handle city assaults with an actual coalition of local forces

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Coolguye posted:

you might try bringing enough supplies to build a solar panel and comm panel to see if that would let you call in for "immediate military aid" but i'm gonna be honest i'm not super hopeful

Oh yeah i tried that one and it didnt work unfortunately (there's a small comms panel mod that *also* Does Not let you call in allies if you arent on your home tile). I see people are talking about empire troops but I kinda just wanna call in the tribals that I have like 6-7 treaties with lmao

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Every day someone with a humiliation fetish comes up with a new way to indulge and we all have to see it

Also, does the thread like combat reports? Like, I play this game nearly solely as a Global Tactical Engagements Sim (thank you Rimmunation and Aerocraft) but I feel like very few people are trying to play this game like it's XCOM like I do lmao

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 28, 2023

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Danaru posted:

I've tried a couple times to make a Mother Base style military group and use SRTS planes to send out strike teams, but I always wind up getting sucked into building a fancy base and not actually sending anyone out :frogdunce: i can't wait for Vanilla Expanded Vehicles

E: oh god I went to check on VE:V only to find they released Vanilla Expanded: Highmates

Sending out little strike teams and having them actually link up with allied troops to liberate a city with equipment they made themselves scratches some kinda tactical itch for me that I cannot explain, love seeing em run around all tacticool like little marines aahhh

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Danaru posted:

And cat boys <:mad:> Don't forget the cat boys

If you haven't yet, check out Vanilla Expanded: Settlers. It adds a mission type where a faction calls you about a wanted criminal, it's like a normal attack mission but you get double the silver if you bring them to that faction alive. It's my favourite kind of quest :v:

I need to check that out for sure yeah, I was eyeing it in the workshop just now!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Coolguye posted:

i appreciate new ways of looking at and approaching combat situations since combat is such a huge part of this game and also one of the most gnarly.

i was just whining about the multi-direction raids so if you happen to find some sick way of fending off a 3-pronged assault i might appropriate ideas.

(I have no idea what mods youre running and im high so)
Fighting on multiple fronts is wild and crazy and that's why I either try to funnel them all together or harass one group with the plane while ground units engage the other two. Usually I'll have one or two units with rockets trained on problem units like mounts and ESPECIALLY mechanoid anythings. I've found that a skilled rocketeer on the ground can kill mechanized groups better than a plane dropping bombs, although the softening of a bombing run does help the rifle users deal with them if your rocketeer gets Unlucky and a plane's pilot is arguably in less danger than a ground unit, be prepared to spend like 10-15 shells on something like that tho. Dont drop EMPs, fire them, your jet is also a machine!!!

When it comes to pure infantry v infantry I've had some success having units stack up close to each other so they can fire in unison or, preferably, one after the other as they move up, this goes insane against small scattered groups of enemies trickling into a fight or against one poor sap in cover you wanna take, if done right unarmored/lightly armored units will crumble as you advance on their positions, sometimes without even getting a shot off. I personally do not understand combat that isn't urban so I'm doing all this with the goals of taking and holding points between small skirmishes so this would suit a more open plan village style base.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Busters posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing that, but with a disclaimer about what mods you're using

Oh for sure, I run a ton but nothing super wild(?) I think the most game changing are things like Aerocraft, Rimcities, Dynamic Diplomacy, Factional Wars- [scroll dropping and rolling out of the room gag].

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

Haven't actually played since about two months after 1.4 came out. Any cool big mod releases since then?

I owe my life to aerocraft framework, planes are a game changer

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Honestly I find it more exciting to try to build utopia in the barren wastes than building a war crime facility.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

Tell me about small things you do that make their lives better in little ways.

The kitchen and workspaces are always within Decent walking distance of the apartment bloc, i dont like having people walk 40 years to their destination so I try to minimize foot traffic. All meals are vegetarian, grown from our own farms which have a variety of different fruits and veggies, fruit trees are also moved closer to base. A bustling smokeleaf industry means everyone gets their State Allocated one joint per day with the exception of depressive or unstable pawns, who are allowed a few more. Very little alcohol on base as most of it is sold anyway. There isnt a single gas guzzling generator belching nasty chemfuel fumes into the air, all power generation is either wind, solar, or geothermal.

Most of my pawns are "civilian" pawns who have high growing, art, or crafting skill. Each civvie gets a shield belt while the military pawns are outfitted with EOD suits or Plate armor depending on availability. Robust healthcare system gets every pawn fixed up as soon as possible, I've had pawns that lost spines back up on their feet within the month, even former enemies. Former enemy pawns who have high social or medicinal skill are nearly guaranteed citizenship.

WE DO NOT: harvest organs from still living pawns, attack innocents in any fashion, execute any pawns, practice slavery, or negotiate with terrorists (no foreign bounties will be honored in any way, we do not pay protection money)

WE DO: provide free food and housing for all guests, provide protection for all pawns, jail foreign pawns for harming citizens (to the point where they lose limbs, a few cuts and scrapes are no big deal), buy slaves in order to free them, and provide a respectable burial plot for all fallen pawns complete with some sort of artwork for a headstone.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

You're playing dwarf fortress at that point, complete with FPS drops. I usually keep about 15-20 pawns.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

Yeah that's my sweet spot. 15-20 pawns is enough that you have a huge colony to work with but it's a small enough number that you can still remember each pawn's quirks without having to start giving them serial numbers and the game doesn't crawl to 2 fps.

fr, I dont know how they do it but a raid in the rain will decimate my FPS and these people got RTS level amounts of units, PLEASE teach me your ways!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

There's nothing I love more than cavalry glamour shots

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

a tribal vehicle mod dropped JUST NOW and im feasting

Alpha Vehicles - Neolithic, trying it out right now
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3028675048

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

jokes posted:

A slave-drawn carriage for my pig man to ride into battle

the chariots look like a great way to use the dozens of horses you end up breeding as a horde

drat the horses come with the vehicle smh

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 31, 2023

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

This post honestly sells it for me, I've been thinking about adding those mods for the longest time lmao

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Epic will all take turns punching them in the gut until they relent. John Unity is basically mandating that he get a tip for each download and no company with power is going to let that fly.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

You don't deal with other people's bullshit for free, ever

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

moot the hopple posted:

What's everyone's base looking like?

21 people over 6.5 years, we're in the process of rebuilding our armored division after a particularly nasty siege took a couple from us lmao.

Now that we even have armor support in the first place I've been taking them on more and more kill missions around the globe, bounty hunting is hot right now and momma needs to feed her gold addiction 💅

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

moot the hopple posted:

Nice. I also love the idea of a more open, village type colony made out of discrete, individual buildings. I've been slowly breaking myself of the habit of making a mountain warren base where the only part above ground is a heavily fortified entrance/kill zone. My current base is still clinging to those old traditions since it abuts a mountain and the bedrooms and dining hall are located beneath overhead mountain roof but I'm trying to move away from that. A scrunched up together base does make it easy to just throw up some roofing and simple zoning to deal with toxic fallout or to easily funnel enemies during drop pod raids, but these days I want to go more for aesthetics. I'm just crap about making my base look like a place people would actually live in instead of a compound delineated according to gameplay.

I love building bases with the idea that we're going to fight IN this thing like, that entire street is covered in lamps and little nooks pawns can hide in to shoot from. I think someone here said they build their bases like CSGO maps and thank you for that because I've internalized it.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

trait gain on events is absolutely insanely dumb. whoops, got flu, now i'm gay

One time I accepted one singular male pawn into my all woman camp and they caught plague and became a misogynist lol

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Slavery is JUST the rear end in a top hat option, just like in real life there is no reason to engage in slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

Anyone experiment with vehicles? I'm, uh, not terribly impressed. They're extremely resource expensive to get built and guzzle chemfuel like mad in exchange for being incredibly awkward to move around and being terribly vulnerable to enemies in any real numbers. Compared to the previous land-based transportation mod, Giddy Up, they seem inferior in most regards - if a horse gets shot out from under me, it's extremely painless to replace, and a dozen horses can handle heavy duty caravan duty substantially better than almost all of the available vehicles while also not chugging chemfuel like water.

I've been playing with vehicles for a while now, I'm not sure if the damage they take can be tweaked but I know that fuel capacity and drain is configurable. I've taken the VE tanks on multiple excursions and yeah, even the beefed up tanks get poked full of holes with small arms fire and even sword swipes (although the sword was plasma sword). I watched one get it's engine blown out with an anti-material rifle, which is supposed to happen right, but groups of 3-5 enemies with less powerful arms have also swiss cheesed these things and even killed the pawns inside.

When you have insane amounts of steel and components from multiple cutthroat deals made with blood money they become slightly less of a pain to replace but, yeah, that is more resource and labor intensive than letting the horsies do their thing. Armored fighting vehicles do have their uses tho, even garbage armor is better than no armor so your pawns are more protected in a firefight in a Roadkill than on horseback, you also have more firepower in a Highwayman (probably), and a single Tango is transporting more pawns more safely than a gang of horsies. You can also use them as cover, I think they function like walls where every shot fired hits the armor and not the pawn sitting behind it, unless they're peeking of course.

I think the true strength of VE's armored vehicles is their firepower, a couple pawns can do a lot riding around in a Highwayman or a Tango laying down covering fire and even something small like a Roadkill is like giving a pawn a rocket launcher.

With all that being said I think there is space on the battlefield for both light cav and armored vehicles.

The air vehicles are entirely useless tho.

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 18, 2023