Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Honestly, everyone in the strip being an unlikeable poo poo heel is pretty accurate to a genuine retail environment. The biggest thing I like about "Retail" is that it accurately shows that everyone is mercenary as gently caress and will cut each other's throats for lateral promotions and pay raises that total less than 50 cents. And also the customers suck.

The strip could easily have been (and maybe was? only been reading it about a year) a predictable shlock where everybody is friends and it's Us vs. Them and boy these employees sure are a bunch of zaney cut-ups! Nope, everyone is a dickhead and serving their own means, even in ways that are petty and with no personal benefit.

Also post Moomin one page per day, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh yes, two 20-something women living together in an apartment with no obvious male attachments, They MUST be loving.
You got it, you cracked the case. Good job, slugger.

I first started reading the comic right around the start of the arc about Boss' big date, and I thought part of the humour was that Jill and Ingrid were together. It's pretty obvious near the end that Jill has feelings for Ingrid that she hasn't confessed from the way she acts during the date and afterward.

But no, yeah, it's probably we're just ship-happy tumblrites unable to stop pairing everyone together. Mike du Jour x Picasso is my OTP, what's yours? :allears:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

tiistai posted:

Pretty sure that wasn't nearly the last of it, it's just that the poster didn't have the rest of strips.

Fingerpori

- I'm starting up a beauty salon where you can get e.g. bikini waxings by burning!
- Still missing the name
- "Alakulo"

Yes, he literally says "waxings by burning". Obviously he just means hair removal, but burning? I guess that's a laser thing. What frightens me is that thing looks more like a soldering iron.

Anyway! Alakulo means melancholy, blue mood, that sort of thing. Slightly better than depressed. It's a compound word consisting of ala, a prefix form of "low", and kulo which probably used to have some kind of a meaning in old Finnish that relates to mood (if not outright meaning "mood"), but in modern language it mainly means a "forest fire". Wiktionary claims it's also "a dry, dead grass from previous summer" but I guess that's a regional thing since I never heard that one.

He probably means electrolysis, which is inserting a thin metal probe into a hair follicle, then quickly charging it with electricity to burn the hair at the root. There is also laser hair removal though, and they're both common enough things for a beauty salon to offer.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Because most retail jobs require khaki pants.

My company allows khaki pants or skirts. :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

"Chip" would tend to indicate AA, but some people with addiction problems to other drugs wind up in AA anyways. Sometimes people quit their DOC and discover they go back to it when they get drunk so they stop that too, or they find that they just have a problem with alcohol after all as well.

As far as Communion, it depends. People have gone into relapses on far less.

I've known a few people in NA and they also had chips. Saying "clean" probably means Dag was on drugs. :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Somebody explain this to me. We shouldn't educate people because everybody has different ways of thinking? We should educate people so that everybody is exposed to different ideas? I honestly don't get it. I'd think it's advocating for that unschooling bullshit, but I'm pretty sure that didn't exist back then.

"Everyone with an ideology thinks theirs is the right one, and will look down on others as ignorant and unenlightened, and will often take initiatives to force their beliefs and standards onto other people. This is a harmful and misguided way of thinking regardless of who you are or what your ideologies happen to be."

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

Has anyone ever considered trying to cook anything from this strip? I'll admit that I was tempted to when I read the strip in my paper, but I never got around to it because we never had any necessary ingredients.

I saved the one about turkey cabbage rolls so that I can make it later. The loaded baked potato soup looks pretty good, but not quite as good as just having some loaded baked potatoes. Seems pretty hit-or-miss, but I like it and I hope Darthemed never stops posting it. :3::hf::chef:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

CaptainCaveman posted:

The only thing I can come up with (after spending more time looking at this than I'd care to admit to) is because her hat matches her purse and shoes. I'm not sure how this would really rule out her stealing the hat today, though.

Edit: I feel like the answer probably relates to the water dripping from his umbrella, but can't see any indication of her hat being wet or dry.

None of the head mannequins are missing hats, so she couldn't have taken anything that was on display.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I guess we're meant to side with the staff on this one, but no, gently caress you. I walk into a shop and before I've had a chance to look around some staff member is asking me if I need help. Well, I don't know yet, do I? Give me a moment. And then once I've had a look, if I didn't find what I needed, I look around for a staff member, and where the hell did you all go?

I like shops that have an information counter. That way if I need help I know where to get it and if I don't then I'm not bothered. And you don't even need a counter, just a staff member at a clearly labelled location so I can find them. I understand if it's a small place that doesn't have the staff for that, but bigger places do, and seem to use their resources in the worst possible way, hassling everyone who comes through the door and having no one available to help customers already in the shop.

I guess greeting people who come in is supposed to be friendly or something, but it's annoying. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to buy some poo poo I need and leave as quickly as possible with the absolute minimum of interaction with other people.

Aside from the loss prevention stuff people mentioned, it's also a performance metric. Before my company recanted, they enacted a policy where every sales associate had to engage every customer, ask them what they wanted, take them to the product (whether they insisted you didn't or not), and ask them about the project they were working on. Management had to make sure everyone was doing it, secret shoppers were sent out every week, and you could get punished or even fired if you slipped up just once. It was crazy and thankfully customer complaints (as well as lowered productivity from having to baby everyone that came in) got it changed.

If you don't like being hounded, there's probably a survey on your receipt you can take at every chain store. The corporate offices listen to those and employees hate reading off those committee-written speeches to everyone more than you hate having everyone bug you with it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Dragongem posted:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the dad in FW calls his daughter Barbie?

Yeah? It's a pretty common nickname for Barbara. It's what my grandmother calls my aunt. :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Look at that first panel. He's not even driving on the road!

Like any other good ol' boy, Phil is spending a Saturday muddin' on his friend's dad's land and getting lost in deep introspection. :911:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I have a savings account that I can use for direct deposits, direct debits, a debit card (that businesses can charge as a credit card) and bank cheques and the only fees I pay are if I use another bank's ATMs, in which case it's that other bank charging me the fee. I've asked about it and I'm still not really sure what a "checking account" is. It seems like in America you have to pay just to have a normal bank account, which is crazy.

Savings accounts aren't really meant to have money drawn from them regularly. Sometimes they have higher interest rates and are less likely to have fees associated with them, but you don't get checks or debit cards that draft from them (often called "check cards" here, though that's becoming outdated). Checking accounts are specifically meant just to be a place to hold your money, have lower interest rates, sometimes have fees associated with them if your credit was bad/nonexistant, but the advantage is you can draft money out of them pretty easily.

I have two savings accounts, neither of which I can access from an ATM. They both have higher interest rates than my checking account, but the checking account can be accessed from ATMs and my debit card is backed by Mastercard and useful anywhere that takes MC. No fees because when I opened them I had okay credit and fulfilled somewhat sizable minimum opening deposits. The account I had in college would charge a monthly fee so that, even if I overdrafted, they were making money off me the whole time to make up for it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Hey, I guessed this one right! :haw:

Surely the assassin would have brought ample paper with them from their home land to commit murder. Also that letter could have been written on a post-it to completely gently caress over the good inspector.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

This isn't true. Police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks all fill up at regular gas stations as well as their own dispatch stations. I've sold gasoline to all of them back when I worked in one. These people drive around all day, it's stupid to have to go all the way back just to fill up.

gently caress these obtuse puzzles.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

The dog looks different again, so I imagine that someone already did. Yet again Phil's dog has died, so he replaced it with another white dog, put a bandanna on it, and said "good enough". Nancy and Sluggo, being children, do not question the dog's shifting appearance, unaware that had they left the original dog in its yard, many canine deaths could have been prevented.

Seriously though Gilchrist's art is awful and he can't keep the dog looking the same in back-to-back strips. Phil's appearance is rather mercurial as well, even ignoring the amazing tripling in body mass, actually.

Phil's eyes migrate up and down his forehead in the three panels of just this comic.

gently caress you, Guy Gilchrist.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I like how the cowboys wear high heel boots, with higher heels than the marm has on her shoes. When did men stop wearing such things?

High heels were invented to allow your feet to catch into saddle stirrups. The automobile has sort of killed the need.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Is this an edit? Why would the artist lovingly render three unique hooked noses and the outlines of a ski mask compressed around a curly mop of hair and make the car be the only relevant clue? :psyduck:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

...customer service? We don't do that poo poo here. We don't give a poo poo about customers. The only people we care about are other retail employees. Actually, that's not true either. Let me amend that. We only care about other retail employees who are exactly like ourselves with the correct(TM) opinions.

Being pulled away from your work so that your boss can "amp you up" by telling you to do what you've already been doing all day, every day and then ask you what your CS goal is so you can barf out some trite company line instead of just say "I'm going to do what you told me to do and also help people find poo poo until my shift ends" is loving dumb and they're right to hate it. Cashiers have stats that can be monitored, but if you're working the sales floor the only criteria you're measured on is how quickly and efficiently you complete tasks; it's basically impossible to track your impact on sales as an individual. My company used to do this same sort of thing and not a single one ever worked because half the people in the group would be pulled away by customers because the store is already loving open.

Not to defend the characters in "Retail." They're all garbage, but this "huddle time" poo poo is more corporate dart throwing to stave off the encroaching irrelevance of brick-and-mortar retail.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Pound sign? Pound sign!? It's called an octothorpe you jack rear end. If you are going to be a curmudgeon at least curmudgeon correctly.

And why can't I use an interobang rather than a !? combo? Stupid iPad.

It's a Tic-Tac-Toe symbol. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Yet you continue to support the racket that is prescription glasses.

Totally looks like you have a cephalopod trying to escape from your mouth.

Assuming Ed has what google tells me is an average salary for a lawyer in America he wouldn't even need to work a full day to pay off the $400 for a dental guard of the same type I have. If he has a better-than-average salary, he would have it paid off before lunch time. This is, of course, also assuming he doesn't have dental insurance, which he may not if he's the kind of clown to buy a gum shield from Dick's just to spite a dentist.

Ed Kudlik, you cheap rear end in a top hat.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Can I hate this, but still appreciate that he bothered to draw the little doodad for playing 45s?

You can hate the fact that he drew it to look like a swastika!

I'm even searching google right now and I can't find one with 4 arms. :hitler:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

I expect too much from this comic. Here I thought the clock having no numbers was just an abstraction of the simple art style. One has to take everything at face value, even if it wouldn't make sense in a real-world situation.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait hold on Inspector Danger says that the date on the ticket is right, but if they were in Dogburg at only 9 AM how did they see a movie? Maybe it's just because I live in a small town but I've never heard of theaters starting shows before about noon at the earliest, usually after 1 PM though.

Obviously a cinema only prints the date on the tickets, not the time of your movie! :downsgun:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

But #4 is wearing heels! Who wears heels when they're at home just watching TV alone?

I'm so sorry you don't know what it means to truly be alive.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Why can't her friends go to the prom with her? What sort of prom does one get invited to that all one's friends aren't immediately invited to too?

Those aren't her friends, that's the lesbian coven that has legal guardianship over her.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

scarycave posted:

If Everett True was still alive he would cream you.

What ever happened to ol' Everett anyway? He was a jingoistic nutbag for a while but he was tapering off before he disappeared.

And while we're on the subject, what became of Foxy Grandpa? Did he and The Baby finally get flummoxed by The Boys? :ohdear:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

I think the solution to this setup last time was that everything in the bathroom is oriented for a left-handed person but the mug on the table is to the guy's right, so the escaped criminal was eating breakfast and had to hide quickly.

Inspector Danger, maybe you should have checked his other pants pocket for a sheet of wax paper. It's not a crime to enjoy the comb kazoo. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

I love this comic. It's so adorable and all the characters are pretty great. :3:

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Bliznoferous is an awesome word.

Yes, it's very scrumtrilascent!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I was hoping it would end with "Alvin, we need to see other people."

Emmy Lou and Taffy are going to turn out to be the new Jill and Other Jill. Mark my words.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Wee Pals

Is that a racial slur I'm not aware of or something?

Jesus, Trihn is out for loving blood on this one. :stare:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Huh? Is this an edit?

e: oh :ms:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Helicity posted:

It's like Family Guy had dirty sex with Ctrl+Alt+Del and this is the offspring :getin:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

Things that are geeks by Skip's criteria:
  • Your grandpa
  • most churches
  • literally anyone between the ages of 8 and 16
  • Any child old enough to comprehend how to play a game on a smart phone

Heh, looks like Skip really stuck it to those jocks with their ipads taking selfies and dating women! :smuggo:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Just make sure you and your siblings don't all visit your rich uncle on the same night in 1 hour intervals.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Quick catch-up post!

Intelligent Life

geeques and jorks

Thanks for fighting the good fight, Skip. It's the hardcore games like Words With Friends that separate the prestigious geeks from those loving casual jocks that only play Madden. You're doin' God's work, son!

e: Holy poo poo I just noticed that the second panel of the second comic doesn't have any smugbrows. I think this is a first for "Intelligent Life!" :golfclap:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

So it looks like the bald one in the yellow shirt's main character trait is "manchild". Not that that doesn't apply to three-quarters of the characters in this strip, I guess.

A lot of these non-punchlines remind me of the dregs of Keenspot I use to browse through when I was still a fresh-faced lass and hadn't yet realized most people who make comics suck at it. How many editors did this Reddick character have to blow to get this thing published on even a website, much less picked up by a paper for two weeks?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

That, and 20 minutes after 1:20 is more than 20 minutes before 2:03. :geno:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I love how Nemi is just totally oblivious to Cyan's reaction. And, "cellars"? Huh. That's a new one.

It's a British English thing. What's universal is matching salt & pepper shakers with no clear indicators worked into their design. :argh:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps SCHEDULE CHANGE :supaburn:

:negative:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I figured it would be the house with no dish and they used fibre optic internet or something. :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Somebody had to.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

:stonk: AHH! Put 'em back, Nemi, but 'em back!

I'm really glad Nathan Explosion decided to beef out later in the strip's run. The gangly Robert Smith look doesn't work for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils is back on track.

This one's definitely a rerun. Like, from just a few months ago.

She got caught up just in time to go on a break. :(

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

The kid's going to expose him as a rabbit, and then he will be killed and eaten.

Isn't Coney already a rabbit? Her name is even the term for a baby hare. I thought it was just some bizarre thing where she looks like all rabbit but her mother is a wolf or something so she's magically never targeted for the same gruesome murder she has been raised to commit on a daily basis.

e: I just reread that last sentence I wrote and goddammnit Holbrook :psypop:

• Locked thread