Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Sad news, guys: I don't think there's going to be a crazy Kwanzaa storyline in Curtis this year.

:(

That sucks! It was really the only entertaining part of Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

It almost makes it more comforting to read this if I just imagine Bud Grace has a weird vore fetish that involves being cooked and eaten by strapping young savages.

Almost.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'm also feelin' the love for Foxy Grampa. It just has this wonderful turn-of-the-century charm!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The ring is on the rat's tail.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Retail is seriously starting to make me hate this thread and never want to return. GO AWAY!!!

... But strangely enough I really like Gil. I'm just amazed that Feuti can make one series that's charming, and another that's completely abhorrent. It's a little like the Raine Dog/Heavenly Nostrils divide.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I actually really enjoy Lio; it's not the greatest comic, but it's charming and I like the line work of the illustrator.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

This is like, a Holbrook level joke.

Maybe. But that's a beautifully drawn flea!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

This news hit me like a ton of bricks.

We'll miss you, Morrie! Thank you for all the decades of wisdom, warmth, and laughter!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Surburbia

I have no idea what's going on in this comic, but I love the art.

It's like what H.P. Lovecraft would have drawn is he were illustrating underground comics in the 1970's.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The Sphinxster posted:

And the story is SUPER compelling. I mean she died of cancer and was spirited or something.

Actually is there anything special about ~Lisa's Story~? That's kind of bugging me now. There's some kind of race, that's about all I know.

It reminds me of conversation I'd gotten into with someone who worked for a book publisher. I had asked her she had seen any interesting submissions for books, and the first thing she complained about was how every other manuscript she received was about a writer who battled cancer. "It's like every person who's ever had cancer believes they're the only one who has, and their story is unique."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

You mean Octon... called Cobra... called Luciphor? Mandrake's brother goes through aliases the way other people go through toilet paper!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know, but I'm just really annoyed with Trudeau.

In the tradition of "Garfield Minus Garfield", I'd like to see a edit series called "Doonesbury Without Hair", where the challenge is to determine who any of these characters actually are without their sole differentiating characteristic.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Moose and Molly

If the staff at a pet shop stop paying attention for even a moment, the animals will just walk right out. They're not locked up or contained in any way.

Moose & Molly is the prequel to Slylock Fox. This is the moment when the animals rise up and take civilization from mankind!!!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Cut him some slack. It was probably legit polluted and full of OSHA violations.

I know it's racist and sexist, but seeing Ed put on blackface drag to mess with his son cracks me up every time!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ok, I'll give you that. But, in moussaka's case, it's the fact that the hummus component overpowers the eggplant. :smug:

I find the trick to good eggplant, however you cook it, is to salt and rinse it beforehand. The salt leeches out most of the bitterness in the fruit, leaving a good savory flavor.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

:smithicide:

Well, there's goes my ability to sleep... ever. What comic is this from?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Poor Spidey must be getting some serious Gwen Stacy flashbacks now.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

He's supposed to be a man with body image issues, a lot of money, and access to advanced medical technology. Everybody around him thinks he looks like a fluffy cloud, but who cares, he's HUGE.

I don't think anybody's actually reading this strip any more, they're just racing to be the first one to find a new thing in the art to complain about.

That's because there's practically nothing else going on in ZNJ - the entirely story line is just this gormless douche being shuffled around to different locations and meeting unlikeable characters because LOL SO RANDOM!!! SEE THESE ROBOTS THEY'RE FUNNY BECAUSE THEY CURSE A LOT ARE U LAUGHING YET?!?

The busy, overcrowded composition of the art is really just to distract the viewer from the lack of plot. It's a lot like Gil Thorpe in that way.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Am I weird for thinking this is a really good strip? I mean, I already kind of liked the characters from other works [never really followed any of it closely though], but this comic is really appealing to me. It's clever humor, and while it kind of relies on knowing the personalities of the characters, it stands up pretty well on its own too.

It just feels incredibly relaxed and not forced, and it's really pleasant. I dunno. :3:

I agree! (But I like the edits, too)

Also want to throw some more love towards Lost Side of Suburbia!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Command Ant posted:

Something just dawned on me; where are they going to the bathroom?

On top of a newspaper, which Heckbender then takes to the outside world and publishes under the title "Mike Du Jour."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I thought this was interesting: James Allen, the new writer/artist of Mark Trail, posts on Comics Curmudgeon. He had this to say about some of the new directions he wants to take the comic in...

James Allen posted:

I appreciate your kind words regarding the “direction” of this story. That being said, I also want to add… I have looked at past installments of Mark Trail and often times, the story gets “explained” early at the beginning and it’s really a matter of watching what you know is already coming (bad guys get introduced first and their motivation is explained, then Mark shows up and you already know the story).

I didn’t want to go that route. I figured on this story, just play it straight through… don’t let people know what to expect … that bit of “not knowing” may ensure that they read tomorrow … simply to see what happens.

Now, we all know Mark is a great outdoorsman, but why? what makes him a great outdoorsman? Well, as I mentioned in a post a week or so ago, not only did I want to “map out” Lost Forest a bit, but I also wanted to delve into Mark’s head and portray a few of the traits that make him the outdoorsman that he is.

ALL of this WITHOUT telling readers within the first few days what the whole story is going to be! So, DEAR READERS… come along with me … TOGETHER let’s take “Mark Trail” places, as yet unseen. Let’s take it places where you DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING right up front… and TOGETHER we may discover something… not just about Mark, but about ourselves as well.
-James

All I can say is that I look forward to the new regime!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Well, this is a thing that exists... The Kevin & Kell RPG :stare:

...WHY?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Kell-Roleplaying-Game-Jamie/dp/0976996006

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Everything Counts posted:

Log Casserole, my favorite.

What rolls down stairs
and over in pairs
roll over your neighbor's dog?

What's great for a snack
and fits on your back?
It's LOG
LOG
LOG!!!

It's LOG, it's LOG
It's Big, it's Heavy, it's WOOD
It's LOG, it's LOG
It's Better than Bad - it's GOOD!!!

Everyone wants a LOG
Your gonna love the LOG
C'mon and get your LOG
Everyone needs a LOG LOG LOG LOG

LOG(tm)
from BLAMMO!!! (inc)

(batteries not included)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Now I know that SM takes a lot of liberties with the truth - superpowers, evil clowns, etc -

... but a NYC cabbie that speaks English?!? That's where I draw the line. :rimshot:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Guys, not to get all First World Problems, but...

... a Facebook friend of mine just posted a 9CL comic on his feed.

I may have to disown somebody :negative:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

I really don't understand what everyone's beef is, I enjoy seeing Lost Side come up every time it's posted. It's fun to read.

I agree! The plot of this arc is basically like a kid's action cartoon premise, but the literary references are cool, and the artwork's great. It's a clever story directed at adolescents, and to poke holes in it just to satisfy our jaded middle-aged sensibilities is missing the point.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

Wherein I question the decisions of Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Okay, colourist. I don't expect you to know exactly what a great horned owl looks like, that's pretty specific. I do expect you to have a general idea of what colour an owl is.

Poncho made the costume himself, and he, like all dogs, is colorblind.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

Oh my God, the plot points are starting to come together. The narrative flow is making sense. I think I understand Zachary Nixon Johnson.

I'm scared, guys.

It's like System Shock, if SHODAN* were a 30' twink in hot pants.

*dare I call him BRODAN?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

I just don't get this Wee Pals. They're usually pretty easy to figure out, but nope. I got nothing.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that the kid is confusing "kilogram" for "telegram."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TofuDiva posted:

This.

And because content, Cheap Thrills Cuisine, June 25 2014. I haven't been posting these regularly because they've been boring and barely snarkworthy, but here, have this one:

Hey, it's a CTC where the finished product doesn't look like a prop from a Cronenburg film.

Achievement earned!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Inspector Danger gets a lot better if you just assume that every character is walking around completely poo poo-faced.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Bonus Peanuts will continue until morale improves. Or until I see a shiny red ball. Y'know, whatever comes first. (July 27, 1956)

Seriously, no harm in not feeling the love. It's very interesting that the ones who aren't into the "peak oil" Peanuts lean towards the year one strips, though.

Peak Peanut Oil? :rimshot:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

For Ed that would probably be a couple bites.

If this is how Ed usually acts in restaurants, I'm guessing a good 10% of his diet consists of waiters' phlegm and saliva.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

and a special Penny Arcade that I'm only including because it was drawn by Bill Amend, of Foxtrot fame.

"Hey Dad, what are "dickwolves"?"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

At some point I'm expecting Mandrake to awake in his bed and start complaining about the rarebit he ate last night.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

If your dodos can legit count cards they're really being underutilized.

Also known as the storage closet.

Uh, excuse me, alleged card counters. I don't program my card counting animatronic bots to confess.

There's something that just cracks me up about this white basketball player bragging about his assists.

We all KNOW you CAN'T JUMP! :cmon:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Moose and Molly

I don't get it. :confused:

The dog crapped on the floor because Moose wouldn't take it for a walk, so now it's giving him a mop to clean up the mess.

:thejoke:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

I'd watch the hell out of it :)

Only if H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Marigold.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

It's actually suspect number 2 because can't nobody hate chicken, it is one of the Basic meats of no offense to anybody

On the last day of the Bubble Boy's life he asked for chicken yakitori

Used the skewer to pop his own bubble

Last thing he said was Awesome thanks for the chicken I loved it so much It was the only pleasure I ever knew

He used sign language to say this to the scientists

Everybody on hand completely cried their hearts out as the plastic bubble drew tightly across his face slowly suffocating him

RandomFerret's from Circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TheWyrmDude posted:

The Creeps is a national treasure. And I've always pictured Skinny Creep as having Lemongrab's voice.

I could see that. Fat Creep always sounds like Chris Griffin in my head.

• Locked thread