Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Just chiming in to say I love YNAB and use it religiously. It's currently the only reason I'm not trying something insane to get money coming in since I was laid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

its a really big deal

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

hes a big dumb crossfitter but his wife browbeat him into making a wonderful application i cherish

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

cc's work fine for me, maybe the YNAB toolkit is doing something to make them easier to use?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

in NYNAB you can do that or you could reconcile the account against actual and it will offer to put in a balance adjustment for the missing money, correcting the balance

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

yeah it started off as a spreadsheet in ynab 1 and 2

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

it's already insane what the toolkit for ynab crew is able to accomplish

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

they also posted the API contest winners and there's some cool stuff in there...

YNAB CE-bro posted:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/announcing-the-ynab-api-contest-winners/

Meet the best in show & put them to work in your budget!

When we released YNAB’s public API, we were excited. Flash forward, and our hopes have been realized—we’ve seen some very cool, new developments. Seriously, even if “API integration” sounds like mumbo jumbo to you, keep reading to find out how the API can make your budget more extra.

To kick things off, we hosted an API development contest and received dozens of entries. Then it was up to our panel of five judges, including two developers, a designer, a customer support representative and one of those jokers from our marketing team. They assessed each submission for innovation, usefulness, foresight, usability and cohesiveness with The Four Rules.

It was satisfying, if not easy, work … and we’re so pleased to announce the winners!
First Place Goes to James Miller
for Allowance for YNAB

James Miller’s app, Allowance for YNAB, earned him first place and our grand prize, a virtual reality headset/rig (up to $3,000 total), plus three years of YNAB.

Allowance for YNAB is an iOS app that allows you to choose a few of your most-used budget categories and display their balances in prominent places. You can view your favorite categories within the app, in the Today Widget, or by using force touch on the app. This allows you to check balances quickly and easily without opening YNAB. Read more here.
Second Place Goes to Darren Taylor
for Family Budgets

Our runner-up is Darren Taylor’s Family Budgets, which earned him second place, an iPhone X or Google Pixel 2 XL, and a year of YNAB.

Family Budgets lets you create a profile and integrate that profile with your YNAB budget. This allows you to share your budget with another user, but with limited access, as determined by you! Use the profile settings to select which categories the user may view and record transactions to.
And the Honorable Mentions Go to …

Finally, we’d be remiss without including three, well-deserved honorable mentions:

Monzo to YNAB, developed by Ashley Hindle, allows users to link their YNAB account with Monzo bank in order to import transactions in real time.
Beyond Rule 4, by John Morrissey, turns your YNAB data into a chart that shows how far along you are in your journey to financial independence.
YNAB Multi-Currency, by Rafael Millán, lets you budget with multiple currencies in a single budget. This integration automatically converts transactions from your bank accounts that hold a foreign currency into the currency that you use in your YNAB budget.

Everyone’s A Winner!

The prizes are accounted for, but we’re all winners in this contest—and the fun doesn’t have to end! If you’re a YNABer, definitely check out this winning lineup of integrations.

And, calling all developers: Our API is ready and willing! If you’ve got an idea up your sleeve, check out our API documentation for everything you need to start your own integration. And our Support Forum is a great place to share your work. See you in there!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i was lucky and jumped on quickly so my nYNAB is 45/yr

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

toolkit for YNAB added Sankey diagram income breakdowns - here's an example from my budget (I cut out the income side of things because it has my employer's name)

you can hover each flow to see the total and filter/change dates and categories - it's pretty neat

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

when they first launched nynab they had a lower price with a discount for people switching from ynab4 - i am locked in at $45/yr which i think is the right price for nynab

was shocked when my fiancee showed me the current pricing

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

auto import messes up for me occasionally but ynab's support is actually really good about fixing stuff up if you let them know in the little chat box

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Keret posted:

I never used to have problems with credit cards in nYNAB, but lately it has consistently started acting weird with them. I end up with weird totals and it saying that I've overspent (overpaid in their case) in those categories, despite running them through the right categories and logging as a transfer when I pay. It's odd. Maybe it's the auto import messing with things.

In related news, my CU has totally given up on sending transactions to YNAB. Also weird because that used to work too, now I have to keep relogging in via YNAB and then after a day or two it stops importing again. I guess I'll have to just go manual and download the history files every week to import myself.

try bugging their support in the chat about that - i have had them fix my cu a few times

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

these are my categories, they work for me

don't forget to use emoji in your category names!

i have about a billion hidden categories too

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

nwin posted:

Dog walkers cost $550/month? Holy poo poo.

yep give or take, Boston prices

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i find the newer implementation of nynab's goals don't function as described, especially with repeating goals - but this usually becomes clear when you are doing budgeting or reconciliation. i also file bugs with support and they have been really good

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

I kept waiting for this day to come and it finally happened, I am losing my grandfathered price for YNAB and it is more than doubling to 14.99/mnth.

Any good alternatives out there?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Forceholy posted:

Buckets or YNAB4?

yeah i am making a list and this is what i have so far:
https://www.lotusbudget.com/
https://aspirebudget.com/
https://www.budgetwithbuckets.com/en/index.html
https://www.tillerhq.com/
https://goodbudget.com/
Obviously Excel lol

unfortunately YNAB4 is 32 bit so it refuses to run on my mac

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

They should have budgeted better so they didn't have to raise the price

Software $4
Website $1
Broken Sync Service $2
Marketing $1000
"Classes" (Also Marketing) $5000

please help me i have to double my price my company is dying

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

There's s fix for this out there. Search YNAB4 64 bit or something. I think a goon shared the link before

just found it - https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64

works like a charm!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm not going to do anything dramatic since I don't renew till may. Hoping they just walk it back if not plenty of time to review alternatives and discuss.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Sockser posted:

Just went and peeped my account page

Going to assume they're not going to honor that

lmao
they bungled this up pretty good

mine looks like that too, i am assuming it will update on december 1

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i use fun money as a flex pool to adjust my budget month to month while also keeping tabs on overall spending

i am on the more conservative side because i keep six months of efund plus three months running budget

agreed though that it's more for awareness and my wife and i are at the point where the bucket amounts aren't hard limits - it's more for awareness and we generally try to flex if we go too hard in one area or another

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

DominoKitten posted:

A. It's actually not working for me as well as it should these days? I'm always trying to chase down stray credit card stuff, some of which might be their fault and some of which might be the syncing service's fault and some which might be mine. I wouldn't mind so much except the interface makes it difficult to reconcile according to my statement end dates. If I could do that, I could reconcile in a reliable way month by statement month, and not just on the exact day my statement ends, like I did in YNAB4. I don't want to just say "whoopsie here's the actual balance" and just deal with an adjustment instead of having the correct information. Additionally, I have two credit cards with the same company and their payments always end up on just one of the credit cards. I contact support about this, they said to rejigger the connections, I did, and it still does it. And sometimes even though I'd swear up and down every purchase on a credit card is accounted for and categorized correctly, the amount set aside for paying the bill doesn't match up. (I know that I'm supposed to set up credit card accounts as bank accounts to avoid this. But ugh.)

yeah the sync is to the point now where every ynab sesh involves me reconnecting 3-5 accounts, some of which get broken to the point that they don't work for months, also some of the transactions go to the wrong account or are duplicated - sync has never worked more than 80% of the time for me, i also just reconcile weekly against the online accounts because it's less work to do overall

also, i went back to look at my ynab account and i'm kind of surprised how many of my favorite ynab features are actually from the community made toolkit for ynab

it's not a pretty picture

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

nwin posted:

I look forward to the AMA on Reddit tomorrow. Lmao

so far it is uh... not going well

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just got a price change email. Pretty sure it’s just a copy/paste from the lovely app message :lol:

the funny part is the CEO just said in the AMA that "Brass tacks: We had originally planned to send the in-app message and then follow-up with the email the next day. When we realized the in-app message wasn't landing the way we hoped (that's our mistake), we pulled back to do better with the email. That obviously created silence, and I regret that."

so you are looking at five days of "do better" in that e-mail

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Sirotan posted:

This guy is very bad at this.

Edit: he's deleting his comments now lmao

he is getting downvoted so hard some of his comments are being auto removed and his ability to reply is getting limited

i still can't believe how bad they are at messaging, it would be entertaining if i didn't love the drat tool (even if it fundamentally hasn't changed much from YNAB 4)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i think for me the worst revelation of the whole AMA hasn't been that i am losing my $45/yr legacy price... it's this statement in response to "how long until you will raise prices again?" "I can't say exactly how long it will be. I *can* say that the four years between 2017 and 2021 were too long, and that's part of what led to this being sudden."

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

you can see the rest of the answers that got zapped by the automod here: https://www.reddit.com/user/YNAB_youneedabudget

all you have to do is take a look at their careers page and it's so obvious that all of the money is going into huge amounts of marketing and classes

it kind of makes sense because the founder really loves crossfit, i think he's just trying to re-create the model for finances

i hope they add tiered pricing but they never will lmao

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I didn't even get an email -- checked my subscription and they just upped the price behind my back. Good job y'all.

don't worry - it was a top priority for the technical team!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

DrNewton posted:

Oh boy, the YNAB reddit is some how getting wrose than last week.

Someome legit told me "yeah YNAB was never meant for you, it was built for middle class Americans." when I talked about the price increase is a lot more in Canada.

Then someone in India wrote a piece about how much of difference is and what one can do with that money in India. People are writing "Well if you don't want to pay American prices for an AMERICAN product, go find a Indian product." and other horrible xenophobia comments.

yeah i think people from the ynab official forums are bandwagoning over, the whole thing is stupid and reddit is stupid

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

be sure to get in on the class action settlement against plaid to get some of that money back!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

thegreatcodfish posted:

Got any info on this? Plaid has been driving me insane the last 6 months…

https://www.plaidsettlement.com/

you also might get something in the mail about it, i did

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

One thing that's starting to piss me off with YNAB is their privacy policy widget can't be acknowledged or otherwise hidden, and it covers up the last couple categories. I have to make dummy categories now just to deal with it.

Been doing this for at least a month now. You'd think they'd notice if they were users of their own software?

seems like a browser issue, i don't have that experience in chrome or firefox

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Not emergency, just the expected amount of money to be used over the next three months.

I guess in that case it brings into question whether budgeting three months out is particularly worthwhile if it’s based on what you have in your checking account. It’s good peace of mind, but possibly not smart investment.

Edit: Let me ask another question - does anyone have their HYSA hooked up to YNAB?

i have all my accounts hooked up to ynab, including savings

also i keep my next 3mos spending in an HYSA and xfer in what I need for a month (if necessary) at the start of a month, if your HYSA is at the same bank as your checking account it's instant which is how mine is set up

i think it's worthwhile to do the 3mos out budget because it basically frees you from being paycheck to paycheck in a way that is more grounded then just having generic savings

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

rollick posted:

I used YNAB4 for a couple years around 2013-2015 before falling off the wagon. Then they went to the web only subscription model and I figured I wasn't interested. I tried out some alternatives and they never fit.

But I've been using the trial version again for the last week and it's honestly still the smoothest and most convenient tool for my needs. So I think I'm just gonna pay for it going forward, and not get hung up on whatever my earlier objections were.

this is where i landed even if i am still irritated that the competition can't get their act together, especially once you add in all of the features from the toolkit for ynab team

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

it's amazing how much better toolkit makes ynab and also lol every time there is an error/forced refresh in nynab they always make a point of blaming toolkit

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Omne posted:

Do I *need* to track every single dollar in YNAB to keep my financial health? No.

Do I get immense pleasure from continuing to do so? Absofuckinglutely.

ya same, it's my little weekend ritual with a cup of coffee :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Mustang posted:

Just started using YNAB but it does something that I find incredibly annoying. I pay for a Washington post subscription once a year in June. But YNAB wants to allocate 33% of it this month and presumably in May and June as well. How do I stop it from doing this?

I just want the single lump sum to show up in June and not any other time. I can't just pay off a third of my subscription at a time.

There is an easy way to do this - if you only want to be reminded to allocate the money that specific future month, set it as an upcoming transaction for the date you'll pay it. Once you reach that month from a bugeting perspective YNAB will prompt you to budget for your upcoming transaction. You can set the upcoming transaction to reoccur too - this is how I handle extremely infrequent small expenses (e.g. the domain renewal I have coming up in 5 years)

It won't help you build up savings towards that target - for that you would need to set a goal and it'll do that thing you find annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

For me, I do both - I have goals for expenses I need to save for and also all my known future expenses in as upcoming future transactions, it does a good job of not duplicating across the two.