Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

The Dave posted:

I feel like the whole week was pretty god drat awesome.

It really was. Monday's show was forgettable but since then they had Louis Ck + Penn Jillette, Florentine, Quinn, and then Joe Rogan + Gervais. Aside from Macklemore talk it was been pretty great.

And then next week I think is the super show 2.0. It sucks that Colin won't be there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Or Jimmy, I think. They should reschedule.

Oh gently caress. Yeah if Jimmy and Colin ain't there then there's no point in even doing it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

cochise posted:

That Super Show part 2 is a loving train wreck. Wow

These are becoming my favorite bit on the O&A show. But Colin & Jim have to be there for SSIII.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

An Enormous Boner posted:

I would be happy if they never took another caller on OnA again.

It's been very bad this week. They have been trying to piss the shows away through hours and hours of callers.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Love ya miss ya.

All the other poo poo is annoying but this one is funny to me, usually. He even throws it at people he just met.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I do think Opie has been better this year, but he's not going to let that 'just a taste' catchphrase die.

I'd like to know what Patton Oswalt suggested the boys do if they don't resign with Sirius (they will). It sounds like they all want to do it for a few more years after the contract is up in October.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ant was making noises throughout the whole thing like he thought it was all douchey bullshit.

Yep. I skipped it after listening to it for a little and the first thing Opie joked about when they came back from break was "that went well." Ant & Opie thought the segment sucked but it wasn't Jimmy's fault the guy he brought in wasn't good on radio.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Dave posted:

Just remember with all that Bobo poo poo like 90% of it is set up by the boys themselves. Like they absolutely had him in front of the studio and they are always calling him to get him on the air.

So was 90% of the Lady Di poo poo this week which was kind of a bummer, Sam forced it way too drat much. She would have been a trainwreck all on her own without Sam telling her to interrupt every 5 seconds with something he told her to say. However that just made me appreciate Marion more because she was 100% herself on the phone.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Stokes posted:

"I think the Big Bang Theory is idiocy." - Jim Norton

:ughh:

Yeah that's the one thing about Jim that I don't like where he'll take a ridiculous stance and be so adamant about it. Ant and Op didn't even bother touching that one. Thankfully it only happens a few times a year. When it does happen it always feel weird to me cause he's great & reasonable the rest of time.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That sucks a lot. Pretty soon all the good comics will be gone and we'll only have Joe DeRosa on every 6 months.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I really don't see the 'treat this like the next Patrice' thing the Otto guy is having on everyone. I have never heard of this guy, on the show or the internet. Never mentioned when they bring up comics or friends and I must have been extremely unlucky to miss every show he was on. He just never gets brought up when they talk about others like Bobby, Vos, colin, and even with much smaller name comics.

Apparently everyone and their mother knew who this guy was and are lapping up the tributes asap. They loving hate hack ventriloquists (except when backpedaling when Dunham is in studio) I know he gave Jim help but I really ain't feeling it. Hopefully the pity party doesn't last a long time.

You do realize the regulars work with tons of comedians that hardly ever do the show, right? Jim and Bob are always talking about Keith Robinson but he only does O&A like once every two years.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not but if you aren't then you should get into Otto if you like Patrice, since they both approached comedy the same way.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Kevyn posted:

What's that story Jimmy always tells about the hardest he's ever laughed, at some off the cuff comment Otto made on stage at a really lovely club?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

CrashCat posted:

Hmm, it's after 5 PM Eastern. Weren't they supposed to be out of there within an hour or it would be a big problem?

Well it started late due to all the commercials, but even now it's over 1 hour easily. I hope they do go for 2 hours because this Unmasked has been great and it's dumb they aren't allowed to go as long as they want.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MullardEL34 posted:

I missed most of the Unmasked. Did Mr. Kurlan behave himself? If he slept through most of it, that probably answers most of my question.

They addressed Bobo being in the audience for all of 2 seconds and then they didn't talk about him again & he never spoke during the show.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I had no idea Marion was such a tough guy

Saint Jimmy posted:

Does Dennis know what a hack he is? Is this part of his persona? I just hate him.

Nothing about Dennis Falcone is a bit. The funniest thing to me about Denny is he always throws in a slam about Erock.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1980?!?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

now everything about Lady Di makes sense. everything. :stare:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

We've been on such a sympathetic roller coaster with Lady Di from laughing at her clumsiness on Super Shows to feeling bad about her alcohol withdrawals during intern week to the unbelievable story of her getting mugged a few days later and now being disgusted at her stealing money from Bill to fuel her crack habit. What a wreck of a woman.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Has he talked about why he decided to grow it out? And why he thinks this is a good look for him?

It's for an upcoming project and he knows it stinks.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'm calling to put an end to the rumor that I did crack 3 years ago

actually it was 2 years ago

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

shyduck posted:

The Louie segment felt off, as in it was less hangout and more interview. It also seems like they don't know how to talk to him anymore.

It's been like that for a while. Louis really is a big celebrity these days so all they can do is say "wow, you were hosting SNL again and the cover of GQ and you have two TV shows and you're appearing in Oscar nominated films and..."

Most of the regular comics they have maybe have ONE of those things in a year, if that. It's a little intimidating.

That being said I enjoyed today's show and all the last few Louis appearances.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Dave posted:

One a year? Their super regular guys would be lucky to get one of those a decade.

For sure, I just meant that usually the regulars have some small success that they come in and talk about every now and then, like Burr doing a movie with Pacino and last week's Florentine appearance where he says he got a part on Californication. Those are decent breaks for the regulars, meanwhile Louis comes in once every couple of months and he's had several major successes.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Cromulent posted:

And his show is definitely not as brilliant as people make it out to be. A lot of episodes are really funny, some are great while not being funny, but a lot of them are just not good at all. Which is fine, it's not like a TV show has to be amazing every single episode.

I agree completely. The funny thing is when I look at this thread, most of the O&A listeners feel the same way about Louie being good but overrated, but if you try to bring this up in the TVIV thread you'll get flamed forever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Morter posted:

The few times she called him "Jimmy" made me go deep into :tinfoil: territory and made me think that this was them setting her up, letting her know she was going to fight with a fake Louis CK, but she would get bothered enough to tear down the fourth wall and yell at the actor she knew was playing Fake Louis.

It hadn't occurred to me too much until someone said that 90% of the "retard" bits are set up in advance, but now I'm a lot more sensitive to the little signs. I mean, I know that a lot of times they're fed lines in studio, but I get bummed out when Opie does a five minute set up to begrudgingly take Lady Di/Bobo and ask with frustration "Why are you CAWLING us?!" only for them to go "You guys called me". It's never acknowledged and there's usually the tiniest bit of silence before they go onto beating them up, verbally.

I can only hope she IS that stupid, and we're not all rubes. :smith:

I was one of the guys who posted that they set up a lot of the Lady Di segments and today had a good reveal. When Guy Fierre was in studio Opie did his usual "Hi who's this?" and Lady Di immediately says "Sam told me to call into the show, he told me I was going to speak to Guy Fiere? Who's that?" Then she confuses him for being a pop star, but that's because Sam told her to call to talk to a famous singer they're going to have in studio.

Lady Di isn't playing a character, she really is that dumb and lives a hosed up life, but Sam and Opie push her into making an rear end of herself. Sam absolutely feeds her tons of stuff to say or do and Lady Di does it because she knows O&A and the listeners will enjoy it. However Lady Di is too stupid to go along with the bit so she messes it up all the time. My point is if they just let Lady Di do her own thing she would be just as funny without forcing it so much.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dazh posted:

Don't you think that at this point they do it to get her to mess the bit up entirely on purpose?
Nope, because whenever she does mess it up they don't laugh at it so they just go back to asking how many Natty Ice's has she had/calling her a pig/whatever. There are times when Sam feeds her a line in studio and she fucks it up, that's funny and they like when that happens, but they don't want the audience to be aware of everything Sam does behind the scenes because it does ruin the bit.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Billy the Mountain posted:

Holy poo poo the Voss segment was incredible. Jimmy, Ant, and Rich slamming each other was so fast. They are really amazingly fast with the put downs .
That was one of the most brutal trashings they've done on the show. I think my favorite was when Vos said Bonnie's name instead of Bobby's and the exchange went something like:

Vos: Who gives a poo poo they both have tits!
Keith: No they don't.

A double slam on two people who weren't even there! That's how vicious that room was this morning.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Denny is only funny because of O&A, when Sal brought in clips earlier this week of Dennis the 70s Menace it was the worst thing ever on broadcast. When Denny's on O&A he's a cornball, but when he's on his own he's a bore as well as corny.

The Super Show today was good but it was the weakest of the 3. They should rest it for a long while (and Di and Bobo with it), but on the other hand if they opened up with a surprise Super Show IV on their first day back from break it would be the funniest thing. Jim would leave the show.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 17, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think they would be happy to resign if they could finally get a better studio. It must be embarrassing bringing A-list guests into a studio that's not much bigger than a broom closet.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

eddie o'loughlin

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

cochise posted:

I think they just keep that fat turd around because of his connections to publicists. He knows a lot of people and can book big stars for the media destination tour so the guys have to be nice to him for fear of losing those connections.

Or they are being held hostage because he has dirt on them.

I'm not even sure how true that is because they always complain about the guests they don't get and go on about all the lame guys they turn down. I think they keep Roland around because they like him (he does do some pretty funny things off air) and try to put the pressure of getting better guests on the company rather than on Roland.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

spudsbuckley posted:

The song lyrics bit today was pure gold.

Who knew AC DC were so racist?

It happened earlier in the show but it is related: Jimmy pretending to be Jimmy Page when listening to Stairway to Heaven was hilarious today.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Dave posted:

Are you trying to imply that rehashing the apology issue every episode now isn't a brilliant bit?

to be honest when they opened it with a piece of production this morning I laughed and was up for it. I don't have an issue when it's the big apologies, like they're going to talk about Donald Sterling or Jonah Hill scandals anyway so they might as well tie it to an on-going bit. If they did that they would only do 1 apology every few weeks since that's how often the big ones break. However, Opie is having Sam grab any apology from anybody in the world every single day and that's making it dumb and tiring.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I agree, and I don't think he's going to get fired. Plus he already received his punishment and then some by getting humbled in front of a crowd of people. It's just a funny story in that "about time" sort of way

Yeah I doubt anything is going to happen because O&A simply aren't big enough. In a weird way that'll frustrate Opie because he knows if they were big stars they would absolutely be in deep poo poo over this. instead it's just proof that nobody cares anymore. The new studio will be done on January 1st 2015!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Law Cheetah posted:

I remember that interview more as Anthony relishing in an opportunity to become Professor Ant. He's a horrible racist, but come on, he doesn't get angry and huffy every time there's a black guy in the room.

Yeah. He likes Whoo Kid and that T.I. interview where the two were joking around was like a month ago. Ant isn't incapable of getting along with black people, his head is just full of racist poo poo and it pours out when he gets angry or drunk. So basically all the time.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Should've just left her on her one way ride, Ant

this is good.

[fake edit]

TwistedNails posted:

Does anybody else remember Anthony having a great time with T. I. and DJ Whookid recently?
Apparently I do and I was 5 minutes too late posting about it!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Call Me Charlie posted:

128 new posts? Guess it's goodbye Ant.
Just woke up and had the same thought. Wow, didn't expect them to actually do that. Oh well, at least I have years and years of backlog shows.

Opie & Ron show would be great since Ron is maybe the only guy who is funnier than Anthony Cumia, Opie & Anybody Else would be awful.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

"We're building toward something!"

I hope we still get that 20th year O&A big event that Tim Sabean told the boys about.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

spudsbuckley posted:

I notice Sam, Jim and Op have been pretty much completely silent about this on Twitter.

CQ has mentioned it and that's about it.

Well Opie's debating what he's going to do since he does have options & the money to walk away completely if he wants, Jim & Sam & the rest of the staff have no loving idea what's going to happen & don't want to get caught up in the shitstorm.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

How Much Art posted:

the chickens have come home to roost.
whatever the gently caress that means

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TwistedNails posted:

jesus christ this is perfect

yeah it gets funnier the longer you leave it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jim just posted about it. So I guess Opie isn't even sure what happens next if Jim has no idea at the moment.

• Locked thread