Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

evobatman posted:

I didn't know that she speaks with a British accent in real life!

She actually shifts her accent depending on where she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurtofan posted:

A new season of X-files?

Fox, Carter, Duchovny and Anderson are discussing bringing the show back for a limited "event" run, not unlike 24: Live Another Day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

My question is: should a new season of the show try to "fix" the mythology arc and give it a better resolution, addressing the common complaint that the myth arc is unsatisfying because it doesn't really go anywhere?

The myth arc is fine until all the Super Soldier bullshit starts and then it's just mind-boggling and inane.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I know is that the show never had nearly enough John Neville.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jack Gladney posted:

Everybody probably wants to see the smoking man and John Neville and stuff again, and probably forgot that those characters were killed seasons before the end of the show.

And John Neville is dead. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Big time - it was like something entirely brand new and nothing was really as good as the previous seasons.

I believe they got a new cinematographer when they moved to Los Angeles and he just lit everything completely differently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

Now that they're doing something new with the property, they have no excuse not to make the HD remaster of the show available in some way, right?

If it's ever going to happen, it will probably be on Hulu. Fox's TV-on-disc sales are just loving awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Smoking Man should be a head in a jar or something equally ridiculous.

Didn't Smoking Man get, like, literally blown up by helicopter rockets?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

When it comes to the mythology poo poo they always reused old characters.

For example, Smoking Man got shot by a sniper then magically got better, thrown down a staircase with his wheelchair and left for dead and magically got better, then got literally blown up by helicopter rockets and apparently magically got better since he's coming back for this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series?

The minute they start babbling about super soldiers, stop watching.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

piratepilates posted:

So did the Navajo code talkers all just live their lives knowing about these alien human hybrids that were happening? Skinner says he had the documents recited to quite a few people and I have to imagine that at least a few of them would do a double take at the random alien conspiracy poo poo that they were just told.

I always figured Skinner was bluffing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

You may want to watch that rewatch event promo video until the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIRNja8pMc

Those are definitely the HD remasters in that clip.

Give them to us, drat it. :sigh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

Wait, which Clancy book was that? The only far-right militia guys I remember in a Clancy book were Dumb and Dumber trying to blow up Washington with a concrete mixer full of fertilizer in Executive Orders (which also had Iran launch a bio-attack on the U.S. as prelude to attempting to take over the entire Saudi Penninsula). And Sum of All Fears had a pair of Muslim terrorists nuke Denver

I think he's thinking of the Sum of All Fears movie, which changed the bad guys from Muslim extremists to neo-Nazis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I usually treat One Son as my series finale when I watch through the X-Files. After that the mythology is just terrible.

The Season 5 finale is usually what works for me. When the Smoking Man torches Mulder's office it feels like a death in the family, although I know it was done to facilitate the move to LA.

One Son works too, though, although there's still a decent load of poo poo to get through.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ginette Reno posted:

I also quite like the first X-Files movie, though I guess not everybody does.

It has its moments. The best part is the scene with John Neville and Mulder in the limo; both of them absolutely kill it there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just wish John Neville was still with us. We never got enough of the Well-Manicured Man. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ICHIBAHN posted:

So I just finished the mythology episodes... What a lot of poo poo the super soldiers storyline was eh?

That's why I always tell people to watch all of the first five seasons, start skipping episodes in the sixth when they start feeling boring or pointless, and the minute characters start babbling about super soldiers, just walk away and pretend the series was abruptly canceled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

The X-Files only got greenlit in the first place because Fox was an extremely desperate TV network in 1993.

This gets overlooked a lot. I know nowadays everyone is used to ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and even the CW just being mainstays, but until Fox launched in 1985 or '86, it was literally a three-network show between ABC, CBS and NBC. And it took a long time for Fox to get any programming that wasn't just off the scrap heap. poo poo, it wasn't until Fox was able to steal NFL games away from CBS (in the process getting Madden and Summerall) that prospective affiliates in major markets even began to get interested in carrying the network's programming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I want to watch it legally without having to go to my parents' house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GutBomb posted:

Oh cool, a burst of posts in here. Did they announce a new seas...

Oh.

:yikes:

Actually, Fox said at the TCA today that they hope to announce something soon, and later clarified that the intention is to do a longer run than six episodes but less than a full 22-episode season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just get all the Fringe writers who aren't named Orci or Kurtsman to write for the new season. Open this poo poo up to new blood because the old alien hybrid super soldier blood ain't working.

Whenever I do a series rewatch, the moment someone starts yammering about super soldiers is when I'm done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ignis posted:

Wouldn't BCS be done with production for the current season by the time TXFs shooting begins in summer? Surely he can spare a draft during the lull between seasons

Depends on how long this upcoming writers' strike lasts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Any news about Robert Patrick, or is he done with the X-Files altogether?

He wasn't available to do the last season because of his commitments to Scorpion. Depending on when they shoot this one, he might be busy again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know what the worst season of a once-great show was: X-Files 10 or Dexter 8. Any other contenders?

Scrubs seasons 6, 7 and 9, Seinfeld season 8, and you can throw a dart randomly and find a new low for The Simpsons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Octy posted:

You're kidding me? Season 8 of Seinfeld was great. Now season 9 is a different story...

Sorry, I got my years mixed up, for some reason I thought that was the last one (probably because I mentally ignore most of that first year).

OldSenileGuy posted:

Seinfeld never had a bad season. :colbert:

Okay, maybe season 9 isn't terrible, but they tried some gimmick episodes like The Betrayal--largely because Seinfeld himself was bored as poo poo with the show and simply doing it for the paycheck--and they just fell flat on their face, which never really happened before with Seinfeld.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acer Pilot posted:

I recently read that Gillian wanted out after this season, do you folks think they'll kill Scully off and leave us with Einstein (terrible name)?

I don't think they'd kill Scully straight-up, but I'm fully expecting Carter to end it with hooks for continuation with other characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just read a quick review.

Did Carter really go batshit with William and retcon him so that Smokey is his father?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Yep, that happened. Which means that Scully got alien science date raped by CSM, is banging his son AND gave birth to his (Mulder's) half-alien half-brother. :banjo:

I can only assume this is some kind of Dadaist performance art now.

I think I understand why Gillian Anderson basically went:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Why can’t they just wrap this plot up already gently caress sake. It’s been going on for like...20 + Years. End game hosed. END GAME.

Chris Carter can't stop himself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maelstache posted:

He has just loving checked out of this now, hasn't he? Does not give a poo poo.

He looks like his diet consists of Marlboros and cheap beer at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".=

Hell, that's where Well-Manicured Man got his name from.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

business hammocks posted:

I wonder if that one guy was named First Elder because they couldn’t find a distinctive trait of his that they could name in a flattering or neutral way (old but not the oldest man, neck-waddle man, fat man, cheap haircut man, wheezy-voiced man).

Don S. Williams?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Oh, word? I thought it was another short one. Ten episodes is a good number, esp if this is likely the last.

Yeah, a longer run was one of Carter's conditions to agree to put another season together. He had originally hoped for 13, but Anderson and Duchovny balked at that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

That first movie's real good.

In comparison to the piece of poo poo that was I Want to Believe, sure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

But they killed Well-Manicured Man off. :mad:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is the movie available on demand anywhere? I’ve been watching the series on Prime video.

You can rent it from iTunes and Amazon and all that, but I haven't seen it streaming anywhere for probably a year, maybe more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So, if we’re being real, tonight is the series finale isn’t it?

Most likely. Anderson says she's done, Carter says he won't do the show without her, the ratings have been in the loving tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robert Patrick has also gotten super bloated over the last decade or so.

• Locked thread