Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I'm watching X-Files for the first time and just hit episode 21, Tooms, which is the first episode where they revisit a previous monster of the week. In later seasons, do they almost always do a new mystery every week with follow-ups like that being few and far between? Do later seasons have more metaplot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I've just been watching this for the first time, I'm almost done with the first season.
I have to say I'm already tired of other mysterious government agents coming in and destroying evidence or whatever and I doubt that aspect'll get much better, but on the plus side, Beyond the Sea was really really good.
Agreed, Beyond the Sea stands head and shoulders above the rest of Season 1. Fittingly, I watched it for the first time on Christmas day. The only other episode to really jump out at me from the first season was Tooms.

I am now into the third season and that does not get any better. Mulder is Charlie Brown and the government is Lucy, forever taking away the football.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Is that before or after the episode where Mulder finds out what really really really happened to his sister and there's another Moby scene?
After.

ElectricWizard posted:

Anyways, I'm hoping there are at least a couple of more bright spots on the line of X-Cops before the end of the series.
The very next episode, Hollywood AD, was written and directed by David Duchovny. It isn't as good as X-Cops but it's up there.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I dont know how im going to do it but just finished the insect episode of S9 and this is a loving slog, loving TERRIBLE!
I just finished season 9. There's only one good episode left in the run for you and that episode is Sunshine Days.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

No, the worst episode is the one with the Indian mystic who crawls up people's asses and rides around in them.

First Person Shooter is pretty bad though. It's amazing how bad it is when it was written by a person who also produced a) a really good season 4 episode and b) a pile of acclaimed sci-fi novels.
I disagree. Badlaa was a mess of an episode (e.g. they kept piling on more and more powers to the butt genie) but far from the worst episode. It had some decent special effects and the butt genie himself was a legitimately creepy and unsettling monster. That's far more than you can say for a lot of episodes.

First Person Shooter was bad but it was "holy poo poo look at this mess" bad. I'd take it over "all things" any day.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

Bad Blood is my fav episode because of bitchy Scully from Mulder's retelling of events. Recommend other episodes to fuel my Agent Scully ball-torture fetish? The scene with Spender from Triangle was also pretty choice.

War of the Coprophages, aka the episode where Scully was right.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Jose posted:

I realise that 4 seasons in and it hasn't happened yet so won't, but Scully finally admitting Mulder is probably right would be nice considering he almost always is
Scully takes a sharp turn towards believer starting in season 5 and it becomes more dramatic as the show continues.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Just finished season 5. Is the movie required viewing? I started season 6 but it was quickly apparent that it was starting up where the movie had left off. It's a shame the movie isn't on netflix when the rest of the series is.

IIRC they never reference it again after the first episode of season 6.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course, I may be underestimating how popular The X-Files was when it was on - I'm too young to have followed it when it was new.

In season 5, X- files averaged 20 million viewers per episode. Those are Big Bang Theory/NCIS numbers.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

corn in the fridge posted:

So I've gotten to season 8 and the point where I stopped watching during the original broadcast. I know there's a lot of derision for the last two seasons bit I quite liked episode 3 and the whole dynamic where scully tries to take over mulders role and finds herself a bit overwhelmed with it all. But I suppose there's plenty of time for the show to get worse???
The high points of seasons 8 & 9 don't compare to earlier seasons and there are a lot more low points but it's not unwatchable garbage. If I can fault the writers for anything it's that they try to push the limits of the X-Files format in ways that often don't work out, although I liked some of the experimental episodes like Redrum and John Doe.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

It took me until Guy Mann's monologue to realize that actor was the werewolf pack leader in What We Do In The Shadows. "We're werewolves, not swearwolves!" etc

Brilliant episode. They finally made a more sexual scene with Scully than the Scully tattoo scene.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

There are so many work-related gifs I want from that episode. I hope some start turning up soon.

via tumblr, so the quality blows.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

This was an OK monster of the week episode with some great directing and photography, but honestly I'm mostly disappointed because this episode wasn't a sequel to Home.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

HIJK posted:

Hooooly poo poo I just finished X-Cops and holy poo poo holy poo poo what a great episode. That humor is loving pitch black, the interaction with COPS camera crew is amazing (Scully telling them not to follow but then the next segment stops with Mulder getting into the format 100 loving percent while Scully glares from the passenger seat yes, this is everything I ever wanted)! that poor sex worker! the rookie deputy! I love the deputy in charge, she was so loving great! STEVE AND EDI. You can see everyone just trying not to lose it laughing while they're filming. Mulder and the rookie cop having that heart to heart, that was such a great conversation. the camera crew at the end!!!! "AND YOU'RE ON NATIONAL TELEVISION SO COWBOY UP!"

Do not skip it on your X-Files watch, what a great episode.
Brace yourself, the next episode is First Person Shooter which is a strong candidate for worst episode of the entire series.

Season 7 has some real poo poo episodes but there's still an X-Cops for every First Person Shooter.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

Yes, and they blew up a different character played by him in the first X-Files movie so we're out of luck there.
That's no obstacle. Nicholas Lea played a MOTW in season 1 before he was cast as Krychek.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

The ending doesn't really add up, though. How come the magic reset wave brings people back to life, un-destroys a gas station, un-fires scully, and wipes everyone's memories, but it doesn't un-buy mulder's waterbed? Complete Hogswallop. No realism at all.
Mulder got his water bed in the Dreamland 2-parter.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Uh... yes, I know. I am talking about the Dreamland 2-parter. What episode did you think I was talking about?
I caught :downs:. For some reason I thought you were talking about Monday and it's reset button.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

remusclaw posted:

They wrote themselves into a hell of a pickle in that last episode. 6 episodes of fallout from that sounds dire, and leaves little room for the bread and butter of what actually made the show good in it's prime. Season 10 was already three seasons too far and some would say four, so I don't know. Hopefully the inevitable reboot is good?
Season 7 of the X-Files has some of the lowest lows of the whole run but also has X-Cops, the Goldberg Variation, and the Great Maleeni.

I recently went to a friend's house and their X-Files DVD box sets caught my eye. Their collection stops at season 7.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I just saw Post-Modern Promoetheus for the first time.

:vince:
It's a really good episode but kind of unsettling that we're supposed to have sympathy for a man who impregnated most of the women in a town with animal-human hybrids without their consent in order to create a mate for his son.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Rise from your grave! Season 11 of The X-Files will have 10 episodes, of which only two will be mythology episodes, and will have two women in the writer's room.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Trailer for new season from NY Comicon. Lots of glimpses of metaplot episodes.

https://youtu.be/IRdrt8nPyy8

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am doing a full rewatch on my daily commute, meaning I get through two episodes a day. However I haven’t seen all of them in the first place and what I did see was years ago so I don’t properly remember them all. I got halfway through In The Field Where I Died on my way home from work and I don’t know if I was too tired or the multiple personality schtick wasn’t working for me but I ended up turning it off. I saw in the Prime trivia notes it is one of Anderson’s favourite episodes. Is it worth persevering with? I got to the civil war speech and turned off.
No. Gillian Anderson loves slow, meandering episodes. The one episode they let her direct is a total slog.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Holy poo poo, that was unbelievably bad.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Am I the only person who sees a permanently unread post in this thread in their bookmarks and no other thread? :tinfoil:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Sepinwall interviewed Darin Morgan about tonight's episode

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m rewatching the whole series and finished season 5, when I watched the start of season 6 the recap first showed me stuff from the end of season 5 but then showed me a load of stuff that didn’t happen in the season 5 finale: what am I missing?
The first movie takes place between seasons 5 and 6.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Shout out to UnknownMercenary for making a sacrifice to the Thing That Lives At The End Of The Thread.

Sepinwall provides some interesting context

quote:

Cloke and Hamblin are both new to writing for the series (Cloke, who’s married to Glen Morgan, guest starred in season 4’s “The Field Where I Died,” while Hamblin has worked in the past as Morgan’s assistant), and part of a very small group of women to ever write for the show.
I really liked this episode, although the moth flying into the bugzapper may have been a bit on the nose.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

You could have dropped this episode into any show with a MOTW format, so I guessed it was a spec script that was reborn as an X-Files episode. The writer gave an interview about it

quote:

There is a lot going on in this episode: witches, a pedophile, hellhounds, terrifying kids characters... where did the idea for all of this come from?

Benjamin Van Allen: I've always been creeped out by children's television show characters, like Teletubbies. There is another show I saw that kind of inspired the Bibble-Tiggles, as we call them in the show, called Boohbahs. A lot of kid's shows like that, when you watch them, you're like, "Holy s***. How am I letting my kid watch this? It's so weird." Kid's TV shows have always really creeped me out. I really just wanted to make a classic X-Files episode. It's a monster-of-the-week episode, but not all MOTW episodes actually have a monster. I really wanted to have some recognizable monster for the episode. That's where the Mr. Chuckleteeth guy came in. Like the classic X-Files feel, I definitely wanted to set it in a small town. I wanted to start the episode in the town with Mulder and Scully, and end the episode in the town with Mulder and Scully. As much as I love all the X-Files lore, I didn't want to see the X-Files office, I didn't want to put Skinner in this episode. I just wanted it to be a very classic, standalone monster-of-the-week episode.
Surprisingly he did write it just for the X-Files.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.
This is the most retarded misreading of an episode I've read in a long time. The writer wasn't criticizing #MeToo at all, he was showing one way witch hunts happen: Something bad happens and it's pinned on a random dude people already don't like.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Do I need to watch last week’s episode before tonight’s?
No. Last week was a pure MOTW episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

So Scully was drugged and almost raped by a weird guy in a cult, and after Mulder saves her, he describes the incident where she lay limply on the bed while this guy was ready to violate her as her being "ready to do the wild thing with this guy," even though it was anything but consensual. Later she for some reason can't find it in her to shoot the same guy when his pseudo-Amish group try and stop her from taking a killer into custody who belonged to their group even though she's an FBI agent and doctor?

Man this show had a rough start.
Then there was the ghost rape episode in season two.

• Locked thread