Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arise thread on great news!

We no longer have to believe, X-Files in HD exists and has started airing in syndication on a German channel and looks AMAZING.

http://forum.cinefacts.de/208508-akte-x-die-serie-bald-auf-blu-ray-10.html#post7966465

Looks like they took the Sienfield approach and opened up the frame on the sides and did minor cropping to the top and bottom. I guess most of the footage was protected for 16:9 from the beginning, so they decided to go this way.

I'm anxiously awaiting a Blu-ray set announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's mainly costly because these 90s TV shows had video workflows. That means there doesn't exist a fully edited version of an episode on film. Everything was done on NTSC video. When they do these conversions, they go back and scan the original film elements and then re-edit the episode with a digital HD workflow.

Fox is cutting costs by not doing anything for special effects shots except upscaling. For Star trek TNG, CBS basically redid the special effects using the original film elements and and using modern digital techniques to composite the shots. However, effects shots were used sparingly throughout the X-Files so it shouldn't be too bad.

Yes, they are grainy, but that's because of the film stock used. Grainy isn't necessarily bad though. Detail is still dramatically higher and the color is light years better as is contrast. This is very important on a dark show like this as shadow detail is so important.

After being blown away by the Star Trek TNG remasters, I cannot wait to watch the X-Files in HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

:eyepop:

DVD to broadcast comparison (and this is with the broadcast downscaled to match the DVD resolution.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612

X-Files was produced in widescreen after Season 4, so I would suspect they would use the same opening credits that were on the widescreen seasons.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 22, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A bunch more comparisons. The last two are incredible.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58788
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58787
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58786
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58785
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58782

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Kingdom posted:

Must..resist...buying on Blu-Ray...

It's not even a question for me. As soon as the box set comes out, I will be mashing BUY BUY BUY on Amazon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the greatest contribution X-Files had on genre TV is the "cold open death."

1) Redshirts show up on screen
2) Something creepy is lurking in the shadows
3) Redshirts die in a violent and gruesome way

*credits*

Open scene is our main characters arriving at the investigation.

Supernatural has aped this down to a science Fringe did it frequently as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why oh why won't fox release a blu-ray box set? The HD remastering work is done. Slap them on a disc and push them out the door. Don't wait on some sort of brand synergy with a possible reboot/sequel.

I really want to listen to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast and I want to couple it with a rewatch of the series. I really don't want to rewatch it again though until I can do so in HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Slate Action posted:

Haha, this is precisely where I'm at. I don't think we know for sure that they've finished the remastering of the entire series, do we? It must be a ton of work to remaster 200+ episodes.

They finished up this summer. It's done. Really, the only thing that's holding it up it talk about new x-files.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, they said they are starting filming this summer. I would guess that would put a release either this fall or late winter/early spring of 2016.

There are approximately 152 hours of x-files content to watch (if you include both movies). 2 hours a day would be about 76 days straight, so let's give it an even 3 months to watch everything to give a good buffer.

I better have my goddamn X-Files blu-rays by June at the earliest and August by the latest so I can binge in HD with listening to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast afterwards before these 6 new episodes hit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

poo poo, it hadn't occurred to me that this might finally be the push we need to get blu-ray seasons rolling.

Yeah, this is what's been holding them up. They didn't want to release the blu-rays in 2014 and then turn up with new episodes almost two years later. They want them to be closer together.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, we do know he mastered time travel in Vancouver.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X-FILES STREAMING IN HD ON NETFLIX RIGHT THE gently caress NOW!!!!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3341654/netflix-streams-first-season-x-files-hd/

Only first season for now, but I'm sure more will follow.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 24, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Upon close inspection, it appears that only the first 13 episodes of season 1 are in HD. I imagine it's probably a slow rollout.

That's fine, I'll watch one or two episodes a week and pace myself until the new stuff comes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More of Season 1 seems to be in HD now. There are just a few random episodes right now that aren't (Gender Bender, The Erlenmeyer Flask.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

haveblue posted:

Most of Fringe was great but it had its slow points and I didn't like the last season.

Interestingly enough, that's the same opinion most would have on the X-Files.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both parts.

https://youtu.be/RUAJJvCd2G0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pfft. One released promo.

How about 4 leaked (and in some cases unfinished) promos.

http://campaignofmisinformation.tumblr.com/post/131514490500/heres-all-4-promos-together-in-one-beautiful

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, blu-rays are being released tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

FYI Best Buy has the first season blu set for $15 and seasons 2-9 for $18 each. It's probably the cheapest they'll be for a while.

Target has seasons 1-6 in stores right now for $14.99. It's funny, they don't have season 7+ at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As good as the X-Files blu-rays look, holy poo poo the DTS-HD MA audio soundtrack is a work of art.

The track is very clear, dialog has a lightly limited range due to the source but is still well anchored and intelligible, the the surrounds are pretty drat active and the soundstage is very immersive and expansive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that was fantastic

Mulder being disillusioned that there are so many cameras out there and they served largely to debunk things was amazing. Turning that on its head by him taking continuous pictures but failing by doing it with the selfie camera was comedic genius. That's a modern day version of the phenomena that no one seems to have an in focus camera when something goes bump in the night.

Scully's perpetual amusement throughout this episode was infectious because I think it was genuine, she was having so much fun during this.

Then we broke the 4th wall with Mulder's ringtone and I lost it.

That was an instant classic that would be right at home in any place in the series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DorianGravy posted:

I missed this when I was watching the episode, but apparently his character's name was Guy Mann. Love it.

Yeah, his name being Guy Mann was also hilarious. This is especially true in context when Mulder questions him about things like social security numbers. Oh, just bullshit your way out of it with the totally believable and not made up name for a someone with zero background, Guy Mann.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

6-10 episodes every 12-18 months would be ideal. It's not a giant time commitment on anyone's part. Fox can use them to bridge gaps in programming with a guaranteed ratings bump. It also keeps it from disappearing up it's own as with on the fly mythology.

Maybe in two or three years that could build to a feature film. But that's not strictly necessary.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The question you have to ask about Babylon is, "Was it critical to the story that they were Islamic terrorists?"

I would have to argue, no. The plot setup was a framework for Mulder and Scully to explore their beliefs and where they place their faith. It was convenient to the writers to draw off the Paris attacks to do so, but it wasn't necessary or even tangential to the main plot.

It could have just as easily been a extremist catholic group bombing an abortion clinic. Here is the reason why this is a conversation worth having. As the episode stands, it not only reinforces stereotypes, but it stokes the flames of fear and hate. Because it's a minority group, people don't have enough personal exposure to separate the fact that they are extremist rather than the norm.

If it was a Catholic extremist group, people have enough exposure with Catholics to not paint everyone with the same brush. Sure, some would complain, but no one is talking about barring entry of Catholics to this country, so the social harm doesn't even approach the same.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm not sure having more episodes per season will help Chris Carter become a better writer.

But it might allow Darin Morgan to write more than one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As long as we get at least one episode on the level of "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" , the next season will be worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Usually been watching this the day after on Hulu, but a Darin Morgan episode gets a live watch from me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 25, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just let Darin Morgan write all the episodes already.

It's always been Ozzie's Razor.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 25, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ka-Blam

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This montage is unfuckingbelievable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"I've lost the plot"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Polygynous posted:

what just happened

Perfection.

I actually got bummed when the preview for next week came on and it was more William poo poo.

At this point, the X-Files should turn into a parody of itself, it's much better that way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was The Jetsons car sound, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sound sample they actually used came from Futurama.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How are so many people misunderstanding an episode when Fox basically looks into the camera and says it?

How we treat AI is going to determine how AI treats us.

I mean, geeze, it was really clearly spelled out.

Mulder was abusive to the AI chefs (no tip.)
Scully was abusive to her automated driver (don't talk to me.)

Both actions were reflected back at them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 2, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rm9sbG93ZXJz is base64 for Followers.

Fox's stereo plays "Teach Your Children"

The episode opens with a story about how the internet turned a chatbot crazy.

There may have been some themes about human connection over isolation with tech, but a good chunk of the plot was dedicated to how we can poison our own creation.

It was fairly one dimensional and I don't know that it really said much on the subject, but it really kept hammering that point home over and over.

I enjoyed the episode though. It was interestingly shot and the lack of dialog was refreshing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The X-Files is no stranger to gimmick episodes, I'm not sure how this one strains disbelief more than others. There's always been a subset of episodes that are even further removed from MOTW to the point where you could question their inclusion in canon. The fun has always been to see the character reactions to these situations.

Unless you want to say Reggie really was in all those important scenes over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, no.

It's happening.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-human-attacks-robot-cars-20180305-story.html

• Locked thread