Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tir McDohl posted:

My favorite part about the Chrono Trigger ER was when they got all excited about having a flying time machine then thought they had to walk to their next destination and bitched the whole way there.
Mine was when World Revolution started playing in the final boss fight and you could hear them getting more and more jazzed up by it. Chrono Trigger has such an unbelievably good soundtrack, probably one of the best gaming has ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A freelance writer doing an article on Steam economy stuff heard my Idle Thumbs emails and apparently tracked me down for an interview. Problem is, he's doing an article for Polygon, so I declined his offer. If it was literally anyone other than Polygon or Kotaku, I'd definitely do it, oh well.

Patrick needs to return my emails. He asked me to contact him about the hat stuff and I did, but he never got back to me both times he asked, dunno what's up. Hope he didn't take my "Scoops got scoop'd" followup email to Idle Thumbs seriously! Brad, can you get his attention?

Whizbang posted:

I'm glad you stopped because DOTA continues to be the worst.
They should stop producing content for the site because I don't like a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rinkles posted:

Idk, to me sounds kinda dickish.

Hah.

Well that's the summary, I actually spoke to him for about 20 minutes about other stuff that is private as well as my reasoning, and he was cool with it, didn't push the issue, I told him if he wrote a similar article for another site that isn't Polygon, Kotaku, or PAR, I'd probably help him out. I don't see what's so wrong about not wanting to contribute to a site that I dislike both the personalities on as well as the layout of, regardless of if they've got good content. He is writing the article specifically for Polygon, and I'm not cool with contributing to them, I would rather an interview about my personal story of it all go to a site I support, you know? It's why I said I'd give Patrick the Scoop when he asked me to contact him, because I respect him as a journalist, but this is a freelance writer I don't know adding me for an article that I don't know will be any good, on a site I don't enjoy. Can you see where I'm coming from?

Apologies if this post is a bit messy, phonepostin'

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheJoker138 posted:

There's no way Jeff would let Dark Souls 2 take GotY.

There's no way Jeff would let The Last of Us take GotY.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

Oh, here it is already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD50aqynjc4

Jeff vs three amazing competitors for the EDBW Hardcore Championship. Good stuff!

The best part is Jeff got the pins on all three of them to "reclaim" his title as The Most Hardcore, just like he did in the original SNST match where he earned it the first time.

It'd be great if the hype from the developmental stream got Jeff into VGCW proper. I know Bazza doesn't want any more real people, but man, GB giving VGCW a shoutout during TNT all that time ago(as well as multiple shoutouts in other places) has been a huge factor in its popularity, and the chat mostly loves Jeff's CAW. There's always a few "who's this rear end in a top hat?" people in chat, but mostly it's people quoting Jeff based on what's going on, or just saying CAN'T BURST THE GERST

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It syncs so perfectly, too.

Really, all the matches that night were incredible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think Dark Souls is a Pretty Cool Game but I'll probably never play it and instead just watch folks play it and soak in the scenery and great designs and stuff. And skip hundreds of posts of stupid morons getting mad about it.

Welp that's my opinion post on Dark Souls and Dark Souls Posting, hope you enjoyed it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Brad, why are you playing Dark Souls in your spare time instead of doing that 24 hour charity stream you promised if GB raised 100k or whatever it was for charity. Seems kinda uncool to back out on that when a lot of people donated after you said that!

I know the site has a lot of -Souls content on it right now, but I don't think we ever heard about what was going to become of that stream even though you said stay tuned for more info. I would love to see a Brad run of it on the site to go with a Patrick run and LOLS. Jeff may refuse to play it for eternity, but you three having individual runs with different playstyles and such would be interesting to see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Neti pots are fantastic and can reduce the time being sick by up to days if used regularly, and properly, to flush the caked infected mucus out while sick, and will generally improve how you feel while sick to boot since you won't have that pressure and constant urge to blow your nose, which will reduce the irritation and cracked skin under your nose/your upper lip.

It can be uncomfortable the first few times, but you get used to it, it's not like waterboarding or anything. Just make sure the water is hot, but not scalding hot, since the insides of your sinuses are naturally very hot too so warm water will feel tepid at best. The hotter it is, the easier it will dissolve the mucus, and the first time you do it, don't be surprised if some really awful looking stuff that's caked up in there over time comes out.

It's super gross and all that, but it really does help, and can stop a heavy allergy attack right away. I swear by it.

Edit: like, I had a real bad cold for a week and a half a few weeks ago, and every morning I'd wake up with the most horrible stuffiness ever, and I'd blow my nose and it'd just make the entire tissue covered in horrible yellow gunk, I'd go use my neti pot right away and my nose would be clear for at least another four hours after that and all the overnight buildup would be gone. It really does help when sick.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

edit: pretty sure this was made by a goon.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, I made a post about Neti Pots and it attracted a Whizbang to the thread. I'm so sorry guys, I never meant to do this to you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uPen posted:

What cold weather? It's 70F in the city today and it's been like this all week. It also hasn't rained in approximately a year so it's super dry as well.
Yeah I never want to hear someone who lives in California complain about the weather. Maybe if you live in the more inhospitable areas, but man, they've got it loving GOOD there. It was 4 degrees outside Boston last night, and that's not even that bad. Up in New Hampshire it was -17, and I'm sure in Colorado and poo poo it gets like -30 all the time. And in the Summer? humid as gently caress alongside 100-110 degrees.

That said, nothing beats spring and fall in New England. :c00l:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Much like every other post you make, this is wrong.

Also, 50 degrees is tshirt weather, hoodies are for under 40.

Watch out folks, Kung Fu Fist gently caress is on the warpath! Better not get in his way!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

You appear to have flushed more than just nose junk out of your head with your little teapot kiddo. Condolences.
I just can't help but see the irony in you of all people calling other people out on being bad posters. It's amazing!

edit: wow this first Star Wars table in the Zen Pinball QL sucks.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't get it. Why do you think posting all "cutesy" doesn't make you come off as a complete cockhole and makes folks disregard anything you're trying to say, honey-cupcake-snuggle-muffin?

You can be informative without being a shithead, which is difficult for the posters in this thread I know, but try it sometime!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Little late to Arcadechat, but the summer camp I stayed at as a kid had a cabin they used as an arcade. They had TMNT, Arkanoid, Bucky O'Hare, Klax, Qbert, and Time Crisis machines, as well as foosball and air hockey tables, all free, you just had to earn your way in there by not being a little shithead during everyday activities, which was easy enough to do. It ruled.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bogart posted:

Man, where do you guys live that you can't get any pizza other than chain? I can think of three places within a mile that I can get a drat good pizza from. Maybe that's just an East Coast thing. You know, the East Coast thing: having good pizza.
There's a small pizza place near me that serves a "Texas Cowboy" pizza.

It's got steak tips, friend chicken, bacon, extra cheese, and barbecue sauce on it. It's fuckin' HEAVENLY, but you'll not want to move for at least a few hours after eating some.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah for birthday parties Costco pizza was the go-to and they are really cheap. Better than any of the chain pizzas.

:10bux: for an 18-inch pizza absolutely coated in pepperoni and salami, and some awesome berry smoothies on the side? Yes please :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watching yesterday's Spelunkin' with Scoops and by far the funniest thing that has happened in this series was when he went to get the Jetpack from the crashed spaceship and then his shotgun just decided life wasn't worth living anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fobwashed I think is the guy who made the Patrick Spelunky sprites, and he's also a master of making gifs on the spot for key moments. If you don't have him followed, he's one of the folks who are worth following for that.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/fobwashed/images/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, some sort of update just like this is exactly the sort of thing that helps assuage fears that the site isn't doing well. Giving the community at large a quick rundown of what's happening behind the scenes(what they can talk about at least) is useful in dispelling doubts of the site's success.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if any of them played Phantom 2040, Super Baseball 2020, or Metal Warrior. Those were three of my favorite games of the SNES era(outside of the standard top-tier stuff) and if they haven't given them a shot, I would love a Breaking Brad: Metal Warrior. That game is really fun and unique for its time, but god drat is it balls hard after a while.

I think Patrick would like Phantom 2040 for how straight up different it is from pretty much any game of its era. Like, it's a platformer and all, but the storyline and progression is like Chrono Trigger's multiple endings, except if you instead changed it so that it would be multiple entire games instead. A few early crucial decisions can completely change the game's progression and layout depending on what you pick, and there's many, many endings. Dozens, I believe. The password system is also one of the balls-out craziest I've ever seen, with like 80-digit codes or something, but I can understand why when the game's that complex. It really blew me away as a kid, also it was a damned grim game. It's one of my favorite games of all time, probably in my top 10 or 20. I feel like I am the only person on the entire planet who ever played it, though.

On another note, does anyone have a good-quality image of the Gamepro ranking system? I figure this thread would be a good place to ask since a lot of people in here seem to be the sort who would even remember what I'm talking about. Not the scale they went with later, but rather the five-face original ones, this is the only example of good quality I could find, but it only has two of the faces.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I want Jeff to do an Amiga Stream, since like none of the crew except him had one. Also it's almost 30 years since they launched which is really crazy when I type it out.

You've gone from a skull to an old lady. At least there's a skull inside that head of hers, maybe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Once you get the hang of the "ninja rope" in Phantom 2040, you can do some really crazy poo poo.

There's a few pretty difficult levels depending on the items you have, and the sewer level(like all sewer levels) is pretty bad, but stuff like the underground jungle versus the spider-tanks and fights against Graft were pretty fun. The branching storyline thing though, yeah, it was loving ridiculous. Like, one of the very first decisions you make in the game(at the University) determines if you meet certain characters or obtain certain items throughout the entire rest of the game. You have to choose between the moral choice or getting a sweet fire extinguishing grenade, I think(saving the professor, or attacking some robots). I remember there being a contra-style boss, straight up techno-organic skull-monster in the basement of a labratory that was pretty creepy too. Totally-not-facehuggers scampering around too.

Man, now I wanna break out the SNES and play it again.

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress yeah, it has some of the nastiest basslines on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doGmYgjYAsU

There will never be a more impressive piece of video game music to me than the Solstice title theme music.

This is exactly how it sounded on an NES. It's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 1, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really enjoyed it, but I honestly haven't played it since I was younger, so I couldn't reliably tell you without nostalgiagoggles. But I do remember that there was a certain way to totally break the game when playing against the headless robot team, there was a specific pitch you can do that will hit them every single time, and while you'll let them get like 20 runs in and lose a shitload of money, you can completely destroy the entire team and make them worthless by beaning each player three times, which "breaks" them and drops their stats into the toilet.

It adds a few new mechanics to baseball, such as jetpacks for outfielders, upgradeable stats, armor and powerups for players, Stop pads in the outfield to immediately halt a ball that rolls onto it, earning/losing money for performing well/badly/hitting people, a bunch of other stuff. And the aesthetic is pretty good, too. I liked it a lot, but again, nostalgia talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFlKdzdnPVw

edit: oh this isn't a video of the SNES version, but it's essentially the same exact thing just without the insert coin stuff, and I don't remember the umpire ever coming out and adding extra poo poo onto the field, weird.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 1, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IkeTurner posted:

This site seems to have page scans from GamePro that include samples of the various review faces. Example:
http://archives.tg-16.com/GPRO/GPRO_1991_02_072.jpg

Oh excellent, thank you!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Funny, I'd rather watch TNT than read your posting.

Perhaps Giant Bomb isn't the website for you! Maybe you should stop visiting it if certain content bothers you so much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blister posted:

Here they all are if you still need'em

Fantastic, I was going to edit them out of the Gamepro pages later but this is perfect. Reminds me that there's a picture of a dude making those faces on each of his high school yearly ID's, progressively getting hairier and crazier faced until he's literally doing the 5.0 in his senior year with dreadlocks flying out in every direction. It's great.

Also, pizza update: on my plate I currently have a slice of Texas Cowboy pizza(steak tips, grilled chicken, bacon, barbecue sauce) and chicken alfredo pizza. :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of Jeff, he's having an...interesting time at a bar

quote:

Walked into the men's bathroom and found a woman hovering above the toilet seat. Glad to see Gale's hasn't changed?

quote:

This woman is claiming the she's the Super Bowl champion and I'm not going to bother correcting her. http://t.co/2Dhp08K4P5
:allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The real answer is to just watch VGCW.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly the plot of VGCW isn't really necessary except in the now. You can read up on the story on the wiki if you want, but it's not super important. It might actually lead to you liking different characters than most because a lot of the love/hate for some characters is entirely on their past performances. Jumping in after the next episode would likely be the best route, since each episode of VGCW is multiple hours long, the backlog is likely hundreds of hours in length at this point. And that's not even counting WVGCW, VGCW @ Home, or SNST or EDBW if you fall down the derivative rabbit hole.

Szmitten posted:

I can't get into VGCW because NoDQ CAW and Slam n Jam got there first in 2004.
Cool because some guys did a thing a literal decade ago you can't watch something similar today. Do you not play current video games because stuff in the 90's might have done it first?

edit: also if plot's necessary for you, you can go through the past shows on Zylch3's episode recordings and just click all the "plot" videos. And ask in the VGCW thread for some crucial fights to watch, Red vs Scorpion is one of the fan favorites and apparently was actually nominated for best match of the year. In the actual wrestling subforum's MOTY thread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mu Zeta posted:

Congrats. Isn't it awesome how you can wake up and not feel lovely after a good night's rest? It's amazing was losing something little like 10 pounds does for you.

After high school, I hit a slump and reached nearly 400 pounds, it was the grossest I've ever felt. I started working at UPS and lost half my body weight over the next year, most of that within the first four months(hard labor in midsummer humidity while overweight'll melt it right off ya, or kill you, one or the other) and now I'm fit and never felt better. I urge anyone who's overweight to figure out a way to lose weight, because man, quality of life really increases when you reach an optimal body weight.

steakmancer posted:

Brad and Vinny have gained noticeable weight though.
Jeff is clearly siphoning off his weight and transferring it to Vinny and Brad, it all makes sense now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Steam is opening a music store apparently. Timely.

I would be cool with a music store that sold game soundtracks for relatively cheap. Like, 2-5 dollars cheap depending on the price of the game, or just bandcamp for games. In fact, yeah, bandcamp for game soundtracks would rule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New thing on the upcoming list: "Breaking Brad: Demon's Soulsathon"

Is it finally going to happen? Is Brad going to finally play 24 hours straight of a Souls game that he promised during the charity drive?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rirse posted:

Someone needs to make a animated gif of Patrick's death to the thwomp in the City of Gold. Wow that is just bad luck.

When he gets knocked out and slowfalls down since the cape is active on his stunned body, and then he recovers and is like "okay, okay, I'm good" and then ropes up and a loving mummy falls on top of his head, that needs a gif too.

Hopefully Fobwashed was watching. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yesssss :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man. That Daily run was heartbreaking. But good job Scoops! :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Patrick's totally gonna do it. He's gonna beat Yama!

EDIT: HE DID IT!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A heartfelt goodbye to the daily Spelunkin' with Scoops, y'all. An eloquent ending, Patty m'boy. :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This page is like an episode 30 episodes of DBZ.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. It's beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlxbi1wszWk

Also, Remo died in the most glorious way in today's daily: jumps on a bomb frog, then realizes he needs to get out of dodge, then a blue frog knocks him back down onto the bomb frog, and he's like "NOPE NOPE NOPE" and climbs back up only for the blue frog to knock him back down again right as the bomb frog explodes and kills him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The TPP thing is absolutely fantastic and has been making me laugh hysterically on and off all weekend. Stuff like them attempting to very carefully approach the 4th floor vendor who sells evolution stones so they can evolve Eevee into Vaporeon, only to waste 2/3 of Red's money buying Poke Dolls and a Fire Stone before exiting the menu and having an NPC wander over to block their path back to the vendor. Then, giving up on that, they attempt to go up two flights of stairs to get to the roof to buy a can of soda(to get into Saffron City later), but instead go down four flights of stairs and run straight out the front door, then back in, then it turns into a tug-of-war with people thinking we're done in the store, and people knowing we need to go to the roof, while a couple hundred people in chat have apoplectic fits because WE NEED TO GO BACK AND GET A WATER STONE NO STOP TRYING TO GO DOWN WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU SHITHOLES DOING I HATE YOU ALL. It's an incredible scene to see, all the more because, eventually, they DO make progress. And then get stuck on a roadblock for 9 hours, but still.

• Locked thread