Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
This thread has really helped me in my recent trials and tribulations. Still, I want to make sure I am acting as professional as possible so I must ask: If a company is asking me who their competition is, am I obligated to tell them? They have heard I have other offers, but how do I ensure they take them seriously?

To be clear, there are other offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
What do you mean by "in order to consider"? Does that mean in order for her to accept the job she'd need them to move their offer up by 40%? If that is the case then ask for it. Consider though that they might take your offer as the upper limit on what you'd accept and try to drag you lower. By this I mean if you want 40% more, you may have to ask for 50%.

I've asked for 35% more and it hasn't ended the conversation. If you are really far apart they may issue a final offer/ultimatum and you can decide from there.

E: Forgot. I've received offers that included rather nebulous statements about benefits. I replied with an email asking for the "clarifications necessary to consider the offer in total". It wasn't a big deal.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Sand Monster posted:

I interviewed multiple times with a company. When it came time to discuss salary, they won the "get the other person to name a number first" game, and I gave them an honest number for what I would need to even consider another opportunity. The response was that the position was budgeted for much less than that (a substantial amount less). I later responded via email to say, "thanks but no thanks". They're acting shocked and saying that the budget is not actually what they told me. Am I out of line to have walked away? Maybe this is the way the negotiating game is supposed to be played, and I'm woefully unprepared. Which is fine, it is what it is and I guess I'll learn from my mistakes and prepare myself to get lied to every time going forward, but to be deceptive like that is something that bothers me and gives me a poor impression of the company itself (e.g. "What else will they misrepresent?").

If I understand you correctly, the interaction was the following:
1) You gave them a number.
2) They responded with a much lower number.
3) You walked.

My impression is that they were testing how firm you were in that initial number you gave them and were trying to pull that number lower. If you have a job you like, or another offer you are willing to take instead of theirs, the (slightly) better play would have been to reiterate your initial offer and mention you're firm on that number. It accomplishes the same thing as walking away and it makes them say "no". Negotiating money is straightforward and doesn't take much effort, so it is hard to see a situation in which closing the door yourself is the best move.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Sand Monster posted:

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I have a job I am comfortable with, I was just exploring other opportunities that may have had the potential for being the right fit. See below for how the actual interaction took place. You make a good point that I didn't accomplish anything by walking away, apart from the (admittedly worthless) intangibles of "sticking to my guns" or whatever.

(after the back and forth trying to get the other side to name a number)
Me: "The salary would need to be [number] for me to even consider leaving where I'm at."
Them: "Well, we're budgeted at [my number minus a substantial amount] for the position."
Me: "I see. Well, that would actually represent a decrease from what I am currently earning."
Them: "We can try to get more from HR for the position, but -" [proceed to try and sell me on taking the job anyway, discussing non-compensation related advantages, etc.]

I am in full agreement with everything you said and that is exactly how I felt.

To clarify, the salary conversation was with the person I would be reporting to, and I have not dealt with HR at all.

No, they just sent me a response saying that the budget they told me was actually not the real budget (which bothers me; I was up front with them, but they weren't up front with me?).

The guy sounds like he wanted to try getting cheap hires. As above, it sounds like the guy messed up his initial position. The process for under-cutting wages is the following:

Optional) Prospective hire gives a number.
1) HR make initial low ball.
2) Prospective hire counters.
3) HR hems and haws, comes up a little.
4) Prospective hire counters.
5) At some point person who needs the prospective hire decides what the prospective hire is worth and "saves the day" or "sticks his neck out" for the new hire, or says no.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

GanjamonII posted:

I missed it in the original post but I said something like 'I thought minimum was $x which I was OK with ' or something like that so already kind of indicating it would be my minimum.

I will call her back tomorrow and try to phrase all of it eloquently. In terms of being out of their range - maybe the case, but the market rate for this kind of position is somewhere towards the top end of their range anyway.

You're doing fine. You've told them what you currently make, but if they believe the market is lower they could think you're loving with them. Salary ranges are bullshit, as is posted elsewhere, the company hears the lowest number and you hear the highest. You need to decide what the job is worth to you and how willing you are to pass it up.

"The position looks exciting and I like the people I would be working with. I would be happy to accept your offer if the salary/compensation was increased to $number."

Don't goof off with this "minimum acceptable" crap. Remember that whatever number you give them they most likely will counter with less. As likely as companies are not to go through the process of looking for someone else they want to hire over 5k, there are people who are equally likely to accept $new_hire_offer - 5k. Know the minimum you'll accept, start higher and just talk back and fourth, be polite but clear about the numbers. If they are 10k below your current but have a better work environment (which is sounds like they do) try to squeeze more vacation. To me an extra week of vacation is like gold.

Pinball posted:

I've been working part-time (usually around 30 hours a week) at my current job as a direct support professional since last May, and the only raise I've received is from 9.50/hour to 10.00/hour after I finished my probationary period. My boss has asked me to take care of the bookkeeping for our program's cash now, which I'm happy to do. Since it's a new responsibility and I've been working there for over half a year, I'd like to ask for a raise: not much, maybe just another 25 cents. What's the best way to ask for a raise without coming off as greedy? (Honestly I would never have thought to ask, except my mother beat me over the head with statistics about how women often tend not to ask, so at least I'm escaping that trend.)

I don't want to scare you, but asking for more money always sounds greedy. It is a stupid conception in our society that asking for more is "bad", which is convenient for companies that do not wish to pay more. You've been there 6 months and already had a raise. Do you get yearly reviews? Perhaps it'd be best to ask when reviews are and how best to beat your boss's expectations. When reviews come around bring up your earlier discussion then ask for more, if they don't just give it to you anyway.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Korovyev posted:

"Hi Hiring Manager,
Thank you for the offer. I'm pleased that you'd like me to join the Manager Team, however I was surprised and disappointed to see the proposed salary of $60,000, well below the average salary for this position. Given the increase in responsibilities with this new role, the relevant experience I bring to the table, and reduction in annual bonus, I would like to see a higher salary offer before I accept the position."

You don't really have any leverage. They know what you make and you have no other offers. I don't know anything about the job but it sounds like a significant step up if you were happy with 50k before but have been offered a job that moves to 86k-148k. How much prior experience do you have with the role? Do you have any reason to believe you are worth the middle of that range? You've only been there a year, if you switched fields or something you may be in "dues paying" mode. If you're confident in that salary range you might be able to secure 80-90k, but it is going to feel like a big risk if you really like the company that much and want to move up.

Without another offer your options are:
1) Take an extra 2.5k a year and a promotion.
2) Do not take an extra 2.5k and do not accept promotion.
Since the company initiated the promotion they have no reason to believe you have other offers. You can try to bluff them to force more money, but that introduces the possibility of
3) Unemployment

Consider shooting for a smaller bump, say to 70k (they know you, that is worth something), getting a year of experience and coming back at review time with another offer to force the issue. If you want big raises you need leverage and you need to be prepared to walk. Before you move on to try and squeeze more money, find out if there is a bonus. That is a really easy question: "My current position includes a bonus, does the new one?".

Finally, I think you've mixed up where to apply the emotion in your HR dealings. Emotion is for talking about the job. When talking about money you are a robot that crunches numbers, beep boop beep. Once a number is out there, you can't move it without another number. They aren't going to come up in salary because you asked them to try again. This is the employee equivalent of HR asking for "your minimum acceptable" and isn't productive, provide them a number.

E: This is a thread about negotiating but money isn't everything. If you have a job you love and can obtain your financial goals, there is no shame in going 9-5 to pay the bills and spending your free time crafting artisanal dildos. We talk about how to get more money in the event that you move jobs, not because we feel everyone needs to be churning through positions to make that skrilla.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 5, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Korovyev posted:

Excellent points and I'll start with the bonus question. I'd be thrilled with $70k, as the company has an excellent history of always giving raises, however I'm not sure the best way to include that in the above theoretical conversation"

My inspiration is the following anecdote from http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/07/02/327758712/the-company-where-everyone-knows-everyone-elses-salary

Well, if you know the salary of the dude who is leaving, you can do what the guy in the article did and split the difference.

quote:

"Hi Hiring Manager,
Thank you for the offer. I'm excited to join the Manager Team and happy you have considered me for the position. Given the increase in responsibilities with this new role and the relevant experience I bring to the table I would like to see compensation to the tune of $number.

You could go softer:

quote:

"Hi Hiring Manager,
Thank you for the offer. I'm excited to join the Manager Team and happy you have considered me for the position. Given the increase in responsibilities with this new role and the relevant experience I bring to the table I was hoping to see compensation of $number.

So, to walk back what I just said, you don't need to sound stern or stiff, but you shouldn't appeal to emotion.

E: I just realized an upside for your position. If they tell you no, they run the risk of having to hire two new people. Hiring a new person can cost $3500+. It isn't a particularly strong position, but it is something to think about if you need a bit of confidence in asking for more money. Also remember, if you want 70, ask for 75.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 5, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

X-Post from the Interview Thread

Additional Question: The role would've been advertised as an Analyst, how would you go about the negotiation of a) responding to whatever offer and asking for an additional couple thousand (or more if it's not a great offer) because it's sourcing and they'll never respect you if you don't, regardless of the offer and b) wanting to know if they'd hire it with a different title, specifically Business Performance Metrics Manager? They have multiple manager roles that I've seen that don't have direct reports, but I feel like keeping the title Analyst for more years isn't really what I want on my resume 10 years from now. If they offer it at Sr Level, do I just say, "what about this title" and if at Jr do I say, what about bumping it up to the Sr level (And it should be Senior based on what they want the person in this role to do) and use this title instead?

I don't want to come off as entitled, but I'm capable of doing what they ask while many people aren't, and they went out of their way to fly through this process with me.

To clarify: I expect the actual offer mid-next week.

If I remember your other posts they are basically poaching you. This gives you a relatively strong position as you can always stay where you are, if you are happy with it. You need to decide what it would take to get you to leave your current job: how much money and how much title.

a) It sounds like the industry expects you to ask for more, so just ask for more. You should know what your are worth and how low their offer is relative to that. Positions with large salary bands but also long lifetime people can be tricky. 80-140k but some people have been there 15 years means that at 2 year it can be big ask to go for 120k. You seem like a superstar, so you might be worth it.

b) Titles can be trickier as they are visible. This means that a company risks alienating present employees hoping to move up by hiring into the positions above them. Obviously this can and does happen, but in some sense it is easier to get more money than title.

I don't know anything about your industry, are titles important? Would it be worth it to ask for a tiny amount more money but really put your foot down on the title? Is the number of people with the title you want much smaller than the number of people with your title? If so, it might be worth it to use your leverage to get the title and worry about money when your review comes up in a year or two.

From the experience in this thread it is clear that you can always (some would argue should always) ask for more as the chances of an offer blowing up are extremely small, if you've done your homework. As for the "how", the form letter style material a few posts up are pretty universal. I've not any experience in asking for more title, so I'll leave it to more experienced people on whether or not to lump it in and ask for money and title together or separate. My feeling is to put it all together because no one likes a string bettor.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 6, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Korovyev posted:

Success! Asked for $75k, got $65k + $10k bonus yearly. Boot and Dwight- I owe you a drink next time you're in San Francisco for helping me achieve almost an almost 50% raise with one promotion. :)

Congratulations! :homebrew:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

Well the salary I want is 5k under the BLS 2013 data for median salary for my General title qualification in that metro area. Since I have a masters and ~6 years of experience is that a good starting point? I feel like a strong data is a good starting point

You've got a job you're reasonably happy with so you have the ability to walk away, you have oodles of leverage in that regard. You seem to have done your research and have an idea of what money you'd like and what you think you can get and they are close, this is also good. If you can get a glassdoor number on top of the BLS number I'm sure you'd feel better about your position, which is a good one. As mentioned before, politely dodge the question by continually talking about how "finding the right fit is important". Dodging the money question isn't simply some plot to get more money, though it can help in that regard, you really should be more concerned with the environment you'll be working in than the money since you know they theoretically can give you what you want. If they get pushy about the number before you even talk to someone in person this can be a red flag this place is interested in finding the cheapest people, not the best people, consider that before giving up a number (say median +25%).

You really can't lose here:
They force you to give a number before you move on to interview: You tell them and get what you want or they stop wasting your time and you keep on happily at your current job.
You dodge eloquently until they give you a lowball: You go back and ask for what you want and they give it to you or you keep on happily at your current job.
You dodge eloquently until they give you a more money than God: You sip champagne when your thirsty.

tl;dr: Do whatever you want, your position is strong. You should start at median + 10% (or something, so you can gracefully accept less money).

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

potee posted:

Any thoughts/experience on how to handle salary talks when transferring to a different job in the same company?

I'm in a "people leave managers, not companies" situation, so I did some informal, then formal, interviews for what would be a move up to a Senior role in a different department (different office even) and everything went better than expected (they scheduled 4 people for my technical presentation, I wound up with an audience of 15 :stare:). Given the conversations I had with the recruiter and the department heads, I wouldn't be surprised if it went forward.

It would be a $15K bump to get me up to the Glassdoor average for my city, which I don't think is unreasonable given the shift in responsibilities (and it's also a number that would make me a very happy camper), but it's not like my current salary is a mystery, and while I didn't say anything I'm sure the recruiter knows I don't want to stay in my current department. Basically, I'm feeling vulnerable to a lowball.

Korovyev was in a similar position a few pages ago, I think the advice given to him might help you. The short answer is, you are totally in lowball territory.

Korovyev posted:

Hello lovely people of the offer thread! After successfully helping me snag an extra $5k a year, I'm now in a new predicament I've only seen mentioned briefly in the thread.

Here's the time line:
April 2014: Hired at $50k with $5k bonus at end of the year
December 2014: Receive $5k bonus, praise, and a $2.5k raise
2 weeks ago: Current boss is leaving for another department.
This week: Find out boss' position needs to be filled. She's already suggested me to take over, I have experience with the role, and I had an awesome interview with the guy who would be my boss (currently my boss' boss' boss)

Tonight I received the (sadly expected) lowball offer of $60k for the role, with no mention of a bonus. Checking on Glassdoor, the salary range for San Francisco is $86k- $148k, and even the national range is higher, with $62k on the low end. As I love working for the company, I'd rather not have to jump ship a few years down the line in order to make a reasonable living in this area. Does the following sound reasonable without throwing in the pay ranges?

"Hi Hiring Manager,
Thank you for the offer. I'm pleased that you'd like me to join the Manager Team, however I was surprised and disappointed to see the proposed salary of $60,000, well below the average salary for this position. Given the increase in responsibilities with this new role, the relevant experience I bring to the table, and reduction in annual bonus, I would like to see a higher salary offer before I accept the position."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everyone that I talk to always asks "What are you looking to make?"

I'm terrible at guessing what the range they are looking at is, and I'm kind of desperate to leave my current position, so I would accept a slight pay cut. But I don't want to tell them the honest low end of what I'd take. How do I handle this? There's one job I'm applying for right now that I think I'm really qualified for, and they have a salary range posted. Can I just say something along the lines of "I saw the salary range was x, and depending on the exact responsibilities of the position, I think that range sounds appropriate"?

How far along in the hiring process are you?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
This is a disclaimer about me thinking you live in the USA and are going for a corporate type job.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The one with a salary posted, just applied, but I'm fairly confident I'll get at least an initial call. The thing is, almost every opportunity I've had, they ask that in the initial call.

If they are talking about money before they even bring you in to talk to you in person, they are looking for a cheap hire. This can be a bad sign for the company you are joining. EDIT: There is disagreement below, I've never been asked. It depends on you field.

You should have some idea of the actual pay rate for the job you're looking at and what you'd be willing to accept to move to that new job. If the job is in your field and you are you really want to switch companies, just give them your current salary. If the job is in some new field try BLS data or use glassdoor and google around. It can be a bit tricky but the key is to get to a number you (not the company) are comfortable with and give the company that number. If they pass on you, then you knew you weren't getting what you want anyway, no problem!

If it is posted, you like the job or not being at your current job, just give them that number. Maybe a bit more.

Another option, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is to punt using language like "I'd really like to see if the environment is a good fit for me before we discuss compensation". This can still result in companies looking for someone cheap passing on you, but is a really common move. Companies not looking for extremely cheap people will not take this as a bad sign.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The ones that don't are the ones where they just tell you the pay, and don't negotiate.

The language in an offer is always worded as to sound final. They will probably use some wording like "your salary will be". Nothing is final until you sign on the line. They may play some game of chicken where they call you, bring you in to interview and after all that want to talk money at the end of an interview. You want to see information on vacation, benefits, bonuses, everything first. If they start pushing about money, you can put it off and talk about everything else they are going to compensate you with but money. Once you have all that worked out then talking money will be easy because you knew numbers were good for you before you showed up.

If they insist on talking money before anything else, ask for more money than you would have otherwise. You have no idea what the benefits are so you need to be prepared to provide your own 401k "match". Healthcare may be expensive or none at all.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 25, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, they held firm on salary, but they did give me a sign on bonus. In base salary alone I just jumped 19%.

Not to mention there's a significantly better bonus, insurance is less than half of what I'm paying now, and the deductible will be 1500 bucks instead of 6000. Even after HSA contributions I still come put way ahead like another little raise every pay check.

Thanks for chronicling this for us! I assume you are going to take it as it met the minimum it would take to move? What about those questions you had about title, how did those work out?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Dango Bango posted:

Would it be tacky or unprofessional to tell my agencies who have told me they want to continue working with me to contact the hiring manager? I'm not speaking from a standpoint of "hey get me a job", but "if you want to continue working with me, contact <hiring manager>".

It is tacky to suggest it outright, especially since you have an offer. It can come off as extortion. My strategy was to inform a company that told me "no negotiating" that I was taking another job. The person who actually wanted to hire me found out and the offer was bumped 20% the next day. After two weeks of "we will get back to you". This is why the other offer is so critical, it both establishes value and makes the threat of leaving so credible you don't have to threaten to use it. You have to be honest with yourself about what you want and go with what makes you happiest. You aren't threatening anyone, there is no extortion. You are doing what is right for you.

The email prior to an interview might have been a game of managing your expectations. Did you apply for anything else after you got that email? That might have been their goal.

From reading your posts, you did your homework and knew what you wanted. Excellent. Your negotiating position wasn't that great: you had no alternatives and they knew your salary. You still managed 19%, which is a decent raise. You're moving up in title (though you already had, you now get to keep it). Finally, you are moving to an area where people who do what you do get paid more. You're actually doing pretty good here. As a bonus, you are in a prime position to jump to a higher paying job in a year. Take the job, wait a while and start sending out the applications. Find a new company and when all is said and done you should be looking at a lot more than the 3k you originally wanted.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Tab8715 posted:

When I'm going through a recruiter or without one should I bring up salary requirements if they don't?

I've no experience with recruiters. Since they seem to be matchmakers I would be up front with them about what you want.

Without a recruiter is different and really depends on your situation. If a company wants to offer you a job they will have to talk salary and benefits eventually. Are you worried you are wasting your time? You can get a good ballpark by searching the web and places like glassdoor and the NLRB BLS. It isn't a bad idea to interview even if the company is not going to offer you the world, you may decide you like the job or you may decide it sucks and then ask them for the world.

E: Confused NLRB for BLS.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 31, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Tab8715 posted:

I've the experience where I've done a lot interviewing but pay hasn't come up until the end I'm afraid that number I give might be too much and I've wasted all my time.

How do I search the NLRB?

Whoops, sorry I meant BLS. For example, Network and Computer Systems Administrators.

How disparate are your desires and the offers? If you have a good job and you are happy you don't need to worry about a company "anchoring" the discussion. Let them offer and then tell them what you want. Your best shot at getting what you want is after you've demonstrated you're the best person for the job. If you're tired of interviewing and companies are beating down your door then by all means let them know you are "very happy where you are and only interested in exploring particularly interesting opportunities".

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 31, 2015

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

sellouts posted:

As someone who lurks this thread I just wanted to say thank you.

When I reached my boiling point and had to have a real conversation with my employer about role and compensation all of the good advice here (and seeing the bad advice) ultimately helped me out tons.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Thanks to this thread I landed a 20% raise at my year review. Thanks, goons.

If you aren't concerned about privacy can you be more specific? The story thus far got you 20%, maybe with your details the next guy gets 25%!

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I just had a second phone interview with the head of HR for a senior level position I'm interested in. I'm currently a regular analyst. I haven't disclosed my salary, but he mentioned the range for the position I'm interviewing for and it's slightly less than what I currently make. However, it didn't seem like it was a hard range. The first interview I had with the internal recruiter, she mentioned the position salary range was based upon an applicant's experience, background, etc. During this second interview the head of HR mentioned the range but said "around" the range. The head of HR and the internal recruiter have not had a chance to talk yet since the head of HR has been out traveling. I already have an in-person scheduled with the hiring managers for next week and the recruiter will be following up on this second phone interview I had early next week as well. Should I mention my concern then since I would expect an increase in salary to go from Analyst to Senior Associate and the related increase of responsibility and workload that would entail? If a range is thrown out there, how much wiggle room is there normally?

As a rule of thumb, when a company gives you a range they really mean the bottom. By talking money early they are trying to manage expectations. If you like the place but need/want money to leave your current job then wait for the offer and counter. If the promotion they are offering is a big step up consider staying money neutral but position up, then, in a year or so, move to a company that will pay.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Latro posted:

In the same train of thought, how should you negotiate when walking away is not an option for you when you have an offer? Case in point, I was let go from my old job (as part of a layoff) and started job-hunting while unemployed. I found new-company which is a very close fit to what I want in terms of culture and career growth - i.e. I really want to work there. I went through 3 stages of interviews and I told them that the reason for my job search is that I was part of a layoff. Apparently, I interviewed well, because the talent acquisition person told me that everyone liked me and gave me an offer of $LOW NUMBER which is about 20% pay cut from my old job. I never really committed to a range or named a number during my interviews, but I mentioned once that I liked $LOW Number and that I can be flexible (oops). The reason why I did that is that the opening for the job was night shift only (which was not doable for me) - I pushed very strongly on that and they made the position dayshift (i.e. regular hours). I couldn't compromise on hours, but at the time I felt like compromising on money to secure a job offer(probablty a very dumb idea). Now, looking at the offer on paper in front of me, I am not so sure. 20% less is not something that would break my budget and I can live with it, but I don't want to sell myself short. Benefits and everything else is at a level I am content with - but also at a level that is not really flexible (for example, PTO is a very generous amount, but the same for everyone regardless of seniority). In terms of how $LOWNUMBER compares to other people at the same prospective company company - looking at GlassDoor, this company has 5 other people with the same position and they have reported an average of $2k less than my offer of $LOWNUMBER - so my offer is pretty much smack on the average.Also, that is probably a good sample, because I learned that their team size is 27 people for that role total. At oldjob I am pretty sure that I was overpayed, but then again I have not shared anything about my old salary to the company I am interviewing with. Should I push at this point on base salary portion given I have an offer in writing? Walking away is not really an option for me because I don't really have other offers, but I am not sure to what extent they know or can guess that - I have mentioned to the talent acqiusition guy that I have other interviews scheduled (which I don't). Or am I being too greedy?

In general, asking for a little more money is not very risky (say 5%). Still, since you have no other options if you try to stretch that 20% gap you are straight bluffing, to which you need to understand the answers to these (and other) questions:
1) Can I afford to stay unemployed? Can I survive unemployment long enough to find another job?
2) If I find another job, will that job be better paying?
3) Can I continue looking while employed at this place?
4) How long until the growth potential pays off so I get promoted, then I can jump ship to better pay?

While this thread seems to emphasize more money, which is what everyone wants, it is really about making the best of the position you are in. It is about putting yourself in the best position now and in the future. Right now you are not in a strong position to get a pile of new money. You are in a position to make sure there are no gaps in your employment history and possibly grow into new roles that will get you paid later.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Gonktastic posted:

Thanks, that was what earlier responses suggested but it's nice to see it laid out bluntly. I've drafted an email that is enthusiastic, polite, and firm. I've actually done a lot of research since then and they really are coming in at the low-end of the industry given salaries that alumni have received from similar companies, as well as what they pay people with just a bachelor's and a few years of experience in other similarly titled roles.

I hope this makes you even more confident in asking for more money.

Gonktastic posted:

I was going to send the German firm a message tonight, and am trying to figure out if I should address it to both my recruiting contact and the hiring manager? I'll likely end up meeting or working with this team in the future given the small size of my industry and I'd like to ensure that no matter what I leave them with a good feeling about me.

Address it to both of them.

Gonktastic posted:

A thorough survey of friends and family has revealed everyone's just too afraid to negotiate. Most of them express regret over that after finding out they could have gotten more. My dad suggested that I'm an entitled millennial and they won't like me if I ask for more money, but then I remembered that he told me that my stepmom negotiated for a 40k raise last year and figured he's a capitalist pig just trying to keep the new generation down.

"We didn't ask for more money when I was your age! We also had stronger unions and better relative wages which we then voted against and then turned workers into a commodity, thus bringing about the need to negotiate."

Ignore the haters, get what you are worth.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

asur posted:

Is there any well known company that explicitly prevents employees from sharing their salary information? I've seen that advice, that you can't share salary due to company policy, given a lot but never actually heard of a company that does it.

This kind of thing would seem to degrade into grade school "nu-uh", "uh-huh" type nonsense. Or the person wouldn't believe you but wouldn't say anything. It seems so much easier to just drop an inflated number if you're in a good position or a more conservative number you think they'll jump at if you have been unemployed for 6 months and have bills to pay (if they really seem to be pushing the issue). If getting that good position for the big raise takes a few moves, so be it.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Blinky2099 posted:

edit tldr:

- Interning at a company
- Discussing full time, haven't gone through the interview+presentation+test+etc process yet, but my team wants me
- Recruiter wants to talk salary before this process so we don't waste either of our times, wants me to give a number/range
- I insist on not giving a number and am more comfortable discussing after, or he can give me a range so that I can decide whether or not to continue with the interview process
- He declines, says that idea sucks pretty much
- I try yet again
- He declines, says he could say a range but, word for word: "our ranges are wide so if i was to give you one it wouldn't really help you to make your decision "
- I finally say okay, I'll give him a number next week.

How high of a number should I ask for?

Applying for a materials engineering position, somewhat niche.
Glassdoor: Mechanical Engineer, 78k-130k, 97k average (48 reports)
Manufacturing engineer: 82k-118k, 96k avg (32 reports)
Design engineer, 76k-128k, 99.6k avg (30 reports)
Mechanical design engineer: 72k-117k, 92k avg (10 reports)

I'm afraid of asking for the 100s because of my lack of experience. I've also heard rumors of starting salaries are mid 70s to mid 80s. Really not sure what number will be too high/out of their range/scare them off. I was really hoping for low 80s but now it sounds like I could get a lot higher... maybe...?

You're just starting and would be happy with low 80s. The ranges you've given here indicate that entry level people make mid-70s. As indicated above, you're the known quantity which is worth about 5k. Opening with 86k wouldn't strike me as audacious.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

asur posted:

Dik Hz: Go ask your manager what the pay range is for the position he wants to hire you for. Then give a number in the middle to high end of that range. Someone else mentioned not starting at entry level but that seems highly unlikely unless you have more experience than 1 internship.

I agree that it is highly unlikely to get much beyond entry level. However, insisting known first timers give a number comes off as attempting to trap people into quoting low numbers. If there was a entry level value that was set in stone, they wouldn't be so insistent on a number. Blinky has done their research and determined the average for this job is in the 90s. He knows that unless he gives them a super sweetheart of a deal they are going to try and bust him down a few thousand. So he should ask for something like mid-80s. This should make him look like he known quantity who understands he provides less value (because he is new, not because it is true).

Dik Hz is absolutely right, you need to make sure you'll consider total benefits packages and not just dollars. Tell them you are ready to provide a number but that benefits are important and you'd like to know a little bit about them first so you have a better idea of what the package looks like in total. If they insist on a number, right now, give em a number but make sure you qualify it like: "Not knowing anything about the benefits package, I would say 86k a year would be reasonable." Asking about benefits is not some ruse used as a delaying tactic; it is extremely important. Does the company offer a 401k or a match for that 401k? Do they have you chip in monthly for your healthcare? For example, if you make 75k but have a 5% 401k match and no out of pocket monthly healthcare costs you make the same as a guy who makes 81k with no match and $200 a month for healthcare.

Finally, as was mentioned before: however the negotiation ends, forget about what could have been, take the job, gain experience and jump ship in two years when you have a stable job (you hopefully like) and have a strong enough position to maybe even break 100k.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Blinky2099 posted:

update: asked for $88k. a direct quote from a meeting today: "I took a look at the number you threw our way. I think it's more than reasonable, and in fact, we'll probably be able to beat it."

Well, I hosed up by not asking for enough, but had no way of knowing that was the case. At least recruiting is somehow willing to (possibly) offer me more than I asked for, for some weird reason. Not too worried about the $ difference between what they're going to offer vs. ~maximum value~ since it's likely I'll be moving between a few companies for the first decade out of school. I'll count my blessings instead.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Hah, wow. I guess the rub was "somewhat niche"? Perhaps we didn't factor your experience enough. Other positives: apparently your job is hard to fill so when you do try to jump ship ask for the keys to the CEO's daughter's chastity belt.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
The point is not to throw another offer in their face. The point is the confidence gained by having an alternative which will make you happy. It is so effective that you need not even tell them there is another offer. It gives you direct confirmation of your value in the market, your present company is free to disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Betazoid posted:

Your point is noted, for sure. The lower paying job is the one that suits my skill set. The commutes are the same and the benefits are the same (I'm on my husband's insurance since he's a govie). This thread has been stressing over and over that you'll never get what you don't ask for, so I figure I should counter-offer.

How does this look for a counter offer email? I feel like it's too soft, but the job is good, and Jedi Knight Luigi's response is making me nervous about declining it, considering I'm your typical English major type and this is still good money, though it's not *great* in DC.

Never ask permission to negotiate, just negotiate. Any reply that isn't "Yes" is going to be skimmed for "how much and why" anyway. You can also drop the language about how much less this job offers than your current job. You are staking a position, they only need to assess whether their needs and your needs align, not why you're taking that position. Believe it or not, you've already negotiated! You've given them a number and they came in below it, your options are to take it, ask for more or be happy where you currently work.

How easy are jobs like this one to come by? If you turned this job down and went looking for another, would it be more like your current job or this new job? Is this a chance to get a title that improves your future job prospects beyond "technical writer"? If you take this new job, how long before you can move on or up?

How "huge" is the 10k for your family? It isn't universally a bad idea to take less money if it provides you tangible benefits like a location you want to live or more time with your family, but a drop in income can make things unexpectedly tight. What are you giving up on the home side to (I assume) improve your career side? It sounds to me like you are not certain how much money you need so you don't know when to trade opportunity for money.

They mentioned 53, you asked for 65. They tried to set a high limit by saying 57 and then offering 55. You signaled your ability to negotiate by doing it, so they expect you to continue to do so. If you asked for nothing more than 57, they'd say yes. If you decide that even 62 is too little, then you can stick to your original 65 or ask for 62 and walk if they don't offer it. This whole process gets really easy when you know what you need, want and can get. From where I am sitting your BATNA is very strong since you don't need them.

Also, no, it isn't greedy to want your telecommute in writing and separate from a flextime policy. Like money, you can ask and see what they say.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I agree that would be a good idea, especially if Kalenn Istarion and Boot and Rally are also on board.

Ooof, I've got so little time these days. Sorry!

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread