Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

This is a wonderful LP - I love the different styles! Looks like my Islamic poetry LP will be delayed for another year.... It'd look terrible compared to this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Look, you might unhelpfully call them traitors, I call them a potential source of vast amounts of manpower we could tap into if we just accepted the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church. :argh:

Icon(cur).

Let those determined to be schismatics continue their quest to leave the church of Christ weak to invaders! The followers of the goon mod stand over the ruins of our holy places! It is time to end our petty squabble. First among equals!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Thanks! Graphical work is one of the things I like most about legislative LPs. Happy to work with any other would-be splitters.

Ofaloaf, yell at me on skype with a real name.

Love it. Definitely signing up officially to this radical, brave and above all honest faction of the senate.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Learned and esteemed senators, friends all, though you may mock us, we too are devastated by the current turn of events. But is there not blame to be heaped upon ourselves?

In turning to idolatry have we not asked calamity to befall us? Our priests, charlatans as they are have turned away from the face of the right hand of god and his shield, the very phalanx that protects the emperor, has been withdrawn and a mark of punishment - the very mark of Cain himself! - has been branded into the noble brow of the Kommenos.

Our obstinate, mule headed stubbornness has brought this fate upon us! The Turk and bulgar, the doux and regents, the fires of all pervading hell - and for what? For the simple arrogance of proclaiming that the protector of all Christendom, Christ's representative on earth, is no more than a patriarch!

Fie upon you all! Would you see this empire crumble and fa for the sake of misbegotten pride? What churls, what villains you 'August' men of the senate are.

And when the theodesian walls can no longer protect us from the Turk? When the bulgar laughs in our groves and takes our women? To who then shall ye mighty Byzantines turn? To those members sitting here today fawning over our noble rulers? To the money lenders? To those hankering for a 'new' Byzantium?

No! You will turn, as you must, to the frank, to the German, to the successor of Peter! And as the streets run red with imperial blood, you will look up and whisper 'save us' and the Pope will say 'No!'

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

forkis posted:

It is good to see that the safety and prosperity of the Empire lies in such capable hands! I only regret that the machinations of the perfidious court kept the Queen Regent Oda from lending her considerable skills for longer. Regardless, I see that I stand corrected in regards to the Levant - may our good Catholic brothers survive longer in their endeavor this time around. Perhaps it may be wise to consider an offer of assistance in their defense of the Holy Land? Mull it over it my friends. Even those of you who have hardened their hearts the most against our pious Latin brothers must realize that a Jerusalem under their rule is preferable to it suffering beneath a heathen Turk.

I back this wholeheartedly. A string Jerusalem is a spear in the heart of the infidel turcoman. That our lands continue to suffer under their rule is more than an insult - it is a damning inditement of the schism that has divided Christianity for too long.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

This has to happen. Full stop.

Agree

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My brother, these August men know these pouts of history. And yet they remain blind, wilfully blind, to the opportunities we propose!

Are they men of Christ at all? I suspect many a Turkish coin falls between their fingers in the vaults of the mighty senators!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

The best way to secure our future is to create reliable alliances with the Latins, reinforced by reconciling ourselves to the rest of Christendom.

Let us put this to the senate: an alliance between Byzantium and the catholic nations of the west. A permanent bulwark against the Turk.

All senators can agree with us on this proposal!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Senators, I feel there are some platforms we can all agree on:

1. Unceasing war against the Turk

2. Alliances with orthodox nations

3. The maintenance of the Kataphractoi

4. Immediate conversion to Catholicism

Since I hear you shouting from here, let us simply adopt the first three policies as a starting point for useful debate.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Personally speaking, that sounds workable enough. We would reconcile ourselves to Rome, maintain a strong religious relationship with Latin Christendom and gain influence throughout all of Christendom. I imagine that if our puppetlegitimate supported candidate for the Papacy was already a respectable bishop here in the Empire, we might end up with the entirety of the Papal States under our direct control as well.

We'd be able to bolster our diplomatic ties with the Latins and gain Rome at the same time. It's a solid plan.

I can throw my weight behind this proposal

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Loyalists? Loyalists! Who here is loyal except those you decry as "traitors"?

Who are by definition loyal to our ultimate lord - the Prince of Peace - and his representative on earth The Bishop of Rome

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

This senator is being rushed away by his sons after collapsing in apoplectic rage.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm going to run my own hands off game of ck2 from now on to determine where my senator votes. I'll basically be following the opinions of one of the Byzantine doux to the emperor and to a couple of other figures in my game. Where the family votes, I'll vote!

I regret to inform my fellow senators that my father, Antonius Paulinus Thedopolus, was taken unto god this morning. I share his beliefs and look to further our shared papal heritage in his stead.

For God and the Empress! My friends, my enemies, I salute you all in this time of strife.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Though I lack my late father's speech craft skills, I must second the issues put forward by the august senator before me, though please tolerate my fumbling tongue, I had hoped my maiden speech would be in calmer times.

Let us consider the advantages of the papacy over the patriarchs growing fat from the spoils of our people. The papacy does little political but grant Catholic nations money and insists on nothing but a simple investiture of bishoprics! We can be an autonomous empire, backed by the entire united force of Christendom, if we but bend the knee to the representative of Christ on earth!

Is that such a request?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

On other matters, a number of artisans and iconographers (including cousin Lavrentos) have spoken with me. They're making noises about wanting the Senate to construct some kind of monument to stimulate the local economy and fatten their purses. Of course, I am not usually swayed by such senseless wastes of the Imperial purse, but with the loss of one of our number recently, I was thinking it would be appropriate to construct something and name it in honor of Senator Thedopolus. A bridge or a library, perhaps? Maybe a chapel?

I thank you for your kind words and proposal, which I second. I feel a chapel commemorating the Donation of Constantine would be an appropriate monument to my father's legacy?

Though, devout as he was, perhaps a street in the... Ahem... Less salubrious quarter would be a fitting testament to my father's extra-senatorial activities. It was, in the end, the debate that killed him, but his time with his young wife (now my wife - you will meet her doubtless as the next wine-and-figs soirée held by the "Traitor" party) fatally weakened his humouric balance which had burned so brightly with choler in recent times.

I must confess that my tutors did not encourage me to move into the theological school, and my ignorance concerning matters both liturgical and ecumenical has left me staggered at the range and ability of my fellow senator's oratorical ejaculation. I, while most certainly am my father's son, needs must take time to acquire the knowledge other senators seem to have been born with. My own expertise lies more in the commercial field.

For other senators such as I coming into the senate for the first time, and especially for those without my father's guidance, perhaps the Old Patriarch, or "OP" could include a summation of the parties' general philosophies?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Looks like our politics just became

(Puts on sunglasses)

Byzantine.

Naaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pester posted:

So make a marriage alliance to Kiev. And it's time for our brave patriarchs to travel abroad, into great danger for the sake of great gain, as they had in the days of St. Cyril. Though our missionaries to the great Khans may perish, they will have the greater reward for their martyrdom in the afterlife. And heaven help us if the Mohammedans convert them first.

Though no milvan, new Byzantine or old roman, and a strong believer in the primacy of the Apostolic Successor of Christ who Sits In Rome, I believe this combination of marriage and conversion is one that all senators should support and I would wholeheartedly suggest my fellow Catholic Senators will join my good feeling towards these proposals.

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

##Vote Guiding Light

The tutors my father hired have made some extremely convincing arguments I think my fellow senators should hear.....

The light Of God will shine upon the empress, Insh'allah!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

## Sponsor the university construction act
## Sponsor the trilingual literacy act.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

B

And now I've caught up - rincewind this is one hell of an LP

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Or it could have been built the same way the otl canal was - huge gangs of labourers, explosives and incredible loss of life?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Ahoy my fellow senators!

## Join the Adventurer Merchants

This is the best idea for a party

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Adventurer Merchants

Man I like this system.

oh I mean aarrrrr this senate be a mighty fine meet o' strange bedfellows an' merchants.

As we sail upon the seven seas as byzantine merchant pirates, let us take this as our motto, my lads:

Absque arrrrrrrgento omnia vana

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Can we do Africa without the tired cliches of new Carthage?

A strong merchant Swahili state is likely, given that it actually happened otl and I think we can reliably assume that East African trading is strong as all hell with the ultra china.

South Africa? Well with no canal yet, it depends on whether or not we're thinking about Cape sea traffic being useful - it'd be cool to accelerate the development of South Africa as a trading port. Let's put a Chinese trading empire down there. And then let's put a ludicrously high revolt risk on all their provinces, with no cores. gently caress it, if Africa's going to play on the usual cliches - let's play with the worst one of all, explosive decolonisation events.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

AdventFalls posted:

I just thought it fitting considering this is a Rome LP. People can take the bits of mine they like.

Sorry to have been so down on it, I think because I'd been reading about the scramble for Africa, and just generally missing working out in Kenya I wanted to see indigenous African groups do well in the LP.

It always seems like eu LP mods get loads of cool ideas for china and India and America, but Africa gets 'Europeans/whoever is actually running thangs'. As my experience with EU4 is about four hours of gameplay, I don't have ideas myself, so tbh I shouldn't be ragging on yours, sorry!

I guess the counterpoint to this is grey's LP anyway.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Edit: quote =/= edit

lenoon fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 2, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Jerusalem ended horrifically, but redeemed by Pancrazio's skull, while Wiz wrote an all-too-true ending to the Hohenzollern LP:

quote:

Vézelay, Yonne, German-occupied Burgundy, April of 1968

Perched on a hill overlooking the blooming vinyards of Vézelay sits the town school. In a town of only five hundred souls, there is only need for a single teacher, whose lecturing voice can sometimes be heard all the way down by its ancient abbey on a quiet day.

Inside the school's solitary classroom, the town's children sit listening to today's history lesson. Most of them are French, but a few are German - the Mayor, the Abbot and the biggest land-owners in the town are all German immigrants.

"And in June of 1813, France's treacherous revolutionary government finally surrendered. The French army, realizing that it had been the puppet of evil men, honorably volunteered its service to fight Zuhriman, who was finally defeated a year later. Despite being honorably treated in the peace conference, the French people chose to listen to agitators and war broke out again eleven years later as Germany was forced to intervene against its will to protect Austria, which had been deviously attacked by France's ally Byzantium."

Raising his arm, the eldest son of a German farmer interrupts, "But Mrs. Clare, I thought the Byzantines were our friends and allies?"

The teacher nods thoughtfully at his question, "Yes, Fritz, they are now, but this was a long time ago, before the Greek people understood who their friends and enemies were. Back then, they were just as suspectible to agitators and revolutionaries as us French!"

A small French girl, frowning in puzzlement, comments, "But why are us French so easily fooled, Mrs. Clare? In your books, it always says that France is the aggressor, France is the revolutionary, France is allied with the enemy... how can it be that we are always in the wrong, and the Germans are always in the right?"

"Maybe we're just smarter than you are - perhaps because we do not eat frogs!" Fritz butts in, to the laughter of the German children. At the classroom door, normally so immobile that one might think him a part of the furniture, the gaze of a large German police officer slowly shifts from the French girl to the teacher, waiting for a reply.

With her smile only slipping ever so slightly, the teacher shakes her head, "No, I do not think it is related to food, Fritz. Rather, France has simply not had the fortune of being guided by so strong and wise a dynasty as our Hohenzollern rulers. France has been led by charlatans and fools, and it is only now that we can begin to realize it, thanks to our beloved Emperor, may he live forever!"

"May he live forever!" the class echoes back at her, and the officer at the door relaxes, the situation disarmed.

A bit later, the school day done, Mrs. Clare runs down the village street, in a hurry to get home. By the time she has reached the tiny townhouse she shares with her husband, he is already in uniform, his bags packed and his mobilization orders neatly folded into his front pocket.

Throwing herself into his arms, she asks with tears in her eyes, "Will you truly be alright all the way over there? Will there really be war with Japan? When will you get your first leave? Will you be back to see your child born?"

Her husband smiles, and he answers each question reassuringly, and he promises to be home to see his son born. They kiss, and he leaves on the back of a truck bound for Bordeaux.

In three months, he will be dead in the jungles of the Philippines, one of the first casualties of what would go down in history as 'a minor skirmish' between Japanese invasion forces and a German intervention force that almost led to nuclear weapons being exchanged but finally ended with Japanese withdrawal from the islands, nothing achieved on either side but a few hundred more lives lost.

And so history goes on, and leaves behind one less young man in the town of Vézelay, Yonne.

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
- Albert Einstein

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
- Plato

Fin

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Byzantine communists always have had a soft spot for their liberal forebears.

That's definitely an "as above so below" thing there

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You could go more archaic slightly, using twenties or even Edwardian women? Have them be the backward-looking fascists in terms of fashion, rather than the futurist fascists of otl. Would open up revanchist French patriots to you as a resource.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Setting different lucky nations and even console switching between nations at the beginning to give extra money or admin points gives a credible go at alt history. CK2 does enough alt history on its own usually, and EU just needs the above. Vicky does whatever the gently caress Vicky does, and it's usually normal national boundaries with utterly crazy politics. If you go in with ideas, some creative console led bonuses will get you most of the rest of the way.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ah yeah absolutely, you can create that stuff without mods (just the converter) but it's a pain in the rear end and everyone would have to do it successfully. Crusader states is so over done though, let's have alt history where the Pyrenees proved no barrier to Islamic expansion, and the caliphate took Vienna. Much more interesting effects on Europe, I think.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I can get you a fair few civilian portraits 1910-1960. Might be easier to email though or similar.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

In that case you'd think they'd be working on their force projection - naval arms race and bombers, perhaps (very roughly) analogous to the relationship between Germany and Britain from 1900-45.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The current largest factory in the world makes airplanes and employs something like 25,000 people directly. The civil service in the uk employs 400,000 and it runs everything in the country. I can't even imagine the sheer amounts of concrete produced in Athens in this one factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rince look after yourself and do whatever you've got to do with the LP.

I want to say though - you've created a world where men and women came together to fight monarchy and oppression and fascism, and won, and will win, and will build their world together for all. I thank you for it. You should be proud of that - and should remember that life imitates art. It will get better, fight and make it better. Don that Phrygian cap, cry out for liberty, freedom and Byzantium!

• Locked thread