Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Met posted:

I'm new to Survivor threads here. What exactly is going on in these gifs and how are they related to Survivor?

Survivor sometimes shows gross poo poo for no reason at all. These are two of those times.

Someone post spiders.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I would say over 50% of the sports world know who Jimmy Johnson is, 15% Jeff Kent, <5% Clifford Robinson, and <1% know what a David Samson is. Unless you get played in a Academy Award-nominated movie by Brad Pitt, club presidents/general managers/behind the scenes guys are far less visible than players and coaches.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 27, 2014

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Why did Jeff give them regional tribe names if he's not going to use them?

Because there will be a tribal switch later on

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Ahahaha Tony is the best character already

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I feel like Tony might be a medivac. They usually don't subtitle moments like this unless the injury is significant

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
YESESSSSSSSSS

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
One of the best premieres episodes ever?

edit: AND HE WENT HOME WITH AN IDOL IN HIS POCKET :laffo:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Why is everyone on this show always so dumb? :(

because smart, competent people are loving boring

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Most absurd Survivor moment since Manono went to tribal council even after winning immunity?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Saw this on twitter and now I can't un-see it

https://twitter.com/sungkang/status/439759596828114944

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
They set up a Jefra boot pretty well, but Morgan might make sense too. LJ or Brice would be very surprising but not completely stunning, while they'd probably show more of Alexis or Jeremiah if they were on the hook today

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
This is a pretty lame misdirect so far

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Dammit Brice had twice as much personality as the rest of the tribe combined

DurosKlav posted:

I cant to see what weird rear end poo poo the Brawn tribe pulls out at their first tribal.

Brawn is so going to win every challenge then completely fall apart at the merge Tandang style

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

freehotel posted:

They did that. Jayson in Samoa, Russell's first season, was a varsity swimmer or whatever. Not everytjing is racist. People are so eager to look for racial slights they will find whatever they can, real or otherwise.

One black guy on Survivor who can swim does not invalidate all the other moments we've had such as Gervase swimming terribly (twice), Osten nearly drowning, Cliff/Brice sitting out this year, or many other moments that I can't remember off the top of my head. If you believe that's cherry-picking, Jaison himself mentioned that he was surprised that Mick picked him to swim because of the stereotype that black people can't swim, which proves that at the very least it has some sort of psychological significance to the castaways involved.

The black people can't swim thing is weird but I don't think the optics of that are anywhere near as bad as the angry black woman archetype which people like Vecepia and Sabrina have spoken about as frustrating for them to see on the show; the trend of black women being very early boots doesn't look good either.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I actually thought this was a little exaggerated. Like we have no idea why Brice and Cliff sat out. Its the stereotype that's making you say "its because there's a stereotype that black people can't swim." Unless I missed something the two of them never actually said they couldn't. Cliff in particular is a middle aged guy with a pot belly. Make him white and he's still the most likely guy on paper to sit out a challenge that has you swim a long distance, climb a big wall, and then swim back. Maybe he's a weak swimmer on top of that but that seems like an assumption people are making. Like until I read this thread when I saw Cliff sit all I said was "yeah, oldest, heaviest guy makes sense." Then I get in here and see all the "black people can't swim" stuff and that's the first I even wondered if he couldn't swim.

Outside of Osten and Gervase are there really a lot of clear examples of black Survivors not being able to swim? There's not at on of black Survivors but there's usually at least two per season. If just a few incidents stand out then it seems like cherry picking to me.

Brice went on Survivor Live and said he could swim, but everyone on his tribe said they were lifeguards so he was like I'll pass. Maybe it's the first time you wondered it, but a lot of people's minds jumped to that black people can't swim stereotype immediately. Aras mentioned it on RHAP. Brice did on Survivor Live, Tasha mentioned it pre-season.

Other black people on Survivor (besides Osten and Gervase) that couldn't swim or were really bad at it: Sean from Marquesas, Russell from Samoa/Philippines, James from 3 seasons, Cirie, Phillip, Rebecca from Cook Islands. iirc RC also made Artis swim in front of her to prove that he knew how to swim

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Okay Beautry tribe I'm sorry for saying you guys were boring. You guys brought the gently caress outta the unintentional comedy in that scene

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Ugh its so obvious that Brawn is going to lose from the editing

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Ugh its so obvious that Brawn is going to lose from the editing

wellp i'm an idiot

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Woo was obviously playing to the majority and said as much but he also clearly had no reservations at all about cutting Cliff's throat. And I think people are just projecting what they want to on him as far as throwing the challenge. Maybe he loved the idea, maybe he didn't, but he went along with it and it sure seemed to be working. Sarah wasn't exactly giddy about throwing it either. If I remember correctly Brawn got all their balls last and they couldn't never get them. What saved Brawn was that Cliff wasn't throwing it and had the obvious advantage in that last part of the challenge where he blew Spencer away.

WOO ‏@YungWoo23 11h
Not everyone was trying to throw that challenge ;) 6 Brawn Strong!

I think Woo played it as well as he could have. He told Sarah what she wanted to hear, but did his best in the challenge to ensure that Brawn didn't go to tribal.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
It didn't help them much because they were outnumbered after the merge but I still maintain that Peih-Gee and Jaime throwing a challenge to get rid of one of Aaron and James in China was a smart move, even if Jeff was furious at them for doing so.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Everyone likes Amazon and Pearl Islands; watch them first. I'd throw Micronesia into that mix too and maaybe Philippines as well. After that is where it gets more murky; seasons like Australia, Marquesas, Palau, Guatemala, Cook Islands, and Samoa are pretty well regarded but have their fair share of critics.

On the other hand, seasons that most people believe are terrible: Thailand, Fiji, Nicaragua, Redemption Island, One World. Redemption Island is the weird one; some people like it but many others think it's actually the worst season of all.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

paperchaseguy posted:

Fiji was an uneven, but ultimately rewarding season. Lots of hilarious moments and drama. Don't sell it short just because a large percentage of the cast was unlikable.

Point taken, but that's a minority opinion. Everyone from Jeff Probst to Survivor Sucks to Dalton Ross to reddit to Survivor Oz (now there's a cross-section of Survivor opinions if I've ever saw one) ranks Fiji as one of the worst seasons ever. So hey, I wouldn't recommend it to a relatively new viewer just because there's a pretty good chance he or she won't like it as much as some of the other seasons out there.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
TRIBAL SWITCH THAT WAS SPOILED BY THE PROMOS WOOHOOO

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

Is this the soonest they've merged tribes?

No they merged tribes in episode 2 in Panama. They usually shuffle people after 4 or 6people have been voted out, so this isnt a surprise at all

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

Episode 2? How did that happen?

This shuffle doesn't look random to me.

Err not a merge my bad. Been awake 24 hours. Tribal swap; It was 16 people divided into 4 tribes of 4: Old Men, Young Men, Young Women, and Old Women. Really pointless.

This is like the 4th shuffle in a row where the tribes are completely physically mismatched. (One World, Caramoan, Blood vs. Water too)

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
This is completely unfair LOL

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I feel like that was a best of 5 or best of 7 (Kass, Woo, a bunch of other people didn't go at all) and they just cut it to 3 on TV because it was such complete and utter domination

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Brains final three like Spencer said in the beginning of the ep, calling it now.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Tony is like the Iceland coach at the end of D2 Mighty Ducks

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
My prediction: LJ 4 votes, Cliff 3, LJ plays idol, Cliff goes home

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
:siren: Dalton Ross @DaltonRoss :siren:
We're going to break some very interesting #Survivor news around 9:30 this morning on @EWlive

He says it's not that Survivor is being renewed. WHAT COULD IT BE

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
need a gif of LJ slipping asap

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Poque posted:

I would be totally fine with a Brains + Sarah final four.

Ehh that would mean a Pagonging. I'm hoping for some crazy shenanigans like a 1 brain, 1 beauty, 1 brawn in final three

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Unmerciful posted:

Wow I felt really really bad after that Alexis thing - it was like a depressing and way less funny version of what Kat said

Kat Edorsson ‏@KatEdorsson 2m
Yes Alexis, I will date you. #Survivor

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I would have booted Alexis too. She could talk strategy, whereas Jeremiah couldn't talk his way out of being bamboozled by a clown cop. Alexis is more dangerous and made it clear she was hella tight with Jefra and LJ; Jeremiah is not gonna do poo poo to rock the boat.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Why do you hate saying it? Palau's pretty well-regarded. Can't think of many gripes fans would have about it, aside from Jonathan and Wanda getting screwed.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Spencer is getting a ton of support on here and reddit because he is easy for them to identify with. young, male, white, nerdy, snarky in the way you get when you spend too much time on the internet.

I like him too but comments like "he's the only interesting/competent character this season" are not accurate and does a disservice to other players this season who have done just as well if not better such as LJ and Tasha.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Joose Caboose posted:

Finishing up the few seasons I never saw (Fiji, Gabon, Tocantins) and going through Fiji right now cause I always heard it was one of worst seasons so wanted to get it out of way. So far, it hasn't been nearly as bad I anticipated - clearly nowhere near as bad as the Nicaragua/One World type seasons. Though I could see it being very forgettable. The Alex/Mookie/Edgardo trio did get pretty annoying with their smugness. Also, now I see when what people mean when they talk about the Earl edit - it's definitely very heavy throughout the season.

Couple questions:
Was there some sort of backlash around this time about Survivor not having enough minorities? Because there are so many more in this season than any other I can remember, and not that that's a problem - but I was surprised. I know I read that this is the season that every single player except one was recruited so I guess that can explain it.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows how many seasons were won by recruits rather than actual fans that applied? Not sure if there's a list anywhere of who were recruits.

The context is that season 12 (Panama) had a tribe (La Mina) that was all lily white and the optics looked pretty bad and they were getting some criticism, so Survivor infamously divided the season 13 (Cook Islands) tribes into 4 races. Then to show that it wasn't a one-season gimmick, they cast 5 whites/5 blacks/5 hispanics/5 asians again for Fiji (14), then went back to the old ways after that :shrug:

There's an unofficial recruit/applicant list on Sucks for seasons 1 through 19 here:
http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/topic/61049

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 29, 2014

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Jeremiah is by far the smartest person in this strategic conversation :lol:

I'm impressed he figured out LJ had the idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007