Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's because the gimmick will probably only last 2 episodes

Yeah, it may as well be a regular season of survivor without a gimmick. There seem to be fairly smart people in the brawn/beauty teams, the brawn team isn't as brawny as it could be, and the brain team isn't as brainy as it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Clamknuckle posted:

This man/woman knows his/her stuff.

Oh please, Sandra is the ultimate Mr Magoo survivor.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Gotta feel for Spencer, stuck on a tribe with these chucklefucks. Eliminate the strongest person on your team. Keep the psycho person who destroyed all the rice, is incredibly bossy, sucks at challenges etc etc. Garrett made some massive noob mistakes that are surprising for someone who is a poker player who apparently spent ages studying Survivor and was super whiny about the survival aspect... but come on.

It was pretty dumb that Spencer seemed to think David had the idol, but I'm pretty sure we only heard him say that when speaking to Garrett? It's totally conceivable he was saying that the Garrett in an attempt to trick him into saying he had the idol. Because the same "early person voted out goes to camps and gets HII clue" has happened before, in Africa for example. If Spencer is a student of the game like he claims, he would know that.

What an incredible implosion.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Its his own drat fault to be honest.

Nope. Garrett already had 3. It was go along with him or draw rocks... in the first vote. Choosing to draw rocks this early on would have been terrible strategy (though retrospectively probably better in this particular instance).

Gotta say I'm kind of annoyed for whoever posted that tweet without spoilers, because it does indicate a likely path for what happens with Spencer. When in doubt, spoiler. Come on people.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

I think it's just really hard to find nerds that have any... fortitude. You can't be all "ugh sunlight, I'm dying" or "wow are people judging me?" in a game like this. You have to be a brick wall with a decent fake personality that people like.

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

The reason we are seeing this "brain team" self-destruct, with members who are intelligent but have no street smarts etc is precisely because that's the story the producers wanted to tell. They deliberately picked people they thought would conform to stereotypes about intelligent people. It doesn't confirm the stereotypes, it's just selection bias.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

IRQ posted:

He was a law student, which is by definition insane, or at the very least poor decision making.

In what sense? He was Harvard Law, right? I'm pretty sure that the prospects for law graduates of Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Stanford are exceedingly good. On average you could probably say that going to law school is indicative of poor decision making given how incredibly competitive and oversaturated the market is, but if you're a graduate of one of the four above programs you've pretty much got it made.

If you're talking about things other than compensation, well that's subjective I guess.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

How about we don't spoil other shows/book series in a Survivor thread?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

IRQ posted:

Caution: spoilers from the same era of what was posted.

:siren: Bill Clinton wins reelection. :siren:

On topic, how did the US never try a celebrity version of Survivor? I mean I know that Help I'm a Celebrity blah blah show existed, but that was one of those garbage basic cable networks wasn't it?

Because spoilers from a currently airing show are the same as something that happened in the 90s :thumbsup:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In the early game, everyone tells everyone (whenever some people happen to be around and others aren't) that they should ally against the people who aren't there and that they should do so is "obvious". I don't really think anything more can be read into that.

Plus, I think "all guy alliance" or "all girl alliance" is just as hosed up a concept as "all white alliance" etc, but Survivor watchers have just been desensitised to that happening and so it's apparently totally ok now.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jeff's questioning of Spencer made me think that if Spencer had been eliminated, he would have been a lock for being a returnee in a future season.

But really, I'm hoping that this season makes the producers realise we don't need returnees. I'm honestly fine with 4/5 seasons of new players, then maybe a season of all-stars. Having most seasons have members (or tribes) that are returnees is dumb.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

We have a consensus, right? That J'Tia is literally the worst survivor to have ever played the game? There have been some awful players in the past, but they generally get the boot really quickly. This season J'Tia somehow managed to survive for more than one episode and so had more opportunity to demonstrate her awfulness than anyone ever before.

* Started out super bossy.
* Had a plan for a shelter that didn't work.
* Has almost single-handedly been the cause for her team losing in every challenge she participated in.
* Burned all the rice and generally showed herself to be completely unstable.

Surely she must be the worst ever. Never before have we seen the perfect storm of actively harmful in challenges (like, she was literally worse than useless; the brain tribe would have done better in every challenge if she hadn't been there and were competing with a small team), completely useless when doing chores around camp, crazy enough to dump all the rice, unaware enough to be bossy right from the get go etc.

Absolutely amazing.

It's also pretty amazing how the casting obviously went for two cop stereotypes. We've got the Vic Mackey type who doesn't care about the rules and seems ok with bashing in a few heads, then we have the absolute cop loyalty stereotype. Like, Sarah is interesting in how much she seems to have bought into the cop "cult" (for lack of a better term). She can't even conceive of the idea that the guy who lied to her for ages about being a cop could be lying to her about other things. Nope, he's a cop and cops ALWAYS stick together LALALALALALALALALALA can't hear your counterarguments.

Being a cop is obviously a really important part of her self-image. Unfortunately she doesn't seem able to recognise that other cops may not view their cop status in the same way, and it's going to sink her. Or forunately, depending on perspective. It's pretty hilarious how she is being manipulated.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 13, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

This season is great so far. LJ, Spencer, and Kass seem like the most savvy players.

Kass isn't remotely close to being savvy. She told J'Tia to her face in the first episode that she was the one going home, which caused her to scramble. Never telling someone they are going home (especially when they are as insane as J'Tia) is Survivor 101. Likewise, choosing to get rid of Garrett was super dumb. He certainly did some dumb things, but... J'Tia. He also should have been kept in order to win challenges.

Spencer is the only player on the brain tribe that knows what he's doing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mancalamania posted:

All that said, I think Tasha and Kass are both very bright and I think they are much better players than Spencer. Spencer does have his head in the game and his snarky confessionals are amusing, but he's also pretty bad at the social game and also a bit delusional. "These women have driven the tribe into the ground by voting out two men" is pretty boneheaded and misogynistic, given that he voted one of those men out and they also had their two best challenge performances right after voting out their buffest guy.

He only voted David out because the numbers were against him. He would have either have had to go against the numbers and try to convince people to change their minds (very damaging to his position if he is unsuccessful), or draw rocks. Either position should be avoided at all costs in the early game. It's the same reason Woo said he was willing to turn against Cliff if that's the way the wind is blowing.

I also don't think Spencers view is misogynistic; it's just true in this case that the women of the brain tribe are absolutely terrible at challenges and had no potential for being useful in winning immunity. It doesn't mean he thinks it's true in general. J'Tia, Kass and Tasha suck in challenges, and Garrett wouldn't have. There's no reason to see anything more than that.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Or Garrett could have done the typical "over-muscled dude withering when he has no food" thing that frequently occurs on this show. There is no guarantee the presence of Garrett would have changed those challenge outcomes. Especially when it's been pointed out several times that ALL of them were contributing to losing those challenge with J'tia just being a really obvious shitbird amongst a team of them.

Honestly, I'm really impressed with Tasha and Kass. They were put in a really lovely situation after the first vote because it was obvious that Spencer and Garrett had already picked a boot order and they were on the losing side of it. They didn't want J'tia but they needed her to stay in the game...and it's working so far. They are both playing a very Sandra-like game, moving alliances freely, playing each vote as best they can... which means half this thread is going to go apeshit if one of them wins.

EDIT: I predict the two of them are going to do very well in the merge when the other teams all pull out the knives trying to vote out their former teammates.

The boot order for the initial tribe in a 3-tribe game doesn't matter too much when a two tribe merge is almost guaranteed at some point. Not actually losing as a tribe is WAY more important than having a good position in the boot order, because going into the two tribe merge with numbers is more important than the boot order in a very early alliance that is likely to change later anyway.

Tasha and Kass have just been blundering their way through so far, making some pretty terrible choices. Luckily for them, it seems to be working out, at least for now.

I definitely agree with the Sandra comparison, but not for the reason you do...

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mancalamania posted:

This isn't true at all, since in a 3 tribe game the decimated tribe can easily act as kingmaker at the merge. There have only been 2 other 3 tribe seasons, and both saw members from the worst tribe go fairly far in the game because one of the bigger tribes needs to allign with them to get a majority. That's why 3 tribe games are so interesting, it's no longer as simple as one tribe picking off another because they don't have the numbers to do that.

This isn't true at all, since being a kingmaker isn't a strong position. The decimated tribe may help one of the two larger tribes to vote out the other, but they are extremely likely to be eliminated as soon as that's done, since they aren't part of the core alliance (an example of this on a smaller scale is Jeremiah, who was the "kingmaker" in the last beauty elimination; he may have had that role in that vote, but if we imagine the game was just that beauty tribe, he'd be the first to go after he helped eliminate Morgan). Being one of the bigger groups is a much more favorable position than being the kingmaker group, and so the premerge strategy should be to ensure that this happens. This happens by keeping the tribe strong and not losing numbers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

...and yet one of the two players from the decimated tribe last time did...hmm what was it?.....oh thats right! She won the loving game. AND the other person on that tribe was only eliminated because his former tribemate (the winner) voted him off. The two of them lasted until the endgame part of the season. Literally, of the two times this have ever happened, one of the times that person on the losing tribe won the whole thing. Making any calls about the "smart" way to play a three tribe game is incredibly pre-mature because three tribe games are really weird, and season after season has shown smart players from "losing" tribes go all the way to the end (and win!).

EDIT: For every Kim, Sophie, and Todd there is a Natalie, Earl, and Denise.

This is a single data point. You don't need to restrict yourself to only looking at three tribe seasons to see the viability of the strategy you're encouraging (kingmaker decimated tribe), because for all intents and purposes it is the same as a kingmaker individual or small group at the final merge (or if there are splintered alliances in the smaller individual tribes). They are used by the larger alliances when they are necessary to have the numbers, but once the alliance they joined has the numbers without their help, they are the first to go. This has happened much more frequently than the Denise/Malcolm scenario.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

xbilkis posted:

It is different in a three-tribe season though, because you're likely to end up with basically 2 smaller alliances within each tribe. In this season, you've got:

Jeremiah/LJ/Alexis/Jefra
Tony/Sarah/Trish(/Woo?)
Tasha/Kass(/Spencer?)
Cliff/Lindsey(/Woo?)
Morgan
Spencer?

Two minority alliances linking up is a lot more likely to be successful under these circumstances, not to mention the potential for swapping alliances later in the season.

Right, but you're projecting what we know onto the players in the brain tribe, who don't know anything about the dynamics of the other tribe. There's no reason that the members of the brain tribe should suspect that the other tribes have numerous small alliances, particularly because a large majority alliance in an initial small tribe is beneficial; it's unlikely that Brawn or Beauty will go to tribal that often in their current form, and so making as many people feel they are part of the "in" group is beneficial since it gives the alliance a greater chance at having a majority when it comes to the merge. If every alliance is at most 3/4 people, there's never going to be a majority at the merge. Since an alliance should be aiming at having a majority at merge, it would make much more sense for alliances in the other tribes to consist of everyone but one or two people, who the larger group agree will be booted if they happen to get eliminated. This isn't the case here, but the remaining brain tribe have no reason to suspect it's not the case.

quote:

His worst move was probably, like, not voting out J'Tia the first round?

He wanted to. There were 3 votes against David lined up. It was either make a strong argument for changing the groups decision in the very first vote, or risk drawing rocks. Either strategy is insane (in principle, though admittedly things would have probably worked out better for him had he done one of these) because you don't want to risk an elimination in the first round if you can avoid it by changing your vote, and you don't want to muscle a potential majority alliance either. So he went with the flow.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

This season will be a clusterfuck. I know some people hate these types of seasons, but I'm greatly enjoying it.

Agreed that everyone thinks they're Playing for Day 39 - and not realizing that oftentimes its best to play Day Ten like its Day Ten.

The funny thing is, they aren't even playing well for day 39. Everyone is all "have to get rid of Cliff, he'll be a challenge monster!", but they are wrong. Massive guys aren't challenge monsters in Survivor anymore because so many individual immunity challenges are based on the weight of the participants, and the square-cube law fucks over massive guys like Cliff. Based on fitness and build, Woo is the one who is the potential challenge monster. But since pre-merge immunity challenges are often purely strength based, they've just voted out their most valuable team member.

I'm curious to see what happens with the brain tribe now in a position of power. I don't think Spencer is going to be able to help himself, and he'll end up choosing to go with Morgan. But strategically it's probably the best decision anyway, since she doesn't have allies in the beauty tribe wheras the others do. But she was the only one who didn't approach the brain tribe straight up this episode, so the brain tribe may not be willing to go with someone who didn't approach them instead of one of the two who did. Really though, the best move would be to ally, even in name only, with both Morgan and Jeremiah. Morgan has no allies, and Jeremiah was on the outs (and Morgan would obviously turn against him if asked to by Spencer and co.). In terms of going into the merge strong, an alliance of 5 rather than 4 is a good idea.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Toaster Ding posted:

I don't know why everyone considers not flipping on your alliance and not throwing a challenge to be some sort of strategic move. That's basic don't rock the boat common sense. Woo may turn out to be a somebody as the game goes on, but as it stands now he's a mid-tier coaster who may or may not be good at individual challenges if he gets that far.
He seems like a great guy to get a beer with. I'm not betting on him being a Survivor mastermind.

His look of surprise when Cliff got the vote was pretty hilarious though. I really hope he goes far since he genuinely seems to enjoy Survivor, which is something that always makes me like a player.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

LeJackal posted:

I don't drink beer, which sort of unravels the entire experience at the get-go.

They falsely believe that without the interfering hands of their production assistants, humans would fail to generate any interpersonal drama. They are wrong, but that doesn't stop them from interfering in the most obnoxious and obvious ways.

Aren't there absolutely massive penalties for direct interference in reality tv? Or is that just gameshows (I would have thought something like Survivor would fall under the purview of "gameshow"). They CAN do things like select to have contestants perform challenges which certain people are very likely to win, and manipulate things to a great extent in similar ways, but I suspect it's highly illegal to do something like rigging the members of the new tribe.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The only aspect of intelligence survivor puzzles really test is spatial reasoning, and that's not something that's really associated with "smart people" in general. Because of this, I'd suspect that artists (on average) would be better at survivor puzzles than, say, professors of engineering.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

Engineering prof is a bad example, but a lawyer, programmer, business executive, or MLB general manager wouldn't necessarily be expected to do puzzles well. Auto mechanics should ace them.

Also, I think the composition of the Brains tribe was really flawed. They had positions of prestige (lawyer! poker player!), but those professions don't necessarily require you to be smart. I was honestly floored that their average IQ was so low. Since IQ tests spatial reasoning ability, a brainy tribe with a high average IQ really should be good at those stupid goddamn puzzles.

I used engineering professor as an example because my undergrad was in electrical engineering and didn't really involve much in the way of spatial reasoning. I'd say that the same is true for most engineering disciplines with the exception of mechanical engineering (and possibly some aspects of civil).

Their average IQ was 130, which puts them in approximately the top 2%. While not super high, that's not exactly shabby (their average would qualify for MENSA for example).

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just make sure to avoid reading the OP, especially the section that recommends what seasons to watch. It's full of tons of spoilers as to what happens in the seasons it's recommending as well as future seasons you aren't even reading about. When I started watching Survivor (about 23 seasons had aired at that point) I made the mistake of reading that list and had so many cool moments spoiled. It really should be removed from the OP, I think (the idea of a season recommendation list is a good one, but a list that has comments that amount to "watch this season so you can see person x win" and "this person sucks this season but SPOILER; they return in a future season and DO REALLY WELL hint hint" shouldn't be used to encourage people to watch the show).

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Morgan is a bad player and not coming off like much of a better personality.

I think she's just had some bad luck, there's nothing really to indicate that she's a bad player. The lie about the choice between idol clue and shelter was a pretty good one, and her throwing Jeremiah under the bus as soon as they got back from tribal that one time was pretty smart. She's been unlucky that the numbers just didn't go her way, but I wouldn't call her a bad player (at least from what we've seen so far). Not fantastic, but not bad.

As for the personality thing, the only thing that's been sketchy thus far was her "he's not even that beautiful" comment, but given the circumstances it's hard to really know how indicative that is of her personality.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

How excited was she to see LJ and Jefra still alive?

Yeah, this is what sunk her. As soon as she had that reaction publicly I knew she was done. May as well say how happy she was that her previous alliance that she wanted to return to was still intact.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

BGrifter posted:

That clip alone should have secured Tony a spot on All Stars.

Tony's not someone who could ever do well on an All Stars/as a returnee, since his game requires the people around him to not understand what he is actually like. It's the same reason Russell went down in flames in Redemption Island and why he'd never be remotely successful in another season of Survivor; the people he was playing with had seen him in previous seasons (the only reason Russel got far in two seasons was because they were back to back and so the HvV contestants hadn't seen his performance in the prior season).

If Tony returns, everyone's going to know he's full of poo poo and won't fall for anything he says, making him a boring castaway who'll get the axe sooner than later.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

maniacripper posted:

Why would they even cast 2 cops for the show? Let alone put them on the same tribe.

The camaraderie that exists in the profession is pretty much unmatched save a select few others.

Maybe that's why, to see what would happen? I dunno I guess we'll find out.

I think they chose two very different kinds of cop. The superloyal cop who's main self-identity in life is being a cop, and the "guy you wouldn't be particularly surprised to find out is crooked" cop. I think the crooked cop streamrolling the loyal cop is exactly the story they were going for.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

blue squares posted:

I thought so too, but then he didn't do it against Woo the second time, which really puzzled me. I wonder if Jeff told them they couldn't?

If your opponent has good reflexes, they can just throw their idol in the air after you do, meaning you'll lose because yours will hit the ground first. So it's only really useful the first time (when you can take the opponent by surprise), or if you can do it when you're close enough that they won't be able to respond. Woo was just too quick that Spencer didn't have the chance.

RE: Spencer, I think a major reason is that he seems like a genuine Survivor fan. So often (particularly in Fan vs. Favourites seasons) we've seen people claim to be big survivor fans but make incredibly elementary mistakes (Garrett is a good example of this). Spencer talked big in his promos, but people like him because he's not just all talk.

I know people think it's just a goon-thing projecting themselves onto him like with Cochran (who I thought was thoroughly "meh" in both seasons anyway), but I don't think it is. People are rooting for him because he's playing the mastermind with the right mind set; he nudges people in the direction he wants them to go and lets them believe it's their own decision, and then laughs at them in their confessionals rather than in their face (which has been the downfall of many a would be mastermind). While he misread Jeremiah, his interpretation wasn't necessarily the wrong one given the information he had (after all, doing what Tony did was a moment of genius). I'm not really sure what people are saying about him misreading Alexis though, he was totally correct in his decision. She undoubtedly would have flipped in a merge, it was possible that Jeremiah had an idol (with Spencer assuming the clue given by Tony was genuine) and they don't yet have the numbers of split the vote, and she was also a week challenge competitor (better than Kass and perhaps Tasha, but they are part of his alliance, so) who might cause more eliminations before the merge.

Now what I really don't understand is people saying Kass and Tasha have game. Kass is terrible at Survivor (hey crazy person, I'm telling you right to your face that we're voting you out!!) and has just lucked into her position thus far (so I agree that the Sandra comparison is apt), and Tasha almost destroyed the brain tribe by taking so long to turn against J'Tia who she allied with for no discernible reason.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

We've been over this so I don't want to harp on it but Tasha had a very clear reason to ally with J'Tia. She correctly surmised that Garrett, Spencer, and Kass were allied against them and that left her as the next logical target if J'Tia went. Backing J'Tia and trying to flip Kass was an obvious play to survive deeper into the game and theoretically worked. We have no idea how the Brains would have performed with Garrett replacing J'Tia but its safe to say if the Brains had lost another challenge she would have been on the line.

I see what you're saying, but I think this is playing for day 39 on day 3 (a mistake the thread has accused many of the castaways of doing this season). Focusing so much on the boot order of the initial tribe in a three tribe game that is likely to have a 2-tribe merge then a single merge is a huge mistake. I think this is especially true when improving your position in that boot order (that will change as new alliances are made through tribe swaps, merges etc) comes at the cost of keeping the worst castaway in the history of the show around, inevitably leading to losing immunity constantly. Having numbers before going into a tribe swap or merge is much more important than the pre-swap/merge boot order. You're right in that Tasha would have gone pretty quickly from the brains, but it was still a mistake on her part since her actions essentially resulted in the tribe getting whittled down to 3 people which in the vast majority of possible scenarios (though extremely luckily for them, not the scenario that actually occurred) would be extremely disadvantageous. It's much better to be no. 5 of a group that has the numbers to make it to the final 5 than no. 1/2 of a small group that is unlikely to.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So Kass gave up a likely position in the top 3 for... being 6 in a 6 person alliance? So stupid.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Spencer did nothing of note this whole season, except winning a vote against a crazy person. He is great in counting votes ("we have 6 they have 5, we win") but I did not see any great gameplay from him beyond having the numbers and not pulling a stupid move. He had Kass flip on him not once but twice, which is not really the sign of a great player, he voted out David at the first tribal because he was a "threat down the road" which, as always, led to more tribals for his tribe.

But his edit is incredibly good so he might come back because clearly the producers like him.

He had Kass flip on him twice because Kass is so unpredictably stupid. I don't think he can be blamed for not considering that Kass would jump from top 3 guaranteed to the bottom of 6 person alliance; what she did was so dumb there was no predicting it, especially since Spencer wasn't around to see Kass flip out at Sarah. I think Tasha probably should have said to Kass explicitly at some point that "we are doing what Sarah wants because we need her vote just this once", though it was so incredibly obvious that it's unbelievable that Kass didn't pick that up anyway.

As for Spencer and David at the first tribal, he had no choice. The numbers were against him. His options were to try to convince everyone to change their votes (and thus be seen as controlling; a huge mistake so early on) or to draw rocks. Either option was crazy talk, so he went with the flow.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Honestly I just hope that the awesomeness of this season (I mean, this is the best pre-merge/first episode of merge we've had in like, at least 10 seasons right?) means that we don't get returning players at all, and CBS continues to go with seasons with entirely new players, even though I do enjoy some of the characters from this season. I don't mind returnee seasons every 7-8 seasons or so, but have a returnee or three every season is complete bullshit, since the seasons just focus too heavily on them. Fans vs. favourites also just doesn't work, the fans just get crushed against people who've played before, and pregame alliances just remove so much of the on your feet strategy. HvV was easily the best returnee season concept we've seen though, I don't really see them topping that. The only other concept that could be interesting was a winners only season, but again I think pregame alliances would ruin things.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Having 2 or 3 returning players is usually fine, but they don't add enough intrigue to balance the risk of Rob/Coach cults or idiots overreacting like Russell's Redemption Island tribe.

The problem is that the games basically orbit around the returning players and the new players don't get a chance to shine. I think all new players is the best, followed by all returning players. Having mixes is never good, it just creates unbalanced or uninteresting games.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Bounce Tony and it's 4-4-1 with Kass in the middle. It was 5-4-1 this week. If Kass flipped this week it would just force a tie, but next week she could swing the vote if the idol was correctly played on Morgan.

If Kass flipped this week she could have told them who was being voted for, Spencer could have played the Idol on them, and they'd go into next week with a 5-4 advantage.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Tony is Survivor magic. If anyone from this season appears on the next Survivor: All Stars (which hopefully is not far away), Tony has to be their no. 1 pick from this season. Comedy option: have Sarah return as well in the same season. :allears:

If anything, this season being so great is exactly why we should hope that the next Survivor: All Stars is very far way.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm hoping for more than just a couple of newbie seasons before the next all stars.

What I really want to see is a season where every single castaway is a prospective "Brain tribe" member. It's not even that they all have to be smart (I mean, we've seen pretty clearly this season that not all of the brain tribe members were particularly smart in a Survivor strategy sense), they just need to think that they are smart. Because smart people on Survivor often can't help themselves in overplaying due to a supreme belief in their own intelligence, and a season where almost every player overplays would be a gigantic clusterfuck... and therefore awesome.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mancalamania posted:

It's because when most people come up with a bad, counterintuitive idea they can realize it and abandon the idea, but when people who think they are smart come up with the same idea they convince themselves they have thought of a clever, outside-the-box idea.

That's why I was confused that everyone here and even on the show was so surprised by the Brains making weird moves, since it completely matches all my experiences with people who are told they are smart in real life (i.e. all of academia).

Survivor:Grad Student Edition would be an amazing example. You could divide groups up by discipline, which would create interesting situations (because every discipline seems to mock every other discipline for whatever reason), or by current school, or by alma matter (since that might mean stronger loyalty) etc.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Aerox posted:

It's not a particularly interesting season of Survivor, but it was at least better than Redemption Island.

The concept of Redemption Island has and always will suck, but I enjoyed watching it. I don't think any other castaway had (or ever will have) as much cult inducing charisma as Boston Rob had. Dude could make everyone on his alliance believe without a doubt that they were the "special" person in the larger alliance who he'd take to the end. Watching him dominate everyone was fun, even though it was predictable. Him throwing a clue in the volcano is one of the best Survivor moments ever.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

As much as I've been enjoying Tony this season, the Tyler Perry Idol made me like him a little less, just because it's such an over-powered game changer.

Yeah, it seems like they were expecting a lovely season (no returning players, of course it's going to be a lovely season says Jeff) and so pre-planned to have this idol get put into play to make things interesting. Of course, it's had the exact opposite effect. It really sucks, because it has such a high chance of ruining the remainder of the season.

It's really mind boggling that Jeff Probst can host and be a producer on the show for 28 seasons and yet, when it comes down to it, have such a poor idea of what makes a season of survivor good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Joose Caboose posted:

but instead it was just hey I've done this poo poo wrong a few times so let me use my unprecedented experience to dominate a bunch of newbies.

I don't know that he ever really "got poo poo wrong" though, winning Survivor requires a lot of luck. He was eliminated in Marquesas because of bad tribe mixing luck and he was in control of the villains in HvV and probably would have stayed so had Tyson not been a complete moron who didn't understand vote splitting (Rob explained it to Tyson a number of times in the episode; there's no way he could have predicted Tyson's stupidity, just like Tasha and Spencer can't be blamed for not seeing Kass's incredibly stupid move coming). Then we have All-Stars, where he potentially (depending on your level of cynicism) made the most manipulative Survivor move ever (post game even!), by proposing to Amber before the results were read (so Amber, not knowing who would win, has a very strong incentive to say yes) thereby guaranteeing he gets access to the money regardless of who actually won.

You're right in that Redemption Island is just him schooling a bunch of newbies, but it's not because he eventually figured out how to win after bungling 3 previous attempts. It's because Boston Rob is one of if not the best castaways to ever play the game.

• Locked thread