Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

Also if you don't appreciate Chris Ayres' fantastic performance as Frieza then you can go to straight to hfil

Never heard this VA, but I like it better than the original 'old woman who has smoked nonstop for 40 years' version.

It pales in comparison to Littlekuriboh's version in DBZ Abridged, though. That fucker nailed Freeza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

It was mentioned a bunch in the previous thread, but the real "Wow...this IS Freeza" moment was:

"Oh, no no no. Please. Give me some ideas."

That was bar none one of the best-delivered lines in any voice acted work I've ever seen. You could just feel the malice dripping off of it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

*With the power of friendship :colbert:

And he was the entire reason the spirit bomb got charged up enough to kill Kid Buu. Goku didn't kill him - he got an assist. :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

tsob posted:

I wonder how Team Four Star are going to handle SSJ3 in a few years time when they get to that point? Will it just take up an entire episode by itself with nothing but reaction faces and silly comments by the cast? Or will someone else distract Buu in Goku's place while Goku spends several episodes powering up, the camera cutting to him still doing so once or twice an episode, everything solved by the time he finally finishes. Cannot wait to find out just what they do with that bit in particular. That and Gohan going SSJ2 are probably the bits to most look forward to.

As fun as a drawn out "Sorry that took so long" joke would be, one of the basic conceits of an Abridged series is that it keeps the plot intact while shortening it and making jokes about it. If we see something like that, it will be executed in a way that won't affect the plot or pacing. And it sure as hell won't take place over several episodes.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Hmm, Krillin was probably dead for less time than Vegeta was in the Buu saga, lets put him in the running for best Dad. Though I don't know how good of a parent one could possibly be letting your daughter live in the same house as Master Roshi and Oolong, but 18 probably has put the fear of god into the more lecherous residents.

I'd say it's a guarantee that the other Kame House residents live in fear of 18. Even after she chills out post-Cell saga she seems like the type that wouldn't hesitate to end anyone who so much as looks at her little girl the wrong way.

It really is :unsmith: that Krillin managed to get the biggest catch of a wife in the world. Guy deserved it after all the poo poo he takes over the course of the series.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

Wasn't there a scene where she gave him a peck on the cheek before her official hero-turn? I like the idea of the counter getting confused at that point.

Krillin got owned. But an attractive woman willingly kissed him. ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE

If I'm not mistaken, it should happen in the next Abridged episode when Krillin is left pissing himself after everyone else gets their asses kicked.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Aw man, does that make Cooler non-canon? (oh god, what am I doing, talking about Canon in the DBZ thread)

I don't think any of the first 13 movies are technically "canon". Hell, you can only fit 3 of them into the continuity without any major contradictions between them and the main show since they take place during time skips. (Dead Zone: Between DB and DBZ; Bojack Unbound: during the timeskip after Cell; Wrath of the Dragon: the final timeskip post-Buu.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

furiouskoala posted:

Tree of Might fits in well as does World's Strongest (on the way to fight Raditz).

Anything involving Goku using the Kaioken and/or Spirit Bomb and has Piccolo/Yamcha/Tien/Chaotzu alive is 100% out because Piccolo died between Goku getting revived and him arriving to fight Nappa and Vegeta.

Piccolo is alive and well in both movies, the other 3 all appear in Tree of Might, and both Wheelo/Turles die to the Spirit Bomb. The earliest time Goku can use King Kai's moves while Piccolo/the others are alive and on earth is after he gets back from Namek and talks to Future Trunks.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Yep, he knows, because time travel in Dragonball Z doesn't actually exist. You can't change the past, you can only jump to a parallel universe where things went differently--which is a result of you jumping in the first place.

The only ray of light in Trunks' universe is that now he's killed Cell and the androids, so for all intents he is now the strongest being on the planet by far, which means he and his mom can probably rebuilt humanity.

A few what-if stories, like games and fanfics, often have future Trunks have to deal with Dabura and Babidi some years later.

At first I thought to myself "How the gently caress does Trunks have any chance against Buu without bullshit like SS3 and fusions?" but then I remembered that Future Trunks is the single most pragmatic person in the series. He would beat Buu by blowing Babidi up and prevent him from being released in the first place.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Which is kinda weird if you think about it for a moment. He went back to his own time, beat 17 & 18 only to eventually get taken down by Cell absolutely effortlessly... and Cell at that point was weaker than the 17 and 18 from the past. Which is fair enough normally, but Trunks gets strong enough to be able to handle them before going back to his own time. :psyduck:

Okay, you could argue that it was probably a Cell from a different future where 17 and 18 were weaker than the ones Future Trunks had to deal with but then it just gets even more convoluted and confusing.

I think it was worked out that it takes a minimum of 4 timelines for everything to make sense:
1: The "original" timeline where the androids blow everything up and a future Trunks travels into the past (timeline 2). Trunks gets killed by Cell after defeating the Androids, and he takes the stolen time machine to timeline 4.
2: The past that Future Trunks from timeline 1 goes to. He learns how to destroy the Androids here and returns to timeline 1. He never encounters Cell, meaning he's woefully unprepared for the ambush awaiting him after he destroys the Androids in timeline 1.
3: Same as timeline 1, except that this Trunks (the Future Trunks from the main series) travels to timeline 4 and returns far stronger than his Timeline 1 counterpart. Both the Androids and Cell from this timeline are destroyed by him.
4: The main show timeline. Cell from timeline 1 arrives 1 year before Timeline 3's Trunks. Wrong androids, Cell games, yadda yadda.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Cell Saga would have been better if Toriyama had idea for Cell to be the villain from the beginning. Cell's a pretty awesome villain, and "a being made from the genetic materials of the strongest fighters in the universe" is kinda the next logical step for a villain after universal conqueror.

Yeah, Cell being stronger than Freeza makes sense when you consider what he is, namely a genetic monster made from the cells of pretty much every fighter including Goku and Freeza.

I think the Androids would have made more sense if they played all the fights like the 17 vs Piccolo one - They aren't necessarily stronger than the Super Saiyans, but they are more agile than them and have infinite stamina. Combine that with all the Super Saiyans being inexperienced (so they aren't used to the transformation and wear out quickly) and you have a situation where the Androids winning makes sense.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

That's so dumb because there's no way Tien and Yamcha and such were strong enough to take any aside Guldo. DBZAbridged handled that way better.

I have to agree. Goku didn't even manage to get up to Vegeta's level on Kai's planet and had to rely on the Kaio-ken to keep up with him. (Guess what those guys didn't get taught!) This is after possibly receiving a huge power boost from getting revived from death.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The ridiculous leaps in power wouldn't have been that bad if Frieza had actually been the last villain. Then it'd just be toryiama just pushing things to the limit for a big finish.

It's easy to think that was the case, since it makes perfect narrative sense. You'd figure that Toriyama was forced to keep going from fan outcry and pressure from his editors, but I read an article a while back that says this couldn't be the case. There was no break in publishing whatsoever between the end of Namek and Trunks' arrival for any outcry or changing of Toriyama's mind to occur.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AfroGunsou posted:

dunno what yall are on about this is the real best OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0oQkjup4Q

This was amazing the whole way through, but I lost my poo poo when Goku and King Kai appeared.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

IMO it's hands-down better, but not a replacement since you do need to understand the original events and characterizations for it to be really good.

Agreed. Half the fun of DBZ:A is knowing the things they are referencing and making fun of. It's by no means a standalone replacement for the original - it assumes you've seen the original run so you get the jokes.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I think Gohan pretty openly gave up was forced to give up fighting entirely and focused on studying under the watchful eye of his mother.

Come on, we all know what really happened. Don't act like Gohan stopped his training willingly.

That being said, Gohan definitely didn't inherit his father's unconditional love of fighting so he probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to train with anyone other than Goten.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

quote!=edit

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Guyver posted:

Fighting is a relative term when you can dead lift a planet. I don't think much actual fighting would have ever gone into Gohan's superheroing.

Hell, the criminals are lucky Gohan pulls his punches. If Vegeta tried the Saiyaman shtick for a day there would probably be an incident where he "accidentally" ripped a purse-snatcher's arm off or something.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Wasn't the reason Pan never went Super Saiyan in GT that Akira Toriyama never drew her as one when making the GT character designs (aka the only input he had on the series)?

My understanding was that at the time Toriyama didn't really know how a female Super Saiyan would look so they just went with the "She can't do it" explanation.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Just Goku doesn't.

Pretty much. No other family in the series has the problems Goku does in regard to that. Vegeta hugging Trunks and asking Piccolo what would happen to his soul after he died before going to blow himself up showed more love and humanity than anything Goku ever did, and Vegeta's the biggest rear end in a top hat in the show. Vegeta's sacrifice felt like an actual sacrifice. Goku's deaths amounted to "I'll hold him and you kill him" and "I didn't know where else to bring this explosive bug man. Sorry, King Kai!".

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, they both ended up coming back. Did anyone in DBZ really make a meaningful sacrifice?

You have a point, but it's the thought that counts. Vegeta's deaths had some weight to them and he let his normally guarded emotions through before each of them. Goku's were pretty much "Eh, they'll bring me back with the Dragonballs. No biggie."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Technically it is from early on, being from volume 16 of the manga, which is 42 volumes long. Not sure how far along it was animated or such though.

That 42 volumes includes DBZ. DB is volumes 1-16, DBZ is 17 onward. That Piccolo fight happened in the last volume of the "Dragonball" portion of the manga's run.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

I was in 7-8th grade I think, and everyone (the guys) was seriously hyped for it. It had been a couple of years since they had new episodes and all of sudden the new ones are weeks away? This was pre-internet so the only people who knew where the ones who went to the anime rental place 2 towns over and knew about that stuff, which was like 1/100 or less.

The only thing as big at that time was when Gundam Wing launched. That was the first crazy fast mecha fighting series the US got for mass consumption and it was like nothing most US kids had ever seen.

The funny thing is that a good portion of the original toyline (The american release of the Super Battle Series toys) was in toy stores long before the series got those new episodes. I remember seeing Super Saiyan Goku on an insert that came with my Power Rangers toys in 1996 (Christmas '96 puts that as halfway through the original airing of season 1, for reference).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

I know they've kinda shifted away from dramatically changing the character's personality (think Guru or Nappa), but it would be crazy if they played Satan completely straight

He works (worked?) for Nappa in TFS continuity as an actor, so I fully expect him to be the DBZ version of The Rock - both a wrestler and an accomplished actor.

Alternately, they could go the Johnny Cage route of making him an rear end in a top hat actor who happens to do his own stunts.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given what Gohan wears to the Cell Games, I wouldn't say any replacing really happened :v:

And he gets it immediately after spending a year in the Time Chamber with Goku, too. That whole part of the season is going to be the best goddamned thing. :allears:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

bowmore posted:

I just finished the latest episode of DBZ:A and I'm going to have to say

A. It was awesome

B. The fights work/feel SO MUCH better when they go that fast

The super fast fight speedups/recuts are easily the best part of the whole series. These guys were supposed to be able to move faster than the human eye can detect way back in Dragonball, but it's only in this cut of the series that it actually feels true. The pacing in that clip of Gohan catching Cell's Destructo Disks dragged badly even in that short scene.

As an aside, the old voices are weird now after getting used to the DBZ:A cast. No offense to Sonny Strait, but his Krillin just sounds wrong now. Piccolo/Vegeta weren't as jarring since Lanipator is pretty much doing a snarkier version of Sabat's take on them, though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Also remember that the destruction by the post-Freeza villains was mostly localized to Earth. Had Cell or Buu gone on a universe-wide destruction spree, I'm sure Bills would have heard of them. Freeza had a wide enough sphere of influence that about a quarter of the known universe (most of the northern quadrant) was directly under his control.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Supreme Kai: THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE is more important than your egos! Please don't fight each other right now and awaken the unstoppable killing machine!
Goku: Let's fight each each other right now, Vegeta.

See, this is why I can't hate Supreme Kai. Wimpy or not, he's at least less stupid than our actual protagonists.

Goku: Also, I'm going to invalidate the entire fight a couple of chapters later by revealing that I have a brand new transformation that could have defeated Vegeta's Majin form in a millisecond. Probably could have skipped that entire ordeal if I had let Vegeta know ahead of time he stood no chance against me even if he sold his soul to Babidi.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Chrysolith posted:

My least favorite jokes in the series tend to be the ones that deal with the random background characters. It gives teamfourstar more freedom to make jokes, since they don't have to worry about the jokes being "in character" for whoever is making them, but sometimes I think they get a little out of hand and stretch on for too long (the bus driver jokes in today's episode were funny, but could've been a lot shorter). Since Cell's interaction was only with random people in this episode, that was my issue with the episode.

That said, I thought the One Piece and Naruto jokes were funny :shobon:

I can forgive it since this part of the series doesn't have much character interaction to base jokes around. Once the action gets going again there will be a lot more mid-fight banter, which the series shines at.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

^ - It's a nice break from everyone else being a horrible person or a really cynical take on the character, and it still allows for plenty of jokes.

The meltdown when Perfect Cell kicks his rear end and trucks has to bail him the gently caress out is going to be something special.

Not to mention Gohan having to spend an entire year locked in a room alone with Goku. That entire period of the series will be amazing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

That scene was five minutes.

It's well established that "5 minutes" equals 4 hours & 13 Minutes across 7 episodes.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Was it though? When he "Birthed" Piccolo, would he have made him as powerful as himself? Like Cymbol and crew???

Something else has been annoying me.

During the Nappa fight, they talk about how they can't revive Chaotzu with the Dragonballs since he's already bee revived once. He dies, then later is back. I don't recall him getting wished back by any new Dragonballs, but it's been a while. However if it's because he was revived by "New" Dragonballs, why can't Goku be revived in the Buu Saga, doesn't the Supreme Kai give him his life or something?

It's been YEARS since I've watched all of the Buu Saga, but obviously Goku is back alive by the middle of it. He fights with his "One day on earth" originally, but in the Kai reshoot of it, that day is already almost done and there is still a lot to go.

Chaotzu was revived by the Namek Balls after his death-by-explosion against Nappa, which can revive anyone as many times as needed with the restriction that only one person can be wished back at a time. The Earth balls can bring back many people with a single wish, but cannot bring back a given person more than once.

Goku didn't get wished back after Cell because the person being brought back must come back willingly. Goku wanted to stay dead since his very presence seemed to attract powerful enemies.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 12, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Monaghan posted:

this was a pretty good episode but not quite as good as the other four. It's not really the fault of the teamfourstar, the fifth episode of hellsing ultimate is for the most part, a boring set up episode.

Never seen Hellsing ultimate, but I'll take your word for it. I wish they'd break their once per year rule to put out ep 6 early. :( This episode was decent, but it's definitely missing something without Alucard doing Alucard poo poo.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, fair enough, but I'm still confused as to why we're trying to kludge in a fourth timeline. What does the four timeline model account for that the three timeline model doesn't?

Think of it less as four timelines and more like two sets of two. When Cell goes back further than Trunks did, the first pair splits off into a second pair of connected timelines (that connection being "Future Trunks traveled between these timelines").

1: The "original" timeline where the androids blow everything up and a future Trunks travels into the past (timeline 2). Trunks gets killed by Cell after defeating the Androids, and he takes the stolen time machine to timeline 4.
2: The past that Future Trunks from timeline 1 goes to. He learns how to destroy the Androids here and returns to timeline 1. He never encounters Cell, meaning he's woefully unprepared for the ambush awaiting him after he destroys the Androids in timeline 1.
-----
3: Same as timeline 1, except that this Trunks (the Future Trunks from the main series) travels to timeline 4 and returns far stronger than his Timeline 1 counterpart. Both the Androids and Cell from this timeline are destroyed by him.
4: The main show timeline. Cell from timeline 1 arrives 1 year before Timeline 3's Trunks. Wrong androids, Cell games, yadda yadda.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ash got, like, half of his Kanto Gym Badges by doing things unrelated to battling Gym Leaders, though.

He literally got the Marsh Badge for making Sabrina laugh.

He also has a habit of releasing his best pokemon and not evolving the ones he keeps. Ash is a goddamned idiot and it's amazing he made it to the League (let alone several of them) in the first place.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Shadow is Vegeta and Silver is just Future Trunks. I know there's always been a DBZ influence on sonic, what with Sonic being a Super Saiyan but they're not really even trying to hide it now. Just have the chaos emeralds summon a literal dragon, why not.

Does (Perfect) Chaos being sealed into the Master Emerald count? He kinda looks like a dragon:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

I see that that quoted post from Kanzenshuu mentioned the fact Oozaru forms make the saiyan ten times as strong. I've been thinking about that powerup for a while now. If Vegeta was ~16000 when he's in base form in the Saiyan saga, why didn't he just go Oozaru and wreck havoc on Freeza's crew? He was stronger than even Ginyu on Earth. I guess it would be stupid with Freeza sitting up there. But Oozaru Vegeta was the strongest character Goku and company had met until Freeza going by that logic.

Yeah, for that strategy to work on a non-Freeza entity he would either need to either dupe them into fighting him on a planet with a moon during a full moon (and kill them before they pulled a Roshi/Piccolo and blew the moon up) or fight someone he can knock silly long enough to use the power ball, all without losing his tail. And the second he tried it Freeza would have him hunted down as a traitor immediately.

The way it went down was definitely the better option - the Zenkai from nearly dying to the earthlings was enough to beat everyone short of the Ginyus without having to use a highly convoluted and easily countered strategy like that. (Hell, Zarbon gave him a freebie when they tossed him in the healing tank after the one pre-Ginyu fight he lost!)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

They're voices are embedded in my brain nearly as much as the original Funimation dub, too. Freeza's definitely. No voice for Freeza sounds as right as LK. In some cases they're nearly identical anyway.

I watched something with Krillin's dub voice the other day and it sounded wrong. Sorry Sonny Strait, but Lanipator has fully replaced you in my head.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

He was a well established play on the character.

To be fair, that accounts for 99% of the cast.

Also to be fair, when they do something original with the other 1% of the characters they knock it out of the park. See: Guru, Nappa, Popo, etc.

Granted, it usually tends to be the bit characters that didn't get much characterization to exaggerate in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Buu is a better tactician than Gohan and the guy doesn't exactly have a history of ending fights as quickly as he could or should. Goku made the right call keeping him far the hell away from Buu.

Yeah, Gohan hosed up big time against Perfect Cell - he could have easily ended the fight at any time after achieving SS2. Thanks to his hubris, Goku and Trunks died, Cell got a massive power up, and Gohan got his arm hosed up. Gohan doesn't exactly handle Ultimate Power very well.

Oddly enough, the most pragmatic guy in the series was trained by (an alternate timeline version of) him - Future Trunks. Had Future Trunks received the Mystic power up, he probably would have defeated Buu within 5 minutes. For all we know that's how it actually got resolved in his timeline.

• Locked thread