Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So after having a conversation with a friend during which I realized I know way too much about Dragon Ball for someone who has never watched it, I've decided to do that now.

First five episodes were pretty okay. Probably gonna be awhile before I hit Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I figure if it becomes a slog I can always quit. Considering how influential it is though, I felt compelled to check it out on its own terms; Dragon Ball according to Dragon Ball rather than the fans.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cozz posted:

Which is why the manga is probably the more time efficient way to go. Compare 153 DB, 291 DBZ episodes (444 episodes total) to 42 Manga Volumes (519 total chapters). Granted you might be able to cut some filler out of DB and DBZ to cut down on the total episodes, but that's still a lot of episodes to watch.
Well I'll admit, another small part of it is just wanting something long-running in the background. A good downtime show you can watch whenever. I tend to burn through comics pretty fast whereas anime I'm more inclined to take my time, so in this case the more "Efficient" experience isn't what I'm after.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just a slow IV drip of kung fu anime to get me through the hard times.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The characters also possess distinct profiles and clear body language.

Even with the details obscured and the dialogue cut out, I (who have only just started this series and not hit this scene yet) never lost track of who was doing what.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Join me on my quest, Zen Master. I'm only on episode 5.

Speaking of which,

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This is a different Kame House. Or possibly the same only transported by capsule.
Chalk up Capsule Corp as the first instance of "I knew a bit about Dragon Ball going in, but I didn't know that." Glad to see someone finally one-upped George Jetson's briefcase car he never uses.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NowonSA posted:

For anyone else, coming up with Capsule tech means they've finally thought of an idea to start their fledgling manga career. For Toriyama it's a Tuesday and a neat little wrinkle he throws in to his manga.
This was sort of the best part of it for me. Technology on this level would fundamentally change the world, yet I'm 99% sure Toriyama just threw it in so he'd have an excuse to draw (and perhaps destroy) lots of different gadgets. At the same time though, it's so casually introduced that I can just accept it and not worry too much about the ramifications, which is really something I wish more series would do.

Another good example would be the pterodactyl who's sort of the first bad guy of the series. Comes out of nowhere, kidnaps Bulma, says a few words, then takes to the skies. At no point is the existence or credibility of a presumably extinct predator capable of human speech ever questioned by Goku or Bulma, so consequently I don't question it either. Another author might feel the need to address to the viewer the existence of such things, but Dragon Ball just lets the concept speak for itself. Talking dinosaurs exist and neither of our protagonists are in any way surprised or startled by this beyond the fact that it wants to eat them.

Takeshi Koike is someone else who does this a lot and I love him for it, like how Little Deyzuna in Redline gets super strength when he cries just because that's how it works; no elaboration.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Side note: Man Bulma's a loving weirdo. Rereading DB has reminded me she is just as bad as every one of Goku's friends.
Hmm, a small child in the middle of the wilderness.

Better shoot it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Toriyama's fuckin' awesome.
After reading this and your other post, I ended up cracking open a couple of my own series to see how well they measured up.

Obviously I don't have the same eye for these things as you - even with your assistance, reading the "Flow" still kind of escapes me - but comparing panel composition and clarity of forms has proven pretty interesting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You were plenty clear, it's more just a the way I read comics (which itself is a remnant of how I learned to read as a kid). Rather than allowing my eyes to trace individual objects within a panel, I tend to view the panel itself as one giant block of information to take in all at once.

The flipside of this though is that it's given me an easier read on composition.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Well, nobody consciously follows the lines I drew, "flow" is sort of a thing that you only notice when it's missing - like you look at a page of a comic book and it's almost like your brain is rejecting it, going "the gently caress is goin' on here?!" A page where you feel like you have to really pay attention just to figure out what's actually going on.
Ah, alright, I get it now.

Probably didn't help I was comparing Toriyama's crisp and simple style with some comparably more elaborate artists.

Looking forward to the rest of your effort posts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

As a continuation/side item to my effort post series, I decided to try something a little different. Can you guys tell more or less what's going on in the following images?

Not really, sorry.

Obviously a fight of some kind, but I couldn't even begin to give a play-by-play.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Well, what you're seeing is the result of a design choice Toriyama made, for better or for worse. The sitting figure saying "wow" is 18! It looks like they were intentionally made to have a similar silhouette to show how robotic/non-unique they were. I personally think it was a poor choice since they do end up having distinct personalities AND it can muddle up a fight scene like this.
This actually reminds me of something.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, though I am only now just watching Dragon Ball for the first time, I know quite a bit about the series just through conversations with friends and general cultural osmosis. Concerning the android arc, I knew about Cell - that he existed at least - and Androids 16, 17, and 18 because it was a little hard not to. What I didn't know up until incredibly recently (around the same time I decided to get into Dragon Ball) was that there were actually two more androids apparently nobody talked about.

"Yeah, Toriyama introduced two others who were intended to be the main threat of the arc, but his editor thought they looked dumb so he traded them up for some others."

Curious, I decided to spoil myself a bit and go digging for an image.

First off, whoever Toriyama's editor was, that guy was an idiot cause these dudes look dope (though perhaps unmarketable). Secondly though, in light of everything Xibanya's been posting, I can actually see a lot of his points about Toriyama's proclivity towards distinct shapes and silhouettes (and even flow). Even if you scrubbed out both androids' details, there'd could never be any confusion which one was which. Also, some nice composition in this pic in particular. Much more visually engaging than either 17 or 18 from the images I've seen.

Also also, that Darkseid panel's utter lack of flow finally helped me grasp what you meant before. It really is one of those things you don't notice until it's not there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This feels like a microcosm of every 80s/90s sports movie.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One-Punch Man is great because it's the sort of earnest parody where you know the author has a lot of love for the subject matter.

Madoka feels more like an attempt to destroy something other people enjoy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? I think people overhype Madoka's grimdark. It has a positive message and an optimistic ending, despite all the suffering. There's some real love for the genre hidden in there. I mean, just look at the flattering Utena and Kannazuki no Miko references.
That's why I said "Feels." I'll be the first to admit I'm not invested enough in the genre to be able to discern the love from not-love (wouldn't say hate), but my time with Madoka left me with the distinct impression it was using the concept of the magical girl as a punching bag; verses, in this case, One-Punch Man ruffling punchmen's hair saying, "You lovable doof you."

Again, just how I saw it. Not saying it is that way, but as an outsider looking in it sure seemed like it, ultimately optimistic ending or no.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Madoka is a very strange kind of optimism. The show ends on a ultimately positive note for the world, the movie(?) further so yet our actual characters suffer for both.

Its not an attempt to destroy something people enjoy, its a darker take on a usually very optimistic genre. Never grimdark because its hopeful in places, even if that hope ends up coming out the other end sore and hurting, but victorious in the end.
I should probably clarify I didn't dislike Madoka - as much as I disliked some of its directional decisions - and I like a good bittersweet ending which I feel it succeeded at. My comment was more directed towards how I felt Madoka seemed to fit in against the backdrop of its genre, rather than as a thing unto itself.

But I already admitted this is informed by my perceptions rather than real grounding in the genre so feel free to take all my posts on the subject with the world's largest grain of salt.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

dipwood posted:

It's a testament to why you shouldn't transcribe Japanese dialogue literally, because aside from cultural quirks, it's actually completely terrible much of the time.
There was an article by Jason Thompson (one of VIZ's editors) pretty much to this effect. It seems the vast, vast majority of shounen dialogue operates on a purely functional level, "How dare you do that to my friends," "Fool, this isn't even HALF of my power," etc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

mycot posted:

I thought that was a general Japanese language thing. It's a language where a lot of meaning is only through context.
You're not wrong, though it's also far from a distinctly Japanese phenomenon. Plenty of American comics boast dialogue on a similar level. With regards to the article, I figured his point was a response to Internet nerds going on about the purity of direct, literal translation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Hi guys. I threw my effort posts here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/
Cool beans, looking forward to the rest.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 22, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vegeta may know how dodge but he sure can't duck.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dragon Ball status update: 8/153

This show is pretty great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terper posted:

Who would win, Goku or All Might?
Trick question, they'd just hang out.

Supes can come too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bleach quit being worth it the second they set foot in the Soul Society, it just didn't become obvious until later.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Soul Society has its moments, but it's also where a lot of Bleach's long-term problems first rear their heads. I know a lot of people have a soft spot for it since it's where Bleach got serious and wasn't yet stupid, but so many of its current issues can be traced back to that arc that I really can't give it a pass.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not to push the derail too long, but which problems are you talking about? I can certainly see how you can trace the casting bloat to there and that's easily Bleach's biggest problem, but I wouldn't say that it was fully formed yet - I don't remember Kubo trying to give all twenty six or whatever Captains and Lieutenants serious amounts of screen time the way he really started doing getting into the Arrancar bits and beyond, plus the sheer number of characters and minibosses and organizations Kubo introduced once the Arrancar and Vizards started floating about make the 13 squads look compact and concise.
Cast bloat was honestly one of the smaller problems with SS, since it was pretty clear Kubo was trying to throw Ichigo and his friends off the deep end. Of course he kept doing it, but it's probably the least of the arc's immediate sins. On a similarly small note, it's also where Kubo started getting lazy with the scenery.

More substantively it's where Aizen shows up, Kubo chokes when it comes to killing anyone not evil, and the series begins its downward spiral into a world where only Ichigo really matters. Aizen I've never liked. Just about the only interesting thing about him is the twist that he's evil. He was a fairly generic nice guy prior to the reveal and the most generic villain once the jig was finally up. He also "Kills" Momo, except she gets better, then defeats Hitsugaya, but doesn't kill him, only to proceed to wreck a bunch of people thereafter and not kill them either because...uh...because. Instead he flies off to create/recruit a bunch of underlings he doesn't need to fight and fail to kill the people he could've killed himself, making them stronger. But that's getting into later arcs.

Ichigo himself is probably the biggest problem with SS (and subsequently much of the rest of Bleach) since he's paradoxically the only party member to get anything done while having none of his accomplishments really mean that much within the context of the plot. The vast majority of the arc's intrigue happens without him, and he only even meets Aizen after the dude's shown his true colors. His only real role was to serve as a distraction allowing Aizen to move more freely (which makes less sense the longer Bleach goes on and the more and more powerful Aizen is implied to have always been). Ichigo doesn't even really succeed at saving Rukia either since she's released as a matter of course once it's revealed it was all a plot which Ichigo played very little part in unraveling. Alternatively, he's the only character who really gets any fights that matter* alongside insane power ups permitting him to simply BE better than his opponents rather than actually besting them. Got a good chuckle out of the Turn Back the Pendulum arc when it was revealed Byakuya's been practicing his swordplay for centuries but with Urahara's help Ichigo eclipses him in an afternoon. Other people fight and get schooled or fight and win but to no ultimate purpose.** Or almost fight, but then don't.

The fights themselves are largely terrible, but that's a larger issue that encompasses most shounen so it's not really fair to pick on Kubo alone.

Fast-forward to the Fake Town arc, you have Aizen effortlessly stomping several top shinigami and most of the vizards. "We need Ichigo!" Shinji cries. Of course we do, because nobody else matters, though they may start mattering after that point since that's where I dropped it.

* ᴵˢʰᶦᵈᵃ'ˢ ᶠᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢᶰ'ᵗ ᵐᵃᵗᵗᵉʳ⋅
** ᴴᶦ ᴵˢʰᶦᵈᵃ⋅

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not really, but then most people I've talked to who like Aizen do so for reasons that have nothing to do with his quality as a character or even an antagonist.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bacontotem posted:

The Quincys are ghost nazis that were last put down a thousand years ago. They were created by the son of the Soul King, and for "reasons" said son created the Quincy to be a fodder force for him so he could become powerful enough to destroy the soul king.
Also, Ichigo is "Everything."

Part-shinigami, part-hollow, part-quincy; everything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

If One Piece and Naruto are Ryu and Ken, then Bleach is Dan Hibiki.
Gonna have to disagree with you there on the grounds of Dan Hibiki being a lovable loser.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually thought Bleach was good back when it was just high school Japanese neighborhood ghostbusters.

Grand Fisher was a more interesting and intimidating villain than Aizen ever was. I got super mad when he showed up after the SS arc just to get chumped.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo is okay.

I like Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dragon Ball status update: 13/153

Alright, we've gathered the dragon balls, made our wish, and managed to thwart evil. Good going everybody.

So what's the rest of the show about?

More seriously, that was a pretty charming and surprisingly humble beginning to things. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the initial arcs in Shounen Jump titles tend to be brief in case the series gets canned so I'd imagine the next couple arcs will be similarly fast-paced until we hit the part where Dragon Ball demonstrated it could reliably earn its keep. Funny how little time it wastes early on given its eventual reputation. Also kinda funny seeing Emperor Pilaf and his comically ineffectual goons knowing that in a couple hundred episodes we're gonna be staring down the barrel of the most dangerous alien in the known universe, the somewhat less humorous Lord Freiza.

Speaking of which, kinda throws a wrench in a lot of the series' power level discussion when there's a dude who can literally just turn anyone who touches him into a carrot. Imagine how useful that guy would've been if Goku had remembered he left him on the moon and brought him back to Earth to take on pretty much any threat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

jivjov posted:

This was going to be the original run of the manga. This is the extent of Toriyama's planned plot. Thus follows many many years of making poo poo up as he goes because his editors dont' want him to stop.
Huh, interesting. Seems to have managed well enough.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Honestly? Not terribly. We've got Ki attacks flying around by the first martial arts tournament, then the Red Ribbon's bevvy of guns, and then King Piccolo and on just blow poo poo up no touching really necessary.
Eh, true. I guess I was thinking more if you managed to get the drop on somebody, or trick them into thinking he was harmless. I was under the impression there were more than a few bad guys in DB/Z who would let you show off your stuff first just to hammer home how little they thought of your martial prowess, but I could be mistaken.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Yeah, but Buu tried pretty much the same thing and it didn't do poo poo except make him look like an even bigger chump.
I know nothing about Buu except that he exists and is the last bad guy and is Hercule's buddy or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Hungry Hungry Goku then.
The most terrifying of children's board games.

EDIT: Of all the things to get beaten to post.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Ah, but who would win in a eating contest between the two of them?

Trick question, they'd bond over interesting foodstuffs.
The correct answer to any "Who wins, Goku or some other good guy" question is they become friends.

Big Boss hadn't become evil yet so it fits.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Big Boss was never evil, he just upset the status quo.
Big Boss is pretty sympathetic but kidnapping children to turn them into child soldiers probably crosses a moral boundary for most people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What if Goku was revealed to have been implanted with the trickster spirit Wu Kong as a child and he learns to tap into that power after he accidentally finds and eats the Gum Gum Fruit after it falls in a cross-dimensional hole created when Goku discovers his Bankai after getting in touch with his half-demon nature. This allows him to truly manipulate his Nen which he uses to create his Stand, the Cha La Head.
I feel bad for understanding this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think part of why Goku comes across as heroic despite his serious enjoyment of battle and somewhat stupid/unkind/selfish moments is because Dragon Ball as a whole is very optimistic. Gon from Hunter x Hunter is literally "what if Kid Goku was in a far more cynical world", and he has moments where he comes across as outright creepy despite being more or less the same character. Hell, even his Super Saiyan transformation is shown in a far, far less nice light than Goku's insanely heroic, if revenge-driven, first transformation. And this is counting how Super Saiyan Goku was far less nice than normal Goku.

I mean, this is a series where literally the devil gets redeemed and turns into a super nice, if aloof individual who ends up being the best dad. The Demon King gets sent to Heaven and ends up as a sickeningly sweet individual. The prince of a race of genocidal, world-conquering monsters becomes a grumpy dad who is willing to throw away his excessive pride to protect his new planet. And so on and so forth. It's a strength of the series, in my opinion.
The dragon balls themselves play into this a lot. People are quick to complain about them since they basically ensure nobody good ever stays dead, but at the same time it lends a sense of levity to the proceedings since you know at the end of the day everything's going to be alright. You don't get that weird disconnect where yes millions are dead but the hero beat the bad guy and got the girl so everything's cool. Conversely, it allows the villains to be truly villainous, murdering innocents and leveling whole cities - even killing important characters - because their evil is ultimately mitigated later on. It'd be a problem in a more serious story, but even as an outside observer Dragon Ball always struck me as a largely feelgood series.

I have more respect for a writer who is willing to kill a character only to find some way of bringing them back than a writer who goes out of his way to avoid killing characters even when it makes sense to do so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Gon is an intentional commentary on Goku (or rather Goku-style characters). That's kind of the point of the character. HxH intentionally takes shonen tropes and takes them to a logical conclusion they wouldn't get otherwise.
My favorite thing Hunter x Hunter has done in this vein is Chrollo's power, being able to steal people's abilities if they explain to him how they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shakugan posted:

The fantastic thing about HxH is that we don't actually know this is true. HxH does power creep fantastically. The protagonists consistently get stronger, but never falls into the DBZ trap of "beat the strongest guy in the universe, stronger strongest guy in the universe then has to show up, rinse and repeat". There are a whole bunch of super powerful characters who the protagonists interact with, but we don't actually know how they all compare to one another. It's also helped by a power system that has a bunch of unique powers that make direct "power comparisons" kind of pointless.
It also helps that the protagonists are pretty much never the strongest characters in the room, meaning they have to find ways to turn the tables in their favor against opponents they'd never be able to beat ordinarily. That whole bit where Gon is trying to figure out how and when to take Hisoka's badge during the hunter exam is probably my second favorite stretch in the series after the confrontation with Pitou.

For people who want to get into Hunter x Hunter but hate the idea of the manga being on eternal hiatus, the anime is actually a pretty solid recommendation since it wraps up in what feels like a natural place even if there's tons of story left.

• Locked thread