Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably going to pick up the game today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Battle of Z for a while. I finally got tired of trying the mission that unlocks SSJ 3 Goku and quit for the night. Mystic Gohan is the best character I've got so far.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Toriyama dropped a small present for the fans about the upcoming collected book of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Big DB spoilers:

We'll finally see who Goku's mother is.

The other other other legendary super saiyan.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally unlocked all the characters in Battle of Z! :toot: I found that the best strategy for some of the worse missions is to just play them offline and team yourself up with three customized Android 18s on defense mode. You'll rarely ever have to worry about knockouts. Mission 58 however is impossible unless you play online.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Eventually, even Goku would learn to stop using energy blasts.

I remember an episode of GT with Super Shoulders 17 who could absorb energy the same way 19 and 20 could. Goku's plan was to constantly shoot kamehamehas at it then try and blow himself up.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

I think that's what does it for me, in regards to Goku vs Cell. The moment Goku gets serious after the warm ups, and Trunks catches the tone of the battle immediately shifting, it's awesome. At this point, Cell knows that power wise, Goku couldn't beat him, but skill wise he is right up there. So he was enjoying the hell out of the fight.

Goku vs. Cell is among the best.

edit: awesome kick

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 8, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I heard about a Buu saga Kai a year or so back. I didn't think it'd come to Japan though since Mr. Satan's VA died over there.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Heroes is a weird game with a lot of bizarre What-If stuff that honestly would make all of the DBZ games a lot more enjoyable to play through.

I agree and am always bewildered about how people get all pissy about the game's version of the original story. Who cares about the original story, throw something new at us!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Stuff like Angel Cop and some of the other series I found in the "related videos" section (Mad Bull, Cyber City, Psycho Diver; I've never heard of these series before because my knowledge of anime in general is pretty limited) were pretty clearly aimed at an older audience. I was thinking more along the lines of fansubbers cramming a bunch of swearing into brightly-coloured shonen schlock because they want it to be for adults.

Chip and Ironicus has two parts of Mad Bull up on their site and it's pretty funny.
:nws: for 80's anime breasts http://chipandironicus.com/videos/anime/2.html :nws:
Eddie BEEEEE-ANNNNN

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New Abridged episode is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2FaWzlquM

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's talk about Yusuke instead. He's cooler.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossovers are pretty cool.

(this isn't really from anything)

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sonata Mused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAzoe2Mjyo

Speaking of other Jump series, is anyone else excited for this?

Hell yeah I am.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Why is he outside what looks like the White House?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

First decree is the National Election will be replaced by the Cell games. Second, the Senate, House, and Congress members are replaced by Cell Jr.s. Third, kill Son Goku.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
History of Trunks, Bardock, Battle of the Gods, and Cooler are the best.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Learned a couple of days ago that all of the DBZ movies are on YouTube, except for Battle of the Gods apparently. Watching Wrath of the Dragon, it's striking just how quickly everyone other than Goku gives up. It's a pretty consistent theme throughout the series, really: Bad guy shows up, Goku's not there, everyone else tries to fight, get hit like twice, groan to themselves "we tried our best!" and then collapse. Gohan's especially terrible about this. At least Vegeta, Goten and Trunks usually have the dignity to get knocked out instead of just admitting defeat.

Edit: Unrelated, but I don't think I've heard one suggestion so far in this movie that they get the giant monster out of the densely-populated city.

I don't remember but did Piccolo even bother to show up?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

Why all the hate for Goku in this thread lately

Brolly alt accounts, all of them.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

One thing I did like about the Piccolo absorption was now Buu knew how Gohan fought, since Piccolo had a great hand in his overall training. I thought that was a nice detail.

I like the way Buu was playing mind games with Gohan too. Bringing up how "Goten really thought you would save him" or "Piccolo knows you're better than this".

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

Wasn't Chi Chi transformed into an egg and stomped on or was that just the anime?

Only after she slapped Buu in the god drat face! Chichi was hardcore.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there filler in Dragon Ball?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Really? Man, I need to catch back up to that.

Skip the two pointless Namek specials that are still going.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm torn in that I'd totally would've been fine if Frieza was the end boss but Future Trunks is rad as poo poo.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dragonball Z was supposed to end after they earned their drivers license. Then Dragonball R begins.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Taking bets on wether eva 3 or battle of the gods will release first

Someday 3.33 will get here... Hopefully before I leave the drat country.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ultimate Tenkaichi is a rock paper scissors simulator with my legendary super space warrior, "rear end Grabbums".

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

The Budokai games (Infinite World included) were straight-up DBZ fighting games, while the Tenkaichi series and everything related to it are more "DBZ simulators". In spite of the similar English titles they're pretty much Appules and oranges. Each game has its ups and downs, but not really fair to compare the series.

That said, B3 and BT3 are the ones I have the most nostalgia for. The B3 opening song is practically scarred into my mind. And BT3 has... something else scarred in there. :shepicide:

I think BT3 or maybe BT2 also had this gem as pre fight taunts

Zagnya:"Your boyfriend's kinda cute"
#18: "Skank!"

Squallege fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 30, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

How much filler did DBZ jam in, though? Compared to modern anime I feel like it only did a couple episodes at a time, and that one article about "when the manga was ending" theories implies the lead from manga to anime wasn't exactly that large. A couple weeks ahead, maybe?

15 year old me would rather have some excess grunting and over explanation as compared to a fullbringer bount arc, for example.

I remember there being quite a bit but it was never as terrible as loving Bleach's filler.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyaGY5Za3w

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyN7rPbHybk&t=307s

5:07, in case the time stamp doesn't work.

Goddamn that sixhead at 05:35

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
According to the Episode of Bardock, Frieza's family's been at this for what, thousands of years? Eventually you gotta run out of poo poo to sell.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Pretty sure 17 had a little cameo in the manga as well when the Spirit Bomb was made against Majin Buu and he was like ah hell why not and rose his hand in the air.

In the anime he held some dude up at gunpoint to force him to give energy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly "prince of all saiyans" isn't something you can put on your resumé.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He calls himself the prince because if he doesn't Tarble probably will and he can't let Tarble have it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dabura going to heaven is the best.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

British Aussie Bulma is now the best Bulma.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 13, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trunks's story's number one, followed by Bardock, then Cooler, then Battle of the Gods, then whatever.... Super 13 or something.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yamcha, Oolong, Tien, Chaotzu, Piccolo, Vegeta... it's probably easier to list his friends who weren't antagonists at first. And even though Krillin and Bulma weren't enemies at first, they were still pretty big assholes.

Bulma did shoot Goku with a machine gun like, seconds after meeting him.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

I guess that's what Multiverse is for.

My main memory of History of Trunks is the music, especially the one looped on the DVD menu which is also used at the beginning when Goku dies, and I think there was another track which was the "in the rain looking for dead Gohan" theme.

The music for the Trunks movie was done by Dream Theater from their Metropolis Act 2 album. At least it was in the US. It was pretty great to me in middle school.

e: wait, it was more than just Dream Theater because I remember a rap song being in the credits too. I remember History of Trunks entirely too much.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
I think this'll end all discussion about the best openings.

• Locked thread