Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

So this game has been out in Japan for months now. What was the reaction by the fans / general gaming populace?

It's a worthy successor to the series, and does a lot of really amazing poo poo, it's basically what you'd expect from a EDF game, except the extra classes add a lot to gameplay (even though Engineer is kind of a online co-op only kinda class. You can play him solo, but why would you?), and also you get all the best gimmicky weapons from the old games AND MORE. Laser chainsaws, giant swords, incredibly unwieldy spike launchers... It has some of the best weapon variety in EDF history, with more gimmick weapons and less "this weapon is just the previous weapon with +2 attack", though that's still slightly present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Awesome! posted:

I've heard the ps3 version's framerate is horrible from people with the JP version. They supposedly released a performance patch that did little to help. Really disappointing as my 360 has been in a closet since I bought my ps3.

I played the PS3 version, and while the framerate wasn't exactly good, it wasn't unplayably bad, especially for THIS series. Nothing like EDF2 first stage happens. I have no doubts the 360 version probably had better framerate, but if you're a fan of this series and only have a PS3, you should still get it. If you have a 360 though, apparently that one is the actual better version.

Rabidredneck posted:

I've already preordered the 360 version, cannot wait. Some of my questions..

1. When you pick up a weapon, does everyone get it? That's something IA did right at least, don't need griefers stealing everyone's guns.

2. Will the vehicles be worth it? of the vehicles in 2017 only the Vegalta was remotely usable, but still died quickly once it got surrounded. From videos I've seen it looks like the vehicles will have good controls, one fellow did pretty good with one of the Air Raiders small attack choppers.

3. Any pictures of this 4 person mech?

1. I think everyone gets a weapon drop, at least. Not sure if both people get the same WEAPON though.

2. Well, the Air Raider is basically all about summoning various kinds of things, from airstrikes to orbital lasers and giant four-player controlled mechs. The vehicles heavily vary in utility, but then again, so do most other weapons. Some of the later-game mechs are hilarious engines of destruction, especially if you can get all four players to cooperate. Plus, an Engineer with some kind of car or tank is a Fencer's best friend, because the Fencer can stand on top of it and remove his typical penalty of being the slowest thing alive.

3. Here's a link with a bunch of vehicles. I don't know if the Velgata is actually the 4 person mech though, I never was the one actually playing Air Raider so I don't know the vehicle names. EDIT: No, the 4-player mech is called the Proteus. It looks like this:

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 5, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

No, seriously, no one here is kidding. Insect Armageddon was a massive disappointment, yes. But EDF 2025 is the real loving poo poo guys. The realest. I have the Japanese version as well, and I can safely say that this game is at least 1000x better than IA. For many a reason.

Laser chainsaw man. Laser chainsaw. Live the dream. I can't wait to buy this all over again, but this time in a language I can understand and am able to play online co-op in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aphrodite posted:

The latter.

But considering the level of destruction you can cause, they can end up all over the place or on top of buildings and stuff.

The ones in 2025 have physics! Which makes them less likely to get caught on random bullshit, which is nice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mister Adequate posted:

Aside from the cliffs in that one canyon map, I've never had a problem with things getting caught on random bullshit because you just blow that bullshit the hell up. If things are still standing at the end of a mission you've got to ask yourself what you really achieved.

I see you forget underground caves levels. If you've never had a weapon drop get inexplicably stuck on the ceiling of one of those, you did something wrong.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: The OP needs to be changed to reflect that there is not "an" orbital laser, there are at least six different orbital laser systems that do somewhat different things. And cruise missiles, and bombing raids, and air to surface autocannon attacks...

Also important to mention is that, at least in the Japanese version, the firing of each variety of orbital laser was accompanied by a hotblooded, anime as gently caress shout by your operator calling out that particular orbital laser's name.

EDF 2025 is SERIOUSLY GOOD YOU GUYS. I played up to the end of Hard in the JP version, and I want to do it all over again in the US one, when I'll finally be able to understand the specifics of how out of ammo my companions are, and also the english version of the EDF anthem.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I got my friendly local game store clerk to break release date for me. Let me assure everyone that the voice acting is EXACTLY as good as you'd hope and expect.

Also, the EDF anthem is still in, and better than ever before.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone mentioned the dynamic death flag saying system yet? Other EDF soldiers will say randomized things like "when this is over I'm going to get married!" and then another will respond with randomized things like "I'm not so sure about that..."

There's a quote where a soldier says "Saying things like 'When this is all over, I'm going to get married' is a sure-fire way to get yourself killed!" He then got killed accidentally by me firing a grenade launcher near him.

So what I'm saying here is, GOTY.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't access online at all today for some reason, my PS3 is bugging out and not letting me connect to PSN. Once I can test, I'll let you know.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just got a weapon called the Jackhammer for the Fencer. It's a pneumatic giant punch machine, that fires really quick.

I of course proceeded to dual wield them and ATATATATATATA Hectors to death. I had forgotten how much of a good game EDF is. Fencer is such a fun class once you figure out that you should never, ever, EVER, try to walk anywhere. Rule 1 of Fencer is Always Be Boosting. Works best with a shield in my experience, especially the small one. Boost, cancel into reflect, cancel into boost. I'm pretty sure by doing this Fencer is ACTUALLY the second most mobile class in the game. Plus it makes you feel like a total badass to be boosting around a Hector shooting fists or piledrivers into it, and then moving onto the next without stopping. Fencer has a lot of weapons that are, while probably not as directly effective as what a Ranger or Wing Diver might get, are instead made great through sheer rule of cool. So what if dual wielding these giant metal swords is probably lower DPS than that Ranger using a rifle? I'm DUAL WIELDING GIANT SLABS OF IRON AND SHOOTING OUT FORCE FIELD PROJECTILES WITH THEM.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Spike Catapult. Just... Just Spike Catapult.

I have never laughed so hard at a weapon in a game before.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

"Did you propose yet?"
"Don't get your hopes up."

"Why did you join EDF?"
"It's an idea!"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, now that I actually understand the plot, I realize that this game gets shockingly grim later on. It's really depressing hearing O'Hara losing hope constantly.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

You may not want to buy the PS3 disc version. Load times are loving awwwwful and no hard drive install. :(

Load times are awful no matter what in this game. But it's usually not so bad once you get out of missions that have intro cutscenes (or when you turn them off).

It's somehow simultaneously awful and amusing that the last mission I did (55) actually forced me to consider lag a game mechanic. I HAD to kill certain enemies early and not shoot certain things to keep lag to manageable level. This is such an EDF-type thing to happen it's incredible.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Philthy posted:

Game Informer gave it an 8/10.

Got my PS3 version, so UPS tracking was wrong. Played through the first mission, it looks and plays good. It did have a LONG pause for "Now Loading..." but it wasn't reading the disc at all. Just sitting there. Doing nothing.

Missing the dive moves. You can only jump now? What's up with that?

You can't dive directly forwards anymore, but try jumping at a 45 degree angle...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Awesome! posted:

can you dive directly forward in 2017? I have the portable version and can only do the 45 degree roll.

I vaguely recalled doing so, but it could've just been my brain reinterpreting the 45 degree roll as being forwards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dominic White posted:

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.

As someone who does main Fencer, the class is pretty much unplayable without either an Air Raider buddy or learning the dash cancel. You're just excruciatingly slow. But learning the dash cancel (the basic one, at the very least), is really easy. You just need to have a shield and a melee weapon equipped at the same time. Dash, reflect, dash, reflect. This will get you across levels shockingly fast.

Anyways, while this game does still suffer somewhat from the same-weapon-higher-stats issue, it really is much reduced, and there are amusing gimmick weapons of varying levels of utility spread throughout the whole difficulty curve. I just wish less Fencer missile launchers required an Air Raider buddy...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Computer Opponent posted:

Am I missing something with the Fencer's artillery cannon? It feels like anything short of a direct hit does nothing, but it *looks* like it has a splash effect.

It's only on direct hit, but since it's piercing, it can sometimes LOOK as if it has a splash effect.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

I've got a Gamestop code for 360 - definitely willing to trade.
email me: trunten8 at that hotmail thing
Anyone else feel like Wing Diver is going to dominate the game for the first few weeks?

Wing Diver probably has the best effort-to-power ratio, and being able to you know, fly, makes them easily the most maneuverable class. Plus they have more interesting equipment, as a general rule, than the other easy class, the Ranger. Not that the Ranger weapons are boring, it's just that Wing Diver gets a laser chainsaw so you know.

Air Raider is somewhat too support-oriented for most people, even though it gets some seriously hilarious attack options later on (Orbital Cannon <3). And Fencer is the class that takes the most effort and skill to play properly. When you do, they're a serious force of destruction, but it can be really tough to get there.

Speaking of the Fencer and being a force of destruction, I just got a sword that, when fully charged, shoots a sword beam at a longer range than most of my actual ranged weapons. It's amazing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

There's no way to get manual aiming like Fencer on the other classes is there? I need to go back and play 2017 because I don't remember the auto aim being so twitchy.

There's auto aim!?

I didn't even know that was a thing, and I play every class a little bit. Is that a menu option somewhere?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

You can't not auto aim as the Ranger or Pale Wing as far as I can determine. It really sucks too when there's some ant 50 feet in the sky that my dude just won't stop trying to shoot. Makes flying tough as well.

But I play as Wing Diver on occasion and I don't... Oh wait, do you have your controls set on Simple? I think that automatically turns on auto-aim.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FishBulb posted:

Sorry if I missed this before, is there anybody playing on PS3? PSN name is TJLaser. Just started playing with some randoms have no idea what I'm doing Fencers are loving sloooooooe

Dash cancel! Use a melee weapon and a shield, hit dash, then hit reflect, then hit dash again!

This should probably be added to the OP somewhere, as it's pretty much an essential strategy for playing Fencer. I dunno if it's even possible to play Fencer well without this.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GamerMage posted:

If you use the javelin launcher (lv14) and hold down the attack button you can mash the dash at mach 3.

The downside of doing it with the javelin launcher is that it becomes essentially a wasted slot (as a javelin launcher is useless on its own, it needs to be paired up to have any actual use). That still leaves the Fencer with one more weapon than everyone else though, so it's probably okay. I like having the shield though, the added survivability makes up for the somewhat slower dashing, in my opinion.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stage 67 :stare:

This is... This is just unfair. This is too much. All I can say is thank god for dual wielding NC 102 hand cannons as Fencer...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Knightmare posted:

What's a good Wing Diver weapon against the hectors? I think I tried most of mine and wasn't really happy with anything, so I usually stick with a Thunder Sniper lv3 and plink away from a distance. It's not very fast though.

These kinds of questions are hard to answer without knowing what level of weaponry you have. But, as a general rule, the weak point of Hectors is that they're awful at close range, so a Rapier or similar is very effective against them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

The javelin launcher (I think? it's level 14) is the greatest asset to the Fencer. I have yet to find much of a use for the actual weapon itself as I cannot aim its projectiles for the life of me. However, it lets you dash cancel at a much faster rate than the shield cancel and you can zoom around the level with ease. I just hope there is eventually a version that is useful as a weapon as well.

Does anyone have a list of what the rewards are for completing each difficulty for each class? Is there a specialized genocide gun for each class like in the previous EDF games? What about for the lesser difficulties?

The proper way to use Javelin Launcher is to equip two of them then look at the ground, and proceed to watch all the red blips on the minimap in front of you disappear.

This, of course, means you can't use it for dash-cancel purposes, but I find that the shield cancel with the small shield is fast enough to make me quicker than Ranger/Air Raider at most times, so it's enough for me and adds some survivability.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Hey can someone put together a list of things they'd like to see in the "serioius" op?

I already have that this game owns so we're covered on that front.

You should probably put dash cancel information under the Fencer section, as the class is nigh-unplayable without knowing about it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Drakenel posted:

Playing on hard with co-op probably is the way to go for your first time. (Don't all be air raiders though, you fucks.) The weapon drops are more interesting than normal difficulty from what I've seen. (The plasma ram for the wing diver is pretty badass.) Plus, you know. Actual chance of you dying.

Every difficulty level has interesting weapons, and by skipping straight to Hard you miss out on hilariously terrible prototype weapons. Plus, a pretty big part of this game is collecting weapons so missing out on most of the Normal difficulty ones would be lame later.

PS. Later levels on Normal are still pretty drat hard. Be forwarned.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Just having a second equipped seems to make the aiming move at half speed, except for like the gatling gun for whatever reason.

If you equip two OF THE SAME TYPE of artillery cannon you'll drastically improve their firing speed. This makes dual wielding cannons absolutely bonkers broken, if somewhat hard to aim. I don't think any class can keep up with Fencers in the DPS race, in the right situations. Think of Wing Divers and Rangers as constant DPS, Air Raider as support and Fencer as MASSIVE OVERWHELMING BURST DPS.

No spoilers, but I beat several of the main story bosses before they were even fully introduced due to dual handcannon spam. Dualing mostly anything as Fencer will give you absolutely hilarious damage output, with the downside of being hard to aim and control. That's why Fencer is the high-technical class. It takes a lot of effort to get the most out of it, but once it gets going, no other class can really compare (except Wing Divers because they're kinda OP)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

randombattle posted:

Man I cannot play anything but the fencer. He's too good dashing all around shooting pile bunkers everywhere mid drift. I lucked out and got a level 1 artillery cannon that's twice my size and is apparently the main tank cannon made portable in the first few levels but even the default Gatling gun and pile bunkers are amazing.

This game ramps up so much faster than 2017 though I'm like on mission 5 and they are talking about 10 motherships coming. That's a lot of motherships!

Hahaha. Oh my friend. You have not seen ramping up yet. You have not. Seen. poo poo.

5 stages from the end of the game now, things are getting rather intense.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wonderboy posted:

Anyone have any good unattended armor-farming strategies yet?

Here's what I've been successful with so far:
1. local co-op, both players as Wing Divers; at least one weapon choice should be a rapier weapon with poor accuracy and fast reload times (the starting level 0 rapier is perfectly suitable)
2. select Level 15 on Easy (difficulty has no effect on rates or rate-gain, as far as I'm aware)
3. when the level starts, make sure to kill all ally NPCs (so they don't eventually blow up the nests)
4. blow up the first 3 sets of nests and all of the ants they spawn
5. fly to the last nest, cleaning up what spiders you easily can, making sure not to damage the nest
6. park P1 inside the nest, rapier equipped, pointing straight up; rubber-band the trigger down so you're constantly firing
7. fly P2 over, clean up whatever spiders are outside the nest, then park inside the nest a few steps away from P1 and setup the same way (rapier, straight up, rubber-band trigger)

Hopefully your players are lined up in the nest in such a way that they grab item drops as the spiders are killed; if not, you might need to tweak your positions and/or periodically pick up the mounds of items.

I set this up and let it run for ~2hrs or so yesterday, almost entirely unattended. My net gain was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 health, which I'll be honest was a little underwhelming.

Anyone found any better levels/strategies for this?

Important fact here is that Wing Divers have the slowest speed of armor gain. 400 armor for 2 hours is actually fairly significant for them, as I think they need... I think it's 4 armor boxes for one point of armor.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just beat the game on Normal as Fencer, totally solo. Although I had to play the last mission in the most desperate way possible. But since it fit the narrative, it felt okay.

But seriously though (major spoilers for the late late game missions, including ending): The game got SO drat GRIM later on. Your operator freaking out on the mission with the second Argo about there being NO ONE ELSE LEFT was really goddamn depressing. Also goddammit O'Hara you were such a cool guy why'd you have to sacrifice yourself like that? The game ended on a hopeful note, of course, but still that poo poo was to the loving WIRE. I loved it. But I didn't get a cool weapon for clearing the game, does that not happen anymore?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

There's 8 or so missions you can only play online, so technically you're not quite done yet. No idea on the weapon thing though.

Eh I got my trophy for full mission clear on Normal with Fencer so those missions probably don't count towards much.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

In EDF 2017, there was a specific weapon that would only be unlocked when you cleared every mission on each difficulty. Did you manage to catch what weapon that might have been for the Fencer on normal?

Either it counts the online-only missions for the weapon unlock, or they removed that particular feature from the game, because I didn't get anything for clearing Normal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Every other class besides Wing Diver just feels so loving slow. Even Fencers with dash-cancelling. While they're all setting up their stupid explosives I'm in with my chainsaw and all the bugs/robots/robot bugs are dead. I wish I hadn't started with Wing Diver because I think it's ruined the other classes for me.

I played as Wing Diver when I originally played the Japanese version, and yeah, she's highly mobile and deals good damage. Sure. But when Fencer gets going, it gets going so hard it's hilarious. Also, as Wing Diver, you lack the ability to sit in the middle of a giant mob of ants and spiders and dragons, put your shield up and then just stand there stabbing/slashing/exploding everything around you without regard to your health.

I think every class has pros and cons, and every class is worth playing. You might have to force yourself to not use Wing Diver for long enough to actually start understanding what makes other classes so great, however.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

And every now and then an Inferno boss decides to drop you a Mirage Zero and Thunder Sniper Prototype just to be an rear end in a top hat.

That's why, unless you're going for the super high end Inferno-only poo poo, you should play on Hardest. I think Inferno has the entire loot table to drop poo poo from, while Hardest gets just high level poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ChibiSoma posted:

"...What does 'swallowed whole' mean?"

:stare:

E: Well that was disappointing. And annoying. And awful. The Earth Eaters themselves are dumb, since they're just dropships that don't move. Those tripod things, though? Those suck butt. Like, hope you brought a long-range weapon and have boatloads of health, because these things will stab you for about 200 damage and will adjust mid-stab so you can't roll away. Enjoy!

This is what I get for going back and playing single player instead of just continuing multi. I have no ideas how Fencers deal with 90% of these stages. All their decent options are short-range...

Fencer is the high technical class, you really have to try with him and figure out the tricks and poo poo. For ranged, I always favor dual hand-cannons for massive, massive damage at a decent rate of fire. Two NC102's carried me through half of Normal and then half of Hard.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OH NO MAN posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ, the final mission :staredog::pcgaming::black101:

That was the most amazing thing. I nearly got killed right at the end when I managed to run out of laser chainsaw energy just as a dragon decided to chomp on me, Escaped with 130 health, and proceeded to do a desperate run through the area for more health while lasers and explosions were going off all around me. Fortunately I managed to find a few health pickups, because if I had died at that point in the mission and had to start all over again I'd probably have said "gently caress this poo poo" and put the game down for a while.

Also, this game has the best credits music.

That final mission seems like it's designed to get incredibly intense your first time through no matter what. I did it as Fencer, and basically realized early on that there was NO WAY I could actually kill everything in the map, I had to basically burst down the boss. This led to an incredibly tense situation where I started to goof off and then the final part of the mission happened and just melted through my HP and I was forced to madly dash around for health in order to do one last heroic burst on the Brain.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The trick with the Fencer's charging weapons (the swords and hammers and such), is that they're considerably more effective if you're wielding two of them. You get a two-hit combo and everything. It can be hard to aim sometimes, but weapons like the Dynamo Blade are still pretty fun to use sometimes.

I still swear by my Flashing Spear series though. Less damage than a Blasthole, more than a Jackhammer, better mobility than both. It probably does less DPS than either of them, but it feels really cool to dash up to a Hector and basically slam its crotch 10 times with rapid fire impalement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

The javelin catapult is the usual weapon for that, it holds 200 or so ammo and fires one at a time and completely eliminates dash cooldown.

It does have the downside of being ONLY useful for dash cancelling, unlike shields which you can actually use for other stuff. Overall it depends on the situation and your own playstyle.