Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i don't think i actually care anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what happened to the real blackberry thread? anyway this is from bgr so

quote:

Good news, BlackBerry fans: your favorite phone maker is reportedly developing an absolute beast of a smartphone that features killer specs that crush anything else on the market right now. The bad news, however, is that the phone apparently won’t be competing with any smartphones on the market right now. Instead, if BlackBerry does decide to launch this screaming high-end handset, it apparently won’t debut until sometime in the summer of 2015.

A recent report from N4BB stated that in addition to the upcoming quad-core BlackBerry “Ontario,” the Waterloo-based handset maker is also developing a smartphone that will be powered by the 20-nanometer Snapdragon MSM8994 chipset. Among the platform’s standout features:

Eight CPU cores
64-bit archetecture
Clockspeeds of up to 2.5GHz
1600MHz 4GB RAM LPDDR3 PoP
Adreno 430 500 MHz
Pixel fill Rate 6Gpix/s
Vertex 500Mtri/s
OpenGL ES3.0, direct x11.1, OpenCL1.2

N4BB says its unnamed sources aren’t sure if BlackBerry still plans to launch the phone but if it does, the handset’s debut probably won’t take place until sometime next summer. While the idea of a 2.5GHz octa-core handset with 4GB of RAM is certainly impressive today, specs like these will likely be the norm a year and a half from now, which means the phone will need some standout user-facing features if it hopes to succeed.

future phone is amazing compared to currently released phones.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fyi the qnx that is used in most cars is basically red hat linux running on a qnx kernel. sync was so bad they replaced it with linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
our strategy: lets make the same old thing that we were making when our marketshare cratered

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

oh yeah, this was totally their decision and not tmo telling them to go gently caress themselves. you can't fire me, i quit!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

I wonder what it will be like to do a battery pull on my fridge.

welp, it's hosed. looks like you're gonna have to do a full defrost

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey i need to buy a blackberry os 10 device for comedy reasons but am unwilling to pay the ebay price. how do i get a cheap playbook, yospos?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

this is what happens with every secure system. the people who use it don't give a gently caress and just want their jobs to be easy. see also: healthcare

i have to say, the IT systems at my local hospital (independent) are pretty impressive to watch. the nurse communication systems and the wyse terminals and automatic walk up logins all seem to work well and nobody is bitching about tech. contrast that with the sutter health branch nearby where they all have a bunch of dust-filled dell boxes running windows with some hacked on login manager and everything is poo poo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last line kills me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

say that again

s/not mandating/now mandating/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blackula69 posted:

guys blackberry actually made a profit and cut operating expenses by more than half since last year

maybe they won't die???

quote:

However, revenue tumbled to $966 million for the three months ended May 31, compared with $3.07 billion a year ago.

revenue fell by two thirds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

https://twitter.com/danielhsqr/status/479585246498021376 posted:

$BBRY actually burned $255M The gains came from a $397 tax refund and the $287M sale of their real estate / offices.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
blackberry taking the "faster horse" concept to the next level

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

nobody is doing this. it would be like a presidential candidate putting out an attack ad against Abraham Lincoln.

they can't say the press, analysts, and everyone you know is badmouthing blackberry because they've seen what a good phone is, so they have to invent a boogeyman. if you asked apple or samsung to name their top five competitors I don't think blackberry would make the list.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
deathwatch deathwatch DEATHWATCH DEATHWATCH

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remove batteries and throw them in an industrial shredder

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

run the secure delete function from the security menu.

it does a complete overwrite of the device storage, which is why it take like 20 minutes to run.

lol wtf is this poo poo? why doesn't it just throw away the encryption keys?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ford has a lot of employees but most of them are blue collar factory workers that don't get company phones. it's not like a huge bank or medical supplier where almost everyone needs email to get their job done.

but lol at any enterprise that isn't already well into the migration away from blackberry.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unexpected circumstances like their competitors continuing to make increasingly better phones and growing their ecosystems, leaving blackberry further behind

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Skulduggery posted:

no but really even if you work there you'd have to be pretty dense to think you're not on a sinking ship

consider that blackberry must be handing out stock like candy to employees, and while it's still absolutely in the toilet, it has made some big relative jumps lately which might be worth a lot of money to them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blackula69 posted:

why the gently caress do nerdy iyg idiots always need remote access poo poo on their mobile devices

to manage their anime torrents

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Joanna doesn't approve

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you managed to get that thing in your pocket wouldn't the corners be trying to tear their way out through your pants?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

200,000 preorders for passport.

what, why? who would do this?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

stop posting reviews of my dillz pls

quote:

Over the last month, numerous strangers have approached me to ask about my dillz. They are always men. The women I’ve shown my dillz to — including female colleagues, my wife and her friends — seem vaguely horrified by the thing. Even with two hands, my dillz feels like something that fell off the bottom of an old fridge. I assure them that they’d get used to it in a few days, if they give it a chance. But the starkly boxy aesthetics scare them off.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yeah sidekicks were cool because they were texting machines with a full keyboard (and I think unlimited texts), and they also saved your pictures in the cloud.

then sidekick was acquired by Microsoft and all of the good people immediately left and formed a company called android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

but the people who stayed behind were driven by superstar executive roz ho to build such amazing hardware as the microsoft kin 1 and microsoft kin 2

you forget that before that they also managed to wipe out the sidekick cloud without having a backup, losing lots of user data.

Microsoft then made the sidekick people switch from FreeBSD and Java to windows CE for the kin, which is what made everyone leave.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
on the one hand, good for him for not forcing his wife to use that terrible phone. on the other hand lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ahmeni posted:

it's really surprising you have to manually reset the blackberry these days, you'd think their qnx stuff would be able to reboot itself mid flight like those cars that would accelerate infinitely

I'm sure the kernel is fine. figuring out that user space has wedged itself into a condition it will never recover from is very difficult to do, so the kernel doesn't know the system needs a reboot.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol BlackBerry figured out that the fewer phones they sell the less money they lose

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
8,000 units? that's basically a rounding error.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm fairly certain that blackberry only exists now as a way to transfer value from the shareholders to the creditors (who chose the CEO). they are only pretending to be working on products to avoid lawsuits.

hey blackula, do an investigative report on this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

want to short bbry but there's still a chance some other company will buy them for a stupid amount of money

don't short a company when it's already low, the time to short was when it was at $80 and it was obvious it would all crumble

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I know that but it's at $10 now which just seems so overpriced

agreed, but it is also more volatile. a rumored buyout could shoot it up on any given day and combined with a short squeeze it could spike it up temporarily for serious pain for you.

this is a better idea:

Munkeymon posted:

don't short - trade options

much less risky and you can still profit from the mistakes and incompetence of others

but when they go private or taken over by Canada you'll lose your bet.

and like I said before, I think the lenders are stripping blackberry for its assets. they will spin off a division holding patents, real estate, and whatever other things of value they have and give it to the lenders and then declare bankruptcy. I wouldn't put my money anywhere near that company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mister Macys posted:

Not even corporatists like Harper or Wynne would advocate nationalization. There's just not enough jobs to be lost to risk alienating their neocon base.

sure, you say that now but what happens when the Canadian government / gouvernement Canadien has to switch to filthy American OS phones?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
really secure things don't have cutesy names FunTab or iPad, they have serious, boring names that imply they are designed for serious business. one could even suggest that they are tools, not toys

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

and they were cashflow positive thanks to a 105 million firesale of assets, mostly a bunch of patents

:ms:

yep, it's all bullshit. they also cut their R&D budget to nothing, so that cuts down on expenses. the fact that nobody in the press is calling them out on it is shameful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was in Canada once, it was okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dislike button posted:

wow a bit stubborn are we

probably drunk