Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The 13 banned in Legacy/Vintage cards are going to be Un-set cards reprinted :getin:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

[...]
4. There are a couple store-specific rules to make things more fair and sensible:
-All infinite combos stop at 3 iterations.

Is this absolute, or per-turn? If I have a loop that lets me infinitely recur acidic slime, do I just get to blow up 3 lands and then stop, or is it three lands on my turn, three lands on the next player in my range's turn, etc?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Chorocojo posted:

Well, remember. Sarkhan's spark ignited because he made contact with a dragon spirit. I am totally fine with GHOST DRAGON world.

Hoping we find some Ulgin references outside of Zendikar if we're getting up in spirit dragon buisiness :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

I know this is like the epitome of first world problems but man, Karador Ghost Chieftan is such a lame Judge Promo.

I care less that it's not a widely-used card and more that it's going to encourage more Karador EDH decks and those are always horrid to play against.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

Sorin Markov in edh is absolutely gently caress retarded and should be banned. That is all.

Magister sphinx is worse since it can be reanimated/cloned, spreading the dickery to the entre table.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

And suddenly I'm strongly tempted to grab a playset of Boros Charms and forsake my beloved Hidden Strings and make R/W Heroic :black101:

Maybe move the Hidden Strings and make this deliciously silly as hell B/U Heroic deck a friend showed me yesterday and laughed at my reaction to. Imagine turning an Artisan of Forms into an Agent of Fates, then casting another spell on it and using the Artisan's heroic trigger to turn into something nice on your opponent's field before the Artisan-as-Agent's heroic trigger also goes off and makes your opponent blow it up.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 7, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

I'm trying to figure out a good way to carry around my EDH deck. Since I'm annoying token guy, I'm bringing along a set of all the tokens I'll need (about 20) in addition to the 100 double-sleeved cards in the deck. Is there anything that's convenient without being giant? Everything else I have is in Legion-sized deckboxes.

See if your LGS has 300ct cardboard boxes? One holds my (Kinda doublesleeved because of my extensive proxies to test stuff) EDH deck + an old mtg precon deck full of assorted stuff. That or the 200ct since I have a lot of filler dreck.

Or build 6-9 more EDH decks and store them in a Holiday Box :kheldragar:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Korak posted:

Return to Homelands

:stonk: Please no.

Also, have we gotten the card spoiled yet that has the previewed Terese Nielsen artwork yet?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Boco_T posted:

Fleetfeather Cockatrice seems really good in limited even if it means you're going immediately into 2 colors. Certainly better than Stormchaser Chimera.

This, Horizon Chimera, and Agent of Horizons make simic limited potentially very nasty.

Also, a :skink:! :kimchi:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I really wish Drink Faygo was U/B so I could slot him seamlessly into my thievery EDH deck

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Tardigrade posted:

Virtually everyone at the prerelease today wants to play White, and there's precious little of it left after the Friday event. Don't think I've ever seen that much bias in favor of one prerelease pack.

I bucked the trend and went Red, opened a Stormbreath. Every single opponent I landed it against tried to play a white removal spell on it on their turn. :kheldragar: Even managed to kill a UB Control player with my Pinned to the Earth Stormbreath (Monstrous trigger damage and a combat trick instant)

Also: Sigiled Skink + Aspect of Gorgon = Free scry and 3 damage every turn

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 26, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

mehall posted:

If you're referring to Ashiok, Ashiok is Ashiok. There is no "he" or "she", merely Ashiok.

If knowing Ashiok's gender would be comforting to you, I have bad news

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

BW Midrange was 1st place after cut to top 8, or am I misreading something? (Also woo that guy is local and plays at my LGS)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

tzirean posted:

That Elesh Norn and Hanna are the best motivations I've ever had for finally taking my L1 exam.

The population of L1s might be experiencing a bit of an uptick soon. Fortunately I know a L2 who hangs out at my LGS fairly often and has a nice box of rules interaction training puzzles. Need to get to studying. Want that Hanna so bad

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

So I 4-0(-1)'d my (32ish person, fair amount of competitiveness) FNM last night and split for first. With RB Minotaurs :stare:

Everyone was confused and amused. I managed to luck out and never had to play a deck with UW in it. My matches:
RW Burn 2-0 (An intense knifefight of a match. Most of my creatures have 3 toughness and synergize with each other, meaning burn meant for my head has to go to them, and I have a surplus of removal for their scarce utility creatures)

Jund Monsters 2-1 (Went off too fast one game, they got a bad set of draws the next game. Shoutouts to my singleton Slaughter Games for eating 4 Stormbreaths in the game I lost, and for grabbing all his sideboard Anger of the Gods in another game)

MBC 2-0 (In hindsight for my opponent, him keeping a triple thoughtseize hand wasn't the best of ideas, but I usually have amusingly good matchups against MBC. I can eat Rats with my bulls and mortars, I can dreadbore and deathtouch my way through Demon, and Whip/Slaughter games post-board deals with Gary From Accounting)

Black Aggro 2-0 (Highlight of the match: I had a Ragemonger and another Minotaur on the board, so 4 power represented. Opponent has a Master of the Feast out, puts a Spiteful Returned on it, hits me for 9. Life is now 14-4 or so in my opponent's favor. I draw, play my fifth land, set down a Kragma Warcaller and another minotaur and suddenly my 4 damage is 16 hasted.)

I then took my store credit winnings and bought Space Alert, so it was a good night. Bonus: Someone came up to me and said they wanted to build a minotaur deck, and asked for my decklist. I wrote it down, and he went and bought the entire thing with some trade-ins. Blood for Mogis :black101:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

so RW burn seems to have pretty insane matchups in standard right now. Everyone is trying to stretch their manabases as much as possible and doing tons of damage to themselves with Mana Confluence, plus monoblue has been getting steadily more out of favor.

Its a friggin joy to behold a bunch of incinerates wreck face all over control and black devotion decks

I like the way you think. Not just because my deck has a pretty good matchup against burn, but I approve of anything that kills control decks.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kabanaw posted:

Doesn't dying on Theros mean you go to the underworld? Maybe Athreos will just ask Elspeth to pay her passage and she just says "haha bye" and planeswalks away.

On the bright side...potential lead-in for a B/W Elspeth? :getin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Is the DCI suffering from some sort of Judge shortage recently? Seriously, between the promos they've shown off already and now those loving lands, they're going to make a lot of wizard poker nerds who were on the edge about becoming judges think very very hard.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

This page of MaRo's article for the day makes me wonder if the gimmick for Huey/Tarkir block is in fact going to be the one that they mention here that got shut down due to inability to design it at the time. Khans of Tarkir being nomads & dragons, Warlords of Tarkir being more civilized/medevil and all the dragons dead, and Louie of Tarkir being... renaissancey? Dragonbone fossil fuels?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

My Conspiracy highlights:
Seeing a foil Dank Fandango pulled at the midnight release.

Drafting RG with 6 conspiracies resulting in me having four 2/2 mana-making Copperhorn Elves, two mana-making skitter lizards, and 3-drop hasty Pitchburn Devils. Ended up splitting with a guy who had a 15/15 and an Altar of Dementia out (We were able to kill each other and were the only two dominating presences, so we agreed to work together. He milled out someone with a big defensive boardstate and small deck, and I rolled over the guy with no boardstate)

Someone in another pod getting the "Open another pack" creature, buying a pack of Rise, and windmill slamming an Ulamog down.

Drafting again later, all my desired colors dried up, and I got two of the "You get all the last pick" cards. I ended up grabbing every basic landcycler I could find, ended up with 10ish of them across all five colors, threw in some removal and random bombs, and went 5-Color Badstuff. Had all 5 basics and Mirrodin's Core out on turn 6. Got a lucky Magister of Worth play to fix the board, and ended up fast-talking/evil-viziering my way into another split with a guy who lived the dream and got Defender-Burn to work: full playsets of Cinder Wall and Vent Sentinel, several Guardian Zendikons, and the conspiracy that let him grab all his Vent Sentinels when he cast one.

e: Oh. My LGS ran seventeen Conspiracy 8-man pods in a 12 hour period. Seventeen. People love to draft here.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 8, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I didn't get to watch the SCG Legacy yesterday. Did Dan Francisco show up at all in any decks?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Standard schmandard, that baby's going right into an EDH deck. Dunks their combat commander and everything else that swung in.

Also: My LGS' stance on preregs for prereleases is something like: If you prereg, you get a voucher for a free pack when the set releases, and the midnight Friday prerelease is preregs only (though they'll accept preregs for it up until I think 11PM that night to give them some time to get everything set up and running, since the midnight events need to go a little swifter by virtue of being allnighters)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

It Comes
:kheldragar::hf::getin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's 5 colour, you're getting into Exodia levels of bullshit just putting the colours together and getting the sliver to cast.

In fact, just print sliver Exodia.

Door to Nothingness/Coalition Victory.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Elyv posted:

newly spoiled card, it's kind of cute

Someone playing against a RG deck with Hornet Nest on the board swings in with a pile of 4+ toughness fatties. RG guy Lightning Blasts his Hornet's Nest, eats the big things with bugs :3:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Where are the Red/Blue/Green slivers, I need to know if I should reassemble my deck for super standard.

Also I thought Goblin Kaboomist was the best name M15 gave us, then they rolled out Scuttling Doom Engine :syoon:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

In theoretical EDH Magical Christmas Land, could you Ensoul Artifact a non-artifact that has become one via Darksteel Mutation being put on it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Mikujin posted:

Fun things to do:

Step 1. Get both Karn, Silver Golem and Karn Liberated into play.
Step 2. Play Mycosynth Lattice.
Step 3. Play Bludgeon Brawl.
Step 4. Equip your Robot Karn with your other Robot Karn and watch him crack skulls with his skulls!

It's golems all the way down baby :roboluv:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

At least once, and I'd like to see screenshots when it does. I'd love an Urborg reprint just because I rarely get the chance to use flavour text from classic literature nowadays.

RIP Scathe Zombies and the perfect quote from Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

One step closer to Duel Decks: Guay v Nielsen :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maro must fall for the Birds to fly again.

Ken Nagle must become the new Magic Man.

If there was a payable price to bring back Odyssey-esque Bird Tribal...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kangee, Aerie Keeper is efectively a legendary with an X in its casting cost. :parrot:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

Not sure that it can do infinite damage as Midnight Guard needs to ping the Nest so it can untap. Doubtless this poo poo will become some kind of bogeyman at my local scene regardless, just like Sunbond did.

Two creatures ETB, two untap triggers, use one and immediately tap again to ping opponent for 2, the other to untap and ping the nest for 2 and make two more hornets that ETB trigger repeat

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

First FNM in a few weeks and especially since M15 just came out. Rolled out the Minotaurs deck (-3 swamps +3 Temples, -2 Fanatic (one in sideboard) +1 Slaughter Games from sideboard, +1 Fellhide Spiritbinder), went 4-1 :hellyeah:

Round 1 vs Boss Sligh w/random M15 test cards: Lost 2-1. Game 1 I rolled over him, Game 2 got manascrewed, Game 3 he set up the perfect storm of creatures and burn and killed me on turn 4 right after I dropped a Whip. As it turns out, when you drop a lot of creatures on the board, that 4 damage convoke burn spell is really good, ow.

Round 2 vs some R/W aggro/burn thing: Won 2-0. I think it was some cross between Sligh and Burn? The kid was kinda young so I don't know. Had more creatures than burn, but also had helixes and phoenixes (and madcap skills?) and the other burnspells. Game 1 was a lot of killing on both sides until I set up enough beef to run him down, Game 2 he mulliganed to five, drew no land, and imploded.

Round 3 vs Mono-G: Won 2-0. Game 1, killed his Coursers before he could find Nykthos, had a Dreadbore ready for Polukranos, Trample+Deathtouch through everything else. Game 2 he was stuck on one forest for most of the game but kept dropping Mystics, Caryatids, Satyrs, and Coursers as I kept running them over with bulls, it was still pretty impressive.

Round 4 vs R/U Artifacts: Won 2-1. Game 1 I start by T2 Mortars-ing his T2 Generator Servant because I will have none of that poo poo. Chump blocked his eventual Ensouled Darksteel Citadel and beat him to death with a regenerating Madcap Skills'd minotaur. Game 2 is T1 Ornithopter T2 Ensoul and I don't have a killspell, RIP. Game 3 I start pulling my sided-in Rakdos Charms and keep him in control as I throw cows at him. Turn 4 I topdeck my 1-of maindeck Slaughter Games, and laugh as I nuke his Ensoul Artifacts. He ends up having to sacrifice two or three Generator Servants to overload a Cyclonic Rift to keep me off lethal, but I replay my creatures across two turns and Trample+Deathtouch through his topdecked Doom Engine to kill him with Doom Engine's would-be-lethal damage on the stack.

Round 5 vs G/W Tokens: Won 2-0. Game 1 he plays a lot of Soldier of the Pantheons, Experiment Ones, and centaur tokens, I Madcap Skills a regenerating trampling minotaur (that eventually gets deathtouch) and just swing it through all his stuff while having stabilized with enough 3-4 toughness things back to block. Game 2 he mulls to 6, doesn't look happy, and drops a T2 Fleecemane and T3 Unflinching Courage. I topdeck a Blood Crypt (opening hand of three mountains, no black sources) to Dreadbore it and proceed to set up the eventual wall of beef, though my swing for lethal is with me at 1 life swinging for 14 trample+deathtouch at him with 13 life and mana for an Advent in hand.

Minotaurs own (as long as nobody has U/W)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 26, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Wurzag posted:

That deck only has 20 lands. I appreciate that most of the deck is really cheap mana cost wise but did you not find yourself screwed for mana all the time (especially with 4 coming in tapped)? I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'd like to play somethimg similar

Most of the deck is 2-3 drops, the key 3 drop makes everything cheaper, and I really hate putting more than 20 land into a deck since I usually play things vaguely aggro-themed and I am a baddie at deckbuilding. It usually works though. Usually. Putting in another land or two to replace Madcaps probably wouldn't hurt (especially if they were Mutavaults, but :homebrew:) but that probably won't become an experiment until Khans when my shocks and every single noncreature spell all rotate out en masse and there's currently no adequate replacement for them

Replacing Mortars, Dreadbore, and Madcap with Lightning Strike, Doom Blade/Downfall, and ...Inferno Fist? Hammerhand? does not sound appealing in the slightest, and I'm hoping hard for Sulfurous Springs to somehow be in Khans to finish the M15 cycle as well as whatever else may be the new lands. I'm hoping hard for Khans to give me adequate replacement tools overall.

Zorak posted:

THE JESKAI ARE COOL AS gently caress YHOLY loving poo poo

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT BIRDMAN IS BUT IT IS GETTING OPEN PALM SLAMMED INTO MY EDH DECK SO HARD.

GonSmithe posted:

Oh my god you guys.

I just figured out the best possible Planeswalker we could get from these "Legends who didn't get cards" Commander ideas.

Slobad, while he had the spark on Mirrodin.

Give me Leshrac/Freyalise/Ravi/Serra/Tevesh Szat or give me death.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 26, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I'm seriously enjoying the fact that Tarkir appears to be somewhat of a melting pot of races that either haven't been seen before or are comparatively underdeveloped. We've hit the point where even tribes that more or less didn't exist for the first half of Magic's history are becoming seriously overexposed by comparison (cat people, I'm looking at you) so a world of snakes, orcs, dogs and djinns, plus whatever else, will be pretty refreshing.

Second from the left. That makes two birdmen. Avens are back, baby, oh yeah :parrot:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

vOv posted:

I definitely bet a lot of people are going to think they can shock a morphed creature in response to the controller unmorphing it (you can't because unmorphing doesn't use the stack for exactly this reason).

Convoke used to be a cost reductor instead of a mana ability, so they miiiight change this for conveniences' sake.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Deckit posted:

That's how I won two conspiracy drafts so far. Making a 60 card deck and letting everyone else run out of cards. Reito Lanterns SNIPED.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Worldknit is great.

True fact, I had 2-3 cards left in my deck in a conspiracy game when I won against a Reito Lantern deck. I had 60+ cards and Worldknit, and so much card draw. Know how I won? Double Parlay cards when Reito Lantern deck was at 1 card in deck and tapped out.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

I forgot Slaughter Games can't be countered. Yeah I'd run that instead until rotation.

Stain is easier to splash for but I do have a Minotaurs deck that could have fun with some Slaughter Games. :unsmigghh:

My Minotaur deck runs one maindeck Slaughter Games for the shits&giggles (and because I seem to never draw my few 4drops normally anyway so it's not a major loss) and it finally paid off against a Jund Monsters deck when I nuked his Stormbreaths the turn before he was going to play one.

The other fun Minotaur deck trick against Jund/Mono-Green is to play a Felhide Petrifier right after they play Polukranos. "Sure, dump all your mana into killing one of my minotaur combo pieces or my 1-toughness Scarhides, you're not getting a fat hydra out of it anymore"

For such a relatively straightforward deck, I seem to generate one judge call a week, and it's always over the same thing (Deathtouch + Trample). Minotaurs own as long as you're not playing against U/W(/X?) decks. Post your decklist in the Brewhaus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

If you play Minotaurs you can easily have your entire field with Trample+Deathtouch :black101:

• Locked thread