Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Skinrender or Massacre Wurm. I love big fat black demons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

redstormpopcorn posted:

MTG Familiar owns because it's developed by a guy who loves Magic and doesn't want to dick over other players.

Also a good looking app. Downloaded.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
+1'ing that Shattergang Brothers is an extremely fun deck, more so if you make it a Goblin Tribal deck.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Conspiracy seems cool as poo poo, I hope they'll be able to do it on MODO.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Another reserve list related death.

Haha, is this actually A Thing?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I prefer to Xerox my opponents hand

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Watching GP paris with Simon Goertzen commentating and he is pretty good. I like him, LSV, and Marshall Sutcliffe, since they have pretty easy-to-listen-to voices.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Say gui again, motherfucker!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MrBling posted:

The thing I like most about the Magic lore is that I can completely ignore it and still play the game since it has no actual gameplay impact.

bro you`re a planeswalker

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

50 pounds of bread posted:

You know what sucks? Wizards broadcast team.

Marshall isn't terrible. Having to listen to Brian David Marshall is, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Samael posted:

I like these. :)

and they are for sale, I have been thinking of buying them for a while.

Are these body pillow sized? Or magic cards?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

pointsofdata posted:

I want to play magic with cool cards at reasonable prices, not spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of cardboard.

You're probably interested in the wrong hobby, then. Unless you play MTGO, then you can spend hundred of dollars on a piece of digital cardboard.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If the Zendikar fetches are reprinted as rares, will we be able to redraft them?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
LSV can play with his cards however the gently caress he wants to, he is the man

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The guy in the picture is the gooniest neckbeard ever, but that is still pretty funny.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sdr782 posted:

Anyone in the Flemington, NJ area, my friend is hosting a WPA sanctioned draft tonight at 6:30 at the Flemington Elk's Lodge. There will be a bar with $2 drafts so you can drink while you draft. It's $15 and BNG-THS-THS format with prize support.

If I didn't have to drive almost two hours in traffic I would totally be up for that. Fuckin' love drafts and drafts :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sdr782 posted:

I understand thats a rough journey, it is going to be a regular thing so in the future feel free to join us.

You dudes should totally do it on the weekends and/or friday at a slightly later start time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: What a Judas Trading Station

As a guy who primarily plays MODO due to lack of real life time (FNM :smith: ) it is interesting to see the difference between the paper and digital markets, since most of the online stuff is all run by automated bots, for the most part.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

qbert posted:

The owner of an LGS I frequent claims to have 8-10 copies of each of the recent sets because he's able to assemble them on MTGO and then use whatever policy Wizards has where they'll mail you a paper version of the set if you've completed it online.

I don't play MTGO, so is this really a thing, and is it a cheaper method of getting a copy of a set than trying to buy the cards normally?

Yeah, that is a thing. I haven't drafted Theros block enough, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mulletstation posted:

You guys could make a lot more money by trading equities. Also equities aren't magical cardboard game pieces and they don't require you to physically mail them to someone to get money out.

That said, it's kind of absurd how MTG lands have only skyrocketed, and I really hope they print a ton of fetchlands and ruin SCG.

Some of us have enough disposable income to trade and spend money on wizard cards :smuggo:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Veyrall posted:

Honestly, I think Thragtusk really needed trample in order to make it a Constructed-viable card. A 5/3 for 5 is just not good enough any more.

Fantastic troll post

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

I just wanna Whip back a Wurmcoil Engine.

My favorite deck in the superstandard last hurrah of Scars Block was RG Trading Post with Wurmcoil Engines, Ichor Wellsprings, Slagstorms, Solemn Simulacrums, with green for ramp and Wolf Run.

Dude! I ran a deck like that during that same time, with Spine of Ish Sah, a couple of Phyrexian Metamorphs, Wurmcoil Engine, and other durdly nonsense. It was great.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Caw Blade standard was degenerate as gently caress. I can't even remember a deck that you could play that wasn't blue/white with Jace and a bunch of swords/birds/etc.

Not terribly interactive magic, that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When do Journey Into Nix spoilers start?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress off with the Phantom points, Wizards.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MTGO crashed and down, yet again. What an embarrassing product.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I play mono black control in Pauper and it is fun enough. Pauper is an odd format.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a modern proliferate deck at all? I loved that mechanic - and it should work with the ROE levelers too, correct?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How do I get one of those Force of Wills?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My LGS wants to run a Modern FNM, which I would totally go out of the way to play at, so maybe I'll brew something up.

e: ^^^ Thanks. I have three, so maybe I'll get there :shrug:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, how do you guys organize your cards? Just got the first two of five Playsets I ordered. Sorted everything by set, color, and in order of mana cost... But I'm at a complete loss of an organized way to handle the multicolored stuff :downs:

MODO :smuggo:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

morning wood posted:

Well I've been playing MTG for a little over a month and I'm going to try my first booster draft for FNM this week. Any tips would be appreciated!

Limited is the best Magic, fellow wizard friend.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ScarletBrother posted:

Are the common print runs that are on MODO the same ones that appear in paper?

Yes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tymaret recursion in murdergoatse is the best thing ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

What a Judas posted:

I like mail!

In soviet russia, war and peace sword you

not sure if that is russian but it is awesome

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

jhorphear posted:

Ok, lets see if this works, here is that altered image card I mentioned earlier

:nws:http://imgur.com/vvC2Vpd.jpg:nws:

omg so funny XD

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So I'm considering going to Grand Prix Philly, since it appears to be all limited and no constructed nonsense. This would be my very first Grand Prix, and I usually play MTGO, so I'm going to have to get used to announcing triggers and what not.

What do I need to know? My asscrack will be covered at all times, I assure you.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah the new MTGO client is a piece of poo poo for completely different reasons than the current client is a piece of poo poo.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

netcat posted:

I seriously have zero problems with the old client. The UI is old and ugly but somehow usable, there are some stability issues but that's mostly the backend at this point. The new client however...

Yeah the old client is great as far as stability and usability go. As a new player picking it up, I would be so intimidated I wouldn't even bother.

The new client is great as far as UI goes, but suffers from some horrible optimization and memory leaks (seriously I've seen it use 6+ GB before :wtc: )

One of the biggest issues I have as an almost daily MODO player is that this is the same goddamn company that had a hand in Duels of the Planeswalkers, an obviously superior coded game. The fact that MTGO exists in the state it does and Duels is A Better Thing is frankly, inexcusable. I'm not even talking graphics, just in form and function.

Worth Wollpert seems to be in a tough place, and most of the problems are (probably) out of his hands. If I was in a position to re-do MTGO, however, I'd start from the ground up with modern technologies. Maybe even make it a browser based thing in HTML5 or something, get tablet/mobile support going, etc.

anyway the whole MTGO experience isn't as good as it could be and not very intuitive, but I'll still give them my money because I like being able to play whenever I'm on the road or in my PJs on a sunday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Will Wizards ever implement Rare Redrafting into their digital games, is the big question here.

• Locked thread