Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Olivia Volderan is probably my favourite, followed by Kaalia and Vela. I just like playing black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Elysiume posted:

FtV barely counts as a reprint. It's not like that many get made and they're a bitch and a half to get.

Unless you're on MTGO :getin:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

How bad was the Phyrexia vs Coalition? The shop I got to still has about...4? sealed boxes of them.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I think the style guide is just fine. Worked well for Ravnica and Alara. I only came in around Scars so a lot of the old art doesn't really do anything for me. I'm used to ti though since I'm pretty sure L5R uses the same kind of thing and has fantastic art :shobon:

Really dislike the first Mirrodin block art though, apart from some rk posts' stuff.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Also, the old gold frames were horrible. Absolutely terrible.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think I really agree with him: he really seems to be reaching with Godless Shrine. I would also wonder if the photoshop complaint isn't just down to how some artists do their work, and older magic had some that way worse. Kozilek owns :colbert:

I do agree with him about Ron Spencer though.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

This reminds me that Worldfire seems like one of those cards that gets you kicked out of EDH games.

It's banned in EDH. Probably because it's easy to cheat and can prolong the game even more.

I'm still mad about Panoptic Mirror being banned :argh:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

netcat posted:

Man, that was just incredibly rude :(

What was he playing?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I like the new Body Double art.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, some people will hate group hug decks since they can also really drag games out and create stalemates.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

Isn't L5R the game where there's a rule that you lose Victory Points or life or whatever if you touch their card (to spin it around and read it) without asking permission, bowing and throwing salt in the air in a ceremony first?

No, this hasn't been a rule for a while now. It certainly isn't at the tournaments I've been to recently.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I imagine Azrious paperwork for Unauthorized Statues is way easier than the paperwork for murder, he's probably just trying to get out of that :v:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Man Magic Forge rapidly becomes real unfun if you're trying to play Quest mode "properly" without cheating. Hard decks just start dropping moxes and poo poo all over the place.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Mortimer posted:

IIRC it has level scaling, in that it'll bring you more and more broken decks until you start to lose, then slowly bring it down. At least that's what I've found :shrug:

Ah, right. Might just be I haven't lost enough yet, since all the decks are still diffculty "hard". My rag-tag B/W/G deck was no longer cutting it :v:

EDIT: I still think starting you at 15 life is a little harsh.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

AI, I don't think you need all those Sneak Attacks.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Devor posted:

Whoever was bitching about the difficulty jump in Magic Forge, jesus christ you were right. On Easy I was winning pretty much every game. The AI isn't super effective at using some of the techy combos, but sometimes it used it pretty effectively. I still won most of my games, and the ones I lost were at least a little close.

Jumped up to medium, and immediately got annihilated by two decks with idiot-proof game plans of "drop lands, count the lands, it means bad things for you". Which is just un-fun to play against with my limited deck. Limited vs Constructed is just a huge bummer.

It sinkholed me turns 2 and 3 once. I lost that match.

EDIT: I've also seen it go: Land, Mox, Mox, end turn.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's quite an obnoxious jump, yes. On the other hand, the AI is still completely incompetent (one example: it will attack a 2/2 into a pair of 1/3s every time. But it will never attack a 2/2 into something that would trade with it, even when the trade is favourable), so all you really need is some Limited-grade removal and solid creatures to grind out wins. It also doesn't understand creature abilities - it will block a Festering Newt with a 2-toughness creature, and will never sacrifice anything to Desecration Demon even when you're swinging for lethal. Even with all the power the AI has access to, a typical Standard deck would just walk all over it.

And as much fun as getting old cards is, you're much better off opening Standard packs for getting power creatures and the like.

Yeah It behaves oddly sometimes: it didn't attack for ages despite outnumbering me with Persist creatures because I had a Black Knight with a sword of light and shadow equipped.

Also I just got to Beacon of Unrest this GB Mortivore decks Geth, and then used the geth to get a 32/32 Lord of Extinction :allears:

EDIT: For removal, check the Ravinca spell shop often: you get the chance to see stuff like Ultimate Price, Putrefy and Mortify.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I tried editing Quest Preferences in Forge but it never seems to save them.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

a dozen swans posted:

My problem with forge was that when i started i didn't realize you had to actually download price data, so for a bit i sold all my uncommons and then bought a black lotus and three moxen for it, because each of them was just priced the same as any other rare.

Then i found out that i hadn't downloaded price data, and things suddenly made a lot more sense.

O h wow, I'd never seen that option. No wonder a mox pearl for 120 credits was such a steal :v: Slightly worried how this affects the difficulty when I'm already having trouble winning against hard decks.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Man, downloading the price thing for Forge actually makes Shandalar worth it! Cards from its sets sell for a bunch; Divine Transformation got about 200+ credits and a Mishra's Factory sold for 1000.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

That's some good prizes there :allears:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I would have been super tempted to play that Show and Tell.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Samael posted:

Noted. UK goons (I know there are some out there) are there legacy tournaments near you?

This was a couple of pages ago, but Manaleak in Worcester does Legacy tournaments every so often, I think. I know at least a couple of people play legacy there.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

It's also why it doesn't have dual lands.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I just wish foils didn't look like crap in the new interface and didn't make the old interface run like crap.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Grave Titan does as well, it's pretty cool.

EDIT: Infinity Wars' cards are all animated but the art is merely okay.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

He's the co-art director, I believe.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Fox of Stone posted:

I still find it really weird that nerds love JRPGs and anime but in the realm of cardboard it falls flat. L5R didn't do so hot either from what I recall.

L5R's still going. Nowhere the numbers of MTG but its got a pretty devoted fanbase. Number of players took a hit last arc due to oppressive decks though.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, no. L5R is down over 90% of its playerbase (and sales) from its peak because AEG has done everything in its power to sabotage every CCG they have produced at every turn. This isn't new, and it actually started back under FRPG.

Ah, right. Wouldn't know since I only started playing in Emperor. They had a post on their website during tournament season about tournament attendance being really the lowest its ever been. Hopefully this season is better.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Planeswalkers are also no longer god-like and I think Xenagos is still a pretty new planeswalker, so I'm not that surprised Nylea can kick him around a bit.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently the June FNM promo is Dissolve:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Wonder what the White one does. Tokens?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

+1/+1 counters stay on a Mutavault after it ceases becoming a creature right?

Yes. See also: Raging Ravine.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I want to punch whoever designed the challenges in Magic Forge. The Red Dungeon Crawling just starts off with Furnace of Rath in play was is hilariously cruel when you start with 15 life. All of them seem designed around "have this card or lose"

Also one of them is based around Propaganda effects, when Propaganda effects literally crash the game.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Every time I've tried to attack into Propoganda it just throws up an error then locks the game so you can't advance.

I've found the Blue Dungeon Crawling is a joke though since you'll draw so many cards you'll see everything you need to anyway.

The Black one( I think it's a dungeon crawling one) is kinda luck dependent in that you have to kind of hope it does spawn about 5-6 thrulls in first first flip off Infernal Genesis

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The proest hand( the A.I only had 3 lands, a Hedron Scrabbler with an Adventuring Gear, 2 Khalni Heart Expeditions and a Ior Ruin Expedition in play)

EDIT: motherfucking topdecked a Misty Rainforest.

EDIT: What's a good use of Steal Artifact? Enchant Mycosynth Wellspring, apparently.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 27, 2014

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

My first rare was some Zendikar thing. I imagine it must of been some vampire because I've spent all my time in magic making lovely vampire decks. That or Predatory Urge. gently caress Predatory Urge, I've opened that fucker too many times.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could happen, Sorin vs Tibalt was BW vs BR. I don't think the name cards have been different supertypes though.

Phyrexia vs the Coalition had Urza's Rage and Phyrexian Negator as the face cards.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Gyshall posted:

All this Hex vs MTG chat is cute and all, but I literally did not know Hex was A Thing until it was posted just now, and I will never play Hex because it is Not Magic The Gathering. hth

also those Conspiracy spoilers look sweet as hell. Wish it was on MODO tho :(

Some of the Conspiracy cards will be in Vintage Masters which will be on MTGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Has this been posted yet?
http://www.gameswelt.de/magic-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2015/news/exklusive-premium-karte-enthuellt,221462

Soul of Zendikar {4}{G}{G}
Creature - Avatar (Mythic)
Reach
{3}{G}{G}: Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
{3}{G}{G}, Exile Soul of Zendikar from your graveyard: Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
6/6

• Locked thread