Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ramos posted:

Right. We're either getting close to or past Yugioh levels of combo dumbness.

That's why they're Constructed banned.

Though Casual play might just get stupid/silly for some playgroups. :getin: Hopefully that will include the one I end up with at my new place in 2 weeks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

Holy poo poo when did gatherer change appearance?

Just a bit ago apparently. It was completely normal this morning. Now it looks like it's designed around mobile viewing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Attorney at Funk posted:

Cancel's not in M15? What will the common counterspell be, then, I wonder.

From a Standard viewpoint there's not much point in having Cancel back in immediately after taking out. Especially when Dissolve is a strictly better Cancel.

We'll probably get Negate or Mana Leak instead. Or maybe something new. Kinda doubt that though.

Functional Reprint of Mana Leak to go with an all new Non-Jace Blue Planeswalker? I can only dream. :sigh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They'll probably fall even faster once packs hit the store.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 15, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goferchan posted:

I started playing recently so never got to play with them last time around but if fetches were in a Standard environment where the dual lands in rotation didn't have basic land types & there also weren't any landfall effects, would they even be a must-include? I think I understand their role in a Modern manabase (since with shock lands or whatever they can basically fetch any combination of colors) but without that, they don't seem all that helpful.

If they reprint fetches they'll be in a set with a mechanic that can make use of them even without Duals with Basic Land Types. Landfall or Threshold or maybe something new.

And I will also never understand hate for shuffling. Can someone post/link one of these decks that supposedly does constant shuffling so I can see it for myself?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

redstormpopcorn posted:

Nicol Bolas is the only multicolor walker to show up in a core set, and I think it's probably staying that way for a while. I'm guessing:

W: Some Gideon variant since Gatecrash rotates out
U: 50/50 bet on Jace vs. Tamiyo
B: Garruk.
R: Koth. Maybe not KotH, since he's about due for a refresh.
G: Nissa.

I would be completely OK with this. Especially the part without Jace. A new version of Nissa and/or Tamiyo would be pretty cool.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My question is are these prices going to lead to "My digital cardboard futures investment fund :qq:" conversations on MTGO if the prices fall again at some unspecified future time?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The Web Admin is ruining magic. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

dragon enthusiast posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles

I do appreciate there being a mobile version now, but gutting the desktop one for the sake of ~*responsive design*~ ain't the way to do it.

The Gatherer works as a mobile site and a desktop site by design. This new design for the main site clearly didn't see enough planning/testing.

Trying to filter the Article Archive for instance break it and returns zero results. Filter options show a million things that probably shouldn't be showing up. Reseting the filter completely breaks the page and returns an "Illegal action" message with a note to contact the web admin.

:shepicide:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jscolon2.0 posted:

Hmmm, do I want to read an article from the archives by "Zac Hill" or one by "Zac Hill"?

I'd much rather read one by "Jon Leitheusser, Thomas M. Reid, Daniel Helmick, Christopher Perkins" or "By Jon Schindehette<br />Illustrations: Jesper Esjing, Conceptopolis"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It's not so much the design itself that's the problem. It's the fact that this site is a buggy pile as is.

If it was working people would be a bit turned around for a while but it'd be fine.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Darksteel Citadel isn't so bad on it's own. The real problem with artifact lands was the rest of the cycle.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Maybe we'll see the return of Fortifications in Tarkir?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stinky Pit posted:

It could also be that core sets are going to be the way they introduce reprints occasionally without having to worry about loving up the flavor of the big fall set.

I thought that was always part of the design.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The revenge of the return of Horsemanship. :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

As a teen I loved the Building on A Budget column on wizards.com, mostly for experimentation with ideas and and detailed deck evolution in the post-Heiss incarnations. It was about building a solid foundation around quirky ideas and giving underused cards a chance to shine.

Is there currently anything similar, at least in spirit, on the site?

I enjoy reading From the Lab but that's more like a Johnnys Paradise of "take a card and build a stupid and/or powerful combo around it."

I kinda want him to do another article like Spinning the Wheel though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kasonic posted:

I think the new site redesign has broken every single legacy link to articles. :(

I go back to MaRo's set design and color philosophy articles a lot for cube design. gently caress.

Here you go.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm still gonna hold out hope for a Garruk being our Mono-black Planeswalker for M15.

I'm gonna be so disappointed. :smith:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hopping Ghost posted:

It's a solid deck. In Legacy there are two main versions, one that runs LEDs and lands (including Cephalid Coliseum as sort of a "No Bazaar, huh? What else ya got?") and one that runs zero or almost-zero lands that goes off with an end-of-turn discard. There are a few variations within each of those, but those are the main two. Even without Bazaar it's still one of the most potentially explosive decks in the format, but it is weak to hate. The plus side is that unlike Vintage where everyone is ready to deal with Dredge, in Legacy metagames it tends to wax and wane so if you bring it while nobody's expecting much of it, it can do very well.

This is kinda the principle for all gimmick decks in all formats really. As we recently saw with RDW/Sligh at the SCG Invitational last weekend.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Has this argument achieved BINGO yet?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

Some rules changes since Onslaught:
Damage no longer goes on the stack, so you can't do things like block a 2/1 with a Sakura-Tribe Elder, get a land, and kill the 2/1 with the damage.
Mana Burn no longer exists
Planeswalkers exist
Legendaries work differently
Enchant Creature/Land/whatever is no longer a type; instead, some enchantments have the type enchantment - aura and then have the ability "enchant creature" or whatever

The Legend Rule was changed twice even.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Current Legend Rule is that no 2 Legendary Permanents with the same name can exist on the same side of the Battlefield.

So if you have say a Nykthos and your opponent plays one nothing happens but if you play a second one (and there are actually reasons you would want to do so) you have to chose one of those permanents to keep and sacrifice the other.

Planeswalkers work the same way with a small difference. They work off Subtype instead. So you can't have 2 Chandras going at the same time regardless of their actual name.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Dear Something Awful Forum Software,

Please do not eat my posts. I am certain that it is not healthy for you. We care about you.

Signed,
Cernunnos

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Peter Mohrbacher is kind of a dick, though. His disdain for the players is pretty palpable, clearly just showing up for a paycheck. Swanland and Rush are cool guys, though, I spent a while talking to them between rounds. The line for Steve Argyle was atrociously long.

Well that's kinda lame since he's got some pretty cool card art. What'd you have him sign?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Minority Deport posted:

:psyduck:

That's a $7-8 card in paper. I guess this is one of those random-rear end modo cards that decides to buck the trend of cheaper online completely.

Paper Forcefield is > $100 but on MODO you can get 1 for the low, low price of just 1 tix (last I saw).

MODO prices vs Paper prices is an insane thing to look at sometimes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm loving that new Nissa.

Both pluses are pretty good on their own and Ult dumping a decks worth of Basic Lands onto the field that are also 4/4s for the rest of the game seems pretty crazy.

e:

quote:

[-7]: You get an emblem with "If a source would deal damage to you or a planeswalker you control, prevent all but one damage."

Free automatic Forcefield. :stonk:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 26, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rogue 7 posted:

I think the problem with this Ajani is the same as others- without support, he does nothing. Mentor of Heroes would dig for gas if you played him on an empty board, and boost his loyalty while doing so. I like his "put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control", though, I think that's a really cool area of design they haven't explored yet.

It's just more fuel for the Superfriends Fire. I want to see a Standard Superfriends deck by the time Khans cycles in. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jabor posted:

Fetches confirmed for Ducks block?

Printing a shuffle-hoser here makes sense if they expect players to be doing a lot of shuffling over the next little while.

It's an outside design so Fetches played no part in it's design/placement.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sarcastro posted:

From that Forsythe article, this:

Sort of hints at a reprint, but I don't remember storywise if any of the legendary mythic rare artifacts (and there aren't many) were involved. One is a double-sided card, so that's not happening.

I thought that was a reference to the Chain Veil which doesn't exist yet as a card.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Skillface posted:

Ob is great for my Prossh deck, especially because one of the people I play with has a Karametra deck :getin:

Karametra's trigger is a "may" so they'll just not use it once Ob hits the field.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So now we've seen all the Souls I'll say that I could see most of them seeing play.

- New Phyrexia will see the most play for being colorless with Trample and an OK ability.
- Zendikar and Shandalar will probably see the next most play for their abilities being actually decent.
- Theros could either see more or less play than Zendikar/Shandalar I'm still not sure where it falls on this scale but it's ability is pretty solid and can back up token armies quite well. On it's own it's an 8/8 Vigilant, Lifelinking, First Striker every turn.
- Innistrad will see minimal play because Wizards doesn't seem to like giving out even conditional Reanimator effects all that much and for this cost he should be able to just reanimate something (maybe CMC 3 or less).

And then we have Ravnica. Most expensive ability of the bunch. Rewards you for playing more colors but hampers that a bit with UU cost. Drawing 5 for 7 mana isn't too bad but drawing anything less for that is just terrible.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The color pie is best used as a set of general guidelines rather than a strict set of rules.

I like it when we get cards that fall way off the color pie because they're usually flavorful, like Hornet Sting or Harmonize.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They should do an entire Block where the entire color pie is off on the Plane.

White is Red, Red is Blue, Blue is White, Green is Black, and Black is Green.

Would really get people mad but also be fun/interesting and twist up the Eternal Formats. It'd certainly be a flavorful Block/Plane anyway.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I guess I'll just return to my hole as the Arbiter of Bad Ideas then. :smith:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I hope they make a cycle of Urborg-likes. Just because.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Welp. So much for a cycle of Urborg-likes. At least Urborg itself will drop in price a bit. :sigh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Wait wait, this isn't a reprint is it?

Does that mean what I think it does?

Sliver Hive is not a Reprint it's an all new card.

Slivers themselves were in M14 (minorly and Redesigned) and are going to be in M15 (again minorly and some redesigned).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

I'm talking about the return of the old, oddly cute abomination look, guys.

Oh. Yeah Slivers are going to run the full gambit of old look to new look and some inbetween now. According to Wizards at least.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So we still have 2 lands unaccounted for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Comp Rules posted:

702.50. Convoke

702.50a Convoke is a static ability that functions while the spell with convoke is on the stack.
“Convoke” means “For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped
creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this
spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.” The
convoke ability isn’t an additional or alternative cost and applies only after the total cost of the
spell with convoke is determined.
Example: Heartless Summoning says, in part, “Creature spells you cast cost {2} less to
cast. You control Heartless Summoning and cast Siege Wurm, a spell with convoke that
costs {5}{G}{G}. The total cost to cast Siege Wurm is {3}{G}{G}. After activating mana
abilities, you pay that total cost. You may tap up to two green creatures and up to three
creatures of any color to pay that cost, and the remainder is paid with mana.

702.50b Multiple instances of convoke on the same spell are redundant.

• Locked thread