Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Probably Angelic Overseer. It was my first mythic and helped me in a time during the game where I had to compete with everyone and their friends all having had the money to shell out for titans and Baneslayers. The sheer fact that, with smart play, it could take down the Baneslayer and live put me from getting my rear end kicked to being able to compete with the other people in my area.

Then I traded for a Silverblade Paladin and it was gravy.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

My favorite card is Rebecca Guay, followed by Phyrexian Arena. MM Dark Ritual into Phyrexian Arena feels amazing.

Is devotion catching on in any of the eternal formats? Should I buy them now or wait until Theros block rotates, is what I'm saying.

In Legacy, Thassa often sees mainboard play as a one of in merfolk. Beyond that? Not that I've seen.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

No, because the TNN can still block.

gently caress it, Wizards should print a spell with "Choose a creature. Target opponent gains control of this spell. Exile that creature."

My Death and Taxes tend to handle it with the Sword of Fire and Ice. I can usually attach it to something that can keep up with TNN or out race it, which is most often Stoneforge Mystic, since she pulls it out in the first place.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

Can you imagine how upset people would be if they reprinted Damnation but gave it new art?

You mean a handful of people on the internet who wouldn't change their purchase choice anyway and not too many other people?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

To be honest, Xenagos is the first red green general that I'm actually straight up interested in. I mean, he's not horrifically powerful, but he generally strikes me as a lot of fun to mess with.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

No, casual players have always wanted to do triple small set as long as they've known about drafting and a small set gets released, because they see it as chances to open ~cash card~ and then try to play for more packs.

Too bad I couldn't ever convince anyone to play FUT FUT FUT. Now that was a great small set :getin:.

It's mostly that there are a lot of players who draft just for the sake of opening cards as opposed to going about it with the intent of playing limited as a tournament.

I'm rather impartial to New Phyrexia x3. But then that's probably because somehow I managed to draft freaking eleven Geth's Verdicts and win with absolute ease.

Yeah, over a fourth of my deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Awww, you never know. Keranos may be the most brokenest god ever. I'm thinking..."every time a sorcery or instant is put into your grave, deal 2 damage to target opponent". Hello Steam Augury! How are you?

Oh man, if this happened, I would be ecstatic. I've had a standard Izzet deck for a while now that's been casual but still very consistent and strong. If something like that popped up, I would definitely try my hand at making it competitive.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Do you happen to have the list on you?

I've been trying to make Izzet work and it just does not agree with me in the slightest despite loving the color combination. :(

http://pastebin.com/mE2eAWjJ

It's not amazing, but it ends up working out better than expected far more often than you might think. A few major things:

1. Never play more than one creature card at a time. Now with control having a lot of sweepers, you rather have to do this to force card advantage. Luckily, both Guttersnipe and Young Pyromancer demand removal as they just let you keep getting more.

2. Don't worry about taking damage early on, you can trade up better if you take things slowly.

3. The lack of lands isn't as bad as you think as you will constantly be taking your turn at the end of theirs and often drawing enough cards.

4. Spellheart Chimera is always a finisher. That thing has often got up to 20 power for me before.

And no, the sideboard isn't complete, largely because I haven't been taking this deck too seriously. It could probably use a few more islands and few less mountains. Overall, I could be tinkering with it more than I am.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Any reason you're running Inspiration over Divination? I can't see needing to give your opponents more cards.

e: Ah perhaps instant speed works better with the Guttersnipes. I understand it.

Yeah, turn 3 always goes to Guttersnipe. Otherwise, I want to take my turn at the end of my opponent's turn.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I ran a somewhat casual Izzet deck pre-BNG, here's a slightly more serious take I plan on putting together soonish with BNG cards. It plays the control role against aggro and can burn out control, but can stumble against midrange decks that drop fatties and turn them sideways. Overall it's a bit lower on the curve than Ramos's list.

I still need to check out Satyr Firedancer. How is he?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chainsawdomy posted:

Rules question: Who receives the benefits of an aura, the controlling player or the owning player? That is to say, if I cast Portent of Betrayal on a creature with Ordeal of Heliod, attack, and that puts the third +1/+1 counter on the creature, who gets the 10 life?

As Entropic said, the opponent owns and controls the aura. You just happen to borrowing the dude that the aura is attached to.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me the first time someone spelled it out. I mean, I was sceptical at first, but it made a lot of sense to me, and it helped that every internet resource seemed to agree that some of the most broken cards in Magic history were the ones that allowed you to spend life on other things. Then there was the fact that two mana would kill one creature (terror), give you one land (rampant growth), draw maybe 1.5 cards (accumulated knowledge), or gain you 7 life (hero's reunion). The cards themselves think life is worth less than practically anything else in the game.

It's more that it's hard to get down to the concept of that Magic is a (relatively) short game where short term ideas pay off in victory. Most games that have similar tropes to Magic (like RPGs, strategy games, really anything in general) emphasize the idea of keeping your team in one piece, staying very much alive, etc.

Getting into Innistrad as a newbie was really difficult because I hated the concept of losing creatures since in everything I had played before that, losing a person never had "There's an advantage too if you do it right" attached to it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Sure I can't imagine how flooding the market with reprints could possibly end badly for WotC or retailers.

On the other hand, if the movie works out, we can get our own Magic series. After that, Wizards will surely follow the Yugioh model since it's been shown to work in such a scenario. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

All of you "I started playing in Dark Ascension" scrubs have no appreciation for the history and character ingrained in the old border. The new border is just web 2.0 15 degree tilt logo poo poo. The old border reminds you that you're playing a card game about dragons, not collecting pictures of angry birds.

Reminds me of the Space Jam website.

...in how utterly rear end it was. I like the new frame and I like the future sight frame even more.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Balon posted:

Turn 5 Commander 2HG win? Turn 5 Commander 2HG win.

The other opponent conceded right before the screenshot.

I had the nuts draw of T1 Sol Ring, T2 Purph, T3 Urabrask, T4 Anger + Skullclamp, T5 Rapacious One. My ally's highlights included "Playing His Commander" and "Swinging for 1 with an elf". Would have been a T4 win if my opponent hadn't had 2 good swings with his Wurmcoil.

This was the type of deck that more or less straight up got me banned from ever playing monored in my EDH group a couple of years ago.

Heartless Hidgetsu? Krenko? Just too fast what was my ever sluggish group. Warp World wasn't too popular with them either.

I should give the even faster red god a try now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I play a lich/ad naseum combo deck that involves drawing my whole deck, doing 3 rituals, then swapping life totals.

All this lich talk really makes me want to make a mono black devotion oriented combo deck in EDH.

Go go Erebos.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Macrame_God posted:

What I’m asking is this: am I just being paranoid about this? Am I cool to go about playing group hug in my own crazy way or am I just painting a target on my head?

The answer is always: Depends on your play group and meta.

Some groups love that stuff, others don't. Consult your buddies about it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Jace finally gives in to his true self and dons a giant robotic dragon body.

And then wizards finally makes Trap a regular type rather than a subtype.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Slave of Bolas doesn't have the trademark Bolas scarf though. That's a cape. Well, either a cape or she has an entire carpet tied to her back. Either one.

Honestly, isn't that what a cape is?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I think the biggest difference, aside from prices, between Modern and Legacy is the same one between Standard and Modern, speed. Yeah, there are combo decks and aggro decks and whatever other kind of decks in every format, but it largely comes down to how reliably fast your deck must be to survive and win. Legacy, due to the higher number of low cost high powered cards and their increased diversity, just has to go that much faster and be that much more ready than Modern. Not to say Modern is bad, it's just tiers of speed.

Vintage, of course, just goes at ludicrous speeds.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's like staring upon a church's baptism.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

That's not true. Lots of people are just sore losers but something was lost when the internet made solving formats an incredibly fast and efficient process. I know plenty of people who don't play now because they feel the game leaves little space for personal expression.

This is actually why I love limited. There is so much more deck variation going on and you have a lot of room to build for yourself. Granted, there's still some limitations in there, but eh, given some time and practice, it's really easy to pick up and do whatever you want in a draft or sealed set of games.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Ok. Thanks. (Building a Wizard Pauper EDH deck and can't figure out why a deck I am looking at is using Reef Shaman and Dream Thrush)

:swoon:

I love pauper EDH. What commanders are you thinking of?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

But yeah Forge is awesome and free and everyone should try it :)

Trust me, I'm definitely downloading this when I get back home. As enjoyable as Duel of the Planeswalkers has been, it'd be fantastic to finally have a game where I can do whatever I want for the most part.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Greven il-Vec picking an entire cave up and hurling it off the deck of his ship.

These work for most animated lands, though. The game flavor doesn't really work here (not that it could reasonably be expected to).

All of this land eating nonsense is just making me think of the a Darksteel Colossus standing up to punch out a Blood Moon to make the tide go out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veyrall posted:

What deck is this now?

Yugioh, the Anime.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, titans would be far worse than Thragtusk, but that's just me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. The fact that he stabilized at $10 even after the modern ban should tell you something. He's not going to stay banned forever. He will keep his value more so that pretty much anything else in RtR block (except maybe Abrupt Decay).

On a slightly different note, anyone else notice that Elspeth, Sun's Champion is ticking back up again? She's back to being above $20. I think I heard something about her being the Elspeth of choice for certain modern decks now, since she can nuke the field immediately after dropping, but anyone else have any specific reasons?

She's just a really good control finisher in general. Three power per turn or nuke to deal with any of those ugly threats you don't want around. She is constantly adding to board advantage and her nuke doesn't mess with dudes you have that you may want around anyway.

She's just really solid all around.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of EDH, I just got done running with the initial runs of Xenagod as my commander. Good lord, he does work. Due to the composition of people who I play EDH with, and most people who play EDH in general, there is very little enchantment and creature exiling, making Xenagod stick around for the most part.

More importantly is that after hitting a certain point in mana, everything in the deck is just pure, endless value. Deus of Calamity in particular just guarantees 18 damage out the hand and break a land. In a five person game, I ended up being the guy who took out three different people, including the Orzhov player who had managed to grab up to 80 life throughout the game. Lost to the one guy playing Karametra, but eh, he had a really well placed Fog.

And Hunter's Insight? Freaking amazing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Is your list online? Mine's at http://deck.tk/1QM770SU

The infect dudes really do work, I've surprise-killed many people with them. Some troubles with the deck itself I've had is that I need to run all these utility creatures, which are tiny and I can't really win with. Drawing a Vexing Shusher when there's no one countering spells, or a Scavenging Ooze when no one's reanimating anything, etc. really sucks.

Nah, I don't have a list online, but I will say my group is a lot lower power than your group. In particular, no one really runs with infect, nor do I. As far as my deck is concerned, I have very few non-ramp utility creatures. Everything is either big, a land, find lands, or draw more cards, with a few exceptions like one blasphemous act. It is purely aggro as a deck.

The few creatures that are utility tend to also fall into the big category, such as Conquering Manticore, Crater Hellion, Molten Primordial, Wrecking Ogre, Archetype of Endurance, etc. The point is not to waste time being concerned about what enchantment is being played or whatever. If it's in the way, I can steal it for a turn and kill faster. Everything else is just one big fatty drop after another, since the goal is to hit five mana and then take off.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Yeah guy I'm 100% serious and totally want to bomb Cascadia. You can be sure of this because I would never post a comically ridiculous opinion, here in the Games Subforum, of the Something Awful comedy website.

Your sense of humor is pretty thoroughly poo poo. It might be a good idea to check to make sure you've actually got a halfway decent sense of humor before running around and assuming an insult would be funny.

Korak posted:

:ssh: There are more consistent hidden strings dot decks out there right now. Watched Greg Hatch play it on stream a week or two ago and it just isn't as powerful as other decks I've seen abusing Hidden Strings. Just straight UW Heroic is better.

Have any links to such decks? I've had a friend who's been complaining about managing to pull a four set of Trait Doctoring and needs a new casual deck to dick around with.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

The Forge experience:
Computer on the play. Mishra's Workshop, mox jet, mox sapphire, Frogmite, Cranial Plating.
Me: Tundra, go.
Comp: Ancient Tomb, Mox Ruby, Master of Etherium, Etched Champion, plating to frogmite, hail Satan.
Me: Island, Brainstorm.
Comp: Darksteel Citadel, another master, another champion, curse God and die.
Me: :negative:

I'm now playing a half-built legacy burn deck, and slowly assembling the pieces for tendrils and manaless dredge. Not sure where to get Ichorids, though. I see where to get Scourge and Modern Masters, but I don't remember seeing anything from the Odyssey block.

The money grind is a pain in the rear end, too.

I just decided to start in Theros and grab myself a set of Grey Merchants and a monoblack deck. From there, it's been a slow building of just spew out cards for black devotion and going fast. It's not a great deck, but the game isn't exactly hard enough to warrant going full on vintage to make a deck work.

Also, Necropotence is fantastic for devotion.

edit: Also, do yourself a favor and go to quest preferences. Up the victory money for everything.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 17, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

For the hell of it, I made a Karametra landfall EDH deck, and it's rather durdly fun. Sometimes cards are just made to be weird and different so people make stupid poo poo built around them.

The guy who plays Karametra in my EDH group has a pretty good landfall deck with her going on. It's always slow to start, but once it starts rolling, the sheer inertia of the deck is hard to stop, control or otherwise. She does a good job at thinning the deck, getting you more mana, and generally allowing you to grab more dudes by virtue of how fast she's thinning it out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Things not on the reserve list:

Wasteland
Force of Will
Mana Drain

Things on the reserve list:
Beast Walkers

Stupid reserve list, how am I supposed to get a playset of Beast Walkers for my legacy deck at any sort of reasonable price?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, do you know what sets you'll be drafting?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

A better question, now that wraths will be counterable, what new tempo card is gonna go nuts next year? Spellheart chimera?

This would not surprise me. Between Jace switching out and Steam Augury sticking around, the Chimera just gets stupid big after a point, often times swinging for half of the player's life and if the game is going long, for lethal damage every time.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, I personally liked control because of the environment I was thrown into. Having to deal with turn four infect kills and loving kill or die titans with things like Oblivion Ring sitting around made winning Magic manageable for my crappy newbie deck. Werewolves certainly wasn't cutting it for the local meta.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

I want to build a deck that doesn't even win by decking your opponent because it somehow causes them to keep shuffling their graveyard into their library. You just draw every single game.

I believe Primal Command and Loaming Shaman can help you with that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

morning wood posted:

Oh nice I wouldn't complain if that one got reprinted. Needless to say I'm an uber noob and only play standard :D

I can only hope for a standard where I can run Ash Zealot and Lightning Bolt together.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

CountFosco posted:

The esper deck also has a lot of really good tools. I took it and turned it into a sharuum control deck which I'm happy with.

I also liked the Esper deck, though I went full hog with the life theme and made Oloro my commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And yet there is still no Lizard Wizard.

• Locked thread