Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Mishra's Factory Winter Art is my favorite card. I have a huge collection Antiquities ones.

In somewhat related news Crucible of Worlds is Standard legal for this thread. Lands are the best.

edit: I also kind of have a thing for Sands of Delirium Time and Icy Manipulator.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lets Pickle posted:

Grand Architect

I made a really fun Grand Architect deck before Brad Nelson did that used Kraken Hatchlings as Sol Rings and Sword of Feast and Famine and Architects to power out Wurmcoil Engines. My version had a bunch of dumb stuff like Everflowing Chalice and Karn though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I did not mean I love Sands of Delirium. I meant Sands of Time, which was part of the most impossibly stupid lockdown combo of all-time. Sands of Time/Teferi's Realm was the greatest combo and I am unsure of why it is not remembered like Stasis/Winter Orb. Sadly the combo no longer works because the way artifacts with persistent effects work has changed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

I thought those tooth and nail/gen wave decks were using nykthos to make tons of mana, but I don't know if the decks are any good.

I have never played it or played against it but basically every pro I've seen refer to it just completely trashes it. It's fairly budget though so I bet it'll be popular.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Am I bad person if I want bitterblossom to stay banned so I can buy a reasonably priced one because of the amazing art on it? :smith:

Kind of because you had a long time of it being banned to buy it, let us play with our faeries now!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Korak posted:

In a game with 4 mana boardwipes, 3 mana pseudo-boardwipes, and 2 mana kill spells... Eh? Maybe make it "until end of turn"?

A non-symmetrical version of this that can never go higher than -1/-1 was printed and playable at 3BB.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zorak posted:

RIP Mojosto.

I am incredibly tired and I read that list three times, what happened to get rid of Mojhosto?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

U/W Standard decks started running a full play set in the sideboard.

I feel like it's less good now that more people are doing it, although it was a great metagame call by Hayne at the time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What is your favorite instagram filters for putting on your opponents deck? I pick mine by which deck they are playing. Mono Blue is 1977, whereas R/G is OBVIOUSLY Walden.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Livingtrope posted:

LSV is at his best when he has a straight man, actually.

LSV doing commentary with Ben Stark is absolutely fantastic. LSV bothering Paul Cheon while Cheon is streaming is great too. LSV and Cheon are going to be doing commentary together soon during an event CFB is running so that should be really great.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Boxn posted:

Yeah, there always is. At my LGS, when new people came in to the store for Modern, they either had Burn or Elves. Other than that, the other decks are Merfolk, Kiki-Pod, Melira-Pod, Scapeshift, AIDs (Infect), and Jund which I play. I'm really curious why some people choose to play elves, it's strange to me.

If you mean why people choose to play elves in Modern I have no idea, but Legacy Elves is a cool deck for handsome people.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

The tragic part is Xenagos is a better Elfwalker than the Elfwalker.

Deathrite Shaman is the best elf PW that will ever be printed and it's not even close.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My house is built of Thunder Spirits and held together by a promise from Wotc please don't make me homeless Maro.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Smashing Link posted:

Ok so my brother and I have a full set of unlimited duals, about 20 fetches, 6 FOW, 6 Rishadan Ports, 6 Wasteland, 2 Gaea's Cradles, and a large number of Modern staples, mostly bought when they were at their cheapest (duals were mostly between $15-20 about 10 years ago). I keep telling him we should sell the money cards while the market is this high and keep the rest for casual play. Confession: I am also at the point where I am starting to think more about my 401k than wizard poker but anticipate I will still enjoy playing in another 20 years. Advice?

Build some kind of protective fortress using mud and the cards. Require someone present their DCI number before allowing them inside. Take a picture of their hand when they do, then tweet pictures of it. When your guests are inevitably frightened away start screaming about Ken Nagle and shaking your fists.

Alternately if you're just going to play casually pay for some high quality proxies with the money you got from selling those cards and not following my initial advice.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Despite woo having a bunch of goofy and interesting decks, he can be so stupid and annoying sometimes.

Travis has a bunch of goofy and interesting decks because he farms out to his fan base looking for cool decks and then "helps them work on it" and then takes credit for the deck idea. Dude is not far off of being a grifter but he also believes his own hype and that he's inventing these decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NofrikinfuN posted:

Wait, you can have more than four copies of something in limited? Has that always been a thing?

I once drafted an m11 deck that was 5 squadron hawks and 7 foresee. It has always been a thing.

edit: I am not endorsing playing a seven of 4 drop sorcery speed draw spell, but I am going to say it was exactly as amazing as it sounds.

second edit: Scry and Squadron Hawk is a baller nonbo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

I'll never not love the story about how someone designed LED to be the shittiest card ever, and now it's the most widely-played card from that set (block?). I love it when plans hilariously backfire like that.

I am pretty sure Cad Bloom and Enlightened Tutor and Flash were all in Mirage, but yeah LED being so good in ANT is awesome.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

Its time for best non-full art basics!

Swamp and Island, no contest ladys and gents.

Regular art Zendikar cereal bowl Island is the greatest of all Islands. Other than that I really love the APAC lands in general.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await Compleated zombie Venser.

Not a walker anymore, he knows how to build that Phyrexian planes walking ship.

Since Karn is 1: a dumbass and 2: in possession of Venser's body, he'll probably do something dumb like try to ressurect him with a shard of the Mirrari and then he'll magically get a spark due yo the trauma of being ressurected and become the Esperwalker of my dreams. :appears:

Actually apparently according to the lore they just left Venser's body with the Phyrexians because ???? So yes Karn is a dumbass. It seems like it's a pretty obvious plot hook to give them an excuse for how Phyrexians are getting places.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whydirt posted:

I just trim all the borders off of my cards. :smaug:

The entire card is a border. Destroy all cards. Free yourself.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you even know the difference between a mono and poly artifact. Wow, they'll just let anyone play this game won't they.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whydirt posted:

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped.

You're talking about poly artifacts!

Also I didn't know what mono or poly artifact meant when I was a kid so Icy Manipulator was a 4 mana artifact that turned all of my lands into Rishadan Port before Rishadan Port existed. Let me tell you Icy Manipulator was the nut card for aggro.

edit: I did forget about Continuous Artifacts!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The coolest thing about MODO, other than everything, is they're running a bunch of Pro Tour Qualifier Qualifiers to avoid maybe loving up one large tournament they're just going to have a whole bunch of still pretty big tournaments to possibly gently caress up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kasonic posted:

Going where? In what deck? $15 is a price worth jumping on? What?

It's going in the same deck that Primal Command went in!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

It's been around for awhile,, if memory serves. Gained some notoriety last year overseas, anyway.

This is absolutely not the first time Amulet of Vigor shot up due to this deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

toadee posted:

Great so by the time I'm 65 there will be a couple of decently priced decks!

I feel bad for anyone who bought in to U/B Fae when the prices were absurd. RIP $120 playset of Mistbind Cliques. I don't feel bad for anyone who jumped on them to re-sell at over $10 though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Someone please put the Mnemonic Wall/Whelming Wave lock with some Kiora in your Maze's End deck so I don't have to play it myself to get it out of my system. Make a video of it on MTGO, post an FNM trip report, I don't care.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mortimer posted:

Would the only safe magic investment be things on the reserved list?

$200 could buy you a few modern staples that would either go up or get reprinted, or an underground sea, which will never get reprinted and copies will only get destroyed or hoarded.

How is legacy going to be an event in 10 years when all duals belong to an elite caste of old guys?

Also it would be pretty funny if wizards sanctioned legacy events where you could legally proxy any card on the reserved list. "We didn't reprint them like you asked :smug:"

What do you mean by safe investment? If you mean like investing for cash purposes then investing in magic cards is really dumb. Honestly a good policy is probably to only buy cards you intend to play with that way you don't buy $200 worth of vengevines and end up trading pain lands for cheeseburgers to make a living.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BizarroAzrael posted:

I dunno, will buying the Duel Deck be sure to deliver value? I agree it could have 2 Remand, but stuff like Jace will surely be devalued ahead of time, and will probably slump at rotation, right?

Quite like the new Remand art.

Jace AOT is going to crater in value come rotation. Dude is unplayable in Modern, so unless you can get some underground bloodsport RTR block constructed league going, and I understand if you can't talk about that, I wouldn't worry about his value unless you plan on using him during Standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Livingtrope posted:

i don't think you know how much I hate myself, I would play eggs and I would meticulously ask everytime if a trigger or ability resolved.

Eggs isn't really that annoying, it's like playing with lands in front or whatever. If you wanted to make someone and yourself miserable you'd play Four Horseman.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MODO has been updated, there are now PTQQ's and all good EV events are gone. What more do you want?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kirtar posted:

That would explain a bit. The marshmist titan example does affect the casting of the spell though.

Yeah going through trying to explain that when casting a Thoughtcast off a Chromatic Star was never any fun in paper magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The person asking about Storm in Pauper, Fissure Storm is still a thing at least until Cloud of Faeries gets banned (which should have been banned instead of Post in the last update but here we are)

The price of Cryptics is kind of funny to me considering the speed of Modern. Casting spells over 2 CMC is for suckers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The funnest MTG format will forever be Winston draft. I have a box of Modern Masters squirreled away for some hypothetical bad dudes single elimination Winston Draft tournament.

edit: Four pods of two, because I am sure some witty and charming person is going to nitpick this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fleshy echidna posted:

Okay so my newbie theros sealed tournament in mtgo has been on round one for 2 hours and 23 minutes. I feel like something is deeply wrong here.

I would assume that you were stealth disconnected and you got timed out of the tournament. Try to reconnect.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Andrew Cuneo has played some of the most ridiculously do nothing control decks I have ever seen and he never goes to time on MTGO and doesn't go to turns. Y'all need to learn how to play your deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

HolaMundo posted:

What can I expect in mtgo standard constructed tournaments? Skillwise.
I've been playing for some weeks (I don't have a top tier deck) in the "just for fun" area and I'm doing ok I guess, some wins and some loses and I've played against seem to be pretty competitive decks.

Will I just be throwing my tickets away? Should I wait and get better cards + more game time?

If you don't have an actual deck that would be viable for winning a tournament yeah you'd just be wasting your tickets. Normally block constructed is a cheap way to get into constructed but that Naya block deck is really stupidly expensive. If you're willing to fork over the cash to build actual tier 1 decks though you should jump in to constructed tournaments, some grinders and pros play in them and are very good but it's nothing you should worry about.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's not enough. We still have to swing with tokens or Aetherling sometimes. We need Drownyard back.

U/W Codex Shredder is one of the most durdle of all win conditions in control history. I wouldn't play it if you want to win, but if you're feeling vengeful towards people who whine constantly about control I'd sleeve it up.

bhsman posted:

I wouldn't mind except that those decks are still hanging around months after rotation, but at least they aren't exerting a Delver-like grip on the format

Actual genuine control decks haven't been good in a really long time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tharizdun posted:

Notably, you can still target Supreme Verdict, so you could, for instance, Remand it to cycle for a card, or play Swan Song on your own verdict to put a Bird into play which will promptly die, but maybe you have a Soul Net and an Sanguine Bond out with the opponent at 1.

I always wanted them to give instants Shroud instead of saying they couldn't be countered.

When playing a silly Bant control deck I used a Plasm Capture to cast a t4 Aetherling with counter backup. It's not exactly a relevant or likely to occur scenario but Plasm Capture on Verdict is a fun thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fetches in Standard with Courser of Kruphix would be cool, which is why I don't think it will happen.

• Locked thread