Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

In a time of terrible creatures, one stood miles above the rest. His name? Monger.

Spiritmonger.

Dude's the main reason I eventually plan on building a Golgari commander deck. The other reason being shiny Russian Vhati-il Dal.

Balon posted:

Spiritmonger was the first ever rare I pulled when I bought myself cards, and I have loved him and The Rock and BG as a color combo ever since.

This guy knows. :whatup:

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mulletstation posted:

Winter Orb, because I'm a huge dick.

My favorite card that I own is a Winter Orb signed by Richard Garfield.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bugsy posted:

I thought those tooth and nail/gen wave decks were using nykthos to make tons of mana, but I don't know if the decks are any good.

Is turn 2 hardcast Emrakul any good?

http://deckbox.org/sets/580380

To be fair, I need to be on the draw and draw 9 perfect cards. But still, turn 3 wins are pretty reliable and even when it doesn't, the deck's a lot of fun because people don't know what's going on until you cast Tooth and Nail entwined or Genesis Wave for 25.

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Realizing this thing had jumped to $350+ got me to do my monthly "What judge foil has jumped in price?" check. Anyone know why the hell Mana Crypt spiked so much? ($250 for Judge, $200 for book promo)

Whaaaaat?! I just bought a Judge Crypt 2 weeks ago for $120. Low on TCG was like $122. What happened?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I have never played it or played against it but basically every pro I've seen refer to it just completely trashes it. It's fairly budget though so I bet it'll be popular.

It's probably not a deck that is going to win any major tournaments or anything, especially in my version where it's more of a combo deck than anything, but it's a ton of fun to play, wins out of nowhere, and it's pretty easy to make people misplay because they don't know what you're doing. Plus, Helix Pinnacle can be a valid sideboard option. I've always wanted to win with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

I could never get calling Garruk "Gary" to catch on, and now every is calling this dang common Gary. :mad:

Ever since I started playing Genesis Wave, I've been calling him Gary. And Gray Merchant will never be anything but "Oh, him. Real original."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rukawa posted:

Assuming it's wipes/wipe related, I'd imagine something like:

Wrath of God
Armageddon
All is Dust
Damnation
Terminus
Jokulhops
1+ Annihilator creatures (Emrakul, Kozilek, Ulamog)
Ravages of War
Plague Wind
Austere Command
Worldfire
Decree of Annihilation

I'd bet Kozilek if anything. Emrakul has a promo and Ulamog was in FTV Legends.
O-Stone could be in there. Evacuation or the blue "bounce everything" spell? Flame Wave, Avatar of Woe, Demonic Hordes (reserve list?) Red/White Myojin, Rolling Earthquake would be nice. That's just the stuff off the top of my head.

I hope Shauku, Endbringer is in it. She's probably reserve listed too because Wizards won't let me have anything nice.

Unrelated, but check out the first ruling on Victimize

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=10655

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

vOv posted:

Two people doing 'high CMC goes first' except they're both playing Lands.dec

This is the only correct way to determine who goes first.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I finally did it! I got kicked out of Commander. I went to casual Magic today determined to get people to stop bugging me to play Commander when I don't want to. I was definitely successful.

So for those of you who get stuck playing when you don't want to (I know there's a few of you,) here's how you get out of it:

I actually built a Nicol Bolas deck for this reason but all it ever does is empty everyone else's hands by turn 6 and make the game take even longer.

I started by playing with Maralen, casting her turn 2 in a 6-player game and Ad Nauseam turn 3 for a lethal Sickening Dreams for everyone but me (Glacial Chasm.) Much whining was ignored.

Then I switched to Tajic with the same 5 guys, cast a first turn Serra Ascendant, second turn Inquisitor's Flail and 3rd turn Sword of Light and Shadow, equipping both on turn 4. He got blown up by Smallpox after a few turns of beating, so I spite-cast Obliterate to wipe everything but Tajic and Mogis, ultimated Elspeth 2 a little later to kill everything but lands again, then cast Scourglass the same turn and wiped everyone's attempt to rebuild the next turn because for some reason they don't read cards they don't know. A few turns later half the guys were dead.

I O-ringed one of the 2 remaining guys' Tamiyo so the 3rd guy playing Dakkon Blackblade could untap Dakkon, and Crib Swapped his Nekusar the next turn when it would have killed Dakkon guy. That gave him just enough the turn he needed to get his last 10 unlockable Commander damage in on Nekusar guy. Dakkon guy was left at 1 life, and I had 2 lands and was dead in 3 turns, so I scooped because I was done playing an hour and a half before the game was actually over, and by that point I just wanted Nekusar guy to regret playing. Mission accomplished. I have 4 witnesses who heard him tell me I don't have to play Commander if I hate it so much.

Yes, I realize this is incredibly childish. So is having a hissy fit because I want to play real Magic with people who are fun to play with instead of a 2-hour circle jerk that ends in an infinite combo someone has had in their hand since turn 2. I don't even have infinite combos in my decks anymore. :shrug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sade posted:

Be honest with yourself, think about it, and don't post your answer here, but did you ever just tell someone -- anyone -- that you don't like Commander or you would prefer to play other formats? Did you ever say those words in that order?

I'm going to post my answer here anyway.

Yes. Literally every time they ask me to play I say I'd rather not in varying levels of politeness. Everyone in the store knows my feelings on commander. I've progressed over the months from saying I'd prefer modern or standard but I guess I'll play one game to saying I don't particularly like commander and would rather play real Magic to an angry, resigned sigh because I know they're going to whine until I play. Unless I actually want to play, obviously.

Every time the regulars need another person to play, I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time because everyone takes it so seriously and nobody ever seems to have fun except me and the Dakkon guy, who cares even less than I do. I keep saying the regulars, but it's mainly the one guy; the Nekusar guy from above. The kind of guy who will Krosan Grip your Caged Sun you spent 8 turns saving up on a storage land for because you haven't found a third land all game. So no, I really don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for "ruining" one game if it finally got my point across that no, I don't want to play commander, and if I do, I'll say so. Especially when nobody was doing anything except slowly dying to Mogis and Nekusar damage anyway. There was a Steel Overseer army of probably 40 damage just sitting there because ??? for half the game.

And to be clear, these were all regulars who know exactly how I feel about commander and bug me until I play anyway. It wasn't some random kids with their Trostani and Lazav decks whose day I just decided to ruin. Aside from occasionally complaining about ridiculously long turns, like 5 minutes when he had 4 lands long, I was pretty much my usual self.

Edit: Unless some more people really need to tell me how terrible I am for not liking an unfun format of Magic or for getting guilt tripped into playing it, let's just agree that I accomplished my goal of not being bugged to play commander anymore, finally, and drop it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 13, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Learn how to say "Thanks, but no thanks" dude. Its really easy. And find people who play the format you like instead of making GBS threads on something other people like. I'm glad you recognize that you're being really childish though!

E; And if they keep asking? Keep saying thanks but no thanks! Theres no reason to feel guilty about not liking something!

I didn't invent odd numbers. I just get stuck being the one guy who doesn't have anyone to play with sometimes. I've been playing a modern game for 15 minutes against someone new and hearing constantly how I should be playing with them instead because they only have 3 people. I'm well aware how bad that makes everyone involved look to the new guy(s), and it's part of what I'm trying to avoid by making myself unwelcome in commander-land. Who's going to want to come back when they're playing a tense game which keeps getting broken up by people annoying your opponent, you know?

I look at it this way: I pretty much have to go to that store if I want to play any sort of non-competitive Magic. Since I'd rather not put up with 10 minutes of harassment every time I don't want to play what they want, I'll just play in a way that they don't want to play with me. Lately I've gone from "STEVE PLAY WITH US NOW!" to "STEVE WE NEED ANOTHER PERSON PLAY WITH US NOW!" but I'd rather be at "Hey, do you want to play? No? Ok then." I've been doing the scorched earth thing with Tajic for months, but I usually just blow it all up and kill them. This time it worked out that I couldn't actually kill them, so I did everything I could to give the game to my best friend who built a deck out of random cards he had within arm's reach, which annoyed the guy who hates losing, who's also the guy who bugs me to play/has a hissy fit if I don't. So everyone wins! And really, it's not like I ruined the game too much for anyone else. Everyone came back from Obliterate pretty well except for me, and 3 of them were close enough to death that the 2nd and 3rd board wipes really didn't matter except that they didn't get the chance to take one of us out with them.

I will admit that the Maralen thing is pretty lame, but 3 of us knew what I was doing and wanted to see how much Nekusar guy would cry about it (so much.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Modern is the same way. I bought a playset of mistys and noble hierarchs off wonder weapon on a saturday, by the next saturday that I got them, the cards went up about $130 in value.

The Hierarch makes sense with the Nacatl being unbanned, and of course the fetches are going to go up with modern coming up. Although the amount they went up was annoying. I still have to finish my playset of Mistys. Guess I'll be waiting for the reprint.

I really want to know what happened to Mana Crypt. I got one 3 1/2 weeks ago for $120 and a week and a half later it jumped to $250.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?

Quicken -> Planar Cleansing? If you're looking for something like Fog for life loss, no, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

The art on a card that will always be in your graveyard is pretty irrelevant.

True story, in my last Modern Masters draft, a guy had Grave from Below against me. He showed me it from his hand and asked me to explain what it did, which I did. I pretty clearly mentioned it has to be in your graveyard to have any effect on the game at all at least twice. He cast it. I looked at him confusedly and he thought for a second and said, "That was pretty stupid, huh? I think I'm going to take that out of my deck."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

MMD3 posted:

What's so great about tormented hero? Just that its low cost for a 2/1?

Getting your opponent to 1 life before he locks you out, then holding a Tormented Hero until you find an Ultimate Price or Hero's Downfall or anything to target him. I've won a few games this way.

Mezzanon posted:

- Herald of Torment: Okay, I might just really like this card because I think he's rad, but whatever.

Because he's the closest thing to Juzam Djinn they've printed in years, that's why! I really want to try this deck out. Anything that lets me play him and Agent of Fates has to be good. After yesterday's attempt at 2 FNMs, I need to do something different. 5 rounds of creature screw and one round of mana screw, in a deck with 15 big threat creatures which never actually loses, and everyone playing netdecked control decks. So I guess the question is how does the deck do against control?

The only upside is I know I should have won round 4 and gotten something for prizes. Apparently towards the end of game 3, he played 2 lands in one turn which let him make a Heliod token, which meant he didn't have to use his Mutavault token to block, which meant he had it next turn to chump block along with a new Heliod token, which was enough time to find a Supreme Verdict and kill me the turn before I found a Scavenging Ooze and gained at least 10 life. But for whatever reason the guy watching didn't bother saying anything until after the game.

The guy was pretty terrible all around though. He would randomly rotate his graveyard 90 degrees which really screwed with my math with ScOoze, he used a die set to 2 for Heliod tokens even though he only had 1, because they have 2 power, again screwing with my math because nobody ever uses the number to indicate power. He looked at me like I was stupid when I said I thought there were 2 based on the fact that the die was on 2. I would hope most people aren't so lame thay they'll play a deck without having at least one of the appropriate tokens.

Later in the game, I went to combat, passed priority, and tried to blow up his his Spear so my attacker would live. He made a big deal about how I can't do that because we both passed priority even though after that I had turned my guy sideways and poked it, pretty clearly indicating he was attacking. So I declared attacks, poked my sideways guy again and then killed his Spear. Not to mention he had bad breath. :sigh: Nerds.

Between that and 3 games of T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Thoughtseize, Duress, T5 Rakdos's Return for the rest of my hand, and then every time I held a kill spell for his Mutavault because I couldn't find a creature, he somehow hit me with Duress or Thoughtseize before animating, I'm so tired of playing Magic right now. I hate Thoughtseize; it takes so much skill out of the game and turns your good enough hand into garbage before you can even play a land.

I really hate losing to terrible people with terrible decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I am also probably going to build up a Golgari Aggro or Midrange list in the near future. Mostly because I want to drop a Sylvan Caryatid, while my oipponent has multiple Sylvan Caryatids, and then Bile Blight my own Sylvan Caryatid to kill all the Caryatids, mine and my opponents alike.

Yeah, this deck is that ruined my day yesterday and convinced me to stop playing standard and stick with Legacy on Fridays. I got creature screwed in almost every game I played, mana screwed in a few, and removal-screwed in the rest. In 7 rounds of mostly 3 game matches, I had maybe 4 good games. It's never lost in casual playtesting.

Mezzanon posted:

It's a very fun deck. The control Matchup is doable. Side in your Duress, your extra two Hero's Downfall, and keep your eye gouges in (Because Control loves mutavault beats) Try to land an underworld connections to keep up with their ability to draw cards. Use as much hand disruption as possible and try to just punch in for as long as you can. And if they still manage to make it to the long game, that's when you start the Gray Merchant power train..

Sounds awesome. I'll definitely try it out. It has my favorite 2 Born of the Gods cards (Eye Gouge and mini-Juzam) and my favorite Theros card (Agent of the Fates.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Right before I'd take Rhys-guy's turn, the guy right before him starts digging like a madman for an answer. In these melees there's a rule that stops all "infinite" combos at 3 iterations, but this guy (Azami) takes a 20-minute turn doing what's technically not an infinite combo, but might as well be, and he eventually Blue Sun's Zeniths Rhys-guy for his whole deck, so on next draw he's out despite having 17000 life and about as many tokens.

Uh, couldn't he have just made him draw one more card and killed him there? The rule is if you lose if you have to draw a card that's not there, not only if you can't draw on your draw step, right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Is anyone here in the western PA area? Specifically, near Midland? I'm here for a week for training and I have absolutely nothing to do. If you're around here and want to meet up for whatever format (except vintage because I'm not THAT rich,) or food or whatever, I have nothing but free time after 3 PM. I don't mind a little drive, like half an hour or so, but I'm not super interested in driving halfway back to Pittsburgh. Email (my name @ Gmail) is probably the best way to get a hold of me but I can check the forums and PMs when I get back to my hotel room.

And if it wasn't obvious from the above, I live not too far from Pittsburgh (around 40 minutes northish) so if anyone is in that area, I'm always looking for people to play with on my occasional day off from life. I usually play at the Mills mall but sometimes I'm at Nice Guys.

Edit: I seem to remember someone I've traded with/bought from/sold to a few times being in WV even, which might not be too far depending on where? I'm pretty new to the Pittsburgh area so I really don't know where much of anything is.

What a Judas posted:

I live in Baltimore. Come on down for a visit!

Ha, I wish. Traffic aside, I like it down there.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 17, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

How far north of P.burg do you live? I have some family that lives north of the city in Ross Township.

Apollo. I'm pretty sure nobody who doesn't live there knows where it is. Around half an hour south of Kittaning, if you know where that is. I guess looking at a map I'm more 45 minutes ENE of Pittsburgh.

If you're ever in the area and have spare time, send me a PM or email or something. We can meet halfway or whatever. It's always fun to meet fellow goons (based on the one I've actually met.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

I know where Kittanning is. I used to pass through there often to visit friends at Edinboro university. You ever go to Indiana cards? I've been there once or twice.

I ordered a Thoughtseize from them through TCGPlayer, heh. Indiana's a little far from me - probably about an hour north.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So where is Brimaz seeing the most use right now anyway? I have two that I plan on running in my big boros deck since it fits the theme of that deck, but are they anywhere else? R/G monsters seems to have taken a huge spike in popularity and thats the only real change I've noticed in standard lately.

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Boxn posted:

People do play Affinity in Legacy, and some lists are really good. I'd say drop all the Thoughtseizes in exchange for Cabal Therapies, but that's because I'm more biased to Therapy and if you know the meta well it's better than Thoughtseize. I'd say that your list looks pretty good, and I think you'll do fine.

I know people play it in general; I was curious if anyone here played it. Either way, thanks. I might do 2/2. I don't feel like digging 2 more Therapies out of my Cube, plus I have no idea what anyone plays. I've only played legacy there like, 3 times.

What were you running in your golgari? I've been trying to get a few pieces for it when available for trade and might make a deck later.

http://deckbox.org/sets/602477

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Yes please i want some input on legacy bots. I loving love bots and have been working on a legacy build.

Pretty much this, yeah. Although I haven't had enough experience to say whether I really like it or not. Either way, I thought about the Masters, but don't actually have them, soo this os where I am right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Is it against the rules or considered overly rude to help a brand new player at a draft? My fiancee is going to go with me to her first FNM and if she enjoys it I might see if she wants to do draft on sunday but she doesn't know the first thing about drafting, deck building, or card values. The deck she uses now I put together myself. On the offchance she lands some decent packs I'd hate to see good/valuable cards get passed because she didn't know better.

I'd talk to the people there - we ran into the same situation on Black Friday, where we needed the one guy's girlfriend for our 8th person but she was still learning. We let her sit next to him and he helped her pick not terrible cards. Funnily enough, he ended up just barely knocking her out in the first round anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yegor posted:

What matchups are the sideboard Rakdos Charms for?

Always let Ajani ultimate if you're holding the Charm. Always. It can also end the game pretty quick vs. Master of waves. It hits a lot of good Artifacts (Whip, Bow, et al.) and someone will eventually play a Reanimator deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So apparently this is my week to buy packs. Last Friday I bought 6 Born of the Gods packs and got Kitty King, Spirit of the Labyrinth, and a Courser. I impulse-bought 3 more on Monday and got another copy of His Meowjesty and a WU god. Yesterday I got 2 MBS and a NPH and got Consecrated Sphinx, Green Sun, and Karn. I guess this is the world's way of making up for my Theros and M14 boxes.

Edit: I forgot the shiny Sword of War and Peace! That's the best part.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

I can't decide if I hate you or love you now.

Both seems to be a popular choice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I'm rebuilding my Zur deck and I was wondering; if I Whip of Erebos Zur back to play, put Vanishing on him, then phase him out in response to the RFG trigger at EOT (or before the trigger? I'm not sure when the best time to this would be.)... what happens? Phasing technically doesn't cause him to leave play, but it can't be affected by anything because it's phased (I think?)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Korak posted:

Second night of watching Joe Lossett playing Food Chain combo in Legacy, he was constantly 1 counterspell away from hardcasting Emrakrul several games in a row. I'm guessing he needs to just run more early threats that eat up counters or run more counters himself? I can't imagine him playing Goyf but I could see that being a solid early game threat and possible mana dork to feed to food chain if needed.

Does he run that blue mythic bird that can be cast from the RFG zone? I always wanted to get that combo off but never cared enough to actually do it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Yeah that happened to me. Preferences > Reset Match layout

Also Cephalid Breakfast doesn't run Cephalid anymore if you want examples of inaccurate deck names.

That's why it's called Breakfast Burrito now. Plus it's just a better name.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

What do you mean by acknowledged? They've talked about them as examples of good top-down design. There have been other Lich cards playing off the same ideas, including at least one as recent as Alara block. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things.

Form of the Hydra GGGG6 Enchantment
When Form of the Hydra comes into play, shuffle up to 2 decks you own from outside of the game. Those decks gain 10 life. You may play those decks in addition to your own on your turn. Whenever one of those decks have 0 or less life, lose half your life rounded down and that deck is removed from the game. If Form of the Hydra leaves play, those decks life totals become 0.

Or something.

Obviously a templating nightmare and also not something they'd ever make, but I'd play it!
Hire me Wizards!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

oryx posted:

Come on guys, Form of the Hydra has to have X in the casting cost.

Form of the Hydra, XGG, Enchantment,
~ enters the battlefield with X head counters.
If you would lose life, instead remove a head counter from ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put two head counters on ~ for each head counter removed during the previous turn.
If ~ has zero counters on it, you lose the game.

My original idea was GGGGXXX and you get X decks, but that seemed even more ridiculous. So I guess I balanced a fake card that will never get made.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jhorphear posted:

Just started up playing competitive again and got trounced at FNM on firday. Most everyone there is playing R/G or R/W. My mazes end deck is just too slow/janky to really be effective. Any thought on what deck would give me my best matchups? Would a fast agro deck ( rdw, burn, sligh ) give me a better matchup? I don't quite want to dump $300 on a tier 1 deck right now, but its looking like I may just have to do it.

Assuming you're playing Fog Maze's End, you should have a pretty good matchup vs. both of those. You generally want to take the early damage and build up your fogs for later when it matters. My favorite thing ever: attack with Gatekeepers, cast Aetherize, cast Verdict, recast Gatekeepers. Profit!

My list is here if you want to check it out. It's basically worthless, and you probably already have most of the parts for it. So far, I definitely like the Coursers and might go up to 3 if I can be bothered to dig my 3rd one out of my trade binder. I'll probably add a Sphinx's Revelation or 2 over the Opportunities - they're basically the same thing at 6 mana anyway, but with life gain.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551747

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

What a Judas posted:

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

Because it's one of the few alters I've ever seen that I'd actually play? The other being a Griselbrand altered to be a Jigglypuff because I'm actually an 8-year-old at heart.

Edit: And obviously Chefatog.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

The only serious rules changes you need to worry about are.

No more mana burn.
Damage no longer uses the stack.

If you even know what the second one means, you're in great shape to jump back in. Most of the new interactions have come in the way of abilites and keywords. It will take some time to learn what "Exalted" and "Undying" mean, but most are explained on the cards themselves, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, you'll catch on quickly as you play a few games.

P.S. Do you have your old cards?

The other main change is Planeswalkers exist now. Basically, they're like another player on your side. They come into play with a preset number of loyalty counters. They have abilities which you can use once per turn by adding or subtracting the appropriate numbers of counters. They can be attacked instead of you and you can block as normal. Any non-combat damage (but not life loss!) done to you can be redirected to them, and if their counters drop to 0 they're destroyed (or sacrificed? either way it dies.)

I'm sure someone will explain them much better than I did, and with pictures! But I'm on my phone, so this is as good as it'll get from me.

Also, "removed from the game" is now "exiled" for some stupid reason, and "in play" is now "on the battlefield" for slightly less dumb reasons.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The volatility of modern hit me at just about the time I decided Born of the Gods draft was kind of boring and it's really burning me out on the game as a whole.

I'm taking a break but have any advice besides that on how to get back to enjoying things?

If you have friends that aren't lame (I dont,) make a cube and draft with them. You could make a cheap modern deck; Restore Balance is stupid-fun to play and like, $100 - more than half of which is Blood Moons and Enlightened Tutors, same for my Genesis Wave deck, which is pretty cheap. I recently finished a Necrotic Ooze combo deck which is a blast, and not TOO expensive, especially by Modern standards. All 3 are in my list under modern if you're looking for any "cheap" modern decks.

http://deckbox.org/sets/617198

I hate recommending Commander because it's a terrible format full of the worst kinds of people, but if you can find good people to play with, sometimes it's fun?

So looking at my Genesis Wave deck, when did Primetime hit $15+?! And why?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Does that restore balance deck ever win? Whats a typical game with that deck like? Looks fun in a goofy kinda way.

It wrecks any sort of fair decks. T1 Blood Moon is possible, T2 is easy. Pretty much you let them build up while they stare at you wondering what exactly you're doing playing any of the cards you have in your deck. Then, at some point you suspend Gargadon or Nihilith, and cast Violent Outburst on their EOT or whenever it benefits you, and sac all your lands/creatures to the Gargadon. You'll also probably want to empty your hand as much as you can. Beast Within anything they have that won't die, RFG the Spirit Guides, etc.

Tron about to pop a map for their 3rd Tron piece? Violent Outburst. Jund just got you down to 1 card in hand? Violent Outburst. Fish just Vialed their lord in for lethal? VIOLENT OUTBURST!

I love the deck, but man it loses hard to counters. The best thing is to Violent Outburst on their EOT when they have < 3 mana , run it into a counter, then Cascade again on your turn, floating mana before saccing to the Gargadon in case of Spell Pierce or something.

The deck is another goon's thing, and I remember him (or her?) writing a really good primer a few months back. I might put some Dissolves in the side or something to stop Creeping Corrosion/Maelstrom Pulse, because those really hurt. It basically has all the weaknesses of combo with an even worse weakness to artifact hate, with Creeping Corrosion being Armageddon and Ancient Grudge being a double Stone Rain.

Tharizdun posted:

Imagine a game played vs. Living End, only you don't actually win after going off and also your deck scoops to all of the most commonly-played removal in the format, especially Abrupt Decay.

This isn't really that true. Part of it is that if you're going off, it's not necessarily to win. I've won by catching WUR control overextending turn 5ish and blowing their stuff up without the threat of counters. I had no Gargadon, but I had kept my side land-free, so it really set him back and let me play my 3 lands in hand and start building up. I've been hit by 3 Ancient Grudges vs. Tron and still won. Maelstrom Pulse is probably the worst hate that doesn't just kill every artifact. After SB, the Ricochet Traps should almost always go in unless you're pretty sure their only artifact hate is mass hate. They work wonders and I really need to find my 4th copy.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 25, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

I really can't recommend Restore Balance when Living End is the same deck only better in every way. $100+ for a playset of Fulminator Mage kinda sucks, but otherwise the deck is generally very cheap, and is really, really good against aggro.

Fulminator Mages, Fetches, Living End isn't too cheap these days either, all the things the guy whose post I was originally responding to sounded like he was trying to avoid. Restore Balance is just as good, if not better, vs. aggro, with the added benefit of having a chance vs. control by being able to land wipe them every few turns. Plus it doesn't insta-lose to the everpresent graveyard hate (except for Surgical Extraction game 1 and always Extirpate.)

I don't think either deck is in a great position, but I'll take an entire deck that costs less than your playset of Fulminator Mages and does essentially the same thing. There's also a version of Restore Balance which is essentially the Living End shell with Gargadons and Restore Balance.

Besides all that, you're missing the best part of the deck! Everyone sees Living End cycle a Carabid and knows what's coming. Nothing is better than having people scoff at your Borderposts and Court Hussars and Gargadons one turn and having no hand, lands, or creatures the next when they finally see what the deck does. It's the ultimate in feelbads.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

Don't you just fold to Remand?

That's why Violent Outburst is so good. Outburst on their turn, get Balance countered, Cascade again on your turn when they're probably tapped out because they left enough open for Remand. Like I said, the deck is really weak to control but it's doable. It's usually a good idea to side in the Boom/Busts for conrol, too. A lot of them kill with manlands, so cascading into Bust is almost the same as Balance.

Funnily enough, the deck is good against a few tier 1 decks, especially Tron and Pod. It's good vs. Jund if they don't disrupt you too hard at the beginning of the game.

Tharizdun posted:

Besides, you want to talk about a cheap deck - Robots is only a few bones more than Restore Balance, and is actually good/T1!

In the grand scale of modern, robots are definitely cheap. But compared to Restore Balance, my Deckbox strongly disagrees with you (on the price anyway, I'm pretty sure Affinity has better matchups vs. a lot more things.)

$475 for robots vs. $100, $50 of which is Idyllic Tutors which could easily be turned into more Blood Moons and March of the Machines, which would make the deck more like $60-70. And that's what started my Restore Balance talk: he was saying how he can't get into modern because of the ridiculous prices of everything that's in more than 1 deck. There's probably not much that's cheaper than Balance that has many good matchups. It just depends if losing to any deck with counters more often than not is worth $1000+ to you.

Plus, it's something different, and how often do you see that in Magic?

And for what my opinion is worth, if you're going to play Affinity, you might as well play Legacy and save a little money.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Could you see using Plea for Guidance instead of Idyllic Tutor in any situation? I have a bunch of those don't don't feel like dropping 30 bucks more when I have alot of the Restore Balance parts already.

Unfortunately it's just way too expensive. A double Idyllic Tutor isn't nearly as good as 2 Idyllic Tutors. A lot of the time you won't even get the 6 mana necessary for the Plea. I have 3 total so if I'm playing something that Blood Moon really hurts, I'll throw them all in with my Blood Moon as copies 2-4. Same for March of the Machines vs. something where a hoard of 3/3 beats is what I need. It makes me a little weaker vs. control, which is often a lost cause anyway, in that if the enchantment gets countered, I'm boned, but it's better vs. a lot of other decks where I might need to switch from "screw your lands" mode to beatdown mode. Not to mention you can find Ardent Plea with it if you're out of cascaders.

All that having been said, you can easily go 2 Blood Moon 2 March main with a 3rd Moon in the side and not suffer too hard for it. If I remember right, that's what I did before I got the other 2 Tutors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you ever fantasize about being not a grade-schooler with means in 1996 and getting moxes and dual lands super cheap before people know what rares were good, or even before magic was going to be a thing?

Well that was us, collectively, with modern, between 24 and up to about 6 months ago. Fetches were cheap, pods and splinter twins and fastlands and collonades and all sorts of poo poo were cheap. I got fulminators and chords and remands for cheap.

People are turned off now but we just went through the golden age of modern pricing and it will never be the same again. I think lots of people's professed hate at the format and its prices is a projection of their own bad feelings for not recognizing this.

Now, if you've been into the game less than one year that is a completely different situation and I can totally understand.

Yeah, every time I look at prices I wish I would have bought that $400 Alpha Lotus or the $50 Mox, or the $10 duals but being 8 didn't put me in a great position to do that, not that I understood why I would want to pay $10 for a land that's 2 lands in 1 anyway. I really wish I'd bought Revised instead of 4th, but why would I buy THIRD edition when FOURTH edition was out? That doesn't make any sense! Force of Will, on the other hand I knew was really good when it was $15, but again, being 14 didn't put me in a much better position to buy them either.

I stopped buying a ton of Magic after the set before Mirrodin (Onslaught?) and didn't really get back into it until recently in RTR block. I'd usually buy a fat pack or 2 to see what I got, and more of the sets I really liked, especially ROE and NPH. But aside from an Emrakul, I never really got anything of value. So it's pretty frustrating that I bought all those cards, got nothing of value, and now I have to buy all these other cards at these ridiculous prices. And this is coming from someone who, without trying to brag, makes substantially more than most Magic players. I honestly don't know how someone working at Lowe's or whatever can afford to buy a $2500 Jund deck.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Wow, I didn't think that was such a taboo thing to say. I've played some legacy and have friends who are really into it, and even they'll say a lot of popular decks are about exploiting card interactions. I actually find the format fascinating in that it takes a lot of skill and brains to play, and it's neat to see people do stuff with cards that I'm sure no one at Wizards ever intended to have happen. When they printed grindstone, I doubt that they ever thought that 15 years later they would make a card that along with it would instantly mill someone out in one turn, or that Show and Tell would be eventually be used to put a 15/15 creature with a million insane abilities into play on turn 3, or that reanimate could be used on turn 1 to play a giant demon that draws you 7 cards, or that Thespian's stage could copy a land and instantly get you a 20/20 creature.

Sorry I offended you.

The problem is you're pretty much repeating a blatantly false "fact" that a lot of people believe that keeps them out of Legacy. Until a year or so, I pretty much believed that too; if you don't have all 4 Forces, you don't have a chance because you're just going to die turn 0. That's definitely not even close to true. I just finished Legacy Affinity because I got tired of Breakfast Burrito and wanted to interact at least a little. The format is 100% about efficiency. Jace and Skrillex are free cards every turn, Stoneforge is a 2-mana instant speed Batterskull, Swords is a 1-mana, unconditional kill spell for a few life.

All the examples you give really aren't that bad. Show and Tell has counters (Ashen Rider, Consecrated Sohinx, Sower, Notion Thief, etc.) Marit Lage dies to Swords, Abrupt Decay, etc. Sometimes you're screwed turn 1, sure, but more often than not you have answers.

The worst part though about saying things like that is that you're ignoring the real problem of the format: the reserve list, and inflation in general. Having to drop $1500+ for a land base of fetches, duals, and Wastelands which anymore go through a significant price spike every few months is going to kill the format faster than any turn 1 deck.

That said, I'd say he overreacted pretty hard.

• Locked thread