Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Achmed Jones posted:

oh! a dynamic fast paced environment where employees must thrive in ambiguity and challenge the status qu-

*sprays blood from eyes as purple light streams from mouth and withered husk of body begins to writhe and bubble*

Seriously. Can I get "A stable, deliberate environment where employees can reasonably expect to work on a thing for more than a day before the company's entire strategy changes, and that the things they work on have an outside chance of seeing the light of day?"

Anybody? No? Okay then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Good Will Hrunting posted:

No idea how people are productive on code problems after work. I'd have to quit again or get fired, or accept a big pay cut, to get this level of TC again.

As a senior dev I currently spend more time discussing requirements and technical feasibility with Product/other management, and higher-level design, than I do writing code. At this point I code problems for interview prep would probably be rather stimulating, especially without the added pressure of being unemployed and NEEDING to do well on this or that interview exercise.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AgentCow007 posted:

I've been at my 'junior software developer' job for a year now and still haven't touched a line of production code.

I took a contractor job out of college because COVID was just kicking off, it was an easy in, and the salary was acceptable. I did 6 months of goofy Java "training" as per my contract, then I had no contact from anyone for 3 months, and then finally they put me on a team doing manual QA for IoT appliances and their apps. The workload is still really low... last week was a busy week when I got asked to do two 15 minute tasks.

I'm so conflicted because I'm the laziest motherfucker on the internet and I love getting paid to have unlimited free time and an excuse to stay home, but also I am mortified that I put work into school and learning to code, and actually like it, but don't do it. It's pretty demoralizing in a way I shouldn't let continue.

Anyone have any advice on how I might transition to something while mitigating the whole factor of "I spent my first year as a software developer developing nothing"? I've written a few small JS CRUD apps and web scrapers in my personal time but nothing really portfolio worthy. I'm thinking a solid portfolio app might be a good next step, but that seems more like something that would land me in the same pay range, and not leverage anything I've [allegedly] done this year for any sort of advancement.

Yeah honestly you should be able to land another job as a junior/associate without a lot of trouble after a year working. There's a world of difference in an interviewer's eyes between "junior candidate with 1 year experience" and "fresh grad, same as all the other fresh grads, just throw a dart." I would definitely start looking though, you should be spending the majority of your time coding at your level. They're wasting your time and staying there is going to hurt your career long term.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

asur posted:

Is this really a concern in software? Short term and long term disability along with FMLA and a good healthcare plan should alleviate most concerns and it's not uncommon for a company to give more than that if you need it.

Sure, if your company happens to act in good faith, play by the rules, and recognize the value of retaining senior employees.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
When we switched to fully remote, I tried to keep things moving and under 15 minutes in the morning. Pretty quickly, I got a lot of feedback that the vast majority of my team prefers to not be rushed in the morning, which usually results in 30-45 minutes. Requirements clarification happens there, design discussion happens there, as well as personal chit-chat and making fun of the executives after their latest all-hands announcements. Everyone seems to want the interaction that we don't get as much of during the work day since we're all remote.

At my last job, when we were in the office and all standing around a projector while the manager went down the extremely long list of in-progress tickets one at a time, it was 45 minutes of hell. But oddly enough, in this situation, it doesn't feel bad. I think I'd personally prefer to keep things short and deal with the other questions in other, smaller meetings, but ultimately it works for us. We're one of the more successful teams in the company in terms of meeting goals, building products that function in time for the people that need them (usually the larger project is months behind and we get to say "yeah we've been ready for the last 3 weeks" when someone asks why thing isn't done).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look at the camera, try to project a sense that I am paying attention to the person that is currently speaking. I mean, it's not like I'm not paying attention when I look away, but people tend to get the wrong impression.

That said, my primary video chat these days is group therapy, so the norms are gonna be a little different. I still find those calls exhausting even if I don't say much.

I stand while working and I pace back and forth on camera all the time, whether I'm talking or not, which means not only am I not looking at the camera, I'm going in and out of frame. I've never received any negative feedback about it. Granted, I spend most of my meeting time with team members; we all know each other well at this point. The one situation that occurs regularly where I modify my behavior a bit is a 1:1 with my direct manager, because it's a bit more of a personal conversation.

I think that people like us (technical problem solvers) tend to worry a lot about things that we might think could be problems, but aren't actually problems most of the time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've received direct feedback that just closing my eyes (which I do to help concentrate on what someone is saying) is being read as being dismissive of what [person providing feedback] was saying. Now, I was able to tell that person "I'm just doing that so I can listen to you better", and I do think that in a work context it'd be at least a little different, but it's still very easy to misinterpret body language over video chat.

Again, a problem that wouldn't be there if the cameras were off.

Ah, that sucks. At least it sounds like you are able to correct misunderstandings, and if you're working with otherwise reasonable people you should be able to set expectations over time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Good Will Hrunting posted:

We have now opened 2 more roles at the level I should have been promoted to, in addition to the role we just filled there, with someone that has a PhD and only 3.5 years of experience at a real company. I asked my manager why not promote internally and his answers were the most non-answers imaginable and they 100% just want to milk my contributions at my current level instead of recognize me. Complete joke. So excited to leave.

I like to play the competing game, "How little can I contribute and for how long?" It's the phase in the employment cycle where you can learn new tech instead of just gain a deeper understanding of the arcane rules of the specific industry niche your company du jour happens to be in.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I will point out that while all of this advice is good and correct when it comes to calculating taxes, budgeting, and comparing your current gig to potential future ones, the equation changes when you're actually negotiating switching jobs. "Well, I have RSUs and options worth [almost naively optimistic value] with my current company, can you match that in a signing bonus?"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

downout posted:

I have no idea if elon has a software background or even claimed to, but that request should make any engineer that has experience and isn't tied by a visa to gtfo.

Caring about the number of lines of code committed is a loud declaration that one does not have a software background.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Erg posted:

I think people are talking about earlier when he was telling people to print out their last 50 pages of code

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/30/23430008/elon-musk-twitter-homepage-subscriptions-changes

There’s also this deeply stupid nugget

That's what I was talking about, yes. I hadn't realized we were dealing with two separate events.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
The more theories I see from confident people about this, the less I worry about my job prospects.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know what to think about this switch to senior positions or whatever because they all demand lots of very specific skills and experience that nobody has.

Most senior jobs don't actually demand anywhere close to what they list on the posting. Yeah sometimes algorithms will gently caress you over; I recommend putting a bunch of keywords on an "other skills" kind of section at the end of the resume for the robots to read, just tell something approaching the truth if a human asks you about a specific one. But I can also tell you that I've had better experiences with recruiters as a senior candidate than I did as a junior.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Yeah each gig has its own host of problems. For me it really just comes down to how many meetings I need to have and how much engineering I actually get to do.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

raminasi posted:

I wonder if I’ll ever get to a point in my career where I stop thinking of this kind of thing as depressing and grim. This isn’t a dig at you, props for playing the game, but “The celebrated centerpiece of my promotion narrative was me doing something that had absolutely no material impact on anyone at my company” just reads so bleak.

As Artemis spoke to, it helps when you change your perspective. At any given job, I get fulfillment on a micro scale: I fix a nasty or tenacious bug, I come up with an elegant implementation for a specific feature, I teach something to one of my peers. If I'm thinking about career progression, I'm thinking about either broadening or deepening my own knowledge of a language or technology. I'm teaching what I know to the young'uns (the act of which, again, deepens my own knowledge). Sometimes you can get promotions and raises from within, by actually doing good work that gets shipped and used. But I've seen a lot of bad, uncoordinated, uncommunicative leadership over my career that prevents that kind of thing from happening a lot of the time. I choose to care about my own personal growth, rather than the growth of a company - what is ultimately a faceless, lifeless machine. Maybe one day I'll be part of a tiny company where everyone is equally invested (literally), and my perspective will shift accordingly. But zero-point-zero-three percent equity that vests over 5 years is not "We're all in this together!"

Meanwhile I'll get my fulfillment, as I said, on a micro scale at work, and otherwise via non-work activities.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CPColin posted:

Dear CEO,

Leave the technical decisions to me and I'll leave the idiot business decisions to you.

Love,
(my boss's name instead)

On the other hand, sometimes CEOs read huge tech news, and I would much, MUCH rather them come to me, taking what in a case like this would amount to a few minutes of my time, instead of sounding an alarm among the other executives and causing a big stink that will linger for weeks.

Hell, executives routinely discount the experience they're paying me for, so having them actually seek it out is a notable event.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hadlock posted:

Agree

They want to hire like, the lead developer of X-plane or DCS World John Carmack type person

$105k/year, no 401k match yet while we run lean but maybe soon!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ensign Expendable posted:

Re: interviewing in Python

I interviewed at Wealthsimple for a manager position. They asked me to do a relatively simple problem in any language I felt comfortable with, so I did it in Java.

Apparently that was the wrong answer since in the next call I had with them I was told that they wanted someone who knew a modern programming language.

Maybe I should switch to Python too.

Hell of a leap from "this is one language the candidate felt comfortable with" to "doesn't know any modern language." That's without addressing their definition of "modern" if they aren't applying it to Java.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Guinness posted:

Yeah this exactly. n = 2 use cases is often not enough to generalize and then when the third or fourth use case eventually come along it gets shoehorned in to a bad abstraction

Especially when someone is wading into unfamiliar territory and doesn’t understand the full scope and impact of business logic

I call it "dying on the hill of DRY."

I've also continuously run into generalizations that were solely there for future proofing. You know, "we might need to account for this case in the future." My most successful (by my standards) team to date became really disciplined about only solving the problem in front of us, and it led to better code, deployed faster. The vast majority of the time the future case never happened. When it did, and we decided that it justified a refactor towards a generic implementation, we had those specific cases already deployed and debugged and surrounded with unit tests. Made it safer in my opinion.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vulture Culture posted:

What's really neat about this is that the tests on your first pass almost certainly documented the most specific cases that were necessary in production. The generic implementation probably didn't do this half as well or as obviously

Exactly. You get your first and arguably most important behaviors, blueprint them with tests, and later you can refactor with confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

leper khan posted:

take the example in your edit. you could use that to sell yourself as being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. you didnt in your text, but you could. start by cutting the self-deprecation and focusing on the value you delivered and what you did to achieve that. your story plays better in the reverse of how you said it [hired for 3 summers, started not knowing anything, tenaciously looked for info on how to succeed, worked alone without significant help, they probably didnt want to hire me but it worked out for both of us]

Exactly this. Rewrite that paragraph so that it transmits, "it was a challenge, and I overcame it" rather than "the company only had bad options, but at least I didn't gently caress it up too badly." You can be honest about your experience without being down on yourself, and the fact is that you have succeeded without your hand being held already. Talk that up. The ability to research is a huge part of this career, whether you're on your first gig or your tenth.