Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Most programmers I know work too much to begin with; if they're doing anything on the side it's a secret project they wanna sell someday, not CV filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Now they want me to do two additional technical interviews. Feels like a bad sign when there's this many hoops, like they don't know what they're looking for. Somewhat disrespectful of my time too, they can't even schedule them one after the other, but spread them over one day.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tezzeract posted:

In my experience when I have additional technical interviews, I did well enough on a lot of the team fit and general aptitude parts, but they're not 100% sure that my technical skills are up to snuff.

Which is pretty fair because I probably wing too many interviews and I should only interview after having 1000+ LCs under my belt :3:

I feel like I don't interview particularly well and was never that interested in solving a bunch of programming championship puzzles, so yeah, maybe. It's tough, I'm not the fastest programmer, and I don't generally memorize a lot of programming stuff. I'm at my best when I can take my time with a complex problem, or as an authority on a system I've worked with for a while, neither of which I feel aids me in interviews, making me pretty nervous about them. I wonder if delivering short solutions to the programming tests they put me through hurt me; I usually view that as a plus, especially when it aids in readability, but maybe it does not inspire the same confidence as doing things the hard way.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 28, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Prepare.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
For me, I can solve those problems pretty quickly on my own, very quickly if I allow myself to google the solution like you would in reality, but in an interview with someone looking over my shoulder I freeze up and have trouble with spelling errors and poo poo. It's weird, I have no problem with pair-programming at work.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sab669 posted:

Back in '19 a company offered me a job but the pay wasn't competitive enough so I turned them down in favor of another job.

As mentioned a few weeks back, I got laid off from said job and now just applied to that company I turned down ~1.5 years ago :v: Assuming one of their recruiters reaches out to me, would it be a bad idea to be like, "Hey so in the interest of saving everyone time I turned down a job from you guys in the past over pay... So what do you pay now?"

I would probably not be so flippant about it, but mentioning that you have applied before and was given an offer in the first interview, if they don't beat you to it, seems like a good idea.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 27, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I got an offer, it's below my current salary, I want to make a counter offer, but the offer came out of left field from HR, not the director/people I had been talking to. Who do I respond to?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Frontenders who don't want to pull their test-writing weight because backenders "are better at it" are annoying, so stay full stack.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Embedded is cool. Move to Sweden and do something cool with buttons.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
US tech salaries are crazy, even with loads of experience salaries are mostly capped at like 150k here in Norway, and as far as I know that's true for the big companies with offices here too. I am doing really great for 4 years (90th percentile) and pull in 105k.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cuntpunch posted:

Norway has a much smaller variation from the lowest paid to the highest paid, it's part of why it's a functional society (:v:)

This is one aspect of it, but a few groups do manage to break out, like finance and top leadership, which makes it seem a little more conservative.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It probably depends on who is interviewing you. I would be less judgemental of taking a year off to be depressed and doing nothing than I would be of taking a year to gamble on day trading. Starting a business that never goes anywhere is probably a good excuse with most people.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rujasu posted:

I work with Java mostly, but yeah it's a webdev job. Part of what prompted this was one of my coworkers today just randomly "refactoring" an API I had written, which he wasn't even assigned to work on, he was just supposed to be writing the web app consuming it, to make everything "reactive", throw in a bunch of lambdas, etc. without even talking to me about it, and acted like my code was all antiquated basically. So yeah I'm feeling extra salty today, but also trying to gauge how much of this is him, how much of it is webdev in general, how much of it is just dev in general, etc.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "reactive" in a Java backend context, but lambdas have been a part of Java for a very long time now and being salty about them is a bit weird.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Plorkyeran posted:

What once widely used languages actually have died out? Pascal and Basic are the only ones which really comes to mind for me. Most languages which have substantially shrunk in relevance continue to be used in the niche where they were originally used, and that niche just became a much smaller portion of software being written. Perl’s a big exception there as it actually has been replaced by other languages, but people get very mad if you say Perl is dead.

My previous workplace still relied on Perl stuff. There's a project to replace it but I would say they're looking at atleast 3 years of work getting most of the functionality duplicated, and even then they will probably maintain and run it in paralell for longer than that.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's the course I failed the first time around in uni because it was just rote memorization and boring. Sure, this stuff powers everything cool, but we never did anything with it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Comb Your Beard posted:

What are some good resources out there for former Java developers who wanna get back into the language but are a bit out of date? Say version 7 (2011) is the starting point. I use it at work but all more legacy apps. Got a decent opportunity coming up that I think would need me to step it a bit there.

Worth learning Spring Boot? I remember regular Spring. Remember not liking it and the xml thingys.

You probably have more experience than me, but I find that there's always so many changes in each version, but most of them totally irrelevant to my use. As for things I found worth making note of was try-with-resources in Java 7, Lambdas in Java 8 and the var keyword for type inference in Java 10.

I rewrote a Apache Camel project that used Spring to use Spring Boot and found it pretty straightforward even if you don't have a lot of experience with the former. I don't think it's going to come up again for me, but your experience might be different.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My previous job (public sector) had almost 50% women, but my current (private sector) has none.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

(Really hoping this doesn't turn the discussion into a loving nightmare)

I'm not a lawyer but isn't that illegal? I'm pretty sure the entire idea of not being able to discriminate cuts both ways. You can't not hire someone because they're a woman/minority, but you also can't not hire someone because they're not a woman/minority.

Pretty much much all public sector jobs here have a policy of everything else being equal to prefer the minority candidate. For nursing that means men.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I will assume, that for those places doing affirmative action right, like where I used to work, there's some flexibility here. Like, it's hard to quantify what makes a candidate better than another, and so often it comes down to gut feelings and "culture fit". So, if after going through 40 candidates, 36 of which were white men, you're left with two dudes and a woman that seem fit for the job, you should be choosing the woman even if one of the guys went to a slightly better school, or really wowed you with his craft beer knowledge or whatever. Especially if men already vastly outnumber women at your workplace.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Considering how many of you are shooting for FAANG stuff pretty much exclusively I am surprised they don't start people out on low salaries with the promise of big raises and then just fire people before they reach them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rt4 posted:

I don't have it in writing yet, but they said it's a the lower rate until I complete their training, which is supposed to revolve around bringing me up to speed on modern ops tooling. They gave me a specific salary for training and a higher one for post-training which is permanent.

Some consultancy firms have a "bench" rate and a rate for when you're billing a client. You get the bench rate if you're between clients and twiddling your thumbs. It's usually 40-60% of your usual salary. If they're saying you get that while doing your training that's probably okay, but I would not take it if that would entail an effective pay cut.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
At least part of it must be a negotiation tactic. Harass the prospective employee to make them feel unworthy, then give them an offer and demand a reply as soon as possible. A lot of people probably decline to negotiate after jumping through that many hoops.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rt4 posted:

The one with on-call told me it's never over 40 hours per week except potentially in case of on-call. So far, they won't commit to anything about the on-call volume. They say they have no data since I'm the first person in the role, but you'd think they could say something about how many complaints they ignore in a typical month!

So, you're the only person on-call? Meaning, you would be on-call all the time? Usually you spread that responsibility across a team, so people can make plans, trade shifts with each other and, you know, actually enjoy their evenings most of the time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would go for the money, because you can always leave and there are no guarantees with the other job, but the on call stuff sounds pretty shady. I guess by the time you're onboarded there might be people to help carry the load, but depending on the complexity of the tasks responding to such calls entail that could take a while. Just seems like bad planning on their side.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

move me beyond the tech screen phase and directly into the trash

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The self-justifying strategizing, implied inevitability and sense of inflated self-importance in those posts made me think of gamblers talking about their plan to make it big. Now I understand that's actually a pretty accurate read?

Trying to get paid is well and good, but it sounds like you're doing more harm to yourself than good. I don't think it's wrong to apply to a job that's probably out of your reach, but I would definitely get back to the 250k position first if I could.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I could stand to receive a pm with an invite to this jaded discord, maybe.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think the ideal job to do on the side would be something in the food industry, like a cook. Then you should start a restaurant.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

iloverice posted:

I have a $50/month professional development budget and don't really know what to spend it on. My manager was pretty clear that as long as it is for personal growth (even for areas outside of work), he'll approve it. Any suggestions on what to use it on? I'm drawing a blank other than books?

$50 bottles of wine; improve your palate and wine knowledge.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
"Monoliths are good, actually." *develops something that can never be changed significantly, then quits*

edit: beaten

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Post-late-stage capitalism insurance company hitmen. They will fit your 85-year-old rear end in around all the people with lifetime warranties they have to kill.

what do you think covid-19 is for? :tinfoil:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hadlock posted:

1) this is a highly technical thread
2) most people in this thread are in the top 3%, or at least top 7%

If posters in this thread don't understand basic tax loopholes that apply to them, society as a whole is hosed because that means less technical members of society are probably doing even less research on saving money

People who think about tax should probably be sent to jail.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol it's definitely possible to do programming professionally without having any of those skills

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

leper khan posted:

As an ex-google ex-facebook ex-married ex-millionairre tech-lead,

oliveoil?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My boss is dividing the team (in practice) into two, with one part being given all of the responsibility of doing triage and handling customer tickets in addition to their regular duties. This new "team" consist of all the newest hires.

Up until now we've had a lot of freedom, with areas of responsibility that we're expected to improve upon on our own initiative. Customer tickets were, in theory at least, handled by the team as a whole. It sure feels like they're making an a-team and a b-team, because while doing tickets is probably a good way to ensure new people learn all parts of the architecture, there does not appear to be a way to "graduate" from this initiative.

It sucks that I will no longer have the freedom that was sold to me when they hired me, and that I will have to context switch to do tickets the people from the a-team deride as "boring as poo poo". I feel pretty worried that if they need to let people go they'll just cut the b-team, although I guess they probably would have given the least senior people the boot anyway.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ensign Expendable posted:

How good is your boss generally about matching the available work to what you want to work with? Can you say something like "I would like to get better at using X technology and feature Y looks like a good place to apply it" in a 1:1? There's not much you can do if your boss is actively separating you from interesting work, but the first step is bringing up the problem from a constructive angle.

The boss has been completely hands off until now. Presumably he will be after this as well. He's not involved with the tickets or this initiative as such.

I have a focus area / part of the architecture I am expected to own, and I do have long term and short term goals/plans for it. This is simply an added duty I will have to do at the same time.

The initiative ensures tickets have a specific place to land inside the team instead of being tossed around between people who have other stuff they would rather do. I guess the last part is still true, but only for half the team going forward.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
One of the somewhat more senior developers on the ticket team has been given the job of coordinating the teams efforts, but they're not really a manager as such.

I don't actually mind the work itself, the tickets are easy, and helping someone who actually cares about a problem is validating to me. I do mind that there's does not seem to be as much room for personal growth. It seems to me like people get recognition and clout here by proposing and delivering on larger individual projects; if half my time is taken up by working on these tickets that's a lot of time spent doing work I probably won't get any recognition for. It could hurt my salary growth, especially as it seems like some very well compensated on-call duties will be limited to the people on the a-team.

Rotating the duty seems a lot fairer, but yeah, I don't think I will make a lot of friends by speaking up.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 17, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, I was hired to work only on one part of the architecture, one particular technology, and this was meant to be my career move away from tickets, at least tickets not relating to this specific thing, to a more senior/architect/independent role. It feels like a step back. I guess they could have decided it's not as an important area for them after all, or that I am not as senior as they expected. Unfortunately, our contract gives them a lot of room to change the nature of the position, so I don't think I have a strong case.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Plorkyeran posted:

Usually not even that. How much it costs to replace an experienced employee who has learned all of the relevant domain knowledge is really hard to calculate, so they usually just go with the cost of hiring an employee for an entirely new position.

In the public sector here, new hires are pretty much guaranteed to be paid quite a bit more than most people with seniority. There are lots of programmers who have been in the same position for many, many years with negligible raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

luchadornado posted:

Happy log4j 0 day to all the JVM devs out there!

Thanks, went dependency hunting today, and we're good.