Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

There is always the chance it could blow. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

CoC and Warhammer LCG never really interested me/looked fun, so I guess there's a chance I may just avoid it on principle.

Word is that it is Eric Lang's project so if you dislike CoC and WH:I you will dislike this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

I dunno if the Fantasy setting just doesn't grab me, or if watching it played at Worlds just turned me off. Pardon the Vassal-ism, but it just doesn't look "fun" next to Netrunner or Star Wars :shrug:

I have played it a number of times and I agree it is not really fun compared to the newer LCGs. Most the time it felt like a more complex version of MTG (without really being deeper) with YGO style combos.
I have heard CoC is also really combo based so I have a feeling this might end up the same way.

It might turn out ok but I'd mostly only play to check out the Orkz.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

Richard Garfield did a AMA a couple of days ago and someone asked a question regarding Jyhad/VTES and he confirmed that FFG was working on a LCG version.

Then FFG quickly dashed my elation on BGG by saying that they did some work on it but ultimately decided not to publish it. :negative:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/20f1dn/we_are_richard_garfield_creator_of_magic_the/cg2nkdt?context=3

Likely from a mix of the game being hard to update while keeping it's core feel and CCP being odd about how they are handling the WoD line.

I'd have loved it as a nice break from the 1v1 dueling games that the LCGs tend to be. It is a shame they passed on it, I hope they cycle back to it some time in the future.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
The new Doomtown's rule book is up.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/files/2014/04/DTR_Rulebook.pdf
Only minor changes from the old game. Nice to see they supper multiplayer from the core box. The FFG LCGs are missing a good multiplayer game. I had hopes for V:TES but that never saw production.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

These people are also probably the same kind of people who loathed Netrunner because Noise was powerful for like 3 months and quit the game. gently caress those kinds of people.

Hey Noiseshop was kind of annoying. But I do agree it is insane to just not get into a game if you are worried about having to buy more cores for a full play set.

I think the game does look a little bland, mostly just deploying, one hidden action deploy, and punching each other.
It really comes down to how interesting the card effects end up being I guess. It feels like it might end up being another Star Wars LCG where games are done in 4-5 turns and it mostly comes down to who can swing the hardest.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Almost all the cards are "Quantity: 1", looks like you will have to go 2 Cores just to deck build much at all. Three for compeative likely. With the command groups and the few 2 drops there will be so many extra cards with three cores.

Too big a starting investment for me, I will likely skip this one.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

I'm a sperg with a day off, so I went through the card lists and compared it to the favorite example, Netrunner:

Netrunner Core:
252 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 182.
1x and 2x you buy the core for: 70.

Conquest Core:
274 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 93.
1x and 2x you buy the core for*: 181.

*Not counting the token cards, which seem useful to have, but don't have a listed quantity on cardgameDB. Included in the "redundant" cards from conquest are the planet cards, signature squads, and warlords.

For what you are paying for, and without anyone besides FFG having any hands-on experience as to which cards are "worth it," the second core set is actually a lot of value.

Edit: The third conquest box gets you 120 "useful" cards. Netrunner? 11.

FFG got me to buy a 3rd Netrunner box :smithicide:

See I never bought a 3rd Netrunner Core and have never found the need too. The few 1 drops you can work around without hurting your self too much and now they are all being reprinted as Promos so the point is mute.

Conquest almost requires 3 boxes with how many 1 drops there are in there.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

:smith:

I'm curious why. I wouldn't have minded it ditching the VTM setting, but the mechanics were pretty solid (based on my limited experience with it).

Likely was not able to bring it in line with the other LCGs without dumbing the game down too much. V:TES had so many moving parts that you end up with a bunch of cards that have little to no relation to other aspects of the game entirely. You have Combat, Hunting, Draining, Politics, Stealth, etc. So many Disciplines for the differing clans that you end up having a huge number of cards needed to just get started and so many clans that it'd be hard to support them all if you made each on it's own faction.

It's a HUGE undertaking to get it going so it is really high risk with unknown reward.

That said I want nothing more than a LCG remake of V:TES. It is by FAR the best multiplier CCG ever made, Only thing that even came close was Doomtown and that breaks at 5+. I have hard well working games of V:TES with 7+ players, they take forever but are insanely fun.

Sadly now that CCP has killed the World of Darkness MMO they likely won't want to work on much WoD stuff as it is not a big money maker for them.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Nion posted:

V:TES with only 3 of each card would have to be a very different game. Might be doable as an LCG with either a smaller deck that you reshuffle whenever it runs out (though I'd miss the 90 card decks, big part of the "feel" of the game for me), or different packaging (3 copies of some cards, can only have 3 of those in your deck, 9 copies of others, can play 9 of those, for example).

The only way I can see it working is something like Star Wars mixed with Warhammer 40k.
You pick a main ID Vampire that comes with some cards themed around them, this also picks your clan. From there you build a Crypt with Vampires that each come with a crypt of cards fitting their Disciplines and such.
From there maybe have a influence system that allows you to put in X number of floater cards from any pod you are not already running.

Like you take Enkidu, The Noah as your leader making your deck a Gangrel deck. He comes with a few animalism retainers and some combat cards to go with his classic ability.
From there you are able to fill up your crypt with Vampires that have pods that support his range of disciplines. Say if at the end you find you need some more cards like Blood Doll to help regain some blood you just spend some of your influence to pull it out of a pod that has it but you are not running the vampire for.

It'd run into the same problems Star Wars did with needing a bigger card pool to really get going but I think it'd make for some interesting and deep deck building in that style. Also allows you to theme the Vampires really well. Each one having their own self contained little section of the world they relate too. If the they own a bar have that in their pod as a location, if they are a gruff beater type you toss in their favorite attacks, etc.
It'd really keep with the idea of being a powerful Methuselah using a puppet (your leader) to manipulate others to reach your goal.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Shadowfist and Doomtown are both better than VTES.

E: Doomtown has better mechanics, particularly in Reloaded, and Shadowfist is much smarter in the way it handles combat.

Doomtown breaks at more than 4 players while V:TES can handle larger groups fine. I will agree combat is the weakest part of V:TES but it can be updated in a new release to fix that. Shadowfist is a game I have never tired so I have no idea how it handles.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Why specifically do you think Doomtown "breaks" at more than 4 players?

Whoever wins Low Ball gets an insanely powerful econ boost that turn, Low Ball tends to be mostly random so it can really break a game.
Shoot Outs get too clunky and unwieldy at 4+.
Once some one starts to pull ahead it is really easy for people to team up on them making the game far longer than it needs to be.

V:TES's Predator -> Prey prevented most of those issues by making it so only players next to each other can interact without a (D)irected action. Meaning you can build a deck around interacting with other plays cross table (becoming a powerful force for Table Talk as people ask for aid) or you can go Stealth so people can't bug you, or you can go Politics and have people debating over a single vote on a Referendum.

I have had games where my Combat deck (Yes I know combat is awful but I love Enkidu, The Noah far too much) has a bunch of directed actions to pull people into combat and deal aggravated damage. This makes me a really powerful force on the table as I can take out titled vampires before votes, aid some one who is about to get drained to death, etc. Keeping the Pray of others alive matters just as much as killing my own, I want to make sure I get the first kill and can lead that into a chain reaction of kills with the bonus blood I gain.

No other card game has ever come close to the level of depth V:TES manages to pull off in large groups.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I can understand those points. I guess it really is just that Doomtown is too random and swingy for me for group play. Like I really do enjoy dueling in it. Just in a big group it feels so messy.
I think it comes down more to in Doomtown I feel like I am just trying to play the game while in V:TES I am trying to play the table.
IMO Doomtown plays better 1v1 while V:TES plays better in a group.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Upper Deck Entertainment has never been the greatest company in terms of legalese or player communication.

If I remember right there was some big counterfeit YGO card scandal involving them. I am guessing they just plan to sell off a bunch of stock at Gencon and drop it soon after for a cash and grab.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Is there a Warhammer 40k Conquest topic yet?
I have been trying it out on OCTGN and really enjoying it.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

The idea of this thread is so that a thread for each LCG that isn't Netrunner doesn't get pushed into archives. We've been just using this thread to talk about it.

Myself and Vulturesrow have been playing the odd matchup randomly throughout the week, and I think we are both getting pretty into it. We've been just using the decks out of the box to get the mechanics down, but good lord not having a 50 card deck hurts if you have a really strong start with lots of card draw. By turn 3 I had maybe 8 cards left in my deck? And the Planets were set up in a way that you couldn't win until turn 4 even if you took every planet. I was being aggressive and winning every battle, but there was a good chance if we let the game actually play out I would have lost.
That is fair. Just been seeing it a bunch on OCTGN so thought it might get it's own topic like Doomtown: Reloaded has.

Mostly I was looking for advice on constructed Tau. Right now I am focusing on Drones for grabbing planet's resources early and loading up the Ranaged guy or the one that gets +1 Damage for each Attachment and trying to snipe the other players Warlord.
Most of my problems have been coming from Chaos and Orks when we get a 3 planet win flop. They can always grab the first world and just chain off there.
So any advice about how to slow down aggression on a flop like that?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Whats your name on OCTGN? Same as my SA name for me so if you see me on send a request.

Same as on SA. I mostly play Netrunner when I am on but if you ever want to Warhammer hit me up.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Something that would be cool to see would be to do a similar thing like with Star Wars and aGoT and Conquest, and focus on "pods" of the families with clans. So instead of making a destiny deck with just all Scorpions, I'm playing Scorpion Clan , which has a Clan champion with 10 cards in a combination of specialty buildings and resources, and a few Personal Guard. The rest of the Destiny deck is made with 5 families, three of which must be scorpion and 2 can be from other factions. So my deck is Courtiers and Samurais so I'm using the Bayushi Family "pod", the Shosuro family, and Soshi families, they are supported by an allied faction which in this case is the Lion who are the "Akodo" family, and the "Matsu" family. Those cards each contain say 6 cards in some combination of personalities and resources.
So you've got 10 cards that come with your Clan
30 cards that come from 5 Families made up of 6 cards each.
There's your 40 card destiny.

Fate more or less stays the same though certain familiars could have certain "forced" additions in the fate side as well. That would make for interesting combinations and a lot more of the "politicing" of who's clan your second.

I really hope they don't go into the Pod system. I feel that system is one of the main reasons Star Wars and Conquest are in the state they are now. Giving up so much deck building control really hurts the over all health of the game.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

^^^ I agree and feel like they will probably cave on that unless there is some patent on completely ripping off M:TG's standard format. To make another analogy, they've got a core set with Lightning Bolts and Counterspells and poo poo in it and it's going to blot out a lot of the design space unless they rotate some of that stuff out occasionally

Card draw, tutoring, and graveyard recursion are so abundant in Netrunner, at least on the runner side, that sometimes adding a single card to a deck can make a huge difference. Like adding 1 Medium to a tournament worthy MaxX deck without a djinn to tutor it is perfectly normal and will likely make a big impact. Runner decks feel like Legacy/Modern M:TG toolbox decks or something, I love it.

Anyways, point being that the abundance of card draw and tutoring abilities kind of indirectly makes big difference in deck construction. Baby LCGs seem to suffer a bit not only from their smaller card pool but the limited amount of cards they see in a match due to less draw/tutor/recursion effects that are in the environment, early on.

Can't really disagree on the Runner side there since my Valencia deck that runs 7 one ofs in a 50 card deck has a over 70% win rate at tournaments and the 1 drops always have a big impact.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

What makes L5R good? What's the defining mechanic(s)?

Here are a few of the big points:

It's a dueling game with multiplayer support, The 1v1 game is really strong and it scales up to 5 players easily.

There are 3+ win conditions making for more varied deck design. You can kill all 4 of the other players Provinces, get all 5 of the Rings into play, or lower the other players Honor to -20.

Your units (Personalities) preform the actions. Most action cards take a Personality of one class or another to perform the action. This plays hugely into the combat of the game since most the time they have to be at that battle to be able to take an action there.

Combat is really tactical. It is not just smashing your numbers into their numbers. It is about scouting ahead for advantages, tactical maneuvering from one battle field to another, and even having your commanders duel one on one before their forces clash (tho if something is getting cut it will be the dueling).

Another thing is how you build 2 decks, one called the Fate Deck that is entirely attachments like weapons, armies, and spells and action cards (also the rings but those are their own thing). The other is your Dynasty deck with holdings (kind of like lands from MTG), events, and Personalities.
You start the game with 4 provinces that each get 1 card face down from your Dynasty deck and you flip them up at the start of your turn. Those are the cards you get to pay for and put into play. So there is a gated aspect to growing your table.
Each player also has a Stronghold that is like an ID card that gives them some base gold, starting honor, how strong your Provinces are in combat, and some extra bonus effect.

The core of the game is attacking the other players Provinces to kill them. When you attack you send Units (Personalities plus all their attached cards like Armies) to a Province and fight whoever the other player sends to defend. If you beat their army's total power plus the base power of the Province on their ID you kill the Province and it gets removed from the game. Meaning they are down 1 slot for buying cards as well. When they are out of Provinces they lose.

The other ways to win are the Rings (Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Void). Those go into the Fate deck and each have their own condition to be played. Earth can come out if you defend a Province with units and win, Void you need 2 or less Rings in play and to Discard your Fate Hand. Once they come into play you can "bow" them for a effect. Void lets you draw, Earth prevents people from moving your units to other battles, etc. If you get all 5 in play you win the game.

The last way to win (in the core rules at least) is lower a players Honor to -20. The main way to do this is with Courtier and political action cards. Ranging from things like forcing some one to run from a Combat to dishonor them then using actions targeting them to shame their family and lower their standing. It is a really tricky combo focused way to play that focuses on controlling battles to avoid having to really fight and slowly draining their honor down till you win.

If you want a full how to play for the current rules check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiqktGGafw

FFG is likely to rip the game apart and rebuild it like they did for Netrunner but it honestly kind of needs it at this point after the mess that has been the last few editions.

Edit: I forgot to add the flip side of dishonor victory. If you rise your family honor (by the ways of buying high personal honor people, winning in combat, or spells/actions) to 40 or more you win the game. So there are 4 base ways to win the game not 3.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 12, 2015

LordNat
May 16, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

FFG update on AGoT2E:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/16/winter-is-coming-1/

Production issues, release is mid-October

Well that is what happens when you print stuff in china. If it gets state side and something is wrong you have to do the much longer shipping cycle again.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I think if any current LCG is going to get the ax it's Star Wars. FFG has never manged to keep a good release pattern with that game. Really what I think FFG needs to focus on right now in place of a new game is their organized play and ensuring L5R goes well.

I have been thinking about how I'd have them do Worlds. My idea is have it where the World Championship Tournaments are invite only where the top 4 of National Tournaments and the Winners of Regional get invited to the World Championship. Then at the Worlds Event have a "open" Wildcard tournament for the last X slots for the Championship. That way the top level players are already locked in and don't get burned out so the finals are a better watch and the middle rank players have a better shot at getting a chance in the Swiss rounds for a slot.
In the case of Netrunner I'd have the Wildcard event be Swiss only and the Championship be double elimination brackets only, also allow the Wildcard players change their deck after the Swiss. That allows more more interesting decks since they don't have to survive the Swiss rounds first.

In the case of L5R I am kind of hoping that FFG spends 2016 doing open development of the game with the community taking part in it. Release their design documents and Print & Play tests for people to report back on. Kind of like what
Wizards of the Coast did with 5th edition DnD with constant playtest releases and surveys/play report requests to help build a new game.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

While community engagement is good idea in principle, the problem with your example is that we ended up with D&D 5e at the end, a product that is a step back from the previous iteration in terms of design. That is, you get something that is so steeped in "tradition" that it becomes detrimental to it. You need designers that understand what made L5R good, yet also understand what made L5R bad, without tradition getting in the way of either decision. I've never seen design by committee work in any productive way, and I'd much rather have a lead designer with a specific vision of what they want the game to be. I'm legitimately interested in what they're going to do with L5R and how they're going to handle it, especially with this huge (2 year!) lead in to the product actually coming out.

Then comes the hard decision as to whether or not I'm doing too many LCGs...

That is a fair point. Mostly I am just worried that they are going to give L5R to Eric Lang (The guy behind Star Wars and Conquest) and he is going to use some kind of dumb Pod system like he always does. I feel that if he lead the team that fan interaction might waylay some of his odd design habits. But that said I am not sure he is even still in the LCG department so who knows what will happen.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Eric Lang isn't exactly a one trick pony either.

He does have weird design habits and makes over all kind of strange games.
I mean sure CoC and GoT 1.0 are great but he has mostly had a odd mishmash of gimmicky games since then. Dice Masters has been his biggest hit as of late.

IMO the best chance for L5R to be done right is having Nate French lead with Damon Stone helping out.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

tijag posted:

Unless they lose the license, they aren't going to stop making SW games with all the star wars movies coming out over the next 5 years.

I can see them ending the LCG and maybe releasing a simple version of it as a stand alone (like they have for Game of Thrones ) and just focusing on the miniature games. X-Wing is their big money maker right now anyways.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

yo what the gently caress?

Every time I play I'm blown away by the thematic implementation of mechanics with respect to the characters/locations/plots etc. Every card just makes sense with respect to the source material and it's what makes the game for me. Played Greyjoy last night and got a kick out of realizing Theon gets a bonus for attacking unopposed, because he's a cowardly little poo poo.

IMO that is one of it's flaws. It's theme is entirely dependent on you knowing the lore of the associated material. It feels more like a add on product then something that can express it's theme stand alone.

Going in if you know nothing about A Song of Ice and Fire you have a bunch of unexplained interactions and themes in factions that are not really defined. I find that kind of disappointing since they do such a great job of expression theme in the other LCGs.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Is an OCTGN plugin for AH being developed?

Looks like yes.
https://github.com/GeckoTH/arkham-horror

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Lead designer Nate French, who I think also did Conquest (:rip:) and Game of Thrones.

Nate is who I wanted from day one so I am insanely happy. He did Arkham Horror as well, one of the best solo card games ever made IMO.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

As someone who knows next to nothing about Legend of the Five Rings, why should I be excited about the upcoming LCG? For reference, I find the GoT LCG and its fluff boring as all hell, and I really, really love the Arkham Horror LCG and its design and theme integration so far while simultaneously being pretty lukewarm on the Cthulhu mythos itself.

I ask because I am genuinely curious and may be interested in getting in on the ground floor of a card game with a competitive scene.

Really hard to say at this point since we know nothing of the new game. Most of the hype around it is centered on the history of the game and it's setting.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Fading for anyone unfamiliar is a M:TG term that has a card enter play with X counters on it, each turn 1 is removed, when the last one is removed the unit leaves play.

That could certainly be pretty polarizing. I'm not sure how well the mechanic of someone entering and leaving play a few turns later fits the theme.

I guess I'll hold my breath while I wait for more information. What you're talking about hasn't shown up on any of the boards I'm looking at (Discord, L5R FB, Reddit). If it's posted on one of the clan forums, let me know.

Only way I can see this fitting at all is having the game rounds be themed as chunks of years and having your active personalities age and be replaced by the next generation as time goes.

I can't really see them doing this so as it'd make for tiny windows of opportunity you'd need to hit as you'd have a constantly degrading board state.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
FFG will be hosting an AMA on Reddit Thursday with a few of the people from the L5R team.
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/854432273273409536

Tomorrow we will be getting the first look at the game as the marking storm is set to start.

Lets get the hype rolling!

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I'm excited but I don't have anyone to play with so it doesn't really matter.

I am sure there will be some kind of Ringteki.net up within days of Gencon.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

Holy poo poo the Fading dude was not lying... WTF FFG

LordNat
May 16, 2009
It does not even seem like the same game honestly.
I am entirely ok with that but just shocking how much they changed.

At first glance it the skill level seems insanely high. Floating resources turn to turn, knowing how much to over buy guys for, etc.
A lot of games are going to come down to a fate counter being used to saved.

Honestly nothing to far feels bad about the reveal so I am even more hype.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I was surprised that one of the Ring effects didn't add a fate to a character. How many cards that you saw were able to do that. It seems like there's multiple ways of removing fate, but how many are there to add it beyond overspending on their initial purchase?

I think they really want to prevent those long turns of just doing nothing till someone blinks. L5R was really bad for that.

I like the idea of Fading to deal with that but I will have to see how it works in action.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

They said that L5R is their largest print run, but I'd bet my non-existent pet that people are still going to get shorted and there's going to be a lack of supply.

Calling it now. Won't go on sale till Words, limit one per person. No limit on the decks, Gencon goers have massive advantage.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Team Covenant posted a interview with the main devs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_IZqqcxxI

About half way in, they seem to have a good idea of what they want from the game at least.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Taking a step back from the hype and my excitement for the game and mechanics, and bearing in mind I have no connection to or nostalgia​ for the setting, one thing that does give me pause is the theme. It's pretty Orientalist, and unless I missed something, being headed up by a bunch of white dudes makes this more problematic.

Obviously none of us knows what direction FFG is going to take the game and theme, and they've shown they can be fairly inclusive and sensitive in Netrunner, and from what I've read of both old and new L5R, it's low on the sexism scale. That said, as much as I really want to be on-board with the theme, it makes me uneasy.

More specifically, I wouldn't want a casual observer walking by a game to look at it and feel extremely uncomfortable/alienated/objectified/othered because of the theme, because that sucks and excludes people in what should be a safe, comfortable social setting. This is a long-standing problem in boardgaming in general, and I think we've come a long way (and have much longer to go), but I can't shake the feeling that reviving L5R is, at best, maintaining the status quo, or at worst, taking a step backwards.

I don't really know how to approach it, but I know a good metric for this sort of thing is, "if you feel the need to ask, then you probably shouldn't go through with it."

Is this a real post or just concern trolling? I have never seen this "long standing problem" you are talking about.

V: Ok concern trolling got it.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2017

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Right, I totally agree! Which is where a lot of my conflict arises. I want to like the theme and setting because there's a part of me that is probably a closet weeb, but if I speak with my wallet and support something that is problematic, or consume someone else's culture (creepy), I'm just feeding into the issue and it never improves.

That's basically what appropriation is, though. At best it's benign borrowing from another culture that is not one's own, at worst it's objectification and fetishizing something "exotic."

Part of the reason I'm a bit sensitive to it at the moment is because I've been evaluating someone's old AD&D collection, which includes these noteworthy gems. Those gazetteers are... rough.

Ok I can respect that those are your real views and you are just not trolling at this point. But this is not the place to talk about it.

On a note that is relevant someone posted a summery of the AMA today.
https://www.reddit.com/r/l5r/comments/66iul3/ama_with_the_lcg_devs_and_story_team_head_going/

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I'd like to congratulate LordNat for becoming a moderator. Under his sterling guidance I'm sure we'll learn what parts of living card games are okay to discuss in the living card games thread.

Better to talk about the game than spend hours trying to make white people feel bad for enjoying things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

If I played any hobby games competitively I would have playmats/sleeves/custom stuff of the male characters in skimpy clothes with raging boners just to make the loving nerdlords uncomfortable as gently caress. I'm a 6'3" dude with a big beard too btw, which would probably make it even better.

Been done, always funny as hell.