Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lawen posted:

How are you guys storing all of your LotR stuff?

In ziplock bags in a a box. The two current decks that have been made a a bag each. The remaining player cards sorted by colour then into one big deck in a bag, or two if they don't all fit. Quest and scenario cards sorted by their symbols and then put together into bags. I don't sort by where they came from (e.g. Core, OHUH or OtDS). Tokens are each in a bag each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or have a tactics deck coupled with Spirit deck, if you're going single sphere. Gimli with citadel pate vs. the Hill Troll is a good strategy. And if you don't get that, you might have a feint or two to use while you kill it.
Dunhere is great for the second phase, though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I got around to dual decking LOTR today. I had a Tactics/Spirit deck (Legolas, Bard, Eowyn) and a Leadership/Lore deck (Aragorn, Theodred, Denethor) made up from a single Core and the two Hobbit sagas. These decks I made some time ago with my GF when I managed to convice her to give the game a second shot. That was months ago, and we finished the first Core quest only and haven't revisited.
I got through the three core quests without any problems. Probably a bit of luck.
Mirkwood: Got an Ungoliant spawn early but managed to kill it. Got the end where I stayed on the path and everything went smooth.
Anduin: Ganged up on the troll and took advantage of the -2 defense when Bard does a Ranged attack. Got through the river offing pretty much everything as I went and then just cleaned up at the landing. Easy peasy.
Dol Guldur: Theodred got captured, which was probably the best case scenario. Worked my way through the first part easy enough. Took the Map with Eowyn which seems about the best option for the first objective. Once Theodred got freed, I optionally engaged the Nazgul and killed it within two turns and then it was just a case of slowly dealing at whatever pace I felt like. Job done.

Now the Hobbit ones have always given me trouble. I have in the past used the recommended thematic decks, and have only managed to limp through Over Hill and Under Hill. I keep the same decks and started with the trolls. I got pretty much stomped. Really bad draws got my threat up above the 38 - so many doomeds and when revealed threat bonuses, then the crows bringing them back to hit me again. This was easily enough to force me to engage all three trolls when I got to the second quest card, and I didn't have the Troll Camp out so I couldn't do anything about the sacks. Game over.
I gave it a second shot, and managed to get to the Trolls without having my threat high enough to force engagement with more than one troll. I also had the Beorn ally out and a Gandalf core in hand. I opted to engage two trolls anyway - leaving William for later. Used Beorns ability to get an easy 6 damage on the troll that prevents multiple attackers, then used Gandalf to add 4 more damage the next round and then finish him off early in the combat phase leaving Bert open to being mobbed down. This got me the Troll Purse too. Now I had a net in hand too and just kept William under wraps while waiting to work to getting the troll key and exploring the Troll cave. Threat got a little dicey, and I ended up on 48 on both meters when I finally had the Cave in the victory display. Then it was just finishing up the combat phase and collecting my treasure.
Tomorrow I'll see how far I can get through the rest.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well I only spent a little bit of time on the next two OHUH scenarios. I had a lot of trouble with the Misty Mountains Grim due to massive chain reactions with Galloping Boulders and Suspicious Crows. I had to luck out to get past that part unscathed, and then mopped up easily.
Dungeons dark and Caverns Dim I only got one shot at. Even though I managed to pass the Riddle part, as soon as I did I got two of the "Each layer find a creature card in the deck/discard and put it into play engaged with you" treachery cards in a row, which have surge due to the quest card.

There are so many little things that just cause chain reactions in these two scenarios that it is pretty tough to deal with it sometimes.
I guess thematically - There wre uncontrollable landslides that killed the characters, or once they excaped the goblin caverns and regrouped, they got swarmed.
But as for gameplay, I don't know what I can do to mitigate these problems. I have half as much trouble with Dol Guldur than I have with any of the three OHUH quests - on average. Sometimes I seem to get a breezy run, but usually it's a lot of pain and knowing I've lost before I've started.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Update on my dual decking Over Hill and Under Hill.

I tried again to do Dungeons Deep and Caverns Dim scenario, or the last one with the Gollum riddles. It took a lot of attempts but I got it down without any changes to my decks. Mostly from bad riddle draws, or guesses, but not always. I had one go at it where I got the riddles down easily and then failed with the rest of my team. And one where I had the riddles finished waiting for a few more quest tokens on the main quest - but drew a "you have to do the riddle" card and failed and bilbo died.
I think I only got through to the third quest card once this time, and that was enough. Barely. It's still pretty rough once you get out because of the treachery cards having surge. I ended up with 3 enemies on each of my "players" after getting to the third quest and drawing all the required cards - up from 1 on one of the players. I had most of my characters exhausted and ended up losing Eowyn - a trade off from allowing my to double attack with a powered up Legolas to get 6 quest tokens all up. Then I had no choice to go all in for the questing - using Faramir's action on the player with lots of allies, to get over the line. I have a total willpower of 23 in for that quest vs 10 enemy threat - lucky I had the quest tokens from before to get the 16 required for the quest.
Basically we just ran for it - thematically. Or saved by Eagles. Whatever.

Some things are a bit odd to me, however. I get that as soon as a quest card's requirements are met, you interrupt the game phase to move to the next quest then continue. So for this scenario, if you've already completed the quest 1 with tokens, and you need to compelte the riddle quest card you end up switching quest cards during the staging part of the quest phase. So you go from "draw 2 quest cards per player during staging" to "When revealed draw 1 card per player, and treachery cards get surge" which could be really tough if you mess it up. Say forinstabnce you complete the riddle quest on the last card of the 4 you draw in a two player game, then you have to draw two more for Quest 3B, with the potential for a few surges. That's a minimum of 6 without any surge effects. The swap to quest 3B has killed me before, especially getting the treachery where you have to add creatures engaged to you (and it still surges). It's a big leap and you have to rely on luck to even get that far (unless you stack your deck).

This marks the second time I've managed to complete OHUH saga box. First time was with the recommended thematic decks. Now for On the Doorstep - the thematic decks could only get through Flies and Spiders only to get destroyed by Smaug end on end.

Edit: My GF got me the Black Riders box, so now I can have fun with that when I get through OtD - and I can guilt her to play with me again. Haha.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 25, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

While I've managed to beat Flies and Spiders with my current ad hoc decks. I did have some problems with getting overrun on the staging area. But I guess it's all about speed on the Bilbo stage.
Then it's the Lonely Mountain. Which I've never beaten - not with the thematic decks and I can't do it with the current decks I've been messing with. They probably need to be changed around but I have keep them as is just to see how far I could get through each box I have.

I was just getting wrecked. So I checked the easy mode rules to maybe make it possible. Still got wrecked. I then figured I needed to find the lower bounds on how easy I need to make it before I could win. I figured I'd work my way up from the easiest change I could think of - I skipped the staging part of the quest. This was mainly to see if I could even deal with the threat and quest requirements of the lonely mountain to get the treasure out. At worst, it was going to be 10 in this test. I managed to beat it fairly easily. And I wonder how much the staging would affect that result. Would it have been pretty much the same? Next step up I'll stage 1 card instead of 1 per player.

What tactics do you use for playing it properly? Because I can't get around this one with what I've been doing. My main problems are: achieving the required willpower to overcome the ever rising threat from the lonely mountain as you burgle - anyone questing needa a minimum of 2 to even assist because of Smaug's X threat value (X being the number of non-burglar characters questing); And then there's the need to have a lot of allies ready to die for the cause.
I've found that having Faramir around is basically vital to helping out with the first part.

One other problem is running out of cards due to burgle discards or treachery discards.

Edit: Update - I did the Battle of Five Armies on regular with an unchanged deck and beat it okay. Took two attempts and beat it and it seemed like it was about even most of the way. First attempt I got a lot of progress on the quests in the first few rounds, then but something happened (I forget what exactly) and I just coulden't make it to the 5th quest card before getting swamped by orcs. I had 2 of the quests done by then as well, but just couldn't get the the siege done. Second time The siege was the last one again, but I managed to push it over while keeping most of everything clear. The final round where I managed to kill Bolg was a a bit dicey. If I hadn't of finished it I feel like I might not have made it past the next round. Definitely much easier than the Lonely Mountain.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 26, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've gotten my first adventure pack(s). While I have gotten the Saga expansions I hadn't gotten any of the packs. Now I have The Hunt for Gollum, being the first of the cycle, and the Dead Marshs, for the fast hitch. Bonus being now I have Boromir and have the entire fellowship in one way or another, and old Bilbo. I'll be interested in getting the rest of the mirkwood cycle, but the next expansions will require me to start getting regular play.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does anyone play LOTR on OCTGN?

I gave it a shot the other day, and it wasn't quite as automated as I was expecting, but I guess it's analogous to live play - but you can build decks with all the packs so you try stuff before you buy. It's got some semi-automation for either telling you phases you're on and what you should be doing, and resfreshing and resources for new rounds. I was expecting it to figure out damage, quest sucess /failure etc automatically. It would have even been nice to automatically know what are legal moves (this would have been helpful with some grey areas in some cards which I can't think of off the top of my head). But, you can easily get a game going and just do it all manually like you would in real life anyway.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It was my initiaal reaction, but after spending a while playing I can see how much of a pain in the arse it would be for some of the cards - especially the coding part. I turn on phase management, put a done button there and just play through the round and forget to update the phase anyway. So I keep clicking through and think "yep done that, and that, and those".
And I looked up how to play two-handed: Open two instances and start a game on one, and on the other join unlisted and you should be in your own game. From there, instead of flipping between the two OCTGN's to play, choose one to be the primary and take control of the other players deck, and change visibility of their hand. You'll need to take control of a few other things, but if you ever can't do what you want, just right click and take control. You'll have to load the seccond player deck using the ssecond instance though.
I tested out some Hobbit thematic decks - overly thematic decks - such that there are no characters but the dwarven company and Gandalf. Tested them on passage through mirkwood to see if they were broken, I made it through with each singularly and two handed was really easy. But they are very fragile decks and require a good starting hand or you are going to lose. I tried two handed on the Hobbit trolls, and it was a disaster since I didn't get the hands I needed. I have noticed some flaws with the decks and I need to rearrange some elements.
For me, that's probably what OCTGN is good fior, testing decks easier.

My name is fairly predictable.

Edit: I shuffled some things around and "We must away ere break of day" was easier, but I couldn't get the treasure because of a bad treachery card making me lose all my resources on bilbo :angry: Not sure if it's because of the change up or because of the hands. Honestly though, one hand had only one dwarf ally the whole time, and 1 gandalf. The other manged to get out all of it's dwarves and two gandalfs. I aklso noticed afterwards I only had 1 A test of Will - which probably didn't help with the lose of resources.
Problem with this deck is that it's pretty tough to actually kill the trolls and get the purse. I do have dwarven axes in there, but that leaves my maximum atk at 7 if I can get both out on Thorin - could two shot Tom if I have all the cards I need, but not really reliable. Though I should probably have used Bofur to search for the axes.
Overall they seemed to work better though.

Edit 2: I tried it again and got about 1 turn from victory with the troll cave awaiting to be travelled as the active location and the encounter deck incredibly thin, but with 6 sacks out, and one on Bilbo. Got a shadow card that dealt 4 damage to sacked characters and had zero resources for either the cards self cancel with Baggins resources, or for Balin's effect. I also discarded all the troll camp's so I couldn't remove sacks regardless. If I had gotten a different shadow card, I would have got the treasure and the eencounter deck would have run out when dealing shadow cards.

Edit 3: I've completed the OHUH box using my thematic decks (including getting the troll treasure) - I changed up the player cards to give me an edge with the riddles though. I've used only the allies from the dwarven company so it's very light on allies, and I used mainly cards from the core box and the Hobbit saga boxes and only in the numbers available in the boxes. I added in some of the blackrider/huntforgollum/deadmarshes cards to make dcks heavy in events of a single sphere or of low cost. I tried it without and I failed every riddle - with the change I didn't fail any. Luck and probability but an edge is an edge.
Now to see if I can manage to finally take back erebor with only the dwarves. If I manage that, then I can entertain the idea of including other allies for the battle of five armies.

Edit 4th and final: Ok, it's taken what seems like a year but I have finished the Hobbit saga dual-decking with thematic decks. The lonely mountain was easier than I expected but that was lucky. And then I added in extra allies for the battle of five armies (to include the human/elf/beorn but I forgot to add the eagles I had) and managed to get it done. Now to stop gimping my decks by sticking to the theme.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 26, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

So how would you set up the hero's if you were going to make three decks of the Fellowship? The most "thematic" setup, in my mind, would be Frodo/Sam/Gandalf, Merry/Pippin/Boromir, Aragon/Gimli/Legolas, though I don't know how the decks would work out.

Man, knowing this, I wonder how a "Solo Gandalf" deck would work, just using secrecy, all these attachments, and his ability.

If you're playing through the Saga you won't be able to use Frodo, as he'll be the ringbearer. Thematically, you might argue for the above splits, but in cases where the fellowship is all together I wouldn't worry about theme for how they are divided, probably more about utility.
For Theme: For Black Riders, you use Sam/Merry/Pippin with Frodo as the ringbearer for the first quest, then in Bree you can throw in Aragorn for one of the hobbits (or do a 4 hero deck or 2x2 hero decks) and then keep them until Rivendell. Add Fatty to the first quest if you're going the book route rather than the movie route, and Glorfindel after Weathertop.

Aside: The game seems to sit in between the books and the movies, as it draws on from the imagery of the movies but with the full set of characters. For example, the race to the ferry in the Black Riders is a movie thing, but Bill Ferny in Bree is a book thing.

Then you get to use everyone! Till after you get out of Moria. Discard Gandalf. Then you get to Amon Hen, and after that you discard Boromir and go to single decks for a while. Sam/Frodo and maybe Gollum as a hero on oneside of the Anduin, Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli in Rohan, and Merry/Pippin and hopefully Treebeard in Fangorn. Gandalf would be back, but he wouldn't do anything you would be doing in the game till the Battle of Pelennor fields. Which would let you have Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, Merry/Eowyn/Theoden, Pippin/Denethor/Gandalf. Add in Prince Imrahil if you like too. Continue on to the Black Gate. Meanwhile Sam/Frodo get to have Faramir for Osgiliath, then it's back to having Gollum or no one.

As for Allies, you'd be very thin on them for the most part till much later. Maybe a named character every once in a while. Bill the Pony [till Moria starts], Farmer Maggot [Shire], Barliman Butterbur [Bree], Arwen [Race to Rivendell]. That's it for the Fellowship. Two Towers you can have the Rohirrrim with Aragorn and co., maybe get some Ents for Fangorn if there's a quest there. Faramir with Sam and Frodo if he's not a hero. Then you get Undead allies, Rohirrim, Gondor characters till the end.
If you go themtically with attachments and events (due to the names or theme of an event card) you'll have a very tough time.

Playing thematically is tough, but doable. A good challenge. I did manage to do the Hobbit using only Thorin and his company for Heores/Allies, and added in humans and elves to help with the Battle of five armies. I will probably play the LOTR saga the same way, and I have done the first quest of the Black riders using Sam/Merry/Pippin. I haven't figured out what to do for Bree with adding Aragorn - I did do with adding Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas so I had two full decks. But I will have to do it with one deck at some point.

Now for Utility:
Merry and Pippin work best with all hobbits, so you might want to have them with Sam or Fatty. Fatty at least let's you have a Hobbit deck with the Hobbit pipes. I would probably do a Hobbit centric deck with Merry/Pippin/Fatty if I can get that to work.
An Aragorn/Sam/Boromir (DeadMarshes) would be a readying deck if I want to go that route, leaving Gandalf/Legolas/Gimli. Not sure if I want to go that route, however, and maybe Sam/Boromir/Gandalf and Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli.
These are with the core Aragorn. Using the lore Aragorn wouldn't change too much for me as far as how the heroes split. But there's likely to be more heroes than just Gandalf, so we might get some other versions of the fellowship to use and then I can rethink.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Passage through Mirkwood may start with a Spider out, but you also have the Old Forest Path, so you can ready a hero when you travel to it in the first round. So you can send in one mroe hero than you would normally be comfortable with. For instance, if you used Eowyn Aragorn and Theodred, you could send in everyone so that you have a good questing strength, then pay a resource with Aragorn and ready him, then travel to the Old Forest Road and ready Theodred. If you drew a location, no real threat. If you drew a treachery, hopefully it isn't too bad. And if you drew an enemy, you should be able to either block both or take one undefended and still be able to attack. And that's without any other allies or events you might have. Or if your threat level is low enough to not auto-engage both enemies.
You should persevere with the deck you built.

But if you want to play around with with single spehere decks: single-spehere Spirit or Leadership, (Lore maybe), can do passage through Mirkwood usually. Solo Tactics is tough because you don't have enough willpower to deal with normal questing and you end up relying on Legolas + Blades of Gondolian to get quest tokens.

alternatively, play two handed.

I recently introduced a friend of mine to LOTR. I gave him my all my cards (Core, Hunt for Gollum, Dead Marshes, OHUH, OtD, BR) and said "Pick three heroes - best to only pick two spheres - then pick atleast 50 cards". He went with a dwarf deck of Thorin, Bombur and Gloin. I went with Bard, Beorn and Eowyn. We both made the absent minded mistake of adding Ally versions of our heroes. He later swapped out Gloin for Ori. First the did Passage through Mirkwood. We trounced it fairly easily - and my friend was dissappointed that when he finally had everything good out, we had strolled out of the Forest. We then did the Journey down the Anduin. we started out okay, taking our time to take out the Troll, and having to kill a lot of enemies to finally make it into the raft. We kept a fairly clear staging area until we landed ashore. My threat level was a bit too high, and I managed to do a little to clear out three enemies before my threat hit 50 and I was out. My friend cleared out the remaining enemies the turn after and continued onto Lorien.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or they have to be Leadership/X and you need a Steward of Gondor.

What about dual spehere decks with other APs/expansions, but no Song of X cards?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not many player.cards in The Road Darkens, huh. Must be some strong cards.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

In LOTR, I've managged beat the Black Riders box for the first time, and with themtic-ish decks and in campaign mode to boot. I have previously finished the first two scenarios with the suggested deck, but hace had trouble trying to run two-handed.
I went with a Sam/Merry/Pippin and an Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas set of decks. With the first deck relying heavily on having spare willpower to throw around for hide tests, it was a rough start. It took maybe 2 or 3 tries to get it - with one of the failed attempts not even getting past th first quest card despite killing all the nazgul easily enough. But I perservered and got through it, eventually, with a bit of thanks to lucky draws no doubt.
I took "The Ring draws them" and the elf boon card (oh god I fell bad for forgetting his name).
The rest was actually fairly easy considering now Tactics had more kills to make. I got through to Rivendell one-shotting the next two scenarios. A buffed up Gimli and a Legolas/Merry combo was good for both kills and bonus quest tokens. Sam became a tireless ranger and Aragorn a noble hero. And in going from Weathertop to Rivendell I only picked up one burden card, and didn't explore the Bruinen opting to kill all the nazgul myself.
All in all it's looking good for my decks and I am ready to get the Road Darkens and continue my journey. Then go back and try with different heroes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Do you mind posting your Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas deck? I've been thinking of making one myself but I can't even decide which Aragorn to use let alone what else to put in the deck.

I used the leadership Aragorn, and I only worked with cards from the.core, hunt for.gollum, dead marshes, Over hill and.Underill, On the doorstep and the black riders. The deck mostly focused on handling the fighting side while the hobbits were more for questing.

Cards numbers for some are approximate because I don't have the deck on hand, and I forget how many copies come in the core for some cards. These were made specifically for the first encounter, which has very few enemies and you're supposed to focus on willpower for hiding. I went for went for mainly direct damage which is good against high defense enemies, and some other defensive stuff in case I failed a hide test with a black rider around. Faramir and Celebrian stone were to help with willpower. It's tough to go extremely thematic because otherwise you'd have no ally cards - or a second deck to play two-handed either. I may one day make a truly thematic deck for it and see how I go, in a similar fashion to how I did the Hobbit saga. But then again, in the Hobbit you could get all 15 companions out using two decks.

The decks are a little fat, though.

Total Cards: (61)

Hero: (3)
1x Aragorn (Core Set)
1x Gimli (Core Set)
1x Legolas (Core Set)

Ally: (19)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
2x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
2x Silverlode Archer (Core Set)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
3x Vassal of the Windlord (The Dead Marshes)
3x Winged Guardian (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
1x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)

Attachment: (19)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
2x Blade of Gondolin (Core Set)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Citadel Plate (Core Set)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set)
2x Great Yew Bow (On the Doorstep)
1x Horn of Gondor (Core Set)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
3x Song of Kings (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Song of Battle (The Dead Marshes)

Event: (23)
2x Blade Mastery (Core Set)
2x Common Cause (Core Set)
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set)
3x Goblin-cleaver (Over Hill and Under Hill)
1x Grim Resolve (Core Set)
1x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Rain of Arrows (Core Set)
1x Swift Strike (Core Set)
3x The Eagles Are Coming! (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

There are some really good cards from leadership and tactics which aren't here because they went into the hobbit deck. with an approximation here again:

Total Cards: (57)

Hero: (3)
1x Merry (The Black Riders)
1x Pippin (The Black Riders)
1x Sam Gamgee (The Black Riders)

Ally: (14)
3x Barliman Butterbur (The Black Riders)
3x Bill the Pony (The Black Riders)
3x Farmer Maggot (The Black Riders)
2x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
1x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)

Attachment: (22)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
3x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Dagger of Westernesse (The Black Riders)
2x Dunedain Cache (The Dead Marshes)
3x Dunedain Mark (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Fast Hitch (The Dead Marshes)
3x Hobbit Cloak (The Black Riders)
2x Protector of Lorien (Core Set)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set)

Event: (21)
3x Campfire Tales (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Halfling Determination (The Black Riders)
3x Lore of Imladris (Core Set)
2x Lorien's Wealth (Core Set)
2x Radagast's Cunning (Core Set)
2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
3x Take No Notice (The Black Riders)
3x Frodo's Intuition (The Black Riders)

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You can use the pre-made decks for the Anduin at least. Can't remember if I did for Dol Guldur.

For the Hill Troll, you probably need a good starting hand, something like a feint or a forest snare. Citadel Plate on Gimli is also a good way to go. Maybe a Gandalf. Stall a turn or two then hopefully smash it down with a powerful Gimli or a few allies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I thought knife in the dark wasn't that bad. Maybe because I tend to play two handed, so when it gets to end and you have a bunch of Nazgul, the burden is spread.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah I think I just let my threat rise to 38 as quickly as possible so I could kill him.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Winning The Passage of Anduin - Killing the Hill Troll:

If tactics: get some feints. Citadel plate on Gimli, take a hit, smash back hard.
If Lore: Forest Snare.
If Spirit: Keep threat low till you have more dudes up. Specifically reducing threat.
If Leadership: Get allies up asap. Don't think I've gotten past it with pure leadership. Maybe sneak attack with Gandalf.
All: Gandalfs.

Stall as much as possible till you have the tools you need.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you can make 5 workable decks, just try it a few times starting in Passage from Mirkwood. The problem is going to be the 5 encounter cards. Locations are hard to deal with when you have a lot, since you can only travel to one at a time - the trick here is to have a lot of northern trackers I guess or the like. Treachery cards can also ruin your day if they target more players they can effectively become a lot worse. Enemies are the easy cards generally since each player can deal with "their" one if you draw a lot of them. Some burdens get divided and are easier to handle with more players - e.g. the kidnapped player in the dol guldur quest, or sacks against the trolls in the hobbit. Some stuff is way worse with more players and a real pain, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Experiment I guess.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd hope they keep the saga expansions closer to the book considering they started it like that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How would you even play the saga expansions like that?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Max posted:

Man, the Hobbit punishes me more than any other group of quests.

Finishing the hobbit thematically, ie only the dwarven company for allies and heroes, was really tough and required so so many restarts from a "welp, I'm screwed" situation.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What sphere were you using?

Try it with the basic spirit deck. If you can't make it through with that, then try to modify things. Maybe Leadership too.
Know the encounter decks and play to that. The passage through mirkwood is rather balanced with not too much of any one thing, you just need to make sure you're questing well enough to clear a location each time if possible. If you manage to clear up the location with your questing and you killed any engaged enemies last round, then you can keep the staging area clear. With more than 1 player, your draw goes up to 2, and then if you draw 2 locations, then they start to add up.

Ways of clearing landlock: Basically in the core decks you need the Northern Tracker from the spirit deck. You get 2 in the deck, so if you have both then land locking won't be a problem. Whenever you quest with a northern tracker, place a progress token on each location in the staging area.
There are cards like snowborn scout which adds one progress token hen it enters play, or in the APs there others you can tap put a progress every turn. but they are either not as reliable or are less effective.

The CORE sets have some major flaws for single play. Notably the tactics deck as it has very low willpower and works best when paired with a a high willpower deck, like the Spirit deck. Leadership is generally okay I think with willpower and fighting stuff too. Lore can't deal with enemies directly that well from what I remember, and it's not high on willpower either.
The APs help to resolve the weaknesses of the core decks so you can get some decent willpower in tactics. But all the core tactics allies have 0 willpower except for beorn i think.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Azran posted:

Some people are really annoyed about having to defend THEN attack.

It's lame of those people. It would take out a lot of the challenge if you could attack first. You'd remove a third of the planning. No more having to earmark certain characters to defend or to plan if you're going to leave an attack undefended since you can take the hit. No more risk.

Maybe FFG can add a keyword for certain characters to be able to attack before the enemies, something like an ambush keyword so that scout like characters can get an attack in first, but they can only attack either alone or with other characters with the keyword. It would change the gameplay for decks built around it, but if you make those characters limited in their abilities, like attacks of 1 or 2, then they won't kill anything big and bad prior to the defend phase, and it might add some room for using Gondorian spearmen to finish them off, or for other small instant damage event cards.

Attacking first also means that the event card that lets you make an immediate attack with a single character is pointless.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

goodness posted:

I played the tactics deck so that was probably the whole problem. Will check back in after I try the others?

Tactics is great so long as someone else handles the questing. Everyone seems to go for it first. I know I did.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you're playing solo, you really should build your own decks that aren't mono-sphere. The tools you need to be successful in that game are spread amongst the four spheres. Tactics is really bad at questing on its own.

If you feel you're too new at it to build your own decks, I think the Leadership starter is probably the best solo? I don't know.

I think it's possible to beat passage through mirkwood with all the starter decks but tactics. Spirit can make it through the journey down the anduin solo. I think I managed the journey with lore as well, but I forget.
It's probaby best to play the starter decks a multitude of ways first to get a feel for everything. Play solo with each deck a few times on the passage through mirkwood just to see their strengths and weaknesses. Then play multi-handed to to see how things work well together and what type of play you prefer.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seemed like it was more of an unusual occurrence. Gondolian blade and Gandalf, and even the insta-attack card were pretty vital in not getting overwhelmed and were clutch cards, without any of them the game would have gone south quicker. It does highlight the reliance on the core tactics on Legolas for quest tokens, and the importance of clearing the staging area.
Core Tactics feels like it needs a perfect storm to solo with. While other decks you feel more like you can have more varied draws and still be on top of everything.

But yeah, guess it's not impossible.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Failing badly is the best way to learn! It's how I teach Space Alert.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I just accept that card availability of stronger cards is part of the difficulty :colbert:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've always played it as being punished by the non active ones. I would like to know if it's easier than I thought.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, figured. When you're got an ambiguous case, the worst option for you is the correct option rule-wise.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No counters.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I spent time doing some Local OCTGN with LOTR. Haven't used it for a while and my computer started hating the local server host since the last time I used it. Got it working eventually. Made the suggested decks on the back of the Road Darkens, and prepared to start a campaign. I didn't get very far. My plans all fell apart pretty eraly when the first rider got sent back to the staging area when I was going to kill it, then I drew out more Riders from treacheries and straight out draws. I think I even got the burden where everything engages the first player. So I got stomped in 3 or 4 rounds.

Using the recommended Black Riders deck never seems to have these problems.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does Gandalf's Staff allow you to discard a shadow card after it has been revealed so as to cancel it, or do you have to discard before the reveal?

In related news, I managed to beat the first of the black Riders scenarios using the Road Darkens suggested decks. The above question doesn't affect the outcome, since I only really ever had one rider at a time. Just wondering for if it ever comes up.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PJOmega posted:

If we complete a quest during the combat step (from Legolas (Core)'s ability) and the next step would flip more cards than there are left in the encounter deck, do we shuffle the discard back?

Only shuffle the Encounter Discard pile back into the Encounter deck during the Quest phase. If you deck out at any other time, lucky you.
Except if a card effect specifically tells you to.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Since when have the Treason of Saruman card spoilers been out?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I just noticed them when doing deck building on cardgamedb then realised there was a filter for the set. Welp, I need to buy more cards. I have barely touched anything that isn't the Sagas beyond the core, only picking up Dead Marshes for a fast hitch and the hunt for gollum just because. In the last three days I have bought or put in orders for the rest of the Mirkwood cycle and Khazadum/dwarrowdelf. Now I need to do sneak ahead in the cycles to get Celebrimbor's secret and The Antlered crown for some Ents.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, dual sphere. The one with 2 heroes of a sphere gets 3 of every card if possible of that sphere, then gets the excess of of the other sphere. If you want to make them easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Should I sleeve my cards? Should I sleeve just player cards or everything including double sided cards (ie clear sleeves).