Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Living Card Games are designed to be as close to the "best of both worlds" of boardgames and CCGs as you can get. The core set makes a great "board game" experience, and offers tons of replay-ability if you don't want to deckbuild. The problem is they have to compromise in order to make that a reality... namely, one-ofs in the core set. Most LCGs are at such a point where 2x Cores are more than sufficient, and the diminishing returns on a 3rd are terrible. SW:TCG only needs 2 for complete playsets of every card.

The generally accepted advice is first buy a core, play it and see if you like it and want to dig deeper. If it gets it's dirty hooks in you (it will), pick up a second core in your shipment of far too many data/story/chapter/whatever packs that are already shipping from CSI.

FFG has me buying monthly packs for Netrunner and Star Wars. I'm slowly catching up with LOTR, and I have a "balanced boardgame" setup for AGoT.

:homebrew: is an apt emoticon for what FFG does to me. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I kickstarted something similar to that with Acrylic dividers. I'm pretty excited to get mine!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

godDAMMIT. I don't need another reason to give FFG any more of my money for card games I have to commute 2+ hours to play. :negative:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There is always the chance it could blow. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

CoC and Warhammer LCG never really interested me/looked fun, so I guess there's a chance I may just avoid it on principle.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Warhammer: Invasion, myself; it's the only LCG that I've bought more than the core set for, so far.

What about it turns you off? I've noticed that it seems to get no discussion in this thread.

I dunno if the Fantasy setting just doesn't grab me, or if watching it played at Worlds just turned me off. Pardon the Vassal-ism, but it just doesn't look "fun" next to Netrunner or Star Wars :shrug:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nibble posted:

It does work the other way around though, right? Like Legolas says to put tokens on the current quest, but if there's an active location they go there instead.

Correct.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried Easy mode? Before you completely shatter the game experience, I'd try this first.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Nooooo :negative:

Seconding LordNat, more multiplayer LCGs would be great, especially if it was designed with MP in mind. Also like Netrunner, I had heard all about Jyhad/VTES but never played it myself, so I wanted to know what the hype was. I mean, it technically doesn't have to take place in the WoD right? They can just slap on some theme to it (Descent? Because why not), modernize the mechanics, and call it a day.

Sigh.

reading that thread and the quickness of FFGs response, they may be repurposing the game and mechanics to fit a different theme so they don't have to worry about Licensing like they currently do with Netrunner and WOTC. I hear WoD is a nightmare to deal with.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4704

It's offical! 40k LCG.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I saw the alliance thing and assumed that tyranids stand alone. It would make for ease of expansion and make some sense, at least, more sense than having dark eldar over 'nids. The alliance thing still looks goofy as hell, though.

As someone who never played the Warhammer Fantasy LCG, how does this compare?

I haven't played it either, but I've watched the tutorial :v:

That being said, it looks like a weird hybrid of SW:LCG and Bloodbowl: Team Manager with insane deckbuilding. FFG is starting to really love their dials, although it is an elegant solution to the "how the gently caress do you bluff placing 1+ card(s) in a position without being skeevy" problem. As it stands I think I'll pick up the core set because the card draw/resource gain mechanic for winning battles looks intriguing. No idea if I'll go deep like I am with ANR, SW:LCG and LoTR, but I'll give it a shot.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't remember if I read it here or on the FFG forums but someone said that for the LotR LCG, they end up announcing all the APs in the cycle before any of them are actually available. If this is true, do they release all the APs at once?

This is true for pretty much every LCG. We know months ahead of time some of the cards in each pack, and that's about it. Sadly, as stated above, we don't get them all at once.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, I just wanna make sure we're taking a step back in complexity. Perceived complexity, really - I think Netrunner's emphasis on properly reading the (rather complex) board state is somewhat stressful, emphasises skill difference and in effect makes her prone to tilting. I just want to make sure I'm heading into more typical "play dudes face-up and cast counterspell" territory.

I wouldn't go as far as saying AGoT is a step back in complexity. AGoT has action windows and crazy temporary card states (moribound) that, if played "correctly" make poo poo pretty hard to follow. LoTR is awesome since you aren't playing competitively, you can both work together on understanding the game state, while lamenting the fact that any card interaction or ability almost assuredly fucks you over.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The only hope I've got of getting earlier Expansions [Datapacks in Netrunner, etc] in the UK is through Amazon/Online, right?
None of my Local Gamestores stock anything but the most recent expansions, if even that.

It sounds like your FLGS are a bunch of Jerks, then.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

At the bottom of their FAQ and Tourney Rules update post, they snuck a little line in there:

FFG posted:

In closing, we would like to take a moment to comment upon a topic that is not addressed in this FAQ update: set rotation. We are aware that the size of the card pool, the number of products available, and the breadth of the game are growing increasingly problematic for our audience. For some, it is a barrier of entry that is discouraging to new players who are thinking of buying in or trying to get caught up with their collections. For others, it is a matter of increasing complexity and a sense of getting lost in the card pool. We bring this up now to let you, our player base, know that we are aware of these issues and are working toward a long-term solution that ensures the continuation of the A Game of Thrones: The Card Game experience for years to come. More information on this topic will be presented in November, at the 2014 FFG World Championship Weekend.

I got really interested as my first LCG when I got into the books, but the card pool was massive already. I have 2 Cores, and all of the big boxes, but they hadn't even revised or reprinted the first 2 cycles at that point and the packs with the Black/White Ravens were 80+ dollars on ebay thanks to scalpers. :smith:

Curious to see their solution, as I'm sure if it works we have that to look forward to Netrunner further down the line.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The more I read about WH:40K:C the more interested I am. Consider me optimistically excited? I'm in for the core set, at a minimum.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If you didn't catch it, they announced the first War Pack.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder why some games (WHC, SW) use the blister packs, but others use the normal packaging.

Yeah, currently nothing is sold in blister packs besides the POD products.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Isn't the alignment wheel their way of saying "Faction X can run units from Factions W and Y but not Z?"

"Faction X can run units from Factions W OR Y but not Z."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tau Preview for WH40K: Conquest, along with the full rules PDF:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4967

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

So you'll need 3 core sets for a full play set.

Buying multiples here will also create a lot more waste than Netrunner.

Hrmm.

I think 2 would be standard. There is no telling what the 1ofs will be, or what kind of power level they are.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's mandatory and I'll probably buy 2, but I've been looking online and there are a few people who say the won't play if you have to buy 3 for a full set

Edit: either way, between this and doomtown im running my budget tight this month

These people are also probably the same kind of people who loathed Netrunner because Noise was powerful for like 3 months and quit the game. gently caress those kinds of people.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Does anyone have advice on starting an LCG night at their store? The owners have been pushing Netrunner and for 3 weeks in a row I'm the only one who has showed up so I've taken the past couple of weeks off. Tonight the owners were bugging me about it again. I have some game store experience and I told them they have to brand it as a "non-Magic card game night" instead of Netrunner and they (the owner an his wife) need to play to get people interested.

I have more than enough to run multiple demos of Netrunner and Star Wars and will be picking up Doomtown and Warhammer 40k. They said they'd be down for playing Netrunner and have 2 store copies for demoing.

That will allow me to run 4 games of Netrunner (at least if i make less than competitive decks with my stuff), 2 of Star Wars, and 1 of Doomtown and Warhammer.

They only have OP kits for Netrunner and I'm encouraging them to buy the rest.

All said, short of just going up to people and being like "will you play star wars with me on sunday?" I dont really know what to do.

Advertise, and not just around the store. Post about you trying to get something started in your area on the large Netrunner Facebook group and the Netrunner subreddit. Start up a meetup. Are there other FLGS in the area? Add your store to these playgroup finders. poo poo, throw up a post on the FFG forums even. The OP Kits are an awesome draw for fans of the game, but they do nothing for newbies. Do they have a boardgame night? I'm sure they do FNM and other M:TG events. Set up a display or something to give demos, and since the Owners are down to play/help you shouldn't have an issue. Are you doing this for them or you?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm in it for a Core set minimum, most likely two. I enjoy the simultaneous turn structure, and how everything should be over in 3-6 turns. I like their rulebook structure as well, which is a shocker for an FFG rulebook. They have it split up into a "this is the general idea" book and a separate "go here for keywords, timing, and particulars."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I am so loving psyched for it, but not at all psyched about following two LCGs at the same time because I am a baby.

I actively keep up with Star Wars, Netrunner, and LotR. I intend to pick up Warhammer.

Someone help me :negative:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so the LCG is like trading cards I can actually play with :unsmith:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This is becoming a serious problem. I'm barely buying anything not made by FFG as far as board games go anymore.

I feel like the next step is just to set up an EFT direct to FFG and cut out the middleman. :ohdear:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm a sperg with a day off, so I went through the card lists and compared it to the favorite example, Netrunner:

Netrunner Core:
252 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 182.
1x and 2x you buy the core for: 70.

Conquest Core:
274 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 93.
1x and 2x you buy the core for*: 181.

*Not counting the token cards, which seem useful to have, but don't have a listed quantity on cardgameDB. Included in the "redundant" cards from conquest are the planet cards, signature squads, and warlords.

For what you are paying for, and without anyone besides FFG having any hands-on experience as to which cards are "worth it," the second core set is actually a lot of value.

Edit: The third conquest box gets you 120 "useful" cards. Netrunner? 11.

FFG got me to buy a 3rd Netrunner box :smithicide:

Carteret fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 12, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

LordNat posted:

See I never bought a 3rd Netrunner Core and have never found the need too. The few 1 drops you can work around without hurting your self too much and now they are all being reprinted as Promos so the point is mute.

Conquest almost requires 3 boxes with how many 1 drops there are in there.

I hear you. I just feel it's a little premature to say the 3rd is required until people actually get hands on the product. 50 card decks only have so many slots :shobon:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't much like how WH40K has limited searching effects and no tutor effects, but has a 1-of fixed in every warlord's fixed card pool. That guarantees that no matter what your deck is gonna have a thing or two in it that is just a wild card, unsure to have any effect on the game ever. Rubs me wrong.

And I'm quite sure 3-of will be desirable for many cards even in an "only" 50-card deck. Most Runners in ANR have 45-card decks and they pack 3-of stuff all the time. Constantly. Because it's smarter to be consistent than varied.

That said I'm still kind of hype for this game.

You are right, it does suck that 40K doesn't have many tutors :( An interesting thing about Conquest is that 7 of the 10 planets have card draw as a battle effect, and you draw 2 cards every refresh. If you are being pretty agressive, you could find what you are looking for quite easily.

Again, I'll wait and see how the game actually works out before making grand sweeping claims as to how it works: The Netrunner Ice Breaker tourney in 2012 was played off of kneejerk reactions and the winning decks, even with the same cardpool, were pretty different from the ones that won worlds a few months later.

I'm picking up 2 cores when they are available here because I love FFG and I hate money, apparently.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Carteret and I tilted again last night, this time we were able to play out the game. We picked random core decks, he got Chaos, I rolled Orks first but we played those the first night so the reroll gave me Eldar. Chaos is hella strong out of the box, they can poo poo out some serious damage. Eldar have some nifty abilities and definitely requires some good play to get the most out of those abilities. Carteret ended up winning but his victory has an asterisk next to it because my warlord got bloodied at the very first combat round of the game due our misunderstanding of a rule. I'll get you next time Carteret! :argh:

:smugdog: 2-0, asterisk or not, still sounds good to me. :smugdog: How this game handles actions at instant speed leads to silly stuff, like Zarathur’s Flamers attacking, then sacrificing for extra damage. The burst potential is something to be aware of.

Edit:

ReadingZucchini posted:

Where did you get deck files to use with OCTGN?

All answers lead here.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, your able to use actions like that? :stare: I thought you could only use them during specific action 'windows', but hell if I know if I've been doing it right

I know, right?! I would never have even thought about it, until I read about that exact scenario on FFGs promo: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4919

The action window during combat happens after each unit swings to attack, before the other player has a chance to swing. An Action: can be used on any card, even if exhausted, unless that Action requires the unit to be exhausted as a cost.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 24, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ReadingZucchini posted:

For anyone else curious, you can open the .nupkg after renaming it to .zip. The decklists are found in \def\Decks.

Also, as of last night or so, its on the OCTGN game channel, so you dont have to do anything and it will update automatically when you run it. Just find it and install it from the list.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The idea of this thread is so that a thread for each LCG that isn't Netrunner doesn't get pushed into archives. We've been just using this thread to talk about it.

Myself and Vulturesrow have been playing the odd matchup randomly throughout the week, and I think we are both getting pretty into it. We've been just using the decks out of the box to get the mechanics down, but good lord not having a 50 card deck hurts if you have a really strong start with lots of card draw. By turn 3 I had maybe 8 cards left in my deck? And the Planets were set up in a way that you couldn't win until turn 4 even if you took every planet. I was being aggressive and winning every battle, but there was a good chance if we let the game actually play out I would have lost.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I could definitely see that happening sooner than later, maybe with Necron/Tyranid box. Maybe they could add some sort of rules or draft where each player contributes a few planets to a pool which are shuffled and drawn from during setup.

I was interested in how FFG handled "common decks" in the other LCG that uses them, Call of Cthulhu. With my marginal digging, it looks like besides the core set, they have release 2 other "story decks" of 12 cards at two different times: once in a deluxe, another in the first pack of their last cycle. The last story deck is the tourney legal one. I would assume for balance reasons they would just introduce and mandate a planet deck, or just add to it. I doubt drafting would even be an option, however.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So, how about after having played like 5 games on OCTGN, I learned TODAY that combat turns aren't fought on planets that aren't (a) the first planet or (b) have a warlord. Therefore, you can only have battle abilities on planets trigger on 3 planets MAXIMUM a turn. Vulturesrow, I think our turns will go much quicker now. lol

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Didn't I say that at one point? And then we decided I was wrong?

Maybe? You also tried to do the battle action during the command struggle like 20 times. :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

When searching for The Hunt for Gollum, I find Nightmare Packs. The few Adventure Packs I found on Amazon went for like $75. What's the deal with the Nightmare Packs?

Holy poo poo do not spend $75 on an adventure pack. They may be out of stock everywhere, but FFG is good about reprinting them and there are more at the printers as we speak. Don't buy 60 cards at a %750 markup :psyduck:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

Cut off the front of the adventure packs and use those for dividers. I'll take a picture later, but you'll feel like a native American using every part of the Buffalo.

But... what are you going to do when they finally go to blister packs? :ohdear:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ledhed posted:

I don't think they'll ever go to blister packs for the regular releases. The images in the previews are always mock-ups with blister packs, but unless they change manufacturers suddenly it's always gonna be cardboard boxes for the 60-card packs.

We'll see. They have been showing images of it off and on for a while now, and it looks like something they'll do eventually. They already use them for their PoD stuff, and if anything it will just make their products have a unified image on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I think it's because the POD stuff is printed in the US and the rest of the LotR stuff is printed in China.

This is the reason. But, as shown above, they've already commented on the fact that they are going to the blisters.