Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mcustic posted:

I read The Invisibles and really enjoyed the whole paranormal/conspiracy/counter-culture/Lovecraftian barely comprehensible mish-mash, if you get what I mean. I'm looking for similar subversive comics. The more out there, the better.

I've never read American comics before, just some euro stuff in the eighties and nineties (Groo, anyone?), so feel free to recommend anything, even if you assume that everyone and their mother already read it. I also don't feel like getting into superheroes.

e:poo poo, Groo is an American comic.

You want The Filth, also written by Grant Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Porkins posted:

I'm either looking for a good sci-fi or gothic/paranormal super hero/team. I think I'd also like to keep it fairly recent, so written within the past 15 years or so. I'd prefer it if the writer and artist stay consistent, I tend to lose interest if either change all of a sudden.

I really like the Hellboy/BPRD series and I've read and enjoyed most of Brian Vaughan and Warren Ellis's comics or runs on various comics. I tend to shy from the big crossovers or events. I think it's because I prefer things in their own setting and no to have to read other series to get the full story. or maybe because I tend not to like the writers (Loeb).

Saga

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maremidon posted:

Hey as someone who's just getting back into comics and hasn't really checked anything out since he was ten, what are the really good Marvel series that don't have too much continuity going on? I just checked out the first issue of Moon Knight and Magneto, and I'm interested in what else I might follow. Something that has relatively few issues would be good so I can start from the beginning.

Most of them that don't have X-Men or Avengers in the title.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mahasamatman posted:

Black Panther v3 (Priest) was really fun and amazing. Thanks for the good recommendations goons.

What's the best Dr. Strange stuff?

The original Lee/Ditko stuff, it's more of a Dr Doom story than a Dr Strange one, but their team-up is good, Matt Fraction's Defenders, The Oath by Brian K. Vaughn, and Strange: The Doctor is Out, by Mark Waid. If you like older comics, than what little I've read of the original Defenders is pretty good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

On that note, is the Defenders miniseries by the JLI team of Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire any good? I've never heard anyone actually discuss it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It's very much tongue in cheek, but entertaining enough. I haven't read JLI, but based on what I heard about it, they're very similar tonally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saeku posted:

Thanks for the recommendations for psychedelic comics, folks. Finally got a chance to of through all of them.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World: already read and enjoyed this.
Casanova: a bit cerebral and I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Didn't bother continuing after Luxuria, but the writing was snappy enough that I'm ordering Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.
Moon Knight (2014): I always thought Moon Knight had a great hook, but dropped the 2006 series because he felt like a generic "gritty" vigilante. This is first single issue I've bought in years and years, on the strength of the beautiful cover and Waren Ellis's name. There's not much content for me to judge yet, but it's an insanely pretty book with a much more distinctive plot and milieu than the 2006 iteration. Very atmospheric. Not really what I was thinking of but I'm hooked.
X-Men: Legacy (2012): colourful, intriguing, and trippy while still a breezy and comprehensible read, and accessible to me despite my total lack of X-Men knowledge. Absolutely perfect recommendation, can't wait for the final volume.

If you like Ennis's Hellblazer run and haven't already read Preacher, you should check it out. It's got the same sort of down-to-earth dark humour and is widely considered one of Ennis's best works.

---

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Since you dug Moon Knight I'm going to throw out a couple other Ellis books Fell was a sadly short lived book about a cop working in the worst town, and NextWave was a fun little book about a highly dysfunctional group of heroes, most of them from forgotten corners of Marvel's past.

For more introspective stuff with super heroes both Bendis's classic run on Daredevil and Mark Waid's current run deal with that kinda stuff. Alias, also by Bendis dealt with all the baggage surrounding being a(n ex) superhero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I just read Strong Female Protagonist and really liked it, are there other superhero webcomics that are worth reading? I looked in the webcomic thread, but SFP was lumped in with "fantasy" and I looked through the lists but didn't see anything that seemed to fit.

Doctor McNinja?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SMP posted:

Speaking of this...

I caught up on Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World stuff so far and it's amazing. New Avengers in particular. I love the themes and mood in New Avengers. I enjoy the crazy sci-fi concept and the way it's getting out of control. The villains in NA are great (most notably the Black Swan and Black Priests), issue #15 was particularly great for showing all the alternate universe in which things have gone horribly wrong and they get a better idea of what they're dealing with.

I'm a huge fan of Hickman now. I'm reading his Fantastic Four run at the moment and plan on checking out his other creator owned projects, but where do I go after that? I guess what I'm looking for is long-form sci-fi that gets real dark.

Annihilation and then the Abnett / Lanning cosmic stuff is really good, different in tone than Hickman, but it goes to some dark places. Seconding Planetary also.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Possibly a weird question, but what are some options I could look at in the horror genre? 30 Days of Night was good (and Ben Templesmith is a wonderful artist), the Silent Hill comics are really hit-or-miss, and beyond that I'm kind of at a loss for stuff to look for. There seems to be a lot of "fantasy with horror elements" type thing, but I'm more interested in modern settings.

Bonus points for art in the vein of Templesmith or Mignola - I prefer stylized art to hyperrealistic stuff for the most part.

I imagine Dylan Dog is mentioned in that thread, but you can get The Dylan Dog Case Files, which is a digest sized compendium of the 7 different stories that Dark Horse translated into English.

It's 680 pages and at $17 dollars used that's a lot of comic for your buck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I am usually someone who follows writers more than artists, but I'm reading Planetary and between that and find memories of the Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-men I want more Cassaday in my life. Writer doesn't matter that much, but you know all those people who won't read a book no matter how good the writer is if Greg Land is on it. Imagine the opposite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Which Ultimate Marvel minis/one shots are worth it? I already know the Iron Man OSC one is garbage.

Everything Warren Ellis wrote for the Ultimate line is good, fun comics. Hickman's Hawkeye mini was decent, though a little disappointing because it sets up a cool situation that no one else does anything with. Ultimate Wolverine versus Hulk was pretty cool, and you won't have to deal with the multi-year gap between issues 2 and 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rirse posted:

Got back into reading comics again after getting a Nexus 7, and while I got Marvel Unlimited, I am a bit overwhelm on what to read. Going with my brother suggestion I started reading Hawkeye which I am loving, with Wolverine and the X-Men, Deadpool, & X-Statics on my queue.

I mostly just interested in more humorous books from Marvel or stuff like What If. I already bought Nextwave and the new Ms Marvel book from Comixology, so I am a bit at else to read from Marvel Unlimited.

Matt Fraction's FF (not Fantastic Four, though that isn't bad, just not as funny) and Defenders, also the Defenders miniseries written by Giffen, DeMateis and drawn by Maguire is fun. Ultimate Fantastic Four, written by Warren Ellis (I think it's issues 6 or 7 through 18) are pretty good too. And the Wolverine / Spider-Man mini by Jason Aaron.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Help me goons! I'm looking for a cool, modern fantasy comic. I've already read The Unwritten (most of it), Locke & Key, the Invisibles and Fables. A bit of Hellblazer. I like all of those, but I'm open to more suggestions.

Mainly I just want something similar to the Dresden File book series, or the World of Darkness rpg's. If it's finished, or pretty long, even better!

edit: hell, also requesting anything kind of high-fantasy, the more colorful and silly, the better.

VVV Those look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about anything like Saga but now that I know about it, I'm pretty interested, thanks!

Sandman, Lucifer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything out there similar to Firefly or have the feel of an old Spaghetti Western but set in a different place? Like Inglorius Bastards was a Western set in Nazi Occupied France?

Saga has a bit of that vibe. It takes place during an intergalactic war, not in the aftermath like Firefly, but the war is a backdrop, not the main story. The two main characters are star crossed lovers from either side of the conflict, and the narrator is an older version of their infant child (the first issue is her birth).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 21, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

Ha, I'd not realized just how short Ministry of Space is. So on to Planetary I guess.

I was talking to a co-worker today about it, and he was of the opinion that I should read all of Ellis' other work first, since none of it is as good as Planetary (in his opinion). I've already got the first collection, so I'm going to do that next, but drat if that's not some serious praise.

If you were looking for more Planetary, you'd probably be a little disappointed in everything else he's done, but despite re- using some character archetypes, there's enough variety in the rest of his work to keep it interesting.

As far as I know, Planetary and Transmetropolitan are his only long form works, most of his other stuff is 12 issues or less, so that adds to its reputation.

I just want him to write something else like Crecy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hekk posted:

My only experience with comic books were as a teenager in the early and mid 90s reading a buddy's X-Men collection. On a whim over last weekend I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited. After reading through some of this thread I saw that that Hawkeye (2012) comics were held in pretty high regard. I've read through the first six and am really enjoying both the art and story. To be specific, I like the retro(almost 1970s Bond like) covers and the use of shadows and interesting color. I don't know poo poo about comic books or art I just know this is a bit different than what I think of when I think comic.

I also enjoy seeing that Hawkeye is almost a regular dude. He doesn't have any insane godlike powers and often gets pretty messed up trying to fight against unlikely odds.

Does anyone have recommendations for either similarly unique art directions or more of the "everyday man rising to the occasion" type hero?

He's got actual super powers, but Daredevil might fit, I don't know what all is on unlimited, but look up Frank Miller's run or Bendis/Maleev both have amazing art and great writing. The recent Mark Waid run is good too, artists change up some but they are all pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hekk posted:

I picked up the first Ultimate Spider-man tpb off amazon for pretty cheap. I will look at New Warriors when I swing by the shop on weds. Thanks again.

I'm going to second Ms Marvel, its a great book with beautiful art and I think it's good for (everyone, but especially) kids to read the occasional thing with a protagonist from a different culture. You should definitely flip through Moon Knight before you buy it, I like it a lot, but it's kinda violent.

If your kid really likes the X-Men you might also get Wolverine and the X-Men. The Jason Aaron series is collected in trades at this point, but the new series isn't bad either.

One thing is don't worry too much about him getting confused about continuity, kids tend to let that wash over them. I remember being about his age and for a long plane trip my parents getting me the Return of Superman trade paperback, and that's confusing as gently caress if that's one of your first Dc comics. Lex Luthor is a young red head dating Supergirl who is a shape shifter. And I just went with the flow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

friendo55 posted:

I'm about a year or so into reading comics and looking for a new non-superhero series to get into that's just recently started up [I'm thinking Warren Ellis' Trees?] or especially one that's upcoming.

Right now I'm loving BKV's Saga and anything from Brubaker (catching up on Criminal and reading Velvet). Basically I'm requesting anything that's new and exciting and wasn't sure where to go or how to narrow it all down. With Saga and Velvet it's been much more enjoyable reading month-to-month versus TPB.

Sex Criminals. Its only on issue 5 or 6 I think, so easy to get completely caught up on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hekk posted:

I appreciate the Ms Marvel advice. All New X-Men is the new main X-Men series right? I will look into picking up the trades but for some reason I am really interested in picking up the current stuff to start out. Something about the format being what I remember reading as a kid.

All New X-men is about the original 5 X-men being brought to the future by Beast to show Cyclops how much of a dick he's become. Wolverine and the X-men is about the school Wolverine started because Cyclops was being a dick.
There are a couple crossovers, but mostly they do there own thing. There's more crossovers with Uncanny X-men, since that has the same writer as All New.

I don't thing there's much you'd object to in Young Avengers (I assume that's what you meant, not New Avengers, which is great but incredibly grim and violent), the first issue features two of the characters having sex, but nothing explicit is shown almost all of it is the morning after. I don't know how interested a ten year old would be in it though, it feels very much like a teenager comic, the major theme of it is dealing with being in that place where you aren't quite an adult, but aren't a kid any more.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 18, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations of Wicked + Divine and Deadly Class. I really dig the hell out of both of those.

Also if anyone could recommend some gritty realistic Superhero books that'd be great.

I've read pretty much I think all of Warren Ellis's stuff for Avatar, No Heroes etc.. I mean pretty much all the major stuff but things in that vein.

I like stuff like Irredeemable and it's sister books, Astro City, the boys etc..

Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

Brubaker's Captain America.
The new Moon Knight, though the writer is leaving after the next issue.
Spider-Man's Tangled web Had an issue that was about the cops dealing with the aftermath of a criminal captured by Spider-Man, I think the idea was that Spider-Man involves so many due process violations, that if they can't get an iron clad confession before the public defender shows up, the guy is going to walk. A lot of the other stories are pretty weird, it was an anthology series where they just let writers and artists run hog wild with Spider-Man

There's also probably a bunch of other stuff. Outside of X-Men and Avengers I think Marvel tends to be slightly more grounded than DC comics that aren't set in Gotham City.

Something you might like, that isn't Marvel or DC, Greg Rucka's Queen and Country (it's about British spies, I only read the first couple trades, but there's nothing more fantastical than your average spy film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Power Man and Iron Fist have shown up in Superior Foes and the Daredevil run I'm still reading and they've been fun as heck both times. They have any especially fun stuff worth reading? Stuff in the vein of big action comedy romps. A buddy suggested Immortal Iron Fist.

There hasn't been a ton of stuff featuring both of them for a while now, but Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist is tons of fun, Fraction's Defenders also has Iron Fist. Luke Cage is one of the main members of the original New Avengers, start with Volume 1 by Bendis (I'm betting your reading his Daredevil at the moment) The current run of Mighty Avengers is pretty fun and also features Luke Cage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What can you tell me about the Greg Rucka run without spoiling it for Wendell? I only know him from a Spidey one-shot and Queen and Country. He seems like an odd choice to do a large-scale big-name hero.

There was the diplomat stuff, and a lot of Greek god politics. Queen and Country isn't a bad comparison. Without getting into details Wonder Woman is an agent of Artemis and isn't aware of the extent of Artemis' plans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

^^ Oh, come the gently caress on.

Maybe Captain Marvel, who started out as Miss Marvel and became Ms Marvel before finally naming herself Captain Marvel in 2012.

I think there's a decent case to be made (hurr pun) for She Hulk, as well.

I don't think Carol Danvers ever went by Miss Marvel, which, for a character that premiered in the 70's, is a pretty important distinction.

azren posted:

Okay, I'm trying to write an academic-ish paper/reveiw about superhero comics as relating to American literature, and I wanted to know if someone can suggest a strong, independently operating superheroine besides Wonder Woman (she's already included), ideally Marvel, to get a cross-section. I've been trying, and I'm just drawing blanks, only coming up with heroines who are either secondary characters, or part of a team. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

edit: the aim is ultimately to provide examples of superheroes/heroines who can stand as examples of the contribution of superhero comics to American literature.

While her first appearance was in X-Men, Dazzler had her own series that lasted several years. Several heroines who are usually thought of as being part of a team have had solo mini-series, Rogue and Mystique I know did. Storm just got her own solo ongoing, but there's only one issue at so far. Also, the recent run of (adjective-less) X-Men is a team book, but the entire team is women in this incarnation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dubs posted:

Seems like a good page to ask about Danvers.

Where is a good point to start reading ms/cap Marvel? Has there been a decent recentish(90s+) reboot of her char? And the same question for stories with .. Black Panther, Ant-man, Fantomex/Deadpool/X-Force? Does Avengers itself ever cover things like this?

I haven't read many comics at all but got a marvel sub recently (and read heaps of marvel cosmic), and I know its completely irrational (because i was never going to read them anyway) but it annoys me when I pick up an arc for a character and it spoils other events and stuff. I had no plans to read it, but I read the first few pages of 2008 Avengers recently (to see why its so disliked) and that book straight up starts with HERE IS A LIST OF DEAD PEOPLE FROM AVENGERS AND X-MEN AND poo poo. I know what happens in most of the big events through the timeline but it ruins going back past that time and knowing what happens to who.

Should I just start reading Avengers from disassembled on? or something? Can I jump into these kinds of characters without having read avengers at all?

I have no real interest in reading civil war/or the big X-men culling event and Richard Rider Nova is my favourite comic by far if that helps. This question got long. I apologize.

TL;DR - I have run out of cosmic to read and am now stuck on earth. I have no real interest in Captain America/ Ironman/ Spiderman/ Thor/ Wolverine/ FF.

What should I jump into that isn't in the middle of a big arc containing crossover poo poo?, like everything i have picked up so far seems to be?

This is a little confusing, since they just relaunched Captain Marvel, but the second most recent Captain Marvel #1 is a great jumping off point (no one was buying the book, so they made a new #1) here's a link to the trade. They most recent Captain Marvel #1 isn't a bad place to start either.

I liked Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel relaunch from about 8 years ago, but that seems to be out of print, and it does pretty quickly get bogged down in event books (The 123 punch of civil war, secret invasion and dark reign hosed up a lot of the b list books)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lamont posted:

Apologies if I missed this being covered earlier. I know next to nothing about Cosmic Marvel - is there anything I absolutely must read before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, other than the 2008 series?

I wouldn't call it necessary in the sense that you have to read it to understand either the movie or the rest of the series, but I dug pretty much all of the cosmic marvel in the this chart. Annihilation: Conquest provides some context for how the team formed though, so I'd definitely read that before diving into the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

obi_ant posted:

On another note. If I just wanted something to read with a bunch of T&A, hopefully with a good story what would I aim for?

If there's writers you like, something they did with Frank Cho on art. Amanda Conner's Power Girl. I think they still publish Heavy Metal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Ang Lee Hulk is great, and deals with his rage being a problem, but definitely watch it yourself first. A huge theme of the movie is the fact that Bruce Banner's dad was incredibly abusive. I have no idea what the history of this kid is and you probably can't share much more, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there stuff worth reading that talks about Captain America's role as like the moral center of the universe to so many people? What that means? What weight it is on him? It doesn't have to be a Cap comic. It's just interesting to me that every time he comes up he's either an authoritative voice on who can be trusted, or the personification of someone's conscience, or this holy ideal of what a hero should be, etc etc. Even some truly awful bastards like Frank Castle and Mark Spector seem to put him on a pedestal.

Almost everything he's in?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Escher posted:

I am just getting into comics again, after a long hiatus, mostly thanks to how awesome digital comics are.

I am looking for good, stand-alone and complete (or nearly complete) series. Y the last man is a good example of a completed series I've really liked. Huge bonus points if the series ends really well.

I think Fables might qualify, being almost done. I used to love fables, but probably haven't read an issue since the 60s. I've heard very troubling things about its sustained quality. Does fables remain good?

For completed long runs, I would say definitely Sandman and Lucifer (Lucifer is a spin off of Sandman by a different writer, taking a lose thread and spinning it off into it's own thing, you don't really need to read the first to understand the other, but you should probably read the Seasons of Mists trade/arc before Lucifer, since it sets everything up. I don't think there is any interaction after that, and Seasons of Mist stands on it's own). I haven't read all of it it but I liked Ex Machina, which is by the same author as Y and I think had a definitive last issue.

Transmetropolitan and Planetary are both excellent series by Warren Ellis that end on a strong note too. If you want some Superhero poo poo, Brian Michael Bendis's run on Daredevil works in a three act structure and doesn't require a ton of background knowledge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't. From which point are you talking about -- doesn't that series go back to like the 50s? I saw it had some relaunch in 2011 but it looks like the first ton of it is in Fear Itself, which a friend matched to my expectations when he called it "turbo-dumb."

The 2011 relaunch is where to start, it's a fear itself tie in but thats mostly just back drop and you dont need much background knowledge to make sense of it. You dont have to read any other fear itself book to follow JiM. If after that you still need more kid Loki, Young Avengers volume 2 (same author) is really good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

petrol blue posted:

Welp, gently caress my bank balance.

(For reference, my mental image of Superman is pretty much the same as The Adventures of Kim Jong Un. Who decided that his superpowers should be 'all of them'?)

Yeah, that's not really what Superman, at least when well written, is all about.

petrol blue posted:

On that note - does anyone know any good stories told from the bad guy's POV?

Darwyn Cook's Parker adaptations are about a remorseless criminal. They're crime books not super heroes, so no one in spandex ever shows up to save the day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For both of you: It's a Bird was really good. It's about a comic author grappling with his family's history of Huntington's while trying to write a Superman comic. Superman only appears as a fictional metaphor.

Moosechees: If you dig Sandman, and haven't, make sure you read Lucifer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And... I'm going to get run out of not just BSS but probably SA on a rail for this, but... IDW's My Little Pony comics are pretty great, especially for kids that age. The art is super cute, and big splash pages are very detailed, and the dialogue is snappy and funny.

Nah, contextually it's a great suggestion, and liking My Little Pony is fine, turning it into a lifestyle choice is where we come after you with torches and pitchforks.

For non DC suggestions, the Marvel Adventures line is pretty good all ages fun. Of those Avengers is great, and Spider-Man is also great once it stops beong retreads of old Spider-Man stories and becomes it's own thing. (He gets a female friend who can talk to animals, I think is the easiest way to tell if it's the good stuff).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Corte posted:

Made a list of comics I've read, wondering if anyone might have a recommendation based on it:

Maybe I missed it on your lists, but Neil Gaiman's Sandman (I saw Sandman:Overture on there, but not the original series) is amazing and definitely part of the cannon (And you apparently "really liked" Lucifer, which is a spin-off of Sand Man).

Read Sandman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The only things I've read with Ultron in them are: That opening arc of Mighty Avengers where he becomes Lady Ultron, Ultron Unlimited, and Age of Ultron, and I didn't much care for any of them.

I've seen Ultron Unlimited being recommended here before as one of the best Ultron stories, but I just have issues with Busiek's Avengers run in general (in that I hate it), but I gave it a shot and it didn't do much for me regardless.

So I'm wondering if there's even anything else that's worthwhile reading featuring Ultron? Is the Ultimate version any good?

This is kinda a spoiler, but gently caress it, it's 7 years old at this point and been recommended multiple times in this thread for different reasons, and it features many of the characters in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

About half-way through Annihilation: Conquest it's revealed that Ultron is in control of the Phalanx, and he has an awesome cape.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dunbar posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations but I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for. I'd like to read a series that is similar to something like a Hong Kong action flick or Sleeping Dogs the video game, if that makes any sense. I just read the 4 issue Deadly Hands of Kung Fu from earlier this year and really liked it - wish it had been much longer. That or the old school Wolverine in Japan books would be good examples of what I'm looking for.

Does anything like this even exist?

I can't remember the issues, but there's an arc in Bendis's Daredevil where he's fighting the Yakuza in New York. And that issue of Planetary with the ghost cop in Hong Kong, I'm on a tablet so looking it up is hard, but I'm sure someone else can pinpoint it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I've actually been going through the N52 from start to finish by release date, as in.. all the comics #1, all of them #2, etc. I'm currently only up to the 3rd issues of each series.

1) Why on earth would you subject yourself to that?
2) If you're going to do something like that, you should be reading them in release order. Not every book was launched at the same time, some books got second or third issues before the first issue of something else was ever published, and I'm pretty sure some books double shipped.
3) Seriously why? and if you're committed to reading every goddamn thing why are you in the recommendation thread, since you'll apparently read everything DC anyways?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

That's actually something I've been wanting to do with Silver Age Marvel, starting from Fantastic Four #1 and going by release order. But that's not nearly 52 titles and they are all way more interconnected.

They aren't that interconnected, they just have guest appearances and poo poo. My favorite non-crossover in early Marvel is where Spider-Man is web slinging through the city and for 1 panel there's snow, then afterwards Spider-Man thinks "that's weird" and there's an editors note at the bottom telling you to read Journey into Mystery to see what Thor is up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

So I have been aware of Dr. Strange for a while. I am a fan of his portrayal in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. I am a big Spider-Man fan so I was watching a documentary (Finding Steve Ditko) and saw that he created Dr. Strange. The comic has been brought up as being a classic in other documentaries I've seen and always seems interesting. I also saw that it was highly psychedelic even before the era of LSD and such. This peaked my interest a lot and now I am wondering if I should read Dr. Strange. I would definitely start with silver age stuff starting from his first appearance because that's just what I prefer. Is Silver Age Strange worth it if I am a fan of Amazing Spider-Man, Nick Fury, Deadpool? Or is it a completely different tone?

Have you read much Silver age comics? The original Lee/Ditko stuff is worth a look either way. Other stuff to check out is the Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom graphic novel, Matt Fractions Defenders (Nick Fury pops up in that towards the end) and The Oath by Brian K Vaughn.

He's also in the current New Avengers, but gets less screen time than other characters for good chunks of it, plus it's something you should probably be reading from the beginning and alongside the current Avengers, so that's probably more of a time commitment than your looking for.