Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I recently read and really enjoyed Superman Birthright.

Are there any good longer Superman runs that build off a similar classic superman feel without going into insane reign of superman type stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

All-Star Superman.

Always All Star Superman.

It was good, but not really what I'm looking for. All Star Superman is very much a Morrison book first.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

it depends, some events are done seemingly purely for shock value, while others can range from fixing up continuity to simply shaking up the status quo. They're pretty much all primarily made to get people interested enough to see what's going on and hopefully pull in new readers.

There's obviously good and bad event comics, but I think most people complaining about them are generally just tired of how frequent they've become, rather than having an outright problem with the concept itself.

Trying to read a long running ongoing from Marvel from the last couple decades is awful with all the crossovers, with only a few exceptions. Even great runs like Brubaker's cap has dumb stuff where you have to go off and read much worse comics if you want to get some kind of context for what's going on. I'm reading through some 70s marvel stuff right now and "as seen in XXXX" is stupid, but it's better than the way events are done now, where it's just kind of assumed you read the events and thus know what happened to Steve Rogers and why Bucky is suddenly Captain America.

Don't even bother trying to read anything X related, or anything by Hickman, it's not even crossovers, it's just "these are basically one book split into different titles". And that's not to say it's not worth it in some cases, it's just really awful to sort through.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Journey into Misery had such terrible sound quality that I couldn't put up with it.

I really like View from the Gutters, I Read Comic Books, and sometimes Out of the Fridge.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Having nothing to do with your specific requests but the Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs (daredevil v2, after Kevin Smith like 15? issues in) are probably my favorite comics available on MU, so much so that I went out and bought the floppies. Just stop at Diggle, and restart at Waid if you want more.

Also Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist. I had never read Iron Fist stuff before and it was shockingly good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the Claremont era holds up really well and is worth reading but obviously it isn't modern X-Men.

I found Morrison's run tough to get in to. His superhero stuff generally seems to need broader knowledge of the subject matter. Astonishing was a much easier read.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gently Caress posted:

H-hey, just ordered my first batch of comics and already thinking about another one. I'm looking forward especially to these:

Ex Machina - I like the political themes but am not sure about superhero stuff. However premise of hero running for mayor seems really interesting.

I hope you like terrible politics. Also don't read the last volume. The story is better for it.

In terms of comics what else have you read? There's a ton of great non-superhero stuff out there, especially in the 90s Vertigo line and the more recent Image comics.

You should definitely check out Locke and Key if you like distubing stuff mixed with fantastical elements.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Brubaker's Books of Doom is a pretty drat good modernized version of Doom's origin story.

I adore everything Brubaker but think these are particularly good. Seconding this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The local comic shop has a back issue sale where everything is 2$. Anyone have suggestions for fairly recent series from the Big 2 (ongoings or minis) that would be appropriate for an 8 year old boy? I particularly want stuff that relies on the art and isn't too wordy. He's reading the Nova ongoing right now and seems to enjoy that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Is the Crime Noir Omnibus by Brubaker any good?

Everything by Brubaker is very good.

But the crime noir omnibus is by Bendis, isn't it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uncle Scrooge is pretty awesome a lighthearted adventure. Usagi Yojimbo is also incredible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uncle Scrooge is very much a comic about how family is more important than money. Even if Scrooge has trouble with that sometimes. It's filled with wonderful adventure and humour stories and with Banks and Rosa you've got some incredible art. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a must read.

e: for dumb adventure along the lines of Rat Queens I enjoyed Skullkickers

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What do you like about Spider-Man?

Do you want to read superhero books? There's a lot more than superheroes in comic books. There's also a lot more than DC / Marvel even if you do want to read superheroes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna recommend Invincible too then. It's more gory but it reminded me a lot of Spider-Man.

I will say the first 100 issues of amazing SM have one big issue: Peter Parker is a bit of a shithead who often deserves what he gets. He's arrogant, petulant, and really self absorbed. USM was better for this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also great is the Bendis to Brubaker Daredevil runs. You can start with Kevin Smith if you want but don't feel like you have to. The art is great, the stories are great, and they kind of lean in to the whole "Daredevil is Peter Parker as an adult" feel of the character.

And goes without saying that if you want to read Marvel and are good with digital, Marvel Unlimited is the absolute best way to get legal access to these books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

I am a fan of Spiderman, Jaimie Reyes Blue Beetle, and Kamla Khan Ms. Marvel. I like stories that are lighter in nature and have an emphasis on family and/or friends with an upbeat message.

Tone-wise, think The Spectacular Spiderman TV show (R.I.P.) and the start of Kamal Khan Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson) for examples.

As a caveat, I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down in continuity and shared universes. It doesn't have to be indie, but I'm tired of events and having to read 50 Series to understand one storyline.

If anyone can be so helpful, does anyone know any good series that are similar to those and fit that description?

Edit: Also, it would best if there was no mature content. Might give it to my nephew if its good. He likes comics.

Have you read Bone?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you're willing to move away from big 2, basically anything Sean Phillips / Brubaker do would fit the bill. Incognito / Sleeper in particular will give you some of that moody superhero stuff you might be looking for. Their other work is generally tackling different genres.

I am a never ending Brubaker shill though.

For the art I'd highly recommend Bill Sienkiewicz, who's done a fair bit of Marvel work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Elfquest is one of my favourite comics.

I’d recommend Usagi Yojimbo for the adventure / fantasy feel though it doesn’t have quite the same epic scope. Bone is a bit more kid oriented but it does have the epic scope.

Saga might also work. It’s a smaller story but it has the more open attitude towards sex that Elfquest throws in there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Schneider Heim posted:

Jack Kirby made a lot of great stuff in Marvel and DC, but which ones would you recommend as his best work? (I'd prefer it to be more Marvel-weighted, but I'd love to check out his DC output too, I got Demon from the holiday sale)

Thor. Tales of Asgard backup material specifically, though it’s all good. Not from the start though - you need to pick it up after Larry Lieber and Don Heck spend some time on it and Kirby comes back to it. Thor is bad at the start.

The Forever People is pretty awesome too. I liked it more than New Gods, mostly because Kirby’s dialogue works better for the 60s hippy story than it does for the slightly more grounded New Gods story.

Fantastic Four is good but takes a lot of time to get going. When he introduces the Inhumans the book goes on a pretty good run.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Early Thor isn't bad per se, it's just that it's an extremely standard superhero book where he fights bankrobbing villains like the Cobra and Mr Hyde and has office romance drama as Donald Blake with Jane Foster. I still had fun reading it but it's disappointing, not what anybody now expects when they think Kirby + Thor.

I thought it was pretty bad, but that may be because I was reading it in a particular context. It, like Iron Man, Daredevil, and Ant-Man, suffers because it’s not Spider-Man but it’s trying to tell the same kind of story. Whiny adults are a lot less sympathetic than whiny teens.

The villains were pretty lame too. Again, it suffers by comparison. Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were introducing some all time great villains, and even the Torch solo run in Strange Tales was doing a better job with introducing jobbers. Thor really didn’t get good until he started spending most of his time in Asgard or cosmic settings.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Parker (the late Darwyn Cooke's four brilliant adaptations of Richard Stark's crime/heist novels)
Everything else by Brubaker and Phillips: Sleeper (my absolute favorite) and its prequel series Point Blank, Incognito, The Fade Out ('40s Hollywood noir), Fatale (started out strong, but I wasn't as into it by the end), and Kill or Be Killed (currently running)
Velvet (Brubaker does espionage, in a world where Ms. Moneypenny was the real badass spy, not Bond)
Alias (recent collections have been released as Jessica Jones: Alias because of the show on Netflix)
Gotham Central
The Losers (a criminally underrated action movie on paper, later adapted into a criminally underrated action movie)
The Hood (a supervillain origin/heist story by Brian K. Vaughan)
Chew (an action-crime-horror-sci-fi-comedy; hilarious and inventive with lots of heart, and occasionally heartbreaking)
Suicide Squad (but only the 1987 series written by John Ostrander; you might find the writing a bit dated, but it holds up remarkably well and was a standout for its time. Ignore any modern Suicide Squad stuff with Harley Quinn in it.)
Starman (James Robinson's brilliant 1994-2001 series about a reluctant hipster who becomes the latest hero in a long heroic legacy -- it is my all-time favorite series.)

We have really similar taste, and I think you'll love these.

These are awesome awesome awesome suggestions.

I'd also throw in the Cooke Catwoman run, both the stuff he did with Brubaker (who continued without him - worth reading) and Selina's Big Score, which he also wrote (and is a wicked heist comic).

I also recommend Black Widow by Edmunson and Noto. Noto has a distinct art style, and Edmunson writes well in that Tom Clancy over the top espionage style.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You definitely need to read Black Widow, given your tastes. I agree on Noto, one of the best comics artists around.

I will throw up a caveat though. Edmunson writes good spy stories, but they're informed by his political point of view, which bleed into the work. Not as much here as in something like Punisher, or the Jake Ellis books, but it's definitely there in the background. It's kind of something you always have to contend with in that genre though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you just want reinventions of characters nobody cares about, Miracleman is about as good as it gets. I guess technically it’s maybe kind of marvel.

I think Spurrier’s X-Men Legacy run was a pretty incredible reinvention of Legion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jeff Lemire but his best stuff seems to be saved for his indie work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FF #39

Fantastic Four is good right from the getgo, but it's good relative to contemporary comics, not compared to modern ones. Starting around 39 though, it goes on a run that's simply good.

It starts to drag a bit in the 70s as Kirby starts to check out, but those ~50 issues are superb.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Depends what you liked about Invincible. I think the USM suggestion is probably good. Luther Strode has the over the top violent super hero thing action going on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually thinking about it some more, you might want to take a look at Valiant. They do the same kind of high quality cape story without being the big two, and they've got a lot of back matter to dig into to find a particular title that suits.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Seems obvious but have you read Maus?

e: Or Palestine?

A whole bunch of drawn and quarterly graphic novel type journalism would probably fit the bill.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 31, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

Atomic Robo immediately springs to mind, including the time periods (of some stories).

Yeah this and Hellboy will cover you for the more action oriented style of adventure. Real Science Adventures by the same Atomic Robo guys as well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone recommend some Bande Dessinee that I can only find in French / in europe?

Moebius is great, but a lot of it is translated. I was also thinking of picking up some of the Uderzo stuff that never came across.

I also found Conan: Bande Dessinee version. Highly considering that even if it looks like pretty generic takes on the character. Love me some Conan.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I bought a couple books. Still looking for suggestions.

I picked up volume 1 of Imbattable (Unbeatable) which was posted back in the funny pictures thread a while back. It’s a classic Spirou style single page funny strip with a main character who is unbeatable because of his ability to traverse comic panels.

I also picked up volume 3 of Tommy Cross. Didn’t realize it was the third volume, seems pretty standalone though. It reminds me so very much of Darwin Cooke’s take on Parker. Both for the main character - Cross is a hard boiled criminal antihero from the 50s, and for the art. Brüno draws in a very similar style to Cooke on Parker. I honestly can’t imagine it’s a complete coincidence for this book, though I gather this is his style generally. Very cartoony, clean art, subdued use of colours and shading, no cross hatching. I lovvvve it.

It looks like there a marvel unlimited comparable for Bande Dessinée that’s like 10 euroes a month. I’m going to try it out and see if I can find some other stuff to grab before my vacation comes to an end.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sanford posted:

Perfect. Ordered and en route.

I own and have enjoyed everything on your list except Vision, which is a good enough recommendation for me. Only concern - I'm not a Marvel fan and only have a basic knowledge of the core characters. Will I still "get it"?

Vision is very much its own thing. You get a bit more out of it by knowing the backstory to the characters but the book does a good job of filling in the reader on the essentials.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bug is super good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked a lot of that New 52 stuff too. That line got a bad rap but they tried to do some interesting stuff with the smaller titles.

Black Monday Murders is basically done if you want to do Hickman indie stuff. Kill or be Killed by Brubaker does the dark thing. (And read Fatale if you haven’t read it.)

Tom King’s Vision and Mr Miracle for character work.

From what you said though, the current run on Immortal Hulk.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Black Hammer is great. A lot of books at this point too.

I liked AD After Death too. Very indie though. Not like his big 2 work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Aaron’s Thor is really long and reasonably complicated. I think the suggestions a couple posts up were pretty good and, importantly, represent fairly self contained work.

Hickman’s Avengers falls into the same boat. It’s great stuff, but there’s a ton of it and he was trying to do this big epic that really works better as a whole.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Agree that injustice Harley is the way to go.

But I was generally ok with the Amanda Connor / Palmiotti Harley run from a few years back where she moves to another city and becomes friends with ransoms in her building. Lots of wacky hijinks and hanging out with Poison Ivy, not much creepy terribleness with Joker.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pat Mustard posted:

Since getting Marvel Unlimited a few months ago I've started reading Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men since the beginning. These have been good but I've just reached the Roy Thomas X-Men issues and it's gotten shite. Would I be missing out on much if I just skipped ahead to Giant Size X-Men?

Also it's very weird how Mary Jane keeps calling Peter "Dad". I'm sure it was perfectly reasonable 60s lingo but it's just weird.

Gonna suggest that you pick up Thor. IMO it’s the best series Stan and Jack worked on together.

For x-men I agree with Random Stranger and recommend jumping to the Steranko and Adams issues (it’s a cool little story) and then it ends anyway.

Not sure when I’d drop FF, because it’s still decent in the 70s, but ASM stays good for a very long time.

If you’re in the era, I’d also recommend making pit stops with Dr Strange and Shield Agent of Fury (the Steranko run is maybe my favourite run of comics ever... it’s crazy how much he advances the medium). I’ve posted some runs over on the live-blogging comics thread.

There’s a lot of mediocre comics, but some surprisingly great and underlooked stuff from that era.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Jim Starlin cosmic is pretty good. Start with Thanos Quest and just keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I actually meant start with Thanos War, which encompasses the early captain marvel stuff.

I haven’t read Thanos quest in forever.