Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any sign of Atom Ant or Inch-High, Private Eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

I guess it's hard not to read these scenes today in light of his first arc of Crossed (which I believe is the last Ennis I read): he seems to think that the world is a hard and cruel place, but that's a good thing, and that people too sensitive or not "masculine" enough are destined to be humiliated and punished by it, and that's hysterically funny because everyone around them secretly hates them anyway. I mean, look-- The Boys prominently featured a dog that raped people and this was all generally framed as an instrument of karmic and comedic justice. That's just not a world-view I can play along with. Maybe I'm just bitter because I know I'd last two pages in a Garth Ennis comic before a grizzled man in a black trenchchoat knee-capped me for vague reasons.

He is from Northern Ireland.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would've been slightly before that. The joke is that it's a Geoff Johns trademark and the first I can recall him doing it is an issue of Hawkman from 2003 or so where Hawkman hacks off the Matter Master's arm with an axe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Is that a seam, or just where his huge gloves end? Are those gloves, or his flesh?

Pretty sure those are condoms.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

Did they ever explain how he got out?

I think he exhausted his provisions and was on the verge of an epiphany that Nazism is wrong when Crossbones found him and let him out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think Cortez had the hammiest voice acting in the X-Men '92 cartoon and that's saying something.

"MY PEOPLE WILL have justice... SAYETH... ME!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad Roscoe Lee Browne never got a chance to play the Kingpin in live-action. That's still the voice I imagine for the Kingpin.

Another deceased actor who would've played a great Kingpin: Maury Chaykin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

Personally, I would have gone with "planet sized ego".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Trump may be a stupid, racist, selfish, self-deluded rear end in a top hat, but he never dressed up in a goblin costume and threw bombs at people/girls off bridges. I mean, I'm not saying he won't. But so far he hasn't.

Probably just can't find one that fits him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

I 100% believe that Trump has thrown someone off a bridge and we've simply never heard about it.

I thought it was Christie who had problems with bridges.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

I'm sure there's tons I just am not aware if but has Phoenix had any/multiple awesome cosmic battles against Galactus? I could see him getting kinda pissed she just overcooked an entire solar system willy nilly that he could've chowed down on.

e: ok yeah, there's loads of them, most recently in Generations

Rachel did (pages not sequential):

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Oh, Alan Davis. I don't know him. Did he ink this as well as pencil?

Not sure - might have been Mark Farmer, who's his usual collaborator on inks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Not Paul Neary? I'm not going by any actual knowledge -- I just remember seeing "Davis/Neary" in credits a lot.

I know Neary did a lot of work with Davis, but having checked Wikipedia, I think Farmer inked him on Excalibur (as well as stuff like ClanDestine, Fantastic Four: The End and JLA: The Nail/Another Nail).

Edit: Having double-checked, I see that both Neary and Farmer inked Davis on Excalibur but I'm not sure when. Based on the look of them, I'd say those pages are Farmer, so Neary must have inked the run when Claremont was writing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Afterwards, he told Supes that he was now only vulnerable to "The fires of passion" :flame::fh:

Amazingly, not written by Geoff Johns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

Well that's a very unrefined weapon.

Star Wars Tales #2

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so this is another one from Star Wars Tales #2 I found when I was looking for the last one I posted. It's a take on a very old story but I thought it was really cool when I was little so whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IronSaber posted:

The old story being the guy who was smuggling bicycles across the Berlin Wall, right? Or somesuch variation, I imagine.

The version I've heard is a slightly different (it was a guy stealing wheelbarrows by filling them with sawdust to trick his boss into thinking he'd hidden something under it) but that's the gist of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

the best piece of this comic is the giant frame of the officer imagining what his career was supposed to be like

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like the previous one, these panels are only "badass" inasmuch as they always made me grin when I was little:

Context: Lando Calrissian has been challenged to a card game by the Baron Administrator of Cloud City; he's just lost everything because one of his various rivals bribed the dealer to cheat on the Baron's behalf:

Star Wars Tales #3

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Where will you be when diarrhea strikes

:vince:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

Man, Star Wars Tales started out so good. I really liked what they were able to fill in around that series.

Here's some pages from Star Wars Tales #4. The context is that it takes place during ESB. The guy Vader is fighting is supposedly a bounty hunter who was late for the meeting in the movie, but he's actually an assassin targeting Vader:

I don't really like this one as much today but I thought it was cool when I was a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nilbop posted:

But he's got guts!

Remember when Venom disembowelled original Kraven's son (who'd become Kraven II) and made that joke?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

I thought that was Kaine during his edgy phase who did that?

Nah, this was from Howard Mackie's run on Spider-Man with John Romita Jr. where Venom tried to join the Sinister Six, then for some reason (I can't remember why) decided to go after them and kill them. He ate part of Sandman, I think he beat up Electro, then he stabbed Kraven.

It was abandoned for some reason (I can't remember why) when Eddie decided to reconnect with his ex-wife, then it tied into the boring, meandering Senator Ward storyline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ManiacClown posted:

I realized something earlier today. I don't know if it's intentional, but Joseph being Dredd's first name means his initials are J.D.— just like what Americans call a law degree (Juris Doctor, as opposed to Bachelor of Laws/LL.B. like the U.K.). I really wonder if that's a coincidence.

JD degrees aren't really awarded in the UK; you could take one at my old university (Queen's University Belfast) but I think it might be the only place in the country that offers them. It's probably a coincidence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

It's been posted in the touching panels thread, but there's a really good short story taking place during Empire where Vader is in a room with the disassembled pieces of C3PO and has a flashback to working on him with his mother. It's mainly remembered for an awesome panel after the flashback of Vader silently holding C3PO's forehead against his own.

"Thank the Maker" from Star Wars Tales #6 all the way back in the year 2000.

Here's the page in question if anyone hasn't seen it:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Star Wars Tales is really good

When I was 10 the "Vader vs Maul" story was the coolest thing ever.

"What could you possibly hate enough to destroy me?"
"Myself."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who's the artist for that one? Style's familiar but the name escapes me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's very funny - a parody of everything kids are meant to be into becomes this massive phenomenon because kids really are into them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

A similar thing happened in the JLA story done by Claremont and Byrne, only instead of getting nuked by solar energy, the vamp in question just went "Ptoo! Ew, gross, alien blood!" and that was kinda it.

It was not a good story.

The vampire's name was "Crucifer".

Crucifer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

There's a What If about that story and when he's doing this bit, he's ranting and raving. In the middle of his ramblings, he says, "Why am I doing this?" before going back to his nonsense and I always found that especially creepy.

Is that the "What if Kraven had killed Spider-Man?" one? I think that's the meanest What If of them all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Ultimatum have the line, "If she's the mother... then I'm the motherfucker!" or was that Ultimates 3?

Ultimatum was also where Ultimate Strange was introduced... so he could get messily killed off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's also a bit where Professor X is responsible for keeping the mutants under government control and he's done poo poo like amputate Quicksilver's legs.

The bit where it shows a newspaper with a photograph of Galactus's corpse and the headline "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE" is where it verges into parody territory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it Ruins where Peter kills MJ with his nuclear cum?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

no that's Reign

If Chris Claremont had written it:

"KILLED BY MY PENIS! MY CURSED, RADIOACTIVE SPERM-BLASTING PENIS!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samovar posted:

Spider-cum, spider-cum, radioactive spider cum.

Here's one I made earlier

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Spider-Cum" is the term
For his radioactive sperm.
Mary Jane already knows:
Cancer when he blows he load.
Look ooooouuuuuuuuuut!
Here cums the Spider-Maaaaaaaaaan!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

The only reason he did agree to it was that Sue called him a coward. Seriously.

It's crazy that the past 50 plus years of FF have all been "YA MADE ME A MONSTER, REED!" / "I MADE BEN A MONSTER, READERS!" but that detail's been almost completely forgotten. I certainly can't think of any comment where Sue's like, "Yeah, I guilted you into it by calling you chicken. My bad, sorry."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best thing about the original Morlun story: in his first appearance, he feeds on a nameless German superhero; a few issues later, there was a letter from a reader asking, "What was the name of the German superhero Morlun ate?" and the reply was, "Lunch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I remember a comic storyline that involved an empty/destroyed universe that was being used as a hideout by somebody. Maybe it was the guy with the CD-ROM drive in his hat?

That was Prometheus from JLA.