Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

smashpro1 posted:

Fantastic Four #604

Is this 'commanding dead things to rise' before or after the DC Black Lantern stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Opopanax posted:

After, but it's nothing like Blackest Night and it' snot exactly a unique concept

I figured, but the "RISE!" panels still look straight out of Blackest Night.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

McKilligan posted:

I still cringe every time a fired bullet is drawn with the shell casing attached...

Oh my god, I was just about to post this. Comic book artists need to figure out what the gently caress bullets look like, because that is inexcusable.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This was always one of my favorite "badass" moments in Superman comics.

Backstory for the 12 of you who haven't seen this before, Mongul (big yellow guy) ambushed Superman with a flower that takes over your mind and leaves you basically comatose, while giving you dreams of your heart's most desired things.

He didn't appreciate it.

I was a wee lad when this had come out, and that "Burn" moment still gives me chills.

Also, a page or two before that, where Superman wakes up from it. Robin's expression was basically the same as mine when I was reading this issue.

Wasn't this the plot line of a 'Justice League' cartoon episode?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

The cartoon adapted the comic. Its also the only adaption of his work that Original Writer likes.

Yeah, that's what I meant.. I realize the comic is much older than the early 00's cartoon.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

prefect posted:

That is one fast-acting pill.

If it didn't act fast, we wouldn't get amazing panels of Alfred kicking the poo poo out of Superman.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

willus posted:

i really really want to see this

It isn't the full spread, nor the final verbal jab thrown at Superman, but this has most of the panels. Scroll down. The entire sequence has been posted in this thread before.

Spoilers, folks- http://officialmessedup.tumblr.com/post/61584261720/superman-beats-up-batman-alfred-beats-up-superman

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

zoux posted:

Is that supposed to be Jay Garrick?

The New 52 Earth 2 Jay Garrick, yes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Polaron posted:

I do love when other characters' rogues galleries run into Superman and realize just how hopelessly out of their weight class they are. I remember an episode of Batman: The Animated Series where Batman was sick or injured or something and Superman covered for him in Gotham by wearing Batman's costume and pretending to be him.

He then ran into Bane and the Riddler (who seemed to be planning their version of the event that ended with Bane breaking Batman) and kicked his rear end so thoroughly that Bane was completely demoralized and Riddler was left utterly baffled.

Funny enough, I watched that clip on YouTube last night. I seriously don't recall The Riddler's design being like that, I remember the green suit with bowler hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

9 year old Temuchin, who will one day be Genghis Khan, goes to confront his half-brother who has been robbing the younger siblings of the food they catch.

from Chinggis Khan by Mitsuteru Yokoyama

Samurai Jack, noooo- :ohdear:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

That unprotected knee to the helmet would hurt like a motherfucker.

You really think she's doing anything unprotected? She's Bat-family. That suit is obviously covered with a layer of flexible fast-hardening microscopic nano Bat-polymer that cushion the blow and leave behind only the fresh scent of pine JUSTICE.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Soonmot posted:

For badassitude: Fastball special Captain Marvel/Hulk edition from the Avengers: The Last White Event trade.

EDIT: Not badassed: Hyperion's silly scream when being blasted in the middle panel

I'm not super familiar with current Marvel stuff- is that Captain Marvel throwing Hulk from space? I'm going to need some context here.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I hate when they make Flash that fast. If he was really that quick, every other hero on the planet would be useless. He could simultaneously prevent every accidental death at once. He could end world hunger, he could wreck every terror cell on the planet. He could gather and disarm every IED in the desert. There would be no more conflict. Slow him the gently caress down.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Badass Panels: Only qualifies for this thread if you'd airbrush it on a van

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

They never made enough of a distinction between the colors to me. I feel like most - maybe not all - members of either Yellow or Red could fit into either camp. Someone like Scarecrow should be Yellow for sure, but some Yellows are feared because of their ferocity, so they could be Red.. Like those two Yellow goons could easily be in Red outfits and you'd just accept it.
And equally, Reds are pretty universally feared, so they could be Yellow. Then seeing a Green Lantern can be a symbol of hope, so they could be Blue. I dunno, I like the idea of the spectrum but the rules seem half baked. Or maybe I just don't get it. I haven't read DC since Blackest Night back in the day.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

prefect posted:

Donald Duck should never speak.

Woah, hey, don't poo poo on the poor guy. If all the other Disney ducks are any indication, he's just got a horrible speech impediment. He can't help it.

(Also, as someone with a small child who watches the Disney channel constantly.. I have to agree.)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think I waited long enough to post this, but SPOILERS from Immortal Hulk 19.

I'd love some context on that..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

good day for a bris posted:

Immortal Hulk deals with the fact that the Gamma Irradiated characters just can't die. Like hulk, they always come back. Betty was shot by Bushwhacker and reverted to her old Harpy form, but Red cuz of Red She Hulk. She spent the issue graphically offing mercs and ruminating on violence, and her relationship with Bruce. When she finally gets to Bruce, his limbs and eyes had been destroyed by the weird hand face Abomination's (Rick Jones) acid. As he was begging for help, she instead ripped out his heart and ate it.

That's.. wild. Jesus. Thanks for the info.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The non-spoilery version - read Immortal Hulk. It is like nothing else being published by Marvel. It is transcendentally weird and spooky and unsettling. And it's also really, really good.

I'm not actively reading comics right now other than random trades but I'll keep it on my radar. I mostly just like to peek at threads like this and see what they're up to.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

Miguel O'Hara, y'mean?

edit: oh, and Squirrel Girl, of course.

I read the Squirrel Girl one a month ago, can't believe I forgot about that..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

But where is the kitten now? It isn't in the last panel, just flying through the air.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Green Arrow/Black Canary #4

Thank you for posting this, I had this pop into my mind for some reason a few weeks ago and couldn't find a good run of the entire sequence. I've been a huge Green Arrow fan for years and this was during my comic buying hey day before I had to drop it for financial reasons..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TwoPair posted:

DCeased #6: Heroes are coordinating efforts to evacuate Earth to escape a zombie plague

If you're wondering why Green Arrow's pissed at Batman, it's because Bats didn't think he was a big enough threat to warrant making a contingency plan if he went rogue.

I love Green Arrow and this is my favorite thing ever.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Green Lantern is over that weakness, but for Superman it was just the type of radiation, not the color. Of course, you're probably just being funny. But still! :eng101:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That's loving rad, but why was Colossus and his sister what's-her-face trying to beat up Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for that - I don't actively follow many comics these days, just like to look at badassery!