Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I'm pretty sure Fury Jr. is just an agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And that's how Runaways started.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

But Original Sin is Jason Aaron doing a murder mystery with superheroes and that sounds great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So, where are the Runaways now? I know Nico and Chase are in Avengers Arena/Underground, but what about everyone else?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Yeah, in the first issue of the DeConnick run, she just says, "Screw it, I'm taking the name."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When the Sandman: Overture HC comes out, ten years from now, it's gonna look so great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Cable, as created, is Clint Eastwood with a cyborg arm and vague Terminator-y stuff in his background. Everything else came later.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Armani posted:

I remember a billion years ago reading a small one-off X-Men story about a girl who could manipulate the earth, like rocks and things. Would anyone remember her name and if she's appeared in other X-titles? I always thought her power was awesome.

Thanks in advance!

This is possibly Petra, from Brubaker's Deadly Genesis. She was part of Xavier's first team to go rescue the original X-Men from Krakoa, who all died.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

For a while nobody knew, but they did know by at least Amazing Spider-Man Annual 3. (I think it's 3. The one where he tries to join the Avengers, and they tell him taking down the Hulk is his initiation.)

Edit: They didn't know when he was on the team, if that's what you're asking.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you mean back in the original Clone Saga? I think Osborn told him.

He found out when his clone of Parker had spider-powers.

I neither know nor give a poo poo about anything that happened in Spider Island.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

David left it open to interpretation whether it was really a dream or not, but everyone who read the story decided to take him up on the offer, so yeah, it was a dream.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

zoux posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to the Hulk's varying levels of intelligence or is it just up the the whim of the writer? I just finished Pak's stuff where he was an intelligent conqueror and now he's back to HULK SMASH.

Short version: multiple personality disorder.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And it still doesn't work.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The ROM thing is a good example of something that baffles me about fandom. There's no chance a new ROM book would be anything like the old ROM book. Neither of the original creators would be working on it, which you think would be the draw for people nostalgic about the old book. But apparently that doesn't matter; just having the property back gets them all excited. It's weird.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

DC: Vixen, Empress, Bumblebee, Astro City's Cleopatra, Voodoo, Dawnstar, Rainmaker, Azteka, Wildcat II, Dr. Mid-Nite II

Marvel: Firebird, Bling! (that's really how you spell it), Dani Moonstar, Silhouette, Cecilia Reyes

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He and all the other X-Men died in Fall of the Mutants. (Roma brought them right back, but it still counts.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So you haven't gotten to issue 34(?) yet, then. Your confusion is perfectly understandable.

(Seriously, that ish is a great Superman story.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And to answer your other question, Magneto did it because Wolverine cut him. Why he didn't do that any of the other times they fought, I dunno; maybe he just got tired of Wolverine's poo poo.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When Lockjaw had the gems, they formed into an Infinity Collar.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Phylodox posted:

If we're talking about Neil Gaiman's Death I imagine Darkseid would be singularly unimpressed.

They were both at Dream's funeral, but I don't know if they met.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hunter Zolomon sucks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Those were actually from 1996 and seemed like a response to Justice Leagues Tower of Babel.

That'd be rather difficult, since Tower of Babel came out in 2000. efb

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Reed Richards ever been a herald of Galactus? What Ifs count.

Then yes. There was a What If where the Surfer didn't rebel against Galactus. At the end, the Earth was destroyed, Surfer was dead somehow, and the FF (and the Wasp) became Galactus's new heralds.

E: I'm just going to stop answering questions.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I don't know why the Inhumans were destroying poo poo, but Black Bolt was presumed dead following War of Kings.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Didn't Baker do Wednesday Comics Hawkman in a similar style. At least he fought dinosaurs.

I recall real backgrounds and no computer effects on that one.

That was also pretty much the only Hawkman story worth a drat in my lifetime.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

All of this was, of course, an incredibly stupid and cynical thing to do with characters who were basically "assumed into heaven" at the end of the original Crisis. It's an excellent example of how Johns and Didio are only able to think on the most drearily literal terms about superheroes and superhero stories.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was "Only my ruby-quartz visor can contain my optic blasts!" one of Claremont's or was that used in the Silver Age too? Because it sounds like it should be a Claremontism.

I don't recall when they started calling it "ruby-quartz", but I'm pretty sure citing the visor as the only thing that can hold back his optic blasts goes all the way back to Lee & Kirby. Thomas certainly milked it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

In answer to the question about good Avengers runs: I'd say the whole run through Englehart's departure somewhere in the 150s is pretty solid. Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek are also strong choices. Bendis I cannot speak for, but Hickman I have loved.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Anti-Monitor is evil for evil's sake, and you beat him by punching him really hard, and then he reveals his final form and you beat him again by punching him really hard. He is literally a Final Fantasy end boss.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

wizardstick posted:

It has been a long time since I read Preacher, was Jonathan one of the Anne Rice vampires?

Guessing without context Cassidy is just making a threat as in 'you are dead because I'm about to beat you to death'

Yeah, that was pretty much it. I believe Jonathan was the lovely poet he made eat his own poetry in the Blood & Whiskey special.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

zoux posted:

What about the head of AIM

Sunspot's not that smart.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He also once used her as a channel for eldritch energies he used to send her big brother Franklin to Hell.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know how it ended but at one point in Avengers Arena Darkhawk got the amulet ripped out of him and it was put in Chase from Runaways.

I think he got it back by the end.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

There was Stan Lee as Funky Flashman and Roy Thomas as his lackey HouseRoy. (I actually think HouseRoy was the nastier portrayal of the two.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

prefect posted:

The first time I heard/saw the word "abo" was in an X-Men comic. It was pretty clear that it was not a nice thing to say, but I think foreign curse words and slurs don't count to editors.

Which would explain how "kike" got into an issue of Wolverine...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

All-Star Superman and Multiversity just off the top of my head. I don't think he showed up in We3 did he?

Not to my knowledge. Really it was just Animal Man and (kinda) Seven Soldiers, as far as I know.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Adults in the 1950s were kids before comic books existed, so they did not have a habit to carry forward into adulthood, and very few adults look at the hot new trend among 10 year olds and go "yeah, I want to buy into that poo poo".

And before anyone brings up the obvious brony counterpoint, there was no internet then either so the isolated deviants who might be inclined to do it couldn't get together and tell each other that they were normal and that was a totally okay thing to do.

Comic books got started in the mid-thirties. A kid who was ten when Action Comics #1 came out would be twenty right about the time the first superhero boom fizzled and crime/horror comics started coming into vogue.

To say nothing of servicemen who read comics during the war and after because they got them in care packages.

Adult comic book readers were a real thing in the early '50s. They were part of the reason companies like EC started doing material like they did.

(Of course, kids read the EC books, too, because the truth is people of every age like a cheap, gory thrill.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I don't know much about those, but yeah, there were probably some people reading both. There certainly were in the '70s.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Do we count Daredevil: Target, or are we just accepting that that's never being finished?

In the '90s, I remember Wizard making a lot of jokes about the prolonged absence of Wetworks #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Captain America White. Issue 0 came out in 2008 and issue 1 is coming out later this year.

Also what are the best old Young Justice Storylines for a new reader and is any of Impulse worth reading once Waid leaves?

The whole David/Nauck series of Young Justice is one of my favorite things ever, but for highlights, I guess I'd go with Sins of Youth and the buildup towards it, and the Our Worlds at War crossover and the aftermath. Issue 50 is really fun, too, as they recruit all the then-active teen heroes in the DC Universe and go invade a country.

As to your second question, no.