Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Why is Katana in the Suicide Squad? Isn't she usually a good guy? I'm pretty sure she was in Arrow, that Batman cartoon that everyone hated, and she's on the Outsiders.

Also, the SS has often been a mix of villains and heroes -- Nightshade, Vixen, Bronze Tiger, and Nemesis served in the '80s Squad, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I must be the only person in the world who detests Harley/Ivy, and at least half of that is because most of the time it's just straight up lesbian wank bait for men.

No. I preferred it when they were just friends, possibly with a bit of wink-wink-nudge-nudge. Because a) it was funnier when they didn't feel a need to spell out what exactly their relationship was and b) keeping it ambiguous helps avoid pages like the one above.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

The first Harley and Ivy episode is more like Thelma and Louise except they rob banks. I really don't think it started on that kind of exploitative note. Like granted Bruce Timm is a huge pervert but the initial episode was really not on that level of gross leering.

... well, except for the scene where they're walking around their house without pants on. As you do.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

I got my girlfriend a copy of Angel Catbird because she is a big Margaret Atwood fan, and we got talking about famous authors who went on to write comics (even if it was briefly).
The names I came up with were Jodi Picoult (Wonder Woman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis/JLA), Stephen King (a whole bunch of one shots and backup for American Vampire). I was drawing a blank on any other though. Any other big name writers who wrote some comic books (even briefly)?

Off the top of my head, Tamora Pierce (who's a big name in YA fantasy fiction) did a White Tiger mini for Marvel a few years back, and Jonathan Lethem wrote that Omega the Unknown miniseries that pissed off Steve Gerber.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

lifg posted:

Harlan Ellison was (and is) mostly a short story writer, but he's been in and out of comics since forever. His collection Dream Corridor is really good.

During the second incarnation of Dial H for Hero, they used heroes and villains sent in by readers. Most of the submitters were kids and teenagers, but then there was this guy .... (Note the caption box at the bottom.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

What was that one DC-Punisher that ended with him killing himself?

The Vigilante. Specifically, Adrian Chase, since there have been a few DC characters who have used that name.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Doom needs a cloak or at least like a tunic for his outfit to work.

I wonder if they had Doom lose his cape because the Secret Wars toy version didn't come with one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some deeply demented guy did a 35-part recap of the Clone Saga, including comments from an editor who worked on the thing. It's an oddly fun read.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

I love Casanova, but don't understand the end of the third series or how the fourth series ties in with anything. I'm stupid toward Fraction's metaphors.

I approach Casanova the same way I do Michael Moorcock's "Second Ether" books -- don't try to understand, just roll with it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There's also the appearance of "Buried Alien," the Fastest Man Alive, in Quasar.

I doubt anyone on the editorial/creative side would care that much if the other company borrowed their characters for a panel. The problem would be with the lawyers (isn't it always?) and the duty to defend the company's trademarks. No one wants another Captain Marvel situation.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about Rogue from X-Men. I remember reading X-Treme X-Men, which had her removed from the team about two-thirds of the way through when she and Gambit both lose their mutant powers after being run through with a sword by Vargas (remember Vargas and how Claremont tried to tie him in with Cassandra Nova?) after which they settle down in California to have a normal life. A while later (circa 2006, I guess) Sunfire loses both his legs in battle with Lady Deathstrike, and asks Rogue to permanently absorb his powers so she can avenge him, and for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers. Then I was out of the loop for a while, and the next X-Men I read was Claremont's third run on Uncanny just before House of M, where Rogue is back to her normal power-set (absorption plus super strength and flight). How did she get from A to B? When and where did she lose Sunfire's powers and get her usual ones back?

Didn't she lose Sunfire's powers (as well as her memories) when she got wiped by touching baby Hope Summers during the "Messiah Complex" arc?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?

There's a friendly version of the Toyman, but he's not the same person as the original Toyman, Winslow Schott, so it's not really a reformation.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dillbag posted:

I didn't see a grading thread in BSS, so I figure this is probably the thread to ask this particular question:

In my case, is a grading service worth it?

I have 3 books that are in the $150 to $300 range and 5 in the $40-$60 range, depending on where you are looking and what your definition of "very fine to near-mint" is. I'd like to part with these books and put some money in my pocket, but I'd also like to avoid wasting my time for a couple extra bucks. Also, I'm in Canada, which would mean shipping costs and a lovely exchange rate. Is there any point using a grading service if I want to sell these online? Or should I see what I could get from a local shop or convention without grading?

Thanks in advance, BSS.

How old are the books?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Series title alphabetically, not divided by publisher. Although I'm far from consistent in how I treat descriptors -- I file Amazing Spider-Man under A, but Incredible Hulk is under H. It's just a case of "that's the way I've always done it, I know where stuff is."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Thanks for the input everyone! And also thanks for making me feel like a doofus for still collecting physical releases. :ohdear:

You are not alone. I only changed from buying individual copies to buying trades a few years ago. Still haven't bought a digital comic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Or a sufficiently powerful rabbi.

This sounds like a job for ... the Seraph!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

However, Carnage has definitely caused some carnage.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pat Mustard posted:

Also, who's the fattest super hero?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Soonmot posted:

I liked livewires

Livewires was great but it wasn't Mangaverse, just Adam Warren's usual style.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Worked for me.

Also I was under the impression the Emma Frost book was good? Never read it.

Also Brian K Vagon's Mystique??

Never read the former, but Vaughan's Mystique was pretty good spy-thriller stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DC and Marvel both have Enchantresses.

DC also had a Spider Girl -- she was one of the Legion rejects and occasionally showed up now and then.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

redbackground posted:

If I was just trying to get a hold of simple reprints of Conan the Barbarain 23 & 24 (Red Sonja's first appearances) (which are not surprisingly very expensive), where could I find them?

Essentials Conan vol. 1 covers #s 1-25, if you don't mind black and white.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

That odd Batman series from 2010 or so (the one where Joker never wears shoes and the Riddler is a goth) introduced this angle where the Pennyworths had once been retained by the Cobblepots before they went to enter the service of the Waynes; was this from the comics or was it just in that series?

AFAIK, that was only for the show.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

"He has a magic sword but he's not allowed to do anything with it other than deflect the occasional laser and smack somebody with the flat side" is kind of lame. Although "he cuts people in half all the time" is kind of not a good fit for superhero comic books, so it's a tough spot for a character to be in.

I remember Black Knight in the Roy Thomas Avengers constantly making a point of mentioning that he was hitting enemies with the flat of his blade. You know, just in case kids thought he was actually hacking up people.

(Man, Roy loved him some phrases like "serried ranks.")

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In partial defense of the Barry era, there are many things from his time that are now iconic parts of the Flash mythos: the costume in the ring, the Cosmic Treadmill, the Rogues Gallery and their "friendly enemy" relation with the Flash, the Flash Museum, "Flash Facts" ...

That said, while I'm old enough to remember when Barry was the Flash, it was Wally who got me into the character, even when Mike Baron was writing him as an immature rear end in a top hat.

While I wasn't happy when Wally was killed off and Bart was grimmed and aged up, I was willing to give Bart a chance. I think DC just panicked when Bart got a cold initial reception -- which had more to do with the fact that Danny Bilson and Paul DeMeo were lovely comics writers -- and brought back Barry instead.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This is reminding me that I have like 400 green lantern books from the late 80s to the mid 90s that I haven't looked at. My uncle gave me all his comics about a year back... dude had an unhealthy obsession with green lantern, especially Guy Gardner. Also Punisher, Lobo, and anything Garth Ennis wrote.

Was any of the Guy Gardner stuff good?

meh. Outside of the Giffen/DeMatteis JL, I can't remember seeing many interesting Guy stories. Maybe there was something in GLC Quarterly, but if so it's slipped my mind.

The solo Guy book was mostly Beau Smith jacking off really hard trying to make Guy the Bestest Everything Ever in the DCU.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

Who has been served worst by retconning? Has someone started out with a conventional origin story but suddenly had it retconned to where their mother is Bilbo Baggins and their father a cloned of Galactus where they used skin from his balls to clone him?

Well, there's Xorn, but no one cares about Xorn anymore.

I'd put the Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver not actually being Magneto's kids anymore retcon up there too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's not really true, the first almost decade of Marvel was just Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko bouncing ideas off each other. I know Kirby worked for DC eventually, but those three are more tied into the DNA of Marvel than anyone else and I don't think there's anyone with the equivalent legacy at DC. Simon and Schuster and Kane and Finger, maybe.

Julie Schwartz maybe, at least from the Silver Age onward.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rochallor posted:

The talk of cancellation in the Marvel thread got me thinking: what's the quickest a book has been cancelled by a major-ish publisher? I figure that because of the way printing a stuff works, the second issue is pretty close to complete by the time the first one ships, but has a #1 ever sold so poorly that they don't bother even printing the #2?

I think Acclaim's Concrete Jungle is probably up there -- Priest says it was canceled before the first issue even shipped.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

Dick is the Joker in DKSA.

Also, is there a really good run for an Elektra solo book? The new one is ok, but I feel like there's probably better iht there.

The obvious answer is the Sienkiewicz/Miller series from the 80s, which is deeply bizarre but like nothing else out there (and was written when Miller actually had interesting things to say).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

I think Doctor Light actually started out as somebody who could beat the Justice League before being downgraded to a kinda sometimes competent Teen Titans villain, and then had that really dumb retcon applied to explain that.

When Light was in the original Suicide Squad, he was portrayed as a pathetic loser, desperate for approval and resentful over constantly getting his rear end kicked by kid heroes (to the point where he killed a teen hero in a fight because he was terrified of being beaten by a kid again). Ostrander eventually killed him off, and then of course came Identity Crisis to redeem him as Doctor Light, Super Rapist.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm reading the first X-Men issues, and there's a part where Magneto forms a magnetic barrier to keep a group of soldiers confined in one place. Has he ever used this power to just straight up crush someone (or a group of people) by making the barrier smaller and smaller? I've never really read any X-Men, is that even a power he still has? It seems pretty powerful, you could really do just about anything you want with it.

Yeah, Magneto still pulls out the "magnetic force field" trick from time to time, although I can't remember him crushing anyone with it (he's more likely to wrap an enemy in metal and then squash them).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Wasn't there also a time where Magneto's power set was so ridiculously high that he could manipulate the iron in blood? Like, he didn't even need to wrap metal around dudes, just flay them from the inside?

Sure, that's another trick he's used sometimes. He used it in the movie X2 too, although in that case the guy had been specially dosed with an iron supplement to make it a tiny bit more believable.

While we're talking about weird Magneto tricks, he's also used his powers to stop the electromagnetic impulses in people's nervous systems, and made himself invisible by magnetically steering photons around himself.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I really want to read Judge Owl comics

Bumbie the Bee-Tective looks stoned as hell. Wonder what's in that pipe?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Weren't they in The Defenders at the same time or some poo poo?

Iron Fist was in the Defenders for about one issue. I don't recall if Son of Satan was on the team at the time though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

e: unrelated, but do comics still reference Magneto being a Holocaust survivor and just de-aged several times, or is it one of those things they phased out?

Nope, it's still a major part of his character (unlike, say, Mr. Fantastic and the Thing being World War II veterans).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

ElfQuest

Seconded.

Also, Groo the Wanderer -- yeah, it's a silly parody but it's still good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Yeah. Groo is really good. Nice call.

And I guess if you want some phonebooks you could get into Cerebus. But there's some dark waters there you'll be wading in.

Early Cerebus is really good. Everyone has their own opinion of when to stop, though. Some folks say you can put it aside after Church and State. Me, I say stop after Jaka's Story, since for me Melmoth was when Sim started disappearing up his own rear end.

prefect posted:

It is both very silly and very good. :thumbsup:

p.s. "mulch"

Are you implying I'm a mendicant?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Speaking of JJJ as politician, how many characters have tried running for politics? I know Luthor was president briefly, and Hundred from Ex Machina, but are there any other big names? I think Ollie Queen was mayor once? How did that turn out?

IIRC, he got recalled when it came out he was secretly financing the Outsiders.

The Squadron Supreme's Nighthawk was President of the US, and of course Tony Stark spent a while as George W. Bush's Secretary of Defense. And Barbara Gordon was in Congress for a little while during the 70s, I believe.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Justice League can only have 1 black guy and they're committed to Hal Jordan for some reason, so we're stuck with Cyborg, who nobody likes.

That's pretty much it, I suspect -- they wanted to add some color to the Justice League lineup (other than Martian green). Cyborg is one of the few black heroes who's powerful enough to put in the League without being completely overshadowed, and unlike Steel or John Stewart, he's not an offshoot of an already existing Leaguer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Can't remember when, but there's been probably more than one story where he has the flu.

Spidey was actually sick during the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story.