Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm pretty sure Fury Jr. is just an agent.

That.

And apparently Quake/Daisy is no longer at SHIELD at all. I never read it, but apparently in Secret Avengers v3 under...Spencer, I think, Hill planted some poo poo and it blew up in Quake's face. And she wasn't the public head of SHIELD anyway so Maria is just the head.

Fury Jr is just an agent. He's appeared in a few other books as well. He's in the Current Cap story, made some appearances in Scarlet Spider and Hawkeye as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It might've been What If Spider-Man Stayed in Germany? That is based off of a one-shot called Spider-Man Vs Wolverine back in the 80s where Peter Parker and Ned Leeds get mixed up in some adventured with Wolverine and an ex-KGB friend of his named Charlie. Long story short (and you really should read the original, it is really good), Spider-Man and Leeds get mixed up in the same forces that are gunning for Charlie. Leeds dies, later retconned into dying while he was changing into the Hobgoblin costume. Wolverine and Charlie are on the run and Charlie knows these men after her will kill her and asks Wolverine to mercy kill her. Spidey and Wolvie get into a tussle, Spider-Man thinking he can save Charlie. During the fight, Spider-Man senses something behind him and expecting it be Wolverine, fully punches the approaching force.

It was Charlie. She died instantly at Spider-Man's hands.

Pete and Wolverine later part their separate ways and return to their homes in New York.

The What If takes the turn of Spider-Man and Wolverine still being on the run from the forces that were after Charlie. It was released 3-4 years ago and I haven't read it since then but Black Widow might be it. Spider-Man ditches the costume and basically wears super spy black clothes and stuff.

Here is the Spiderfan.org summary of the What If issue:

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/what_if_one_shots/182.html

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 20, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Yes, and also in the film The Wolverine he didn't seem to be getting poisoned by the adamantium either, although he similarly was unfazed by being shot several times at point blank range so it's maybe not the best example of what would happen to Wolverine without his healing factor.

The 90s show has the Savage Land nullify mutant powers. Wolverine goes "there's nothing mutant about these, bub" then screams in agony.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know about X-statik but Europa is one of Jupiter's moons. It is most notable for having an atmosphere of oxygen and is almost entirely covered in ice. The theory that that leads to is there is water under the ice and that it could be a place where life has been in the past or currently is. The non batshit crazy conspiracy theories are that the life found there, or evidence of past life, would likely be similar to life found in the deep ocean on Earth.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Haven't they shown tours being given of the Baxter Building? I kind of thought there might be a museum or something on the first few floors.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just started reading the FF Hickman v2 omnibus. Could someone give me a quick recap on what happened to the Inhumans and why the Kree are destroying poo poo and why Black Bolt isn't with the Inhumans?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Reading through Kelly's Deadpool for the first time. I just got through the Cable guest appearance. My question is does this Laiman Laiman and Zack (or whatever its called) bullshit actually go anywhere? I'm much more invested in Deadpool's wacky adventures, and his relationships with Al and Weasel. Even him struggling to be a hero. But LLZ is just a bunch of boring bullshit to me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Beast try to go to med school and got kicked out? Or was that some poo poo plot from the 90s show?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I kind of stopped reading monthly issues. Did Aaron ever get around to telling us what Nick Fury said to Thor during Original Sin that made him unworthy?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Who the hell is in all red?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he starts to really change or develop after Ditko leaves, because I think there was an element of Ditko's philosophy in his characterisation.

Agreed. Ditko's influence really makes Jonah out to almost be a villain and the only character that Peter actively and continues to be mean too (usually as Spidey), and plays it off as okay to be mean because Jonah is profiting off of other people's (IE Peter and other Bugle employees) work. Jonah doesn't beome a fuller character until after Ditko leaves. In the original run, the only time Jonah does any good is when it serves him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Madkal posted:

Here is a question to test your nerd knowledge: what are the favourite food of random superheroes? What does Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc like to eat?

I know Bendis writing Spider-Man, in both Ultimate and in his Avengers stuff, has often had Spidey reference various NYC joints.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Five Guys is good for chain-burgers but there's no way it is the best loving burger in any city, let alone NYC.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

After Logan, I'd like to read some good X-23 and Comixology is having a sale. What's good?

If you haven't watched XMen: Evolution, you should. The first season and about half the second season suck balls, but then the show does a complete 180. I believe X-23 is introduced in season 3.

She appeared first in the comics in some mini series that sucked balls. X-23 Innocence Lost and X-23: Target X tells the origin story of X-23 from the comics, but by far her best series is X-23 by Marjorie Liu. Series ran for 21 issues.

X-23 was also featured in the X-Force/wolverine fest re-launch and I honestly thought it was good except for the yiffing.

Besides that, almost all of X-23 on a team is bland or bad. Bendis' use of X-23 is really bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RandallODim posted:

Yeah but if you just buzz through the actual Dark Wolverine issues in the Collision trade the X-23 side leans hard enough on 'Daken is a creep and a loser' to be okay.

Which is good because Daniel Way really wants Daken to be the most loving badass character ever. I really don't know how Way continues to get work as I don't think he's ever written anything decent.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ I'm totally for LGBT representation in media, but Daken's bisexuality just came off as loving creepy and abusive.

Lurdiak posted:

Jason Aaron is forever my hero for drowning Daken in a puddle.

Wasn't that Remender and not Aaron in Uncanny X-Force? Also did anything ever come from Daken being risen from the dead in Uncanny Avengers? I don't read monthlies anymore but am just curious.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Several years ago Marvel released CD Roms of runs of titles. I think Amazing Spider-Man's CD Rom went from Amazing Fantasy #15 and then ASM #1-500. If I recall, these scans also included the original ads which is probably why these CD ROM collections went out of production shortly after their release. https://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-cs-513s-Amazing-Spider-Man/dp/B0006Q7FEM

I think similar CDs were released for FF and Avengers

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If you do get Unlimited I can't recommend the initial Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run on Fantastic Four, especially if you're interested in teams and general Marvel History, first appearance of Skrulls, Kree, Inhumans, Black Panther, not to mention Galactus, Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom hijinks and post Golden Age Namor. And the team dynamics are probably some of my favorite stuff ever.

I'm reading this poo poo via the omnibuses they're putting out and it is great. Lee/Kirby really just look for ways to make Ben's life horrible. "Hey THING! Stop acting like such a MONSTER all the time!" well maybe if you guys stopped calling him a thing and a monster that might help.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Maria Hill is good and relatable

Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is what got me to like Maria Hill. Her being thrown out of SHIELD is great. It is unfortunate she seems to be perpetually stuck in that role now.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Everyone except Xavier and Namor was basically publicly tried during World War Hulk for acting as the Illuminati. Then Bendis did another "the Avengers find out about the Illumnati!!!!" at some point which ended with Cap joining them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rochallor posted:

The talk of cancellation in the Marvel thread got me thinking: what's the quickest a book has been cancelled by a major-ish publisher? I figure that because of the way printing a stuff works, the second issue is pretty close to complete by the time the first one ships, but has a #1 ever sold so poorly that they don't bother even printing the #2?

This used to be somewhat common in the bankruptcy era but at least Marvel seems to give their new titles 12 issues no matter what nowadays