Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twitter's average user is a whole lot closer to Ryan North than teenagers at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Has any modern-ish comics referenced Amazing Spider-Man #12, it's Doc Ock's second appearance and early in the story Spider-Man get's a 24-hour flu and Ock beats him and unmasks him, but the fight was so easy, and Parker was known to be so puny, no one believed he could be Spider-Man J Jonah is there for the unmasking. It feels like to kind of deep cut you could get some leverage out of, "Hey Parker, remember that time you dressed up as Spider-Man, for a genius you did some dumb poo poo as a teenager."

The Fox cartoon did that in an episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Doom is a child's eternally superlative crayon drawn character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Copycat is Vanessa from the Deadpool movie.

Heavily changed of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Todd doesn't want to pay Simm as far as I remember. Because he's a dick.

Going to have to be more specific with that second line.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not really that good, you're not missing out if you just don't read the crazy man's stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man watching his friend helplessly get eaten alive by a monster

This is just Attack on Titan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but kids under 13 are more likely to have experienced gun violence than sex.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

My abiding memory of Storm: The Arena even 13-14 or so years later is how it had those mutants who wore gimp suits and had BDSM as their mutant powers: one of them had a whip that caused you to feel pain so intense it looped around and became pleasure, while the other one had claws that caused you to feel pleasure so intense it became painful when she cut you with them (as opposed to "claws that cause pain when she cut you with them", I suppose).

"Has a whip" is an interesting biological evolution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

And then year later Jeph Loeb claimed he was a wolf?

The entire offshoot mutant werewolf people thing was written off as one dude who was a mutant werewolf and also a genetic engineer or something. He made it all up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a story. It involves a shotgun and someone getting a pretty nice new carpet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kyle Rayner is the authoriest insert possible. It's one evil for another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most people don't have enough iron in their diet, obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They saw what happened in Bruce Almighty after he granted all the prayers and decided not to let that happen to their universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But I don’t want to cure cancer, I want to make dinosaurs!

It’s from Spider-Man and the X-Men. The ‘scientist’ is Sauron.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kang/Nathaniel Richards/Rama Tut/There's-like-13-more-of-these is from the 30th century in an alternate timeline Earth where 616 Reed's dad popped over and ended their centuries of war and became a legendary hero sometime before Kang's birth. Kang may or may not actually be a descendant of his.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All the writing problems were still there in the first season they just got obscured by "That's the thing he can do in the comics!" and Tom Cavanagh being the only good villain the show has ever had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I meant to only call out Persepolis and especially Maus, screwed up my editing.

Q: What are some Newer graphic novels
A: Something published in 1991.

The planet's billions of years old, man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carol Danvers was upgraded to Colonel upon retirement. Her rank while active was Major.

There's probably some functional difference there when she's working with other current or ex military characters. But as a Major she outranked basically any character who isn't a General or Nick Fury anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 26, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They make frames for comics, even slabbed ones, but since they're made by comic collectors and not people who actually makes frames they're usually pretty ugly.

As you can see above.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the worst Rogues are probably Murmur, whose power is that he's mute and weird-looking, and Plunder, who owns a gun. Fourth-rate Batman villains, fighting the Flash.

"Owns a gun" is like half the Rogues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It pretty much ruins the ending of Arkham City.

Batman, literally no one on earth gives a gently caress that you didn't stop a genocidal terrorist wizard from killing a concentration camp commandant and committing suicide.

Yeah but doesn't he know he's going to die in that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Spider-Man mentions they're on the west coast. Which is a cute nod to the West Coast Avengers, but really raises the question of what the gently caress could be so bad on the west coast that they can't head back to NYC to deal with (Spidey PS4 spoilers) multiple terror attacks, including one with a madman unleashing a potential global pandemic

This is an established Spider-Man. They know he can handle it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The costumes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Selachian posted:

This should help you out. Basically, DC's Captain Marvel was created in the 1930s by another company, which was sued out of the comics business over Captain Marvel's similarities to Superman. Marvel's Captain Marvel was created in the 1960s, when the original Captain Marvel had been sitting unused for several years. Then in the 1970s DC decided to buy the rights to the original Captain Marvel, but Marvel had trademarked the name since then. Because of this, DC is still allowed to use the name for the character, but can't use it on the cover or advertising (which is why all Captain Marvel books since then have just used "Shazam!" in their title instead of the character's name).

To make things even more fun, Marvel has had half a dozen characters who've used the name "Captain Marvel," of whom Carol Danvers is only one.

Also they eventually gave up and changed his name to Shazam too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

People talk about Super Mario Bros. in the same way, though to be fair there are literally magic mushrooms in the game. It was just Miyamoto being creative.

That's probably from Alice in Wonderland anyway, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's always amusing when someone talks about how original something they encountered in a video game was when it's something the game maker just took from some classic literature or film.

Kojima is a gigantic film nerd and he just lifts from movies most people aren't familiar with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel overtook DC the first time in the late 60s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlimited is 6 months behind so House/Powers will start going up in January.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Isn't almost every single (Rob Liefeld) Image comic from the 90's kind of like this. First one or two issues come out, then nothing for about 8 months, then maybe an issue, then nothing again, then possibly a reboot? Also, wasn't there some weird stuff going on with some Image/some other publisher who I can't be arsed to remember crossover where the issues from the image side were months behind causing a lot of grief for the other publisher who was expecting to rake in the big Image bucks?

Yeah, that's Deathmate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was Bob Layton and he sat on Liefeld's doorstep until he finished, then inked the art himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bessantj posted:

Something I hate about Bendis is that way he'll have two characters and their dialogue is

"I went to the mall today!"
"Really?"
"Yes."
"To the mall."
"Yes, by myself."
"The mall on your own?"
"Yes."

It's annoying.

And, I've just found out Spider-Man killed his wife with radioactive sperm and Gwen Stacey had sex with Norman Osborn and gave birth to twins who hate Spider-Man. What (in your opinions.) is the stupidest thing that has happened to Spider-Man?

This is just Seinfeld.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Billy has the wisdom of a guy from thousands of years ago. It's probably just a lot of useless trivia today.

If Doctor Sivana is ever trying to overcharge for a horse after time traveling to 937BC though watch the gently caress out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Spider-Man suit in a trashcan cover (was that a cover or an interior?) could be really nice with some real distance between Peter and the suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't follow all of his resurrection bullshit, but I've read almost every issue of every X-Men thing since Hickman got the reins (I didn't read all of Fallen Angels, but I don't think original flavor Wolverine was in that at all) and the Hot Claws have come up literally zero times and I have no idea what new villain you are talking about. There's a psychic Pale Lady in his new solo book that seems like a new villain but maybe it's related?

Also he's died and been resurrected at least twice since Hickman's taken over the line.

He lost the hot claws before Dawn of X.

Edit: And the villain he means is probably Persephone? She died in Return of Wolverine.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 26, 2020