Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's Captain Marvel. I would love it if they went more towards his old character again.

You and me both. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Johns/Frank's Shazam! stuff was great. I'd really like that continuing series sometime this year.

Johns is one of the worst Captain Marvel writers I've ever seen. I recently went on a Captain Marvel comic binge and it just drove home to me how bad Johns is at understanding the character or getting why they work when compared to basically any of the other good writers on the character. There are a thousand things you can do with Captain Marvel that are more interesting than Johns bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacejung posted:

My favorite BSS-ism is when someone states that there are a thousand better things that could be done with a given character, but deigns not to mention even a single one. It's always a thousand though.

Marvel works because he is aspirational. Not aspirational in the way that Superman is but aspirational in the way that he is an avatar of future potential. A well-written Captain Marvel is optimistic not because jeez whiz golly holy moley but because he embodies a genuine childlike view of the world tempered by wisdom. He wants to do better in an unselfish and uncomplicated way and the best Marvel stories involve balancing honest genuine desire to do good with understanding that 'honest genuine desire to do good' isn't as simple a story as punching the bad guy until they go away and very often punching the villain isn't the solution.

Johns lacks the childlike enthusiasm necessary to really write Captain Marvel well. He is too cynical and too buried in the atmosphere of the DC Universe to make the character work. If you were going to do Captain Marvel in the new universe, especially as a backup story that doesn't have to sustain his own book, then he should be bright, optimistic and maybe even an out of place because when a kid thinks of superheroes, they're not thinking of the Nu52 atmosphere that heroes have.

This doesn't mean it has to be all bright sunshine and cheerfulness. There are countless Captain Marvel stories that deal with serious subject matter. The old Fawcett Marvel stories had plenty like that, including a surprisingly disturbing story where Captain Marvel dealt with a massive nuclear world war and could only watch helplessly as people died of radiation poisoning. The Power of Shazam had a story where Billy dealt with the fact that one of his battles left a friend of his horrifically burned and even his powers as Captain Marvel couldn't help him. You can do dark stories with a bright character but you have to be willing to dark for reasons beyond cynicism or a goofy desire to seem adult.

You want to know what I want to see?
This.

Or this

Not this

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacejung posted:

Did you finish the Johns arc? He doesn't beat Black Adam by punching him.

Yes, he beats Black Adam in a much shittier version of how he (or rather, Uncle Dudley) beat Black Adam in the original Black Adam story. It is not just punching but it is Johns going for a reference and not doing a good job in it.

spacejung posted:

The archetypal millennial child is much more selfishly motivated than the conservative 50's or 60's button-up kid. Batson doesn't necessarily have to be written as the millennial archetype, but you have to admit it would present a strange contrast if he was presented as some kind of sainted boy scout.

The "archetypal millennial child' in that way is just the product of bitter adults sure that kids are getting worse. I work with children on a regular basis and they are not selfish little shits or perfect angels. They're kids. Approaching it from that perspective is exactly why Johns is wrong for the writing role.

There's a reason I'm not just referencing Fawcett Marvel but also Jeff Smith or Power of Shazam or the many other times Billy has been written in other ways. You don't have to do it Exactly Like Fawcett. I mean to some degree Fawcett's version of Billy is pretty far in the opposite direction because I assume kids were still kids even in the 50s. However you also can't view it from 'kids these days are just selfish" or something like that. That's an adult writing 'kids these days' and I can firmly say I think that is wrong for CM.

spacejung posted:

As far as Captain Marvel as an aspirational character, any chance at growth for him was instantly derailed by Forever Evil (although his first act in FE was a selfless, childlike act that immediately backfired on Billy and the Justice League, I don't think you'd disapprove of it if you read it). It seems that the rumors of his solo series ever coalesced into anything unfortunately so I guess we'll have to wait to see what the next crack at him looks like.

It's hard to judge that particular story because Forever Evil is sort of the definition of 'everything goes to poo poo,' unfortunately. I do like Billy's attempt to do something good but as you said it just sort of goes to hell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Let's tackle this from a different angle. Is Johns' take on Captain Marvel inherently bad, or just a bad fit for the character? What if he were writing a new version of, say, Prime?

I think the concept is not inherently bad divorced from Captain Marvel but I don't think Johns is the writer to pull it off. I also don't think Nu52 is the place to do it but that is neither here nor there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Some Nu52 vol 1s on sale. Thinking of grabbing Shazam and Flash. Are they good?

Flash is pretty good. I didn't think much of Shazam but some people really liked it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NoMoneyDown posted:

Also please get rid of Professor Pyg ASAP. No one gives a gently caress.

This is the wrongest it is possible to be. Professor Pyg is the best new Batman villain. Unironically, dude is freaky as poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wouldn't care about the marriage being gone if it didn't mean having to deal with the long tedious boring Wonder Woman romance that never works and nobody can ever justify beyond 'they both powerful.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It does not help that you know its never going to last. You know that Lois and Clark are going to get back together.

I wouldn't even mind the "it won't last" part if it wouldn't last in an interesting way instead of trying to shoehorn two characters together because they're headliners.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

Nightwing is dead/cancelled, long live "Grayson".

In essence, Nightwing will "die" at the end of Forever Evil, and the superheroes outside of Batman will think he's dead, but he's gonna be an undercover agent. So basically the DCU now has their Winter Soldier. Joy.

Every new wave of solicits makes me hate DC more and more.

Boy, I'm sure that will last.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry but DC only cares about who the characters were when Geoff Johns was growing up.

Now now. Characters Geoff Johns didn't personally like are just as likely to get screwed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

She was portrayed vaguely Hispanic.

Uh, when was this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't it also end with Batman maybe killing The Joker, or was that Grant Morrisson spitting nonsense at Kevin Smith?

That was absolute nonsense. People checked Moore's script and there is no mention of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, erasing Booster's memory was the shittiest thing you could do for him as a character. They don't seem to get that because they have no idea whatsoever of why people like characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was really Batman's fault for not figuring out Max Lord was evil all along despite that making no loving sense whatsoever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I recently found this blog from a prolific poster on the CBR boards and I'm enjoying a lot reading his thoughts on DC

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/

He raises a lot of good points and the way he's handling the posts (going for lines of books) makes the whole thing a treat to read.

So far he's tackled on Superman, Batman and GL's lines while also giving some insight on DC's movie tactics.

The first thing I read took it as self-evident that marriage was an obstacle to 'modern storytelling' which basically tells me everything I need to know about that.

quote:

Wiping out the marriages seemed the best way to free the characters for greater growth.

Is up there for the most pathetic DC-apologist bullshit I've ever seen. The argument is literally that marriage, long-term partners and children all deny characters growth.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You mean the Batwoman piece? The guy isn't defending the notion, he's just laying the facts at how DC Editors see the things now:

He is absolutely defending it. he ends with

quote:

Slowing down the relationship between her and her fiancée makes much more sense in that context. It’s just too bad some readers couldn’t see it.

and puts the blame on the readers for not 'understanding' DC's bullshit. The entire argument is built on accepting the idea that marriage is the opposite of growth and advancement and that's... well, that's kind of pathetic and sad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And again, he's just sharing his thoughts on the matter, you can agree or disagree with them but the fact remains he raises some really good points on his posts.

That is the thing. He doesn't. He doesn't make a single good point. The closest to his point is "DC's editorial standpoint is this" without actually analyzing why that is a good thing or why readers should 'understand' it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The way I'm reading the post, his point is more about how the marriage was poorly planned since the beginning, he gives his reason of this (the DC's editorial standpoint part)and closes with the reason on why Anderyko was brought to write the title. Of course there's more to the book than the marriage issue but is the main thing brought when talking about Batwoman nowadays.

The thing is that he doesn't really. He says it was poorly planned largely because it was against DC's editorial fiat of "no marriage except for marriage."

In addition he argues from the viewpoint (again, of DC Editorial) that Batwoman had to be brought 'in' to the rest of the universe and that it was somehow a mistake or wrong for it not to be engaged in the multi-issue megacrossover bullshit that so frequently derails other books. Animal Man itself is a fantastic example of why taking a good story and forcing it into megacrossoverville is a terrible idea but one that DC editorial refuses to keep flogging because they can't figure out any other way to sell books.

I don't disagree that his arguments match what DC Editorial thinks, but the problem I have is that "what DC editorial thinks" isn't a really good excuse.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how in the "dark future" version of the Power Girl/Huntress image, Power Girl is replaced by a black woman and that is how you know it is ALL WRONG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I hope the exact opposite. I don't want to deal with stupid ironic grimdark Captain Carrot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, last time we saw an antropomorphic Rabbit on the N52 was like this:

Now that's gritty and grimdark :v:

Oh right, Not Rocket Raccoon Really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, it's really depressing to realize that this kind of confirms that Barry Allen effectively murdered Wally West.

I mean there's a Wally West in this new universe but he does not resemble the original character in any way, shape or form. If you gave him a different name he could be a new character. The original was erased from existence. Happened to other heroes too but like, Clark Kent at the end of the day was Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne was Bruce Wayne. Wally West? Nah, he's been replaced.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't understand that fixation for diversity nowadays.

Here is a good reason for diverity:

The "white = default" thing is a serious problem because even on just a purely visual level, ignoring literally everything about culture or different social experiences, people instinctively jump to white = main hero because it is almost all they are ever shown and that carries over to real people in the real world. Even 'meaningless' diversity is important because it cuts down on the image as white = default protagonist and puts forth the idea that anyone can be a hero.

Superhero comics were started during an insanely loving racist time and that is a serious problem. DC comics is unwilling to evolve from that time. They want to cling to their goddamn status quo insanely hard and are terrified that they might have to step away from childhood nostalgia. Even their attempts at diversity are kind of goddamn pathetic if you look at it.

"Hey guys, Green Lantern is gay! Haha, no, not any of the ones people commonly associate with the Green Lantern name and certainly not the one we'd put in a film but still! Green Lantern! Gay!"

"Hey guys, we made Wally West black! You like that, right? I mean he isn't really The Flash and he never will be because there's no way on Earth we're ever killing Barry Allen off again but it's sort of like having a black major superhero."

"Hey guys! The Huntress is black now! No, not Batgirl. Not Batwoman either! In fact, not actually the Huntress even! Instead this is an character who WAS the Huntress at some point in an alternate timeline but we have a different Huntress! She's black though so we qualify as diverse now, right?"

What we need is diversity in creators as well but the solution isn't "Well, don't even bother trying!" It isn't even what DC is doing and just randomly changing character's skin color. It is to let your goddamn universe evolve instead of trying to frantically shoehorn it into what it was like when you were a teenager. DC had a good thing going with legacy heroes which would have, over time, allowed them to evolve and then they cut it out and ran goddamn backwards with it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The disclaimer shows up more than once on the editorial, and the way I'm interpreting is that he's advocating for a permament change on DC's roster of teams by putting those diverse characters on places where they can be developed and not just putting them on the JL where they'll eventually will fade out.

The big flaw with this argument is that there are demonstrable examples of Justice League incarnations where obscure or smaller characters were defined by their time on the league. If you want a big (if still white) example, look at Elongated Man and his wife who are largely defined by their time in the various Leagues in addition to backup stories.

It's a stupid argument that shows a serious ignorance of actual comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Er, he actually talks about Elongated Man, Red Tornado and Vixen as being a great addition to the JL but one that can't be applied with the N52's JL.

Yes, and the second part of that makes no sense at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Amusingly, Kotal Kahn from Mortal Kombat X looks more like an aztec superhero.

You are god damned amazing. :psyduck:

"Hmm, yes, the character based around self-mutiliation, ritual sacrifice and heart-ripping, that is a more accurate Aztec superhero."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, I'm aware. Your idea of a superhero is 'take literally the most negative stereotypes and concepts of a culture and make them into a character."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... That isn't a big sword! That isn't a big sword at all! It's actually a rather tiny sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't Nu Lobo's entire thing that he wanted to kill Lobo Prime?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

If they bring it back it makes all the whining kind of pointless.

Let me tell you about a guy named Wally West.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, they brought back Rocket Red?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Things are spinning out of control for the Outlaws when Roy realizes that he’s the only member of the team not abusing drugs!" is the most amazing thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really like this. This is how he should have been in the main universe.

Thank god. That is exactly what I want from captain Marvel. I am super crazy goddamn hype for that story.

The phrase "pure and great and non-ironic" is something that should be indelibly connected to Captain Marvel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The interesting thing about modern Superman is that he's basically old-school Captain Marvel. A combination of attempting to mimic Marvel (when he was popular) and getting some of Marvel's writers after the legal clusterfuck basically lead to a lot of Marvel's traits being grafted onto Superman. Old-school Superman was a lot more adult power fantasy than the guy we have now.

I'm really curious to see how Morrison handles it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Was Taters posted:

If this ends up with Dead Kyle I'll be irritated.

He's not going to die but he is going to be shafted even further into irrelevance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am so hype for Multiversity.

quote:

Issue 5 is Thunderworld, with the classic CC Beck style Shazam. Cameron Stewart came onto the project after Morrison simply announced him as that artist, without actually asking him to do it first!

"Grant mentioned it to me as this is the "All-Star Superman" for Shazam/Captain Marvel," Stewart said.

So loving hype.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 26, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Is there a higher res image of that multiversity map? If not I can type out the text on the side if you want to read it. I got a poster

If you could that'd be awesome. I haven't seen a higher-res one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, is that goddamn event still going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hup posted:

I'll admit I haven't been following either, but why is that bad

My understanding is that one of the big reveals recently was that the angel was in love with a man. Which people considered somewhat interesting and progressive because, hey, two guys. So once that reveal happened boom, lady.

• Locked thread