Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Image is offering 50% off its 10 Eisner-nominated works from April 16-21 across a variety of vendors, including Comixology. There's some great stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Comixology updated their app and the way you can buy comics; it doesn't seem like you can purchase directly through the app any more.

Important changes to Android and iOS Apps
Android:
We’ve made changes to our Google Play Android Comics App so please, update to version 3.6. In this new version we have a new comiXology in-app purchase system and a great new cart feature, one of our most requested features.
In the new app, you may be prompted to update your payment information to continue purchasing books. This is a one-time action after which you can purchase inside the app.
iPhone & iPad:
We have introduced a new comiXology iPhone and iPad Comics App and are retiring the old one. iPhone and iPad users will now buy comics on comixology.com and download to the app. All your purchased books will be readable in the new app once you’ve downloaded it and taken the following steps:
If you don’t have a comiXology account, go to comiXology.com to create one, or create one in the original Comics app!
In the original Comics app, log into your comiXology account.
Sync your in-app purchases to your comiXology account by tapping the Restore button on the Purchases tab.
Download the new comiXology app. This will be your new home downloading and reading comics.
Start shopping on comiXology.com. New web purchases will appear in the “In Cloud” tab in our new app.
If you have comics downloaded in the old app, no problem! You can continue to read them there without re-downloading to the new app.
Last, but not least, to thank our loyal customers and ease this transition, we are offering a $5 eGift Card credit to all those who have purchased through the comiXology platform in the past. This credit will be automatically applied throughout the day to those accounts who are eligible and all of those eligible have 30 days to purchase books with that credit. Enjoy!
Thanks, everyone!
comiXology Team

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Basically gently caress Apple and I'm glad comiXology made a move to divert profits from the middle man, hopefully to the creators/publishers.

As a matter of policy, Amazon will take the 30% that Apple no longer can.

The loss of the ease of use the comixology app afforded in downloading comics means I'll be buying as many comics as I can straight from the publisher. About half of my pull list is Image anyway, and their digital storefront is pretty decent.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

As someone who's very deep in the Amazon ecosystem I'm excited to see what comes next. Maybe there will be free tpbs to borrow with Prime, or additional discounts.

I'm deep in their ecosystem too, but not one thing about this merger has benefited the consumer so far.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Yeah, that's ridiculous, even better in some instances than the Image Eisner sale a couple of weeks ago.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Image updated their Humble Bundle with the first trades of Manhattan Projects and Invincible: https://www.humblebundle.com/?imagecomics_bundle&utm_source=imagecomics&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Humble%20Image%20Comics%20Bundle

Pretty meh, but if you missed out on this the first time there's still some great comics to be had for the average price of $9.62.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking at the X-Men books that are on sale. Is the X-Men series (The one with the all women cast) any good? If it is, is there anything I have to know before hand?

Also, when I buy the trade versions of books on comixology, for example The Dark Phoenix Saga, Does it give me it as each separate issue that makes up the book or do I get one book?

Regarding X-Men, you don't really need to know anything going in. As for its quality, I dropped it after a few issues as I thought it lacked personality, but Wood has always left me pretty cold as a writer so ymmv.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

You better use that quick, when Amazon bought Comixology a lot of people got screwed out because they couldn't use their iTunes stuff any more.

If I'm not mistaken, you could still use your iTunes account to purchase comics through each publisher's own app, though. Comixology licensed Viz's content, they didn't buy Viz outright as Amazon bought Comixology.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

It's one of my favorites. Maybe read the first issue or two to see if it's your cup of tea?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Comixology sent out a survey today, and a fairly significant component was asking about which Amazon features people would like seeing integrated into the buying/reading experience, including Amazon sign-in and payments, one-click purchasing, applicability of Amazon gift cards, X-Ray, Matchbook, and a few more.

So, it looks like they're thinking of implementing some of these which - depending on how tied into Amazon's ecosystem you are - could be a real boon.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

I get the same error on a few bundles in that offer, so you're probably not a moron. Probably.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Comixology announced that customers can now download DRM-free back-ups of the comics you buy: http://gizmodo.com/you-can-finally-...dium=socialflow

Edit: beaten

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

There's a big sale of Dark Horse omnibuses: https://digital.darkhorse.com/genre/171/

How do people rate Dr. McNinja?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, someone mind selling me on Deadly Class? The names behind it sound good but I know literally nothing about it.

It's my favorite ongoing right now and, besides Saga, the only comic in recent memory to make me laugh out loud. The story is oooookay so far, but it's filled with great little moments and the art is terrific.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

unl33t posted:

The Kindle Deal of the Day includes Gotham Central vol. 1 for $2.99. That price is not currently matched by Comixology, I kinda hope it is because I really don't like the Kindle format for reading comics and I'm pretty interested in checking it out-on the other hand I am picking up the Stray Bullets bundle, and I believe that's going to put my Comixology collection over 2,500 titles (which includes a couple omnibuses) so I really don't actually need anything more to read.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gotham Central on sale at Comixology when the television series premieres, if you're looking for a reason to skip the Kindle version.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Zoe posted:

I'm really new to this whole Comixology thing. The site looks great, but before I go crazy wasting spending money on comics, is there a way to download them for offline reading on a Kindle? Or do you have to be connected and using their app at all times?

If there's a Comixology app for Kindle, than yes, you should be able to download and read them. That is how the app works for iOS, at least. If you want to test the experience, you can always try with some of the issues they have online for free.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Panel Syndicate released their first non-BKV title today with Universe!, by Albert Monteys. Apparently he's very well known in Spain, I don't know. Pay what you want for it: http://panelsyndicate.com

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Is there a difference between the apps and Comixology on what's available on sales? Seems like less of Teen Titans sale is on the app. The exchange rate has gotten poo poo out here recently and buying through the app is cheaper.

I'm a bit confused; what app are you referencing? Comixology killed the ability to purchase through the app soon after they were acquired from Amazon...

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

When Comixology was bought by Amazon they removed the ability to purchase on the iPhone/iPad app because competition :doom: and other

My bad, totally forgot that Comixology has an Android app.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

SlothBear posted:

What uh...what is this about?

Rat Queens' artist abused his wife and has since been kicked off the book.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

onefish posted:

ComicZeal for iPad is very usable for CBRs and CBZs. If you download a CBZ, you can use iTunes to load it directly into your iPad ComicZeal library. I think these instructions are basically accurate, and once you've done it once, it's simple: https://comiczeal.tenderapp.com/kb/getting-comics-onto-your-device/loading-comics-using-usb-itunes-file-sharing

I like Comic Zeal so much I even use it for files I download from Comixology (as I like having everything in a single app, if possible). Side-loading into it via iTunes is a breeze, too.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Has anyone used Scribd? I want to sign up a service and not sure if I should do that or Unlimited

Scribd is a great idea with really poor execution. I would wait until they refine it more before giving it a try.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Thinking about jumping from an iPad mini to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8-inch. What is the favored app for reading CBR files on Android?

Currently happy with ComicZeal on iOS and since it would be a smaller tablet, the vast majority of comics would be read in landscape mode.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Dark Horse is officially on Comixology: https://www.comixology.com/Dark-Horse-Debut/page/7098?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's fine for me. I read fit-to-width landscape and it's big enough.

Seconding this.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Jedi posted:

orgasmic joy

There's a reeeeeeeeally good reason for this.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

onefish posted:

Okay, for some reason I am failing to get to this answer by Google -- and by the lack of info and my inability to do it myself, it looks like no -- but can I apply Amazon credit (or any of the credit card points that I can pay with on Amazon.com) or Amazon Gift Cards to Amazon Payments so that I can use that credit to buy comics?

Try reaching out to Comixology on Twitter. They're normally good about answering questions like this.

Edit: what you could do - once your accounts have been merged - is buy comics through Amazon using gift cards / points, and then read them through the Comixology app?

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2015

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does anyone know what happened with Viz? Looks like they took down almost everything they had including one-punch man. I was looking to buy the rest of the available volumes today. :smith:

Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked Amazon? I just got the first volume of OSM from there. Maybe they're moving some of the listings over?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Dynamite/comics-publisher/5-0?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

I'll recommend the Howard Chaykins; The Shadow: Blood & Judgment, American Flagg! and Black Kiss (depending on your disposition) Haven't tried Power & Glory
Jeff Parker's Flash Gordon
James Bond
Gail Simone's Red Sonja
Shaft

Jeff Parker's run on Flash Gordon was one of my favorites last year. Shaner on art and Bellaire on colors. Some pulpy goodness there.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Everybody should read Vinland Saga.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Pardon the double post:

Humble IDW Creator Showcase Bundle. As usual with these things, tons of great comics starting at $5. $18 gets you the entire Locke & Key series.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/creator-showcase-comics-bundle

And all of the Parker series, as well, if I'm not mistaken. If nobody's read either Locke & Key and Parker, that is a ridiculous deal.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Marvel joined Comixology Unlimited.

Does anyone even still have a sub to CU?

It seems the selection is very limited, though: http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-joins...dium=socialflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

digital distribution won't be affected.

I have not heard any statement specifically mentioning that digital distribution would continue. Have you?