Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Digital comics have grown significantly in the last few years. Here's a place to discuss them (and post about sales!).

UPDATE 2021: A lot has changed in the landscape of digital comics since this was originally written, but the basics are still relevant. Mostly, the market is cololessing around comiXology, with several of the smaller services closing (eg, Image no longer runs their own store). And the app recommendations may no longer be the apps of choice. Also, local libraries offer digital downloads for check out for free; support your library and see what they have on offer! I'm not making an effort to keep the OP up to date, but feel free to ask questions in the thread.

Why read digital comics?
People get digital comics for the same reason they buy mp3s or use Netflix: you have virtually unlimited access to your collection anywhere you go, there's no physical clutter to deal with, and it's easier to buy comics with a couple of clicks on your computer than to trek down to the store, especially if you live in the boonies or are overseas.

Tell me more!
Currently, there are three main models for digital comics:
-Buy books from an ecosystem like comiXology. You own these books, but they are tied to the service; there is no moving them to a different system. This is analogous to how Kindle operates. (Update: select publishers are now allowing DRM-free "backups" to be downloaded in PDF and CBZ format directly from comiXology.)

-Buy DRM-free files in the form of PDF or CBZ/CBR. This is like buying DRM-free mp3s and playing them wherever you'd like. These files are usually found from Indie creators, as Kickstarter rewards, and, recently, bigger players like Image are getting in the game.

-Getting an unlimited access monthly subscription ala Netflix. Currently, Marvel and Archie are the only companies doing this. (Update: Scribd has entered the comics game, but reports are that the reader isn't that good. There are a few more publishers beyond Marvel to check out here.)

Where can I get my comics fix?
comiXology - comiXology is the big dog in the house. Nearly every publisher has their books available here same day as print, they have a guided view designed to make reading on smaller screens (even phones), they are on virtually every platform (iOS, Android, Kindle, Windows 8, and a web based reader for everything else), and feature frequent sales. Most books cost as much as their physical counterparts, but drop in price after a few months.

comiXology Unlimited - comiXology recently unveiled an "unlimited" service for $5.99/month. All you can read from a lot of the major publishers (minus Marvel or DC), but appears to be targeted at new readers, generally only serving up the first few issues of any given series.

Dark Horse Digital - Dark Horse is the only big player not on comiXology, instead opting for their own store and apps. Their service is based on comiXology's technology, so the experiences are similar. Dark Horse offers bundles of comics at a discount, which is nice.

Marvel Digital - Marvel started off separate like Dark Horse, but they eventually combined forces with comiXology. You can link the two accounts and anything you get at one is available at the other. There is no reason to buy direct from Marvel's site except for this being the place you redeem the free digital codes they give out with many of their physical books.

Comics Plus - Another competitor with comiXology. There is a lot of overlap between the two, but Comics Plus has a few more small publishers that want to stay independent of comiXology.

Image Comics, 2000 A.D., Heavy Metal, Panel Syndicate, and Top Shelf - DRM-free comics are still in the hands of the small guys, but Image opened up their entire catalog to PDF, CBR, and ePub downloads last year. Top Shelf followed suit at the beginning of this year at a smaller scale, but include discounted bundles with their physical books. I'll be happy to add some of the other bigger publishers if you let me know!

Marvel Unlimited - Marvel's all you can read monthly subscription service. The books available tend to lag about six months behind what is current, but it's a great way of binging on older runs for a few bucks a month.

MU is notoriously troublesome to navigate. Check out Nightcrawler (get it?), which scrapes title information from MU and presents it in an easy digestible way.

Guess Nightcrawler is no longer a thing.

Baby Proof posted:

It looks like Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators is still up and scraping. It's not particularly friendly, especially for non-PC browsing, but it has some useful indexing. I used to use the yearly summary for browsing Marvel Unlimited:

http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/dat2018.htm

Scribd - Scribd recently added comics to their selection. Like Marvel Unlimited, you pay a monthly fee and can read all that you want. Currently, they have titles from Marvel, IDW, Top Cow, Top Shelf, Dynamite stuff, Archie, BOOM, Valiant, and Zenescope.

Comicsfix - Another all you can read service. There's a smaller selection than Scribd, but some big names (Dynamite and Valiant) with a lot of creator owned indie books.

Archie Comics - Archie splits their selection between different apps (Archie, Sonic, MegaMan). You can buy them individually, or take part in the inexpensive subscription service. A good deal if you like those books, have kids, or want to know why Archie is fighting zombies.

Humble Book Bundle - The people that have been selling you tons of great PC and mobile games for pay-what-you-want have gotten into the ebook game. They don't always do comics, but when they do, you can get many books for whatever you want to pay with unlocked bonus books for under $15. These all come as DRM-free PDF, ePub, and CBZ files.

How do I read these amazing things?
With the services, sign in, buy some books, and go to town! They all have web based readers for reading at your computer, plus apps for iOS and Android (and comiXology has a (pretty bad) Windows 8 app). For the DRM-free books, you'll have to download the files to your computer and deal with storage on your own (I suggest using something like Dropbox to get books to your phone or tablet). Use your favorite reader for PDFs and ePubs. CBZ/CBR files require a special reader like CDisplayEX (Windows), FFView (Mac), Comic Flow (iOS), or Komik (Android).

More apps are listed in the second post.

Tablets seem to be the best way of getting a good reading experience. Things like the iPad, Nexus 7, Nook HD, Kindle Fire, or Surface should all work great.

Questions? Problems? Need help getting started? Want advice on a reader? Heard of a great sale? That's what this thread is for!

(Don't ask about :filez: We like our creators to get paid!)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Reading CBZ/CBRs
Here are some apps that you can use to read CBZ and CBR files on your devices.

A CBZ is just a container of images. It is made by placing image files (usually JPGs) into a *.ZIP file and renaming the extension to *.CBZ. You can reverse the process, renaming a *.CBZ to a *.ZIP and extracting the images.

A CBR file is the same thing, but using a *.RAR file for the container.

Windows
CDisplay EX - Fast and light reader that has the nice ability of letting Windows create thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Warning: be careful upon install, there's a 3rd party installation that you should cancel or you'll get browser add-ons you don't want.
(I can't recommend this in good conscience anymore.)

ComicRack - ComicRack goes beyond being a reader and into a library organization tool. It helps you organize comics with tags and includes iOS and Android apps designed to help transfer files to your tablets.

Toshimo posted:

I've been using YACReader for years on windows and it's the best approximation of OG CDisplay, and I think it has a Chocolatey package if you are into that.
https://www.yacreader.com/

MacOS
FFView

iOS
Comic Zeal - Reader with the ability to import files through WiFi and cloud based services.

CloudReaders

ComicFlow - Reader with the ability to import files through iTunes or over WiFi.

ComicRack - Your app to use with the desktop app.

Android
Komik - Bare bones reader that reads comics that you manually have to copy to your device.

Comics Reader - Bare bones reader that reads comics that you manually have to copy to your device. A little more complicated than Komik, but with more options.

Astonishing Comic Reader - A newcomer to Android. Modern UI and works without a complicated setup and allows for collection organization. Works with Dropbox for file transfer and backup of collection data.

ComicRack Free and Paid - Your apps to use with the desktop app.

Heavy Metal posted:

Perfect Viewer is a great viewer for Android I use.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rookiestudio.perfectviewer&gl=US

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 11, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They took a long time to respond last time I had to contact them. I've had that happen not that long ago and ended up doing some detective work and some guessing (there was a pattern to the codes of successive issues).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was just able to reset mine no problem.

Edit: but I can't seem to log in on my phone...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 6, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

loudog999 posted:

The Marvel Unlimited app on iPad just got another update.

Seems like they rewrote the app to be iOS native (Android soon) and faster. And added multimedia capabilities?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57620087-93/finally-marvels-ready-for-you-to-hear-its-comics-scoop/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't think it's a problem. There's never been any talk about organizing a buy/trade system here, but would probably be cool if you wanted to set something up in SAMart.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

gfanikf posted:

The only thing I've been wondering is how does listing a local store as the source, when redeeming it with marvel, affect the store, ie does it hurt or help the store. Because if he hurts them I'd just try and use a misc type option.

I'm assuming it helps them. The problem I have is that there are two Acme Comics in IL, ironically the two closest stores to me. I hope I'm picking the right one. :ohdear:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

2000 AD also offers a boatload of DRM-free comics (which means you have no excuse not to buy all the complete Dredd case files!), and Heavy Metal also has some (although not that much).

Cool, I'll add them. I don't want to put every single publisher ever on the list as it'll be way too much, but will do any of the bigger ones.

Oh, hey, I wanted to read Dredd: The Underbelly. Sweet!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Comixology's offering $5 off the following five collections until the end of the month when you use the code MARVEL5OFF:

It's telling me:
"You're not eligible for the 'Get $5 off 5 bestselling Marvel collections!' promotion."

Why?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Alright!

Randomly, I was reading my friend's Captain America 16.NOW and noticed that the digital code gives you issue #16 and the first collection containing the first 5 issues. That's pretty cool of Marvel, though kind of a waste for those who have been reading the book since the beginning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Brand New Day sale. There's some good comics, there. 555-557. 575-576. 630-633 (Shed). Whatever the issues with Rhino were.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

New issue of Private Eye is up. For those that don't know, it's Marcos Martin and BKV doing a noir comic set in the future. It's pay what you wish, so you can check out all the issues for free if you want (leave a tip at the end if you enjoy it!).

http://panelsyndicate.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just set up BitTorrent Sync to sync my big files (music and videos) between my computers. I tried using it to send comics to my tablet. It worked good. I could pull up any folder (comics separated by title) and download the whole thing with one click.

Komik has been giving me problems opening those files, though. I need to play with it some more. I'm guessing the file path is too long, maybe? I installed a different CBR reader that works, but is missing some really basic features.

This is all Android, btw.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Interesting. Amazon is everywhere and I have less concern of them shuttering their doors than comiXology. Still, I have less hope in them getting rid of DRM (though Amazon got rid of it in their mp3s, they still have it for their Kindle books).

I'm going to be more comfortable with keeping my credit card info with Amazon than comiXology.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it means that one can fianly sort their purchaces such that I don't need to trall thoguh the 100 #1s I got of all of Marvel's poo poo that one time so I can read Ms. Marvel or redownload Megaman then sure.

I was just thinking of how awful Amazon is if you want to find a specific volume of a long running series or if you are looking for floppy comics (which, to be fair, are always from 3rd party sellers). I hope they keep digital comics in their own separate section organized with long form story telling in mind and not just lumped in with the rest of the site.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Taerkar posted:

How good is the Immortal Iron Fist that Comixology has on sale today?

$.99 per issue, $29.99 for a 35-issue bundle.

It's awesome. The first 16 issues are the classic Fraction/Aja run (looks like it's missing an Annual and two one-shots (Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death, The Origin of Danny Rand)). I thought the stuff after dipped in quality at first, then became great again by the end.

Do you like Hawkguy? You'll like Iron Fist.

Edit: whoa, the bundle includes the one-shots and Immortal Weapons issues. Still think there's an annual missing.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Image is offering 50% off its 10 Eisner-nominated works from April 16-21 across a variety of vendors, including Comixology. There's some great stuff in there.

Awesome!

Image Comics' site really needs a way to add a run of issues to your cart. It's always been slow to refresh and going to each comic one at a time is a pain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Also, Pretty Deadly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not buying all at once is why I hardly ever got stuff through the Android app. Now I can!

It depends where I am to how to going to buy. It's sometimes easier to not put in payment info and just go through Google. It's sometimes easier to just sit at a computer and use a keyboard and mouse to browse.

I dunno, I kinda enjoy going through Image's site and downloading files and putting them in folders, so convenience never mattered much to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If you can still do it on Android it must not be a cost issue.

Maybe Apple decided to be arbitrary assholes again now that they're owned by a competitor.

They did remove Google from the buying process on Android. The difference is Google doesn't care if you offer your own store within the app that bypasses them, so you can still buy things from the app. That's why you now have to put in your payment info into the app unlike before.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

What app would people recommend for reading these on Android? (Nexus 7)

What's the format? For CBR/CBZ I like Komik, but it hasn't been working for me lately on my Nook. :'(

I've been using Comics Reader while I find out what's wrong with Komik. It works, but there are issues I have with it (don't see how to look at page thumbnails, can't seem to pinch-to-zoom, setting up a library is a pain).

If it's PDF, I've yet to find a good solution. My devices always seem to slow down and flipping pages quickly always causes stuff to freeze.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

They give it as a PDF, EPUB, .cbr, and .cbz.

Looks like there's a button to load it straight into my Google Books library so I'll see how that pans out.
e: it's not a button it's a drop-down set of instructions as to how to upload them yourself so there's that.

I'll look into Komik, thanks!

Yeah, I always go with CBR/CBZ files every time. They just work better on tablets.

Google Books will convert PDFs into a format readable by the Google Books app. That works well except there is a file size limit for what the program will convert. So, doesn't work too well for big books/TPBs/collections. Good job! It's obviously designed for books of text, not comics. And sometimes things just don't covert even though they are supposed to and there is no way of telling why it didn't work or how to make it try again.

Personally, I use a cloud storage service and set Komik to look at that app's download folder. Then, any time something gets added to the folder, Komik will update with the new books and thumbnails and everything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Has a digital manga storefront come to the fore? I asked about a year ago, but maybe things have changed. Basically, I'd like to read Monster and wouldn't mind owning a copy of 20th Century Boys.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My friend reads single pages full screen just fine on the og Nexus 7 (some zooming needed on two page spreads). The new one should be even better with its screen resolution bump.

The newest iPad Mini should also work great. Same with Amazon's Kindle Fire (though I would go Nexus over Kindle unless you're a heavy Amazon user, especially of their video service).

Hell, my phone has a 4.65" 1280*720 screen and I can read the text of a full size comic page. I have to squint and it's not something I would want to do all day, but anything of at least that resolution but bigger should be fine.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Also, if you are looking at 7" tablets for the price and only want to read books/watch videos, the 9" Nook HD+ is a fantastic value. I'd rather get the Nexus 7 for gaming or more general purpose usage, but the Nook works great if you stick to comiXology, Netflix, and YouTube.

If you want a 7" for the size and portability, go with something more powerful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is X-Statix not available on comiXology?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

InShaneee posted:

Sadly, no. I'd buy that in a hot second.

Weird, I would have thought they would have put it up when they released the Omnibus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3D virtual reality comic book stores are the future!
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/1/5671438/john-carmack-virtual-reality-comic-book-shop

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dark Horse giving away free Star Wars comics.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/02/digital-comics-deals-ahead-of-free-comic-book-day/

(I know people dislike Bleeding Cool links here, but it's the easier way for me when posting on my phone.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Much thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is comiXology not doing Free Comic Book Day? Or does it just update later?

They usually have at least some of the books up. My store tends to have extras available during the week, too.

Speaking of:
196 Image Comics #1 issues: free
https://www.comixology.com/Image-Free-Firsts/list/2090

22 comiXology Submit comics: free (get Demeter, The Only Living Boy is pretty good, too)
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Free-comiXology-Submit-Comics-Limited-Time-Only/list/2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Batman and Son Deluxe for $6:
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

I haven't really read Morrison's Batman (other than a few things here and there), but I generally am up on what went on during his run. Is this something worth picking up and reading as a stand alone volume? It's a lot of comics for $6, $1 after using the $5 credit comiXology/Amazon gave away.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hope so, it's what I spent mine on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has there been any chatter about a merging of Kindle and comixology libraries? Kindle books can be dirt cheap sometimes, but the Kindle comics reader sucks. I have to imagine that there isn't a ton of incentive for them to maintain both technologies at this point, so a merge seems inevitable, but I wonder about a couple things:
- Will they merge a customer's Kindle and comixology libraries? Is it worth buying a really cheap Kindle book now, speculating that that we'll be able to read it in the comixology app down the road?
- What about books that are on Kindle but not comixology yet?
- Will prices in general move down to Kindle prices or up to comixology?

For example, Saga Vol. 1 is 5.30 on Kindle, 9.99 on comixology. March book 1 is 3.99 on Kindle, 7.99 on comixology. American Vampire Vol. 6 is 9.99 on Kindle, 14.99 on comixology.

Going back to this, I don't think anything official has been said and anything you've heard would be speculation.

Did Amazon sell audio books before buying Audible? Maybe you can look to that for an idea of what they will do. Seems like they are currently treating comiXology like they did Audible, from what I gather.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They also added the second volume of Saga.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

I was mad that I got this last week and missed out on some good books, but I checked my download link, and they added the new ones. Great deal!

Yeah, Humble Bundle is good about giving their later bonuses to the early backers, even if the average donation has gone up since you first gave. They be good people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My shop is fine for the big Marvel and DC books, but good luck on anything indie or a lower volume seller. I have a pull list there and get 1-3 books a week, but they have an annoying habit of forgetting to put books in your box and running out of extra copies (at noon on Wednesday!).

They're getting better and I don't pay full price for books on comiXology, so they're still my go to for big two books (well, Marvel books and Wonder Woman).

With Image being awesome, I'm slowly switching to all digital with them. Still getting Saga and Prophet from the store, Manhattan Projects and East of West in trade, but all new series from them I buy digitally from Image's site.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Scarlet Spider is on sale for .99. Go and buy it as it's an amazing series

Aw, dammit. My pile of books to read is way too big, but I can't pass up getting the second half of the run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LordPants posted:

My modest comic book collection contains every issue of Scarlet Spider.

Except like, the last Venom / Minimum Carnage Omega issues because gently caress that poo poo

Minimum Carnage Alpha and Omega are some of the few issues I paid full price for. :( (I had the Venom and Scarlet Spider issues and wanted the whole thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you use the code PATKER14, Marvel will give you "Special Edition Digital Exclusive Amazing Spider-Man #1, a $9.99 value" as a gift, so there's that...